Naval Wargames General - Hood was a BB Edition

A thread dedicated to botes, and games about botes, filled with autistic bote lovers skreeing about their favourite botes.

Botes!

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

naval-war.com/
3d-models-games.com/models.html
store.steampowered.com/app/563210/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hipper was Heavy Cruiser.

Hipper was ugly.

Just realised that my 1899 ACs in RTW are very near to a fast 10" main armament Majestic class

Super CAs are a good, if expensive alternative to Bs for RtW starting fleets.

I've moved back to having some Bs recently, they age like milk but having all super CAs is too good, gets boring.

Yeah, I like to have 1-3 Bs to start with at least, if only as platforms to cart around 11 or 12 inchers.

Good choice.
Also: if you build our B's cheap, you can have 32 Blockade Points for the price of 15.

t. a B/BB fan.

What do you lads do for destroyers? I like to have a squadron on all occupied stations but I'm not convinced that, while helpful, it isn't woefully inefficient.

I have at least a Squadron of them anywhere I have a Fleet, as Britain that's generally the Med, Northern Europe, Indian Ocean and Southeast Asia. Otherwise I leave the other stations to Colonial Cruisers and Gunboats.

What do your early colonial cruisers & gunboats look like?

Gunboats are inefficient as fuck. You're better off with a Cruiser there: much better bang for your buck.

Gunboats are generally for making up odd tonnages in stations too small to bother with a cruiser or with cruisers that just don't quite cover the required tonnage.

Pic related is my legacy fleet colonial CL from my latest RN playthrough, ignore the excess tonnage, it's just because I'm looking at the design from the end of the game in 1928. Sometimes I'll make them faster (23-24 knots) or longer ranged, or fiddle with the armour scheme, but most tend to end up something like that one.

Looks similar to mine, but I bump up the tonnage.
I often have a double fore turret because you can in legacy LCs, but I'm not sure it's worth the jamming.

I generally don't bother with double turrets on my Colonial CLs, though I often put them on my starting Fleet CLs.

My computer is cooked. I was going to scrimp and save for a few months and buy a flash gaymen laptop and use the time out to do some other things, but I'm missing RTW terribly

What livery should the legacy ships be for the RN?

Tried building Magnificent as a starting B in RtW, it's 400 overweight

Yeah, trying to do exactly historical builds rarely works out perfectly, for a variety of reasons.

RTW and springsharp are conservative in their math.

BIG
FAT
AMERICAN
AFT

Why are the Standards best BBs?

Eh. The best thing that can really be said for them is that they were consistent.

So me and a friend wanna get into the whole naval wargame thing but we don't have a clue about rulebooks nor where to get miniatures. Could any of you fine gentlemen in this thread help perhaps?

Personally, I'd recommend Naval War as a solid and not-too-complex WW2 ruleset.

As for minis, it depends on where you live and what scale you want.

Miniatures wise its anything that wont be too insanely expensive and ships inside or ships TO europe. Baltics specific.

Not too knowledgable about that area, desu.

My naval wargaming focuses on the Pacific plus a bit of Atlantic.

Are there any that focus on more than just the pacific though? Even if it goes a bit Alt history it would be fine. And miniatures wise it does need to be a baltic specific shop. Anything that just ships to Europe would be fine.

Well, Naval War does cover the Norwegian campaign, as well as the French and Italian orders of battle at the start of the war.

The Davco range of warship minis in 1/3000 scale are a cheap and decent but not amazing option for ships.
Those can be found at navymodelsandbooks.co.uk

If you want somewhat bigger minis, I like the various 1/1800 scale minis you can get through Shapeways.
Kinda pricy, tho.

I see. And as one last question could you perhaps link a site for Naval war as i cannot find anything on google.

naval-war.com/
Everything is available, only thing you need to do is make a login.

>naval-war.com/
Neat thanks. Though if said game grows a bit too dull/easy in the future. What are the more indepth rulesets.

GQ3. Go over to /hwg/ and look in the Naval subfolder in the OP mediafire. It's more Battletech level of complexity.

>all-or nothing
>solid armament and armor
>intended to stick together, didn't waste tonnage for going faster than the battleline

If your looking for affordable 3D prints there is a guy in Italy who has started his own webshop. Reviews say it is comparable in quality to the higher lvl materials at shapeways, but at a way more economic price. I've put in an order myself this week to check out the quality.

Site at: 3d-models-games.com/models.html

>something other navies adopted
>something all other super-dreadnoughts had
>one speed: slow
The Standards, during any given iteration, were only truly exceptional in the fact that coherence with the existing battle line was a stated design goal. And it was a design goal that by entry into the war had become obsolete.

Nobody had AoN when the Standards appeared.

>any given iteration
>other navies adopted it
I'll say it again, the only thing setting the standards apart in ANY GIVEN ITERATION was coherence. By the end of WWI other navies were eliminating intermediate armor schemes, their weapons were always on par with other super-dreadnoughts in competing navies, and by the final iteration they were pathetically slow.

And no navy used "true" AoN protection anyway, not even the US navy. The brits and french probably came closest, to the point where blast damage became an ongoing nuisance, while the Americans probably struck the best balance. The Japanese were all over the damn place because fuck consistency.

Why don't we have a standardised OP yet like foreverOP's from /hwg/? Obviously his storytime would be hard work but it couldn't hurt to have some resources.

We mostly just haven't gotten around to making one, probably should, and standardise on a name for the threads too, if we continue this to another thread.

Yeah, makeshiftiness has its own charm but if these threads are going to be a regular thing we probably should at least have link to /hwg/'s naval wargames mediafire or something.

>rtw2.jpg

>tfw starting to feel like having another battlecruisers only run in rtw

I've found battlecruisers with protected cruiser armor configuration and cross deck fire can be a somewhat effective design if you don't have superfiring or AON armor.

Shells will regularly overpenitrate the unarmored sections above the waterline because the enemy will use AP against you instead of HE. Just make sure the turrets and belt are properly armored, and they turn out to be surprisingly resilient.

>tfw right in the middle of another battleship only run & just had 3 battlecruisers for breakfast

Sure man, go right ahead ...

>the follow up class laid down a year and half later in 1907

>buy 0 quality 14 inchers from france
>the very next month my own eggheads figure out how to make usable 15 inch guns

Just found out the french were building predreads until the teens
What the fuck were they thinking?

Something like "Honhonhon, what would zose filthy rosbiffs know about ships!"

>What the fuck were they thinking?

"This Dreadnought thing, it is just another crazy vogue, no? Surely those tea drinkers will be wrong again... surely..."

Can I get some RtW early game ship designs? I feel I get overindulgent in terms of tonnage.

> tfw almost all your RtW playthroughs end up being essentially BC only by dint of hating slow ships.

>tfw your BB's all have 29-30kt speed

BC's on suicide watch, tbqh fyi senpai

You can only do that late game, most of my BCs are just fast battleships in armour and armament, it's just that because they're pre-1910 anything over 21kn with big guns is autoclassed as a BC.

That's often a boon though with how often they show up in cruiser clashes. It annoys me when I build new BCs too late and they get classed as BBs instead.

BB's can go up to 30kts starting in 1916 - and I usually build them as fast as I can.

Is there a CA in RtW or does one just make a relatively low tonnage AC?

I think you got your classifications the wrong way round.

I thought CAs were heavy cruisers and ACs were armoured? I read ACs were relatively heavy for the time and could be thought of as proto BCs. Minotaur was around 14,000 tons which is comparable to the later predreads, while heavy cruisers under the treaties were limited to 10,000 tons and I thought even before then sat around that mark.

The only thing that really makes a CA a CA is that they're modern cruisers (so predominantly centreline, usually superfiring turrets) with 8" guns. Consequently they happen naturally in just about every RtW playthrough, to the point that ACs and CAs share the same designation in-game of CA because after the first few years of the game, your ACs will generally morph into CAs. As for tonnage, that's really just a result of treaties, and if you get a naval disarmament treaty that locks you to 10'000ish tons you'll get very historically weighted CAs, but otherwise a few thousand here or there doesn't make them not Heavy Cruisers.

Lotta work for a ship that will be scrapped in a handful of years.

Noticed after I finalised a couple of accessories mysteriously disappeared as they are want to do. I think the editor needs some work in RtW2

>What the fuck were they thinking?

It was complicated. 1st, the army got priority in defense spending and correctly so. Germany had trouble funding its naval buildup and keeping up with army spending despite having a larger economy and population. For France the problem was even worse.

2nd, France had a handshake agreement with the UK dividing naval responsibilities in case of war with Germany with the UK handling the North Sea/Channel and France concentrated in the Med. This wasn't an actual treaty mind you, but a private "understanding" which only certain UK cabinet members knew about and which Parliament knew nothing about. In fact, Grey's "war speech" to the House in early August '14 was the first time the agreement was acknowledged.

3rd, concentrating on the Med meant France's potential opponents didn't have dreads of their own. The AH didn't start building theirs until the teens and Italy's first wasn't commissioned until '13.

Predreads got the job done while saving money for the army.

>tfw had a comfy 28-29 knot design for heavily armored battlecruiser
>had to cut couple inches of belt armor to get it make 31 knots so that it won't be classified as a battleship

RIP 14 inch belt, it was nice to know you.

3 inches of deck? thats way overkill for the time period imo. i usually do 1 inch untill 13s show up, and even then its only to 1.5 or 2in

Could be worse.

I generally take 2" D and 1.5" DE for my pre-dreads, mostly because I've got some bad experiences with splinter damage to machinery.

i used to do 2in minimum. but i started experimenting with minimal armour designs, like 8in belt and 1in deck/de for a lot less tonnage. i quite like the savings

It started out as a knock off of Majestic, forgot to lower deck to compensate for the extra 2 kts I wanted

SS Uncontrollable

One of the uglier ships of interwar era desu.

store.steampowered.com/app/563210/

Why aren't you playing this game RIGHT NOW

>mfw it's Panzer Corps at Sea.

Why don't you give me one (1) good reason why I should play it over the (obviously) superior (and actually original) product that is (our god and savior) 'Rule the Waves'?

Try again when it doesn't look like a shitty Civ mod. I've seen hex and chit games that looked better.

Not a fan of Kriegsmeme + OoB is pretty meh as a game desu senpai.

>order a class of destroyers
>get better 3 inch guns just a month after that
>design a successor class using those guns (or in other words just change guns with no other changes)
>they have problems reaching their design speed
>time to redesign them
>still problems reaching their design speed
>fuck it, time for a completely new destroyer design
>they're overweight

Fucking destroyers.

>surprise attack against germans
>have 4 battlecruisers (+fifth finishing her working up) operating on the area
>choose to mobilize all forces for the attack
>not even single one of them show up for the surprise attack

Fucking lazy cunts.