Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

8ed will be a copy paste with bare minimum changes edition

>Actual Duncan
youtube.com/watch?v=Y0PK8NOlvPg

>Shadow War: Armageddon rules:
games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf
docs.google.com/document/d/1xvgryrNiMFoLYiaX8o6Y-Q0q1GLRvwWnvbrSL7omZXo/edit?usp=sharing

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android.
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!z4wmmJyR!jTfwLczhdFjV0q6nowtGag!qgZhmAhK

>40k rules reference in wiki format.
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs.
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>List organizer picture book
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Offline list builder
battlescribe.net/

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

That's what 7th was.

I can't decide what DA chapter to do

It won't be different, it'll be mostly the same, wait and see

Asking my rules question since no one answered.

My fucking ass it will, GW has made it plain this is the time for a big move

wait and see :^)

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

>it'll be mostly the same

But GW has already said they are looking at replacing a bunch of shit, even if half of those things come to be it'll still be much closer to 2nd ed than the current rules or are you just pretending to be retarded or some weak b8 shit?.

>when you skip out on painting your night lords to play eternal crusade and your life choices just keep compounding

Refer to the FAQ, it's addressed there.

>eternal crusade
Scream eternally in the warp for your transgressions.

Does anyone have thoughts on using Vaylund Cal? He's the only Iron Hands character and looks real hard to kill but also real expensive.

Worse still, it will be 40k: Age of the Emperor.

Posting my gay list for criticism

>get early free key
>play night lords for inspiration
>the players are pretty competent
>skip to everyone free
>cant even play CSM because they're all morons
>switch to my ork
>they're somewhat competent but mostly morons
>refuse to play LSM
>try out eldar
>hate it at first but slowly grow to like them
>incompetence comes in surges because low HP weeds out baddies
>mfw I main eldar as a dark reaper now

Alright, boyos how much money have you guys dropped on this hobby since you first started? Include chinaforges and secondhand spending.

I started in December and I have spent about $500 so far.

I've been challenged to play my noob imperial fists against tempestus tomorrow.

What should I expect and how should I counter play?

It's a low point game, less than 1000. I'll have a heavy bolter scout squad, a tactical squad probably with a grav cannon, Pedro Kantor as warlord, then as many vets as I can fit in a pod points permitting

Yeah, about that much for me as well.

Oh god i dont even know like a couple k?

Maybe about 100 dollars per month since I started last april. So probably around 1200 USD. That's not so bad.

Here's the breakdown

Loyalist Marines
>Huge player base
>Biggest retard magnet
>Lots of toys
>Mediocre overall

Chaos Marines
>Sizable playerbase
>Decent players
>Shitty mark buffs/penalties
>Jack shit for variety of toys
>Lmao Abaddon's Grace

Eldar
>Dev favorite
>Best melee weapons
>Ridiculously quick
>What is hit registry?
>100% headshots
>Fags in grav tanks will use them to roadkill more than actually shoot the fucking guns

Orks
>Clunky unfinished shit
>Dakka is good
>Too good
>Why is Ork Dakka so good
>50% DR against headshots
>Literally half the model is a fucking head
>Awkward charge hitbox that can stun at any point with shitty collision detection

Other issues:
>Tanks are shit against tanks
>AT weapons are shit against tanks
>Melta weapons are too good against tanks from behind
>All shots against vehicles are useless, except from behind
>There is no good analog for basing balance
>Devs are dropping from the project every few months
>Devs suck Eldar dick like nobody's business
>Mods on forum main Eldar and close threads calling for nerfs to Eldar

It's a shitshow.

>started playing Sisters 10 years ago
>have 2000pts
>also have 2000pts of daemons
>also many unopened boxes of Deldar
>also 3 HH boxes with chinacast gubbins
>also 2 unopened knights

I ain't counting that shit, nigga.

How do I play orkz
I'm actually asking, because I haven't the foggiest how it works in practise. Mind you I'm not going to play anywhere near waac or tournament levels. I just want an excuse to loot vehicles and have a stompa.

Tempestus is a page of shit that's already in the IG army. Basically it's a bunch of elites with s3 ap3 guns in a pretty nice dedicated transport. Expect IG with lower numbers but better gear by far, all infantry and transport. Tempestus literally has two units.

Tempestus Scions?

You're in pretty good shape if you just bring heavy bolters. Grav is useless against 4+ when you wound on 3s. Just drown them in shots.

You can expect getting plasma deep strikes or maybe some meltaguns.

I forget how many points it is to take Sternhammer Strike Force but take one of those practically barebones and you should be fine. Twin-linked Boltguns absolutely shit on light-medium infantry armies. Especially 'elite' armies like T3 4+ saves on MT Scions.

Should I always give my Scions melta guns? I'd rather take grenade launchers for reasons but it seems silly to give them no defense against armor without support that's probably tied up with something already

I'd drop grav if you're fighting scions and just add a heavy bolter. Much cheaper and does the job just as well. Plus, it's more Fisty

Sounds about right, though in don't get the eldar hate. They die to a stiff breeze. I hate fighting Orks more than I hate fighting eldar.

So as in previous thread: Null Rod

"Unit cannot be targeted by psychic powers"

How does this work with any Witchfire powers that use Beam or Nova? Does this target and/or does it nullify those powers? Where is there FAQ rules for it?

Easy, skip the unit that has the rod and resolve the power as normal.

Wait for 8th orkbro

You can't be affected by the effects of psychic powers. The end.

As a loyal Space marine, eldars are cancer. You may fire 1000 shots into them, but only 1-3 register

these two lists compared is comically sad

Anyone able to help me figure out what to put in a Fluffy Dark Angels army?

Thinking an attack bikes squadron, a group of Darkwing terms and a bunch of plasma tacts

New to this so HQs are a complete mystery to me

That's funny, I get 2 shot by stalker bolters, instagibbed by heavy bolters, and out gunned by normal bolters all the fucking time.

That's just it though. I was trying to get it through 3 people's heads saying "You cannot hit the unit at all, and if you have to pass the beam through them at all, you can't do it because that's affecting the unit."

Even if we just ignored the unit he could have still done things but he was pissing and moaning cause his shitloads of D Beams weren't enough to table me quickly or something. 26 warp dice and he said I should have tried my original list cause tailoring was what I was worried about, yet I did it. But I didn't ask his list beyond 'What army?" and he said "1k sons"

Magnus is not fucking 1k sons, its fucking Tzeentch Daemons. He didn't have a single fucking marine on the table besides Ahriman.

so far? it's hard to say, maybe a good grand or 2 over 12 years

so what? it's a special character so you're expected to splurge a little on characters.

I can promise that's it not a thing of me being bad, as the lowest rank I've gotten is rank 3. But eldars are almost impossible to hit unless they stand still. I usually have to engage in melee with banshees due to not being able to hit them with the gun.

>and if you have to pass the beam through them at all, you can't do it because that's affecting the unit.

I would argue that this isnt the case because the rod doesnt nullify powers, it makes the unit unaffected by them so in this case the beam would simply start at the unit behind the one with the Null Rod and you just ignore the unit with the Rod for the purpose of resolving powers.

Eldar would not be as big a problem if they didn't literally one-shot people with backstabs and have the best support class in the game.

They sincerely think that having buffed to fuck dps is fair even when they're the fastest faction. The argument is that they should have the better TTK to compensate for the low EHP but the whole faction is the most difficult to land damage on because of how shit the servers register detection.

I've been behind walls in full cover and got shot through it before.

Facing a Warconvo lead by Cawl soon with my Tau. My friends and I only really play within our own group and it's a casual-competitive environment where there is some cheese, but not 36 scatbikes/riptide wing/Gravspam cheese. We like to run strong lists against each other but won't cry if I bust out the Stormsurge, or if the Eldar guy(who also owns the AdMech) whips out the Wraithknight and an Dire Avenger Shrine(that 30 shots per 10 dudes is nuts.)

I've got 2 lists prepared, one with Stormsurge because he said he didn't mind it, and one without the Stormsurge. I'm thinking the highest priority target will be Cawl.

Here's the first.

Repost from last thread:

Was thinking about pitching this for a narrative campaign. How many points should he cost? I was thinking 200-220.

Venerable Dreadnought Vetus
HQ Vehicle (walker, Character)

Stats: 12 12 10 S7 I5 A4 HP4

Wargear:
Assault Cannon
Dreadnought CCW w/ Heavy Flamer
Searchlight
Smoke Launchers
Extra Armor

Relic: Name TBD (Recieves a 5++, and IWND)

Warlord Trait: Name TBD (Upon killing an enemy model in the Assault Phase with his CCW, enemy unit suffers d3 Heavy Flamer hits)

And here's the Stormsurge edition.

I make zero claims to be good, but I gun down eldar as csm/orks without much issue. It sounds like lag, which is a feature at this point.

>kill 4 models
>get 4-12 S5AP4 hits

that's broken af senpai. You're wounding on 3s or 2s against most units and killing anything that isn't a marine for free.

Why not copy over the stats from that Chaplain Dread? Give him his 4+ Rosarius and call it a day.

Me too, even as Eldar.

Also, don't only scorpions one hit with back stab?

No, all of their melee weapons barring the knife will OHKO on a strong-attack backstab.

EVERY SINGLE WEAPON has the damage of a Power Axe. The only difference is 4.5-9% damage between power/non-power variant. Meaning Scorps will lose 9% damage if the enemy has 120+ toughness, but lmao poison, get fucked nigger, you're dead anyway.

Poison in that game is retarded.

I got the bit about Novas wrong, I hadn't read the wording of it in a long time and only remembered the bit about how it hits all units within range, but it does also targets those units as well. So the units are targeted, and therefore a unit with a null rod is unaffected by a Nova ability.

Beams do not target and select a point instead. Anything that is under that line is hit and ignores the Null Rod entirely.

While I sympathize with your gripes against a waac player, I think his interpretation of beams is correct. No where in the Null Rod does it state that the unit cannot be affected by psychic powers, just that they cannot be targeted. It's like a blast template that scatters and lands on an Invisible unit, they were not targeted, the blast just happened to scatter.

Everything I hear of this game just makes it sound remarkable of how hard of a time they're having balancing.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that Eldar should be fast, but aside from that they need to be a faction of flankers, snipers, and other tricky things that wither under any sort of direct firepower.

Giving them such high damage makes no sense when they're exclusively fighting Marines and Orks, who are both quite durable against basic shuriken guns.

If they had better servers, they could totally make Eldar the precision based class that needs to run in and unload a bunch of headshots with shuriken pistols to take out a marine, or carefully land direct rockets as a Dark Reaper for their only class that can remotely engage in an outright fight.

Here's my argument though.

You are attacking a unit that by definition of the item it carries, absorbs and nullifies psychic attacks/energy. It's clearly stated it cannot be targeted by any kind of psychic power.

Why do templates or beams ignore that? The beam, while it does target a point, has to be directed against a unit between point A and B. You resolve hits and wounds against the models under the beam. They should not be able to be targeted or affected.

In the case of invisibility, that's a different can of worms. Getting a really (un)lucky scatter gets around it.

I went into a hilarious tirade on the forums on why plasmaguns are whimpy as fuck and people bitched that everyone would use nothing but plasma if it could do heavy, reliable damage with no drawback.

Just as a comparison for raw numbers? DPS on a Bolter is better than a plasmagun. Full stop. Fucking. Stupid.

Hmmm

Don't take 100% plasma. Grab lascannons, missile launchers, or melta for AT. Missile launchers aren't super good at it, but if your opponent doesn't bring vehicles or goes for hordes or spams fliers, then they're worth it. Lascannons will rek big things. Melta will ruin the day of any vehicle.

For your HQ, you want a chaplain of any flavor, a Company Master, or Librarian, with them hanging out with their own command squad in order to maximize their specialness and go for the most killy option.

Very fluffy to take Ravenwing alongside Deathwing in any DA army.

How would you suggest adding haywire in instead of the flamer hits? That was my original idea but couldnt think of how to do it.

That's retarded. Not only the fact that it does less damage than a bolter, but that people weren't suggesting self-damage as a drawback to balance it. Not that it'd be good balance, but the fact that the idea didn't even occur to them is dumb.

Seriously, there have been how many shooters of this type over the years, and especially recently? It should not be hard to copy from those to get at least the basics.

Dude's 225 points though. That's not really splurging, for 190 you get dudes like He'stan who come with army-wide bonuses or Pedro Kantor with buffs to models near him. Vaylund is just a hard to kill pseudo-terminator.

>hey did my dread not one-shot your tank somehow
>k now it did
still bad.

just copy the chap dread and call it a day, don't forget to add the 2A it got when the game updated. Play it like 5E rules. "It's my special dude but he uses X character rules/profile."

Fucking hell I miss 5E over this shitstorm.

GRavenwing Bikes.

Just fucking do it and go lose all your friends.

List looks legal to me. As for feedback,
>Raptor Detachment
Looks fine to me. Might want to drop some points somewhere for Sniper Rifles on the one squad that doesn't have 'em, but I don't know your game plan here.
>Skitarii Maniple
Rangers are kinda shit compared to Vanguard, ESPECIALLY if you already have snipers in your list. Transuranic Arquebus is also pretty meh at 25 points a pop for how much of a coinflip it is. Also, you're better off running Skitarii troops in larger units since the Sergeants are more expensive than the base mooks.
Swap the Powerswords and Stubcarbines for the Tesla Bats and Ghetto Blasters on the Infiltrators. They CRUSH units through sheer number of high strength hits in melee and tickle enemies to death with swarms of angry hornets outside of it. Much more useful than AP3 melee and S4 shooting.
Dunecrawler and Dragoon look fine. Phosphor Serpenta on Dragoon is a decent buy. Gives them a shooting attack, allows them to reroll charge, allows them to act as a Markerlight for the rest of your army, and protects against Weapon Destroyed results.
>Cult Mech Allied Detachment
Kinda meh.
The Dominus is pretty nice, but he's a force multiplier at his core. Might not jive TOO well with your army. Can't say. I usually run him in the Dominus Maniple formation instead of anything else.
Kataphrons look fine. Plasma is kinda meh compared to the Grav, but it's still good.
Fulgerites are complete shit, drop 'em like hot trash.
Kastellens look fine. Are you planning on Outflanking them? You bought the Infoslave Skull on the Datasmith and the entire unit is Fearless due to having MCs in it.
Look into the Dominus Maniple and the Elimination Maniple. They might be up your alley.
>Callidus
breddy good
very fun unit

You can actually charge up and use the Plasmagun to fire little blasts and stun people.

Headshotting with a charged plasma blast that causes 40/100 overheat buildup and 5 or 10 ammo will still NOT kill anyone in one shot.

Do these people just not know what a plasmagun is? I mean, granted it would be annoying if it was just some charge mechanic that you could hold and ambush people with, but if it already has an overheat mechanic along with having ammo then there is a downside compared to a bolter already, except with no benefit.

it's cheap compared to what i use but i get your point. why not give it a chance and change up your list?

I get your point about an item that is suppose to be the bane of psykers, but as far as I can tell the beams will still hit them.

The 7thEd FAQ has this one section about beams and if a unit that can jink, is hit by a beam attack, can they jink. The answer is No, the models under the beam cannot jink because they were not targeted.

Assuming i'm not missing something about the Null Rod, sorry that you had to face a dick of an opponent who was cheesing you.

He was arguing that "his list wasn't optimized" and I tailored.

I was more thinking he was actually running 1k sons and I didn't run a cheese list to counter that, I remembered someone in the group chat (him) offering the DE player he was against a free extra 250 points cause he had Magnus.

Like, you say that, then talk that "oh its not optimized so bleh"? Get the fuck out of here.

And I would have killed Magnus if not for my Vindicare rolling 1/3/3 to wound in the 3 turns he got to shoot Magnus.

Are custodes good? What are they useful for?

Somewhere in the 8,000 dollar range

Most of it went to Ebay though, fuck you GW for ruining muh orkz

One of those is probably the easiest list in the world to play and the other was built by a guy who doesn't know the first thing about playing competitively.

Eldar literally have zero sniping outside of a 4s charged shot that leaves you vulnerable because it is guided, but is also slow as balls.

The idea is to saturate the enemy with different units that have more or less the same threat level, with the main damage dealers (Lord and Prince) being too fast to effectively intercept.

Thoughts?

That's actively stupid. If the Eldar should have anything, it's Rangers as the fragile sniper, Banshees as the fragile skirmisher, Scoprions as the stealthy melee/backstabber, Dark Reapers as the semi-durable firepower, and a Warlock/Farseer as a slower support unit that can give more damage/durability, but ties them up in protecting that one person with their fragile selves.

If you get caught in the open as an Eldar and aren't already landing headshots on the guy shooting you, you should be dead in short order.

So what army builder is this that people use

Looks like it would be painful to play against desu

Honestly, that's looks like the intention of the game, but everything is fucked, so that's not how it works.

>If you get caught in the open as an Eldar and aren't already landing headshots on the guy shooting you, you should be dead in short order.
That's basically how I feel when I'm not playing my Reaper, actually.

they fight good and deathstars

The one in the OP

It's such bullshit that zerkers don't have 2A by default

>Cyclopia Cabal with 5 Mastery 3 Sorcs with force sword/bolt pistol, sigil of corruption, and spell familiar
>The Long and the Damned with 5 cultist blocks, 4 fully kitted out, and one minimum for the apostle so he can keep within 6" off the 4 other squads at all times
>all sorcs rolling for invisibility
Yes or No

yeah that is fuggin weird

I mean my ork boyz have 2 base lel

I use battlescribe and its output doesn't look anything like that?

The one above it ya dingus

Camouflage rhinos are cool

This is alot better at doing essentially the same thing.

>never played 40k
>enjoy listbuilding
>picked up Tau codex back in 6th edition because I really like the caste system fluff and the idea of auxilliaries
>bought a couple models
>assembled, never painted them because RL made me scale back my hobbies
Should I still try and get into this if I don't know where I can go to play nearby and I have no idea how to properly paint minis? Collecting miniatures and making them look nice for display even if I only get to game with them rarely seems comfy.

Am I retarded for wanting to build a Tau/Guard army and fluffing it as Gue'vesa?

Nah, it's you being bad or lying.
I've played a ton against Eldar as Orks mostly but also with LSM and Chaos. It's not all that hard to hit Eldar. Try playing as them. I recently did. It isn't magic. Orcs will obliterate you super easy. Everything can kill you super easy.

Even with bad hit detection you have confined spaces you can easily kill them in. You will win trades with Eldar regularly because they will be so close their weapon accuracy/DPS doesn't save them from much lower HP/armor. When you're an Ork with 245 HP 140 Armor and 140 Toughness you just chase after Eldar and obliterate them and roll behind cover when you're low.

Capping as an Eldar is shit and there's no deathmatch. They don't have meaty dudes to bodyblock for them with shields.

Are they fun to play against? A lot of times they aren't, but that doesn't mean they're godly impossible to hit dudes.

You have to think of how much easier it is an Ork or a Nurgle Chaos dude to just roll sideways behind a wall.

So many times an Eldar will try to do it but he will die almost instantly and not make it.

First off you should try to find places to play.

Second of all, yes, displaying models is one of the best uses of them.

And Gue'vesa conversions look awesome.

Space Spooks when

Never. The game will shut down in October, calling it now.

So guys, do you agree that Grounding Tests should be 4+ and/or taken on every unsaved wound rather than just one at the end of the phase?

How's this for a starting army?

>you will never date a necrontyr qt

Awesome my other question then is about the Gue'vesa rules in Imperial Armour vol. 3 - The Taros Campaign. Specifically, are they legal?

Also, are they any good?

What the fuck.

Why do Tau get cheaper guardsmen than actual fucking guardsmen? I'm triggered. I mean, big deal, you buy frags to get the same cost. Woop-de-fucking-do. I'd drop frags from my whole army to shave off 10 pts per squad and get another 100 bodies.

You should try this instead

I already have Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle, I just want to collect an all plastic army on the side, and I want it to be "the bad guys"

Gue'vesa give any opposed imperium faction Preferred Enemy (Gue'vesa). Guardsmen actually have the option of being upgraded? Does that make it better? I don't play this game.

Anyone tried putting Guardmen / Marine bare-head on Tau Fire Warrior model? I'm thinking about a bit of Gue'vesa theme, but not sure if the head size gonna match body size or not.

>orks
>bad guys

They also don't have laspistols meaning they can't shoot and charge.

You also can't take them outside of a campaign.

I mean
They kinda are
Have you read about the wars on armageddon?

God no, not unless you swap the feet. The bits are really small in comparison to guardsmen which are as tall as space marines in comparison so he'll have a bit of DK mode.
If you're going to do it, swap the feet and either get 3rd party heads or heat up your straight edge and make a clean cut horizontally above the lips or chin and give them "looted" fire warrior helmets.

Orks are like a 3-10 on the BBEG scale
Their plastics are shit too.

Asking my rules question again, as there was no reply last thread. I'm fairly sure I know the answer, but I wanted to be absolutely sure before I call someone out for bullshit.

So the question is: Can a unit of Deathwatch Veterans somehow equip Bolt Pistols?