Casual MTG General

Welcome to the Casual General! This is the thread for all things magic related that may not be top tier. Whether it's kitchen table, a $25 jank homebrew, or some low tier standard deck, feel free to bring it in.

Thread Question: What's your favorite budget combo/synergy to use?

Other urls found in this thread:

edhrec.com/commanders/anafenza-the-foremost
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If Paper Pauper was officially supported by Wizards and became popular, would it stay super diverse? Seems like all Pauper is is homebrews, but EDH started the same way, and has now become a more competitive format.

Your pic related with mine

I remember when EDH was casual jank. And then spikes invaded from the other formats when the casual minded people left so now it is infested with combo and stax.

What other format is there that is casual minded but with less spikes? I like being able to play cards that cost over 3 mana.

I just play among my group and we either set a money limit on our decks or make penny box decks and have our own little tournament among ourselves

as far as budget deck archetypes go, goblins will always have a special place in my heart

>Not using Worldslayer

>tfw you still have Rabblemasters from M15 Standard season.

I don't care what anyone says, this Rabblemaster takes over the game. Also, can't wait for Enigma Sphinx. I'm thinking something like

>4 Spellheart Chimera
>4 Enigma Sphinx
>Burn
> cantrips
>counterspells
>18 lands

It's gonna be baller.

Recently aquired an "Anafenza, the Foremost." Want to make an EDH deck with her but I only have standard legal stuff. Anything cheep I could get for the deck?

First, look through your collection. What cards jump out at you for Abzan? What interacts well with Anafenza? Is there something particularly interesting or synergistic you can accomplish?

edhrec.com/commanders/anafenza-the-foremost
Second, peruse this site and consider some of the cheaper cards listed. What you're looking at is an aggregate of Tappedout decklists for Anafenza and averages of what cards appear in them. When you're perusing, consider:
1. What cards give you the most "bang" for your buck? There are often extremely cheap cards that work well with a commander, simply because they don't have a place anywhere else. "Signature cards" section is basically this.
2. What cards are shown that go well with the cards you already picked out of your collection? The cards you have on hand can inform the cards you buy into. The majority of suggested cards are for +1/+1 theme, but let's just say you wanted to do, I don't know, "Delirium, because I get a graveyard and no one else does too". Try out the site's filters and look for Anafenza lists that use your cards and ideas, if possible.

3. Don't be afraid to experiment. Just because the card doesn't seem "popular" doesn't mean it can't be good. There WILL be a lot of cards that are garbage fire in EDH, probably even cards you liked in Standard- but you'd be surprised just how many cards have a home.

4. Also, seriously consider a theme. Think outside the box. Maybe you can build Anafenza Soldier Tribal, or Delirium, or something. You don't have to do what the people before you have done, and generally, you can make the most out of a small budget and card pool by doing stuff like this. You'll probably want to evolve towards the consensus over time, but it can be a fun experience nonetheless.

What's wrong with having a 5/5 zombie that will not get rekt no matter how hard the opponent tries?

When your playgroup uses pic related and swords to plowshares as removal, indestructible is less of a 'none of your removal works' and more of a 'some of your removal works'

i am not the only one who hasn't touched a mtg card in 10 years, but does play alone draft/sealed on cockatrice, right?

not him but

>bounce/exile your relic
>done

if anything you should use darksteel citadel. thats even harder to remove

Never played MTG, only CCG experience I have is Pokemon almost 20 years ago. Is it a good time to get into the game? Any tips on starting out, like preferred starter decks and finding players? Are there better CCGs for complete newbies like me?

There is no better feel than having OP's pic on the board next to a stuffy doll with a phylactery counter on it. With a blasphemous act in hand. Against white weenies.

I have a collection of tribal decks. They're super comfy.

Some of their kitchen table combos...
Hornet nest/saber ants/broodhatch nantuko + swarmyard.

Incandescent soulstoke + undying/persist/evoke elementals.

There are others but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

I had to get rid of my cards for money to help me and family move, but I had a wonderfully disgusting mono-black lifegain/graveyard shenanigan deck. Had a little fucker that sacked the black creatures for black mana, Phyrexian reclamation to bring back sacked critters, Yawgmoth's bargain for drawing, exsanguinate with grey merchant for parasitic lifegain, hissing miasma to ward off attackers, and some old Eldrazi for beaters (Ulamog crusher, artisan of Kolzeik for more shenanigans, and It the betrays for even more shenanigans). I'm finally starting to rebuild, but it's a bit sad that I lost it. It wasn't the best against a single opponent, but in a free for all with two or more opponents it shined. The more opponents, the merrier with that deck.

Better having a treat that can actually win the game in one swing than a normal 5/5 immortal zombie.

Magic has different levels and there are sets designed for new players, like the core sets.

Also you can try to play online using cockatrice with a friend, so you can try the game without having to buy anything, but in case a start deck costs like 10$/€.

In case you wants to follow formats, there formats that are cheaper than others, like pauper (only common cards allowed) or EDH/Commander (There is more variety in a sense, so you can just have more choice without having to spend a lot) But I wouldn't suggest you to follow them at first, just enjoy casual play if you have friend that want to play the game, just buy a basic deck and buy packs to make it stronger sometimes.

I made a doublestrike tribal deck. 1 and 2-drops with doublestrike, a bunch of 0 or 1-drop equips, and metalcraft spells. GW boarderpost for metalcraft and budget, Gavony Township on the off chance someone survives or stalls me out. Attacking with a man holding two saws, three axes, some machetes, and wearing two helmets (for trample) is super fun.

Made a merfolk deck that focuses on Drowner of Secrets. It either wins super hard, or flops even harder. Super fun to use, as are most my hanky tribal decks. Deathtouch "tribal" is my most recent toy.

If recommend a few things depending on how you wanted to play. Playing casually I think is actually harder than playing in a normal format, since you need friends to play with. Starting out, get a few friends to buy decks with you and play around, or just walk into a store and see if someone is willing to teach you. After a while you'll figure out whether you want to dig deeper or even keep playing.
Main advice: don't let the douchtools who play Magic discourage you.

my recommendation is to download magic duels so you can learn how to play the game first.

if you want to start a collection then Id recommend getting a deckbuilder's toolkit. or even better, attend this weekend's Amonkhet prerelease event. you get 6 boosters and you get to build a deck out of the cards you get to play some games. I highly recommend this because these are the most casual mtg events.

if you are ready to go to fnm and play something more competitive then watch gameplay videos of formats like standard, modern, or edh so you can get acquainted with the cards and so that you can decide which one you want to invest in. always buy singles for getting cards for constructed decks, never boosters, unless you want to play lottery.

Why not both? I run Relic, Darksteel Axe, Darksteel citadel, and worldslayer in my lich deck

probably wouldn't be the same, netdecking is an arms race, with tournaments come "officially bettter" decks and some people copy them, from then on it's a short road to any other format.

even without tournaments, decks will become refined and improved as time goes on.

What're the best sets to play sealed in, and what's the best booster count?

I like this deck. Have you tried it in a serious/competitive context? Does it work?

why not just combo and win the game at that point if we're using two cards
>because litch is fun