Player owned businesses

Is it a good idea or a terrible idea to let the party run their own business in a game?

How much is the business going to play into the game itself? It could serve as a way for them to do various things or be a game in and of itself.

Yes, land, area, something to let them flesh out and debate on during the time in between games.

>kotick
triggered

>or be a game in and of itself.
This, though don't turn it into EVE Online tier stuff unless they really enjoy that shit

I mentioned future business partially as a joke/random speculation on things that wouldn't happen within the game's time frame.

Now my GM wants me to come up with a name. Still not sure on what to call it. Or how much it'll even play into the game. (I'm assuming entirely background detail stated out as a headquarters.)

tfw no Spice and Wolf rpg

What kinda business?

Probably making airplanes and other future-tech goodies. Future tech from the PoV of the 90s anyway, so there's plenty of decades for ideas there.

[spoilers]At this point I've probably outed myself to my GM. Hi, GM![spoilers]

Unless my GM made this thread....

>Social interactions with guild/bureaucrats to ensure you have the proper permits, and they tax a percentage.
>Having to pay taxes to the Lord/Goverment/Megacorp because you have a permanent establishment
>Other adventurers always trying to offload their "Rusty Iron Codpiece +1"s/"Bent Laser Sword +1"s
>Haggling encounters
>Dealing with thieves

Solar Advant

Developers and producers of high tech military and civilian air-craft looking to revolutionize the aero-space industry with ambitions for space travel and advanced flight systems using advanced man machine interface.

I like it, personally. Gives me a chance to rule a nation without all the trouble of wearing a crown. Give a man a gun and he will rob a bank; give a man a bank and he will rob the whole world.

Ok, players are potential murder hobos.
They could run a shop.
Sweet, I get a reason to post this finally.

In fact I want to run this. Part time murderhobos, part time shop owners.

>party in ravenloft
>we need money bad
>abandoned church of Lathander
>my character worships another good diety but not him
>want to take over church and turn it into a business
>we inspect the building
>vampire inside
>kill the fucker
>we are given the church for killing the vampire
>neat
>priest of Lathander move in, take over and start cleaning up and giving sermons
>god damnit
>no money but free housing and healing
>whenever they get too preachy i remind them who owns their church

When done properly running a business can actual help reel in some murder hobo behaviour.

It gives them something that's theirs to own and control and get invested in besides their character.
They start to care about what affects their business and profit, from local society and law/economy to whatever plot-hooks are affecting the area like bandits and such.
Running a business and dealing with problems isn't as easy as "kill it and take its treasure" either so it can lead to more complex and engaged roleplaying and plans.

I want to buy myself a brothel, in character. A brothel can be considered a business right?

I would say it can be a good idea but it depends on how you run your setting and if there is room for it.

My Shadowrun group started up as a smallish store used as a front for their let's say "extra legal" dealings. It then grew on itself and I gave them some incentive to expand upon it further and now they're trying to basically run the entire crime scene of Amsterdam.

They're having fun, I'm having fun so yeah, definitely doable.

do they want to run a business? then let them run a fucking business. what the fuck kind of question is this? if that's the kind of story they want to tell, tell the fucking story. what is this crap.

Yes

A business is useful for keeping a party prone to wandering anchored to one location, a business can let the GM have greater control over the party's income, threatening the players business can be a great way to get even the most mercenary of players to take an adventure hook.