astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/11/24/polearm-booming-blade/
sageadvice.eu/2016/03/12/can-you-combine-spell-sniper-war-caster-and-polearm-master-with-booming-blade/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

benis

What are the features you'd expect to see from a Shaman?

whoa, 4e is pretty good. What's with the hate?

reposting since last thread just ended

People hate it because it sucked

Put everything into charisma and if they catch you being sneaky just intimidate them into not ratting you out

As someone who liked 4e, I think it's mostly bad first impressions.

>Broken math on release
>Dramatic restructuring of how rulebooks were written
>Far more active combat system, where every side had multiple things to keep track of every round. This, with the broken math, made combat incredibly slow
>Rules written under the assumption that groups would be using a grid+minis

I think that once the errata and feat taxes are fixed, the game itself is rock solid and incredibly fun. It's just that the initial release was such a boring slog to learn and play that most people not only never bothered to play again, but never bothered to keep updated on the changes that were implemented.

In my last game I did a rogue/monk that was built around grapple and expertise in athletics. It was fun. He was mostly a monk than a rogue, but I played him as a brute criminal roguish half-orc dickhead.

Should I go Soul Knife or Immortal?

I like the theme and some abilities of Immortal more but being able to regain the equivalent to spell slots by murder seems incredibly useful.

Anyone played a Kobold before? How'd it go? I'm thinking of doing a Kobold Moon Druid for those pack tactics.

Hey /5eg/, what's a good one shot adventure I can master for new players?
Been DMing for a few months now, and I've got some friends that want to join but would rather first play a one shot.
I could do something in my own setting but maybe a written adventure would do better.

Had a lot of fun with a modified version of this.

Speak with spirits/extraplanar entities
Craft medicine brews

Either a druid, cleric, or warlock archetype desu.

The MMORPG style layout doesn't give the same feel as 5e, even if in both cases you could improvise an X.

Being a better rework of the druid.

Does the Mystic's Ogre and Giant forms stack with it's 5 ft reach the discipline gives normally?

How the hell can an RPG book have an "MMORPG style layout"?

I could see it being mechanically similar to a Warlock, with limited spell slots that come back on short rest and "nature invocations" or some such that give similar effects without needing spell slots.

Druid with Chainlock familliars.

I assume we're talking about what 3.5 called a Spirit Shaman (druid without wild shape) and not Dragon Shaman (weird aura support fire breathing dragonboo)?

Either Druid Archetype with spirits making him more of a skill monkey or another class that is either a full or half caster that can have spirits possess it for buffs

By being more comparable to an MMORPG than other editions of D&D in various terms, such as abilities and numbers scaling high as levels increase.
I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but I'd be surprised if someone tried to say that 5e was more like an MMORPG instead. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone likened 3.5e to it but I don't think the 3.5 clusterfuck is quite in that territory.

3e is, as we all know, nothing more than tabletop Diablo.

Yeah, focuses benefits are separate to the disciplines actives.

And yes that does mean you can make a retarded bug-bear who

I've found that bard is actually a pretty flavorful way to play a shaman character. Bang on the drum all day while channeling spirits. A *lot* of bard spells can be flavored as some sort of minor contact from the other side - and you can steal any spell you want. A bard with Spirit Guardians would be neat as heck.

can whack people from 30ft away with melee weapons.

If a druid is infected with a disease while in Wild Shape, do they stay diseased after returning to their true form? What about poisoned?

yes

Why wouldn't it

Thanks, what sub classes though.
Or is that not important?

As mentioned, if DM allows
>Multiclassing with UA content
Hexblade or Seeker and Sea Sorcerer, Close quarters shooting fighting style
Otherwise, fiend pact, dragon sorcerer and defense fighting style.

What are my players supposed to do with an Armor of Vulnerability? After removing the curse, I mean. Keep using it because it's the only armor available and is plate?

Hey /5eg/, would you take Green-Flame Blade or Booming Blade as an EK?

Something less interesting than the 4e shaman

I'm talking about this

Yes, Booming Blade if you have the mobile feat, Green-Flame Blade if you plan on being in the front lines. Both are worth it if you want them.

You don't get a fighter archetype because you're not level 3 in fighter. There isn't really any awfully useful archetype, because champion doesn't boost EB's crit range. They do get a fighting style though.
I provided warlock and sorcerer's archetypes though - Sorcerer is draconic bloodline unless UA, Warlock is fiend unless UA.

If you're optimizing about, that is.

I was thinking GFB and Lightning Lure. With the War Caster feat, if I used Lightning Lure on an OA what would the effects be?

Take both, but don't expect to use them often if you're going for greatswords and shit. They'd mostly only be useful for readied actions and such, or if you decide to multiclass, or at specific levels such as 3-4 or 7-10.

If you plan on using BB/GFB a lot, go rapier+shield, and do consider that you could multiclass at level 7 if you wish to into, I don't know, rogue or something. Rogue would give you sneak attack damage while your GFB+BB continues to progress in damage. But do note there are sacrifices, like not getting haste or whatever.

I don't know how I didn't read that the first 2 times.

I have times when I read shit and completely misread it or miss entire sections. I'm bad at reading books, but here I am, arguing about the contents of a book on the internet.

get the grease spell too so you can become greased lightning

What's a good reason a paladin would multiclass into warlock with a refluffed fiend patron as an angelic patron? I'm just dipping for 3 levels.

Prismatic Peak came out yesterday out, has got to look through it?

Any way to uncurse an item?

break it

remove curse and wish

Getting back into D&D after a year long hiatus. Has there been any updates to the classes since then?

Joining a new campaign so would like to know. Thinking about rolling a monk. Are the Ranger updates official? Can I sword mage effectively as an eldritch knight? What do you recommend for him. Monks still okay or any updates?

Thanks guys

remove curse doesn't remove the curse from an item, just the player

I'm running SKT right now. I'm concerned that I've been running it at too slow of a pace.

How do you make overland travel interesting while conveying time passing, without making it "we only get to cities every other session"?

if moon druids get unlimited alter self at 14, why dont normal druids get alter self on their spell list? it seems rather fitting

What if the cursed item is sentient...
If you uncurse an evil sword does it lose it's killing intent and become a good sword?

You fool, it was already cursed to act good.
Now it's even worse.

3PP stuff for 5e is really really slow to show up on the usual troves so it could take some time before it shows up.

/5eg/ tends to be try before you by types

>I'd like to play my Monk, either Half Elf or Human, proceeding for the path of the Long Death. I'd like to style him after the concept of the Plague Doctor, following a more mystical path as the sometimes revered and sometimes feared figure who dared to walk among plague and famine with no fear. Ichabold, namely known as Nevermore, has been left a nameless orphan in front of the monastery that took care of him and taught him the arts of the Long Death. Given the philosophy of the monastic order to which he belongs he has often spent time by the side of the sick and the dying, something that has made him compassionate in his purpose but grim and realistic in front of the world's reality. He wouldn't have abandoned the monastery if it wasn't for the encounter with a Plaguedoctor who had made his way there to spend his final days before that age or disease were to claim him. In the few months that he spent by his side, Ichabold was enlightened by the stories of this common man who dared so many perils if only to help the ones close to death. As the old Doctor passed away he decided to take his place in the world, wearing a garment much similar to that of the deceased and setting out to continue his duty. If a man who had nothing but his will succeed to do so for so long, the someone who has received the teachings of death itself had no right to do any less than him.

What should I say to this guy?

>Nephalos hails from the High Forest. Sometime in his past, he grew tired of the somewhat provincial living of the elves that surrounded him. He took up jobs trading along the waterways of Faerun until he had accumulated enough money to open up a small, but well maintained storefront in a city. He runs a magical laundry service there using the prestidigitation spell to pay the bills, but also enjoys turning the storefront into a bar by night, and dancing with the locals. He’s quite a flirt, enjoying playing up his elvish good looks by wearing subtle (and sometimes, not-so-subtle) makeup and engaging in various scandalous activities with anyone of even trifling fame whom he manages to impress (which is something he thinks he’s good at).

And to this one, for this matter

work it out with the rest of the party
if the character backgrounds are all pretty consistent in tone it should be fine
if not let the halfling gambling addict that's obsessed with maps make his character into a joke

How does this sound for a flamethrower guys?
Also what rarity would this be?

This Hand Mortar has 9 charges while holding it you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the spell Burning Hands (Save DC: 15) from it with a range of 60 ft. cone. For 1 charge, you cast the 1st level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend. The mortar regains 1d8+1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend all charges in the mortar, your misfire value increases by 3.

They're the best picks for an eldritch knight. Other good options are shocking grasp and frostbite. Lightning lure is good if you know for sure you'll be doing a lot of tactical shit in combat.

I've found that booming blade can be hard to set off the way you want it to. Polearms and reach weapons make it much easier to work with, especially if you have a few other frontline people in your party and aren't taking hits so well. Lightning lure could pair well with BB and a polearm, but you wouldnt likely get to use that combo often once enemies wise up to your shit.
On top of that, you may want to check with your dm before you build just to spam reach+gfb/bb - there's some debate over whether the range of the spell is nullified by the reach of the weapon.

Check the mega

Official doesn't matter unless you AL. Revised Ranger is otherwise superior. EK does its best at tanking. Spam SCAG cantrips, especially at level 7. All Monks are fine except Wot4E. Wot4E could benefit from reducing ki costs of everything by 1 and granting Wis mod extra Ki.

Turn it into a text adventure- zoom out the focus and give the party some broad choices every few in-game days, the ability to use skill checks to get good results (possibly even getting a bit of loot or some potions or scrolls or something), or have bad things happen if they choose to do dangerous things and/or roll badly. Can get delayed, or lose an animal or item. Think of The Oregon Trail, or Banner Saga.

Some simple ideas are:
>Encounter a travelling merchant(?) in a caravan who offers to read your fortune, and fortells you finding some treasure near a waterfall. (If you pay him)
A few days later (with a handful of other events in between, to test their memory), mention crossing a bridge with a view of a waterfall. If the PCs go to investigate, you can have them roll some search checks and, if they're succesful, find some treasure. If you're feeling mean, it could have been a trick and there are some bandits camped behind there lying in wait, or who they spot stealing something from their cart/ stealing a horse on the way back from a fruitless search.
If it was a camp, or a trick, you can then reward any character who is smart enough to avoid being caught by the trap with some XP or a bunch of bandit gold/ a silvered sword or something.

>A good survival roll when identifying some strange footprints that cross the path will lead to a monster den (easily cleared out by decently levelled PCs), and you find some kidnapped children or whatever that can be brought to a nearby farm for a reward and a place to stay the night.

With things like these it's not important to go into full detail over the combat. Especially when dealing with low level, low risk threats, you can gloss over the details and have choices like "do we take a risk or play it safe" in different situations. Just narrate the outcomes, don't have too much penalty or reward, but give them chances to be smart!

To be a power gaming faggot, seriously if you can't come up with a decent reason before multiclassing don't do it.

I would argue that removing a curse from an item should be a quest in itself.

But killing inferior beings is good

>It's another 'It's permanent as long as you don't use all charges but one' weapon

I much prefer a system that's more like 'Roll 1d20. You must roll equal to or above the number of charges you are recharging or else [bad thing]'
Because honestly not using that last charge on a wand or that really doesn't feel like much of a penalty for keeping it permanently.
Actually, with a wand, I think the idea is like with nethack where if you keep casting with an already-used wand, it'll eventually cast that one last spell and crumble, but if you keep it uncharged you can just recharge it in the morning.
And anyway it only has a 1d20 chance of crumbling if it's a wand, having an item with a 100% chance of damage each time seems a bit silly, you're never gonna need that extra d6 or whatever at the cost of the item.

But, yeah, it's fine as an item, even if it's just a blatant 'wand of burning hands' with refluff. Nothing crazy interesting mechanically.

You mean Booming Blade, a 10ft reach (in whichever way you want) and Spell Sniper.

RAW Booming Blade has a 5ft range so you need Spell Sniper to double that to 10ft and then a 10ft melee range so you can actually hit people with the melee attack.

You might as well just get mobile, move 5ft towards them, booming blade them, then move 5ft away from them.

My dm doesn't require spell sniper to increase the range, and there's this tweet that seems to imply it isnt necesary.
sageadvice.eu/2016/11/24/polearm-booming-blade/

thus why I said to talk to your dm, since there's controversy over how it works RAW.

Works best as a Fighter archetype that summons ghost pals.

No, but the sentient item's offense at having been decursed and the lingering magic of your hex-breaking spell combine to make the item incredibly, violently racist towards all members of your species.

Thanks for the info

This is how I've done it as well.
You can also be the mystic guy who tells stories around the campfire.

Take druid magic initiate as a feat and you can pick up control flames to aid your story telling around a campfire, plus guidance for consulting the spirits before a roll. Speak with animals is a decent once per day spell to pick up from druid because it requires no roll and fits pretty thematically as well. I also like create or destroy water because you can do a "rain dance."

Hey guys, i tried asking in the sharethread, with no luck, but does anyone have the pdf of TPK's Fifth Edition Options? Would be greatly appreciated

Ok i may be retarded of something but i'm fucking losing my mind. I'm prepping cos and FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CANNOT understand how is K20 connected to any of the rooms on this floor, because other that i don't seem to find a way to have the players arrive in that staircase.

Again i will fully accept roasts for this but whatever you do tell me what the fuck am i not seeing.

Looks like a hallway from k13, hidden behind that flight of stairs. This kind of shit can confuse me a lot too, dont feel bad. Isometric maps are cool looking but they suck for actual navigation purposes when shit can just be in the way of other shit.

The staircase is connected on higher floors and lower floors. It's not accessible from the ground floor because it contains a pretty powerful boon for Strahd.

K13 and also accessed from a staircase at K20a which is presumably a lower floor and possibly a staircase down from K24?

thank you all for the help, i think has the right answer. Thanks again.

Yeah, as says you can't get to it from this floor directly. The fastest ways there are up through the servants' quarters from outside by forcing the door (stairs, secret door), or down through the Chaimerlain's Office (!) if you're feeling tough.

Thanks, i was a bout ot get an aneurysm from this shit, until that point everything made sense.

Mearls' tweets are "this is how I might rule this as a DM" as opposed to Crawford's "this is how the rules are written and/or intended"

You already made yourself one? By refluffing?

Wish with a reasonable DM, some cursed items have other methods built into them such as Banishment with Weapons of Vengeance

So has anybody here actually tried the downtime rules?

Alternately: which UA rules do you all think are going to pop up in a future edition?

Yes. They work really well on their own and I plan on making use of them for future campaigns as a framing device.

Trickery Cleric and ask your DM to let you melee attack through your clone.

Does anyone have hands-on experience playing a mystic?
I can't seem to find coherent feedback on it that is not just theorycrafting.

I have.

care to share?

Dwarf eldrich knight

How do I do it well /5eg/?

I'd like to run a down to earth campaign, and please tell me if 5e works for this idea.

>Group of 5k people get sent into space with an ark ship
>Stocked with replicators that will last for 1000 years
>Early in the trip, a contagion breaks out in the ship
>It seems to be killing people left and right
>Anyone who came into contact with the contagion (around 40% of the ship) get sealed off in one half of the ship
>No one goes in that area for the next 800 years, because of how toxic the contagion was to the people before it
>The players are guards of the areas near the sealed off section, as large bacteria-like things have been popping out of containment
>Eventually they discover the sealed off section isn't rotting over, but populated with survivors of the original contagion, and have been living off of the replicators that were left over
>The survivors and the original group have become two diametrically opposed systems of society (Player side being a caste system, survivor side being a direct democracy)
>Players get to interact and shape this pseudo first contact situation while also finding and stopping the source of the bacteria with help from either one or both societies

Any equipment would be adapted into appropriate things for the setting (crossbows into rubber bullet guns, armor into future armor, swords into batons, ect) and the tech level is near future, aside from replicators.

Would it work?

So which Mystic order is the best? Power and/or flavour aspect.

Yeah I've played one from levels 1-6. What do you want to know?

what order did you take, what disciplines, how did it support your party comp both in combat and out of it?

did you or your party/dm feel it was over/underpowered and if so, was it addressed in any way?

and if you tried to make it 'optimized' what race and scores did you pick?

Halfling Soul Knife. Rerolling 1's gives you a 1/400 chance of missing an attack at high levels.

For the spell Web, how big do the anchors have to be?

For example, if there are two pillars that are 20ft tall and 20ft apart, is that enough to support the 20x20x20 web, or would that only support a 5x20x20 web? (Assuming the pillars take up a 5ft space)

I'm thinking of taking Misty Step and Web as my 3rd level Wizard spells and I'm trying to nail down all the best uses/functions of Web.

>sageadvice.eu/2016/03/12/can-you-combine-spell-sniper-war-caster-and-polearm-master-with-booming-blade/

Better link.

D&D is still just wargames lite. The roleplaying-enabling mechanics and non-combat encounter resolution mechanics are sparse at best. It would by no means be a terrible choice, but you'd probably find it hard to do that scenario justice with what 5e gives you out of the box. That said, if it's what people know, you may want to stick with D&D. If you want to experiment, I'd take a look at PbtA games, Dogs of the Vineyard, or anything that does combat stuff and social stuff equally well. Either way, sounds interesting. Good luck.

Well it's kinda awkward. The "optimized" way to play EK is to go DEX + Mage Armor + Shield. They are mostly played as decent tanks with a bit of utility through cantrips/other spells/broken feats (PAM, Sentinel, etc.)

But... as a Strength, they're meh. You sure you wanna go for that?
What's the character concept ?

Any reason that coating the floor wouldn't work? Flying enemies, sure, but until later levels you probably won't encounter many ranged-attack flying enemies.