Theoretical Chaos Gods

Theoretically speaking in Warhammer 40K lore, can any concept or emotion form into a personified Chaos God if enough people in the galaxy ends up following said particular emotion or concept?

Examples: Chaos God of....
Kindness
Boredom
Autism
Particular Ideologies
etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SG7VvMGw6w0?t=11m50s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Perhaps, it would certainly fit the core themes and rules of the Immaterium, but the question is would these Gods even be able to manifest under the oppressive influence of the Ruinous Powers, or would it even go one step further and they'd be consumed?

Regardless, yes, the Warp does not only reflect 'dark and evil' emotions, they're just the strongest contenders right now and, because of how hard Chaos is being pushed in new fluff, they probably always will be.

The Chaos gods already pull double duty though. For example: Khorne oversees survival and Slaanesh love in addition to their main aspects. I'm pretty sure papa Nurgle also has kindness covered. The idea is Chaos grew from human drives, then corrupted them.

Isn't Tzeentch autism incarnate?

I was always surprised there was never a god of fear, as it is just as strong an emotion as lust (Slaanesh), Wrath (Khorne), Ambition (Tzeentch), and Apathy (Nurgle) and their associated maladies (Excess, Blood Letting, Changem and Rot). Fear is Just as strong as an emotion as any of the above and certainly would have heaps to feed off in the 40K universe.

>Autism
But God-Emperor exists

*The Greater Good exists

Fear and despair are Nurgle's traits.

Fear would definitely be a strong emotion and interesting Chaos god, but I don't know how powerful it would be, since you would expect them to be too cripplingly afraid to actually accomplish anything.

Maybe a chaos god of greed and ambition?

Great Horned Rat?

>Maybe a chaos god of greed and ambition?
That's just Tzeentch.

slaanesh would fit both of those.

>Chaos God of Autism

>Fear would definitely be a strong emotion and interesting Chaos god, but I don't know how powerful it would be, since you would expect them to be too cripplingly afraid to actually accomplish anything.
That's exactly how I would make a god of fear. Theoretically more powerful than even Khorn, but impotent by nature. A gigantic corpse holed up in the most obscure parts of the warp.
Though you may also play on the idea of attachment, the fear of losing what is precious to you, for a more active role. And a cornered beast's fear can also trigger the most violent responses.

The more I read and believe to understand about chaos, the more I realise that it is both modern lore and it's inherent paradoxical concept that make it utterly impossible to create a new chaos god. The only exception was maybe Big E and the Chaos God of stasis and disbelief, what with his crippling obsession with science, reason, logic and stoicism.

Throughout Warham's life cycle have the authors brought more and more emotions into the domains of the big four gods and have repeatedly undertaken great efforts (and mental gymnastics) to break more complex emotions down into their feral, primitive origin as to fit into the big four domains.

For new gods to rise and actually challenge the big four for a seat of the table of the great game, we would have to break the ties of certain emotional concepts to the underlying concepts, and that is difficult because we'll always argue about how this or that or such is already connected and very deservingly so to this and that and such god's domain.

Now there's still room for lesser gods, which was all but forgotten in modern Warhammer iterations. In this aspect, yes, we definitely have room for more chaos gods, although they will always pale in comparision to the big four in regards to power and influence, and to a lot of people it is questionable why even make new gods because what emotions will fuel these lesser gods will also fuel into the Big Four.

I imagine they would be a bit like how people turn to Nurgle to escape death and pain. It would offer it's followers the opportunity to never feel fear again and to be feared in return.
>Offer yourself to me and I shall make you courageous and strong. You shall control all who oppose you through terror, their will insignifigant compaired to you. Sell your soul to me and I shall set you free.

The Big Four pretty much embody any emotion you can list, just in it's most base, destructive, and degenerative form. Due to the nature of Chaos it's pretty much impossible for any new god to be formed that could even come close to matching The Ruinous Powers.

Slaanesh is greed and desire, but Tzeentch is ambition. It's one of those almost linked traits that make them more likely to ally with each other rather than Khorne and Nurgle.

lol'd out loud

To elevate Slaanesh from a major daemon to god status, it took the Eldar, as a race, giving up on the Dark Eldar entirely. It took the last vestige of home from a nearly immortal race dying.

Kindness, boredom, autism, and things like that, aside from being covered by the main Chaos gods, are generally not felt as much.

The fifth Chaos god, Malal, covered the self-destructive nature of Chaos, but had to be retconned for legal reasons.

Ultimately, things for which you feel strongly come from something that you'd give up everything to have. Think of a crime. Now think of a crime that isn't already covered by one or two of the existing gods.

There's your secret.

Disappointment. Like Khorne, but he is not mad, just disappointed.

I think this explains lesser Chaos Gods best.

He's the exact opposite

I think there actually is somewhere, IIRC theres some lesser chaos god of fear, but yeah like other anons have stated it probably falls somewhat under nurgles domain

youtu.be/SG7VvMGw6w0?t=11m50s

What's interesting to me is that people have to die first before their emotions can fuel Chaos, or at least that is what I am taking away from it.

This never gets talked about on this board. It's always "Lol u wr angre Khorne is now stronke!".

Fantasy had Necoho, the minor chaos god of atheism. There were a couple other minor chaos gods, since Fantasy tended to be a lot more fun with chaos, but Necoho is the one that sticks out in my mind.

This.
The desire to survive should be the driving factor for most Nurgle worshippers.
That could also be were the affiliation with plagues comes from. Wouldn't you also pray to him during a Pest epidemic?

A chaos god composed of misery, despair and darkness(pretty much exactly what the nightbringer is but as a chaos deity)

You're wrong.
Emotion feeds Chaos while you're alive.

In-lore, there should already be a lot of Chaos gods of more minor concepts that have carved out their own spots in the formless wastes. Granted, most of them would be slightly more powerful than a greater Daemon, but they should still exist.

They don't get any focus because they're so minor though

See

I did.
It doesn't say that the emotions of the living don't fuel Chaos.
Whereas plenty does.

Tzeentch is ADHD incarnate

>Chaos God of Autism
I realize that that was a joke, but that would honestly be an interesting concept.
With how high the human population is in 40K, and with how much the population of autistics have grown in recent years, there would certainly be enough autistics to justify it.

>Makes no mention of emotions fueling chaos while living
>Goes in great detail about how emotions of dead people fuel chaos
Evidence of absence.

Isn't the uptick in the amount of autists more due to the widening of the diagnosis guidelines and the sublimation of other diseases into the "autism" diagnosis?

It's easy to diagnose more autists when the bar for what counts as autism gets lower.

Just because it doesn't mention it in that one specific piece doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

That one specific piece is presented in canon as an exhaustive account of how chaos works, and overlooking a detail that huge would be conspicuous.

Also take into consideration that now that people are actually looking for cases of autism, cases that would previously go unnoticed or undiagnosed now weigh into the evaluation, as well.

One shold not forget this all was said by a Chaos Worshipper, a Slaaneshi even. So...

>That one specific piece is presented in canon as an exhaustive account of how chaos works

No, it's an in universe scholar's idea of how it works. It's not exhaustive by any means.

>autism

Could there be a chaos god of hunger?

Hunger really isn't an emotion. It's a sensation like pain. It would generally fall under Slannesh I think, though honestly it seems more like a Nurgle thing.

Slaanesh has an entire circle of their real set aside for guttony, with lakes of wine and endless feasts.

Starvation would fall more under Nurgle with various diseases and parasites that result in it one way or another, whether it's a plague on your crops or the inability to keep food down.

Slaanesh is gorging on an Excess of food, Nurgle is Despair at a lack of enough

What if you're getting off on the hunger pains? What if you're self-starving to lose weight?

Is it now a Slannesh thing?

Still, the despair and the fear of hunger make it more Nurglish.

The desperation caused by hunger may be an emotion in itself, and considering the nature of 40K there's a lot to go around. Doesn't really seem to be claimed, either. I guess you could say it's a Slaanesh thing, but Slaany is more pushing yourself rather then running from things you don't like.

>implying tzeentch is not best autismo waifu

Do the tyranids have proper “emotions“? Coule chaos feed on them? Could there be a chaos god of devouring?

If you're trying to lose wait by starving yourself, that probably ties into Slaanesh's other aspects of physical beauty more. The former is trickier to place

Well, Slaanesh is feast, Nurgle is famine, and the thing that would fit outside of those is that sort of predatory hunger of hunting, which could fit as a separate entity.

I am pretty certain that the Hive-Mind is a massively powerful warp entity.
Anyway considering that everything the Tyranids conquer gets cut off from the warp entirely, no.

Pretty much At most, you would have non-synapse organisms that died while cut off from the hive mind's influence feed it, but at that point it's no more than any other wild animal

That is definitely a Slaaneshi thing, if you're striving for (what you think is) beauty/physical perfection.

I think you underestimate how much murderfucking was required to create Slaanesh. I don't think it can be replicated.

>Do the tyranids have proper “emotions“?

Yes.
The Hivemind has been show to hate.

>Anyway considering that everything the Tyranids conquer gets cut off from the warp entirely, no.

But that's not true. All Tyranids to is eat people. They don't cut off the warp.

I'm surprised a "False" Emperor-Chaos god hasn't formed from the constant worship of the emperor. All those souls dieing believing in the emperor and no chaos god taking up the idealized yet corrupted title of God Emperor of Mankind?
Kind of figure that Ynnead is either a corrupted god or a chaos god pretending to be Ynnead.

But they do.
There's no way to warp-travel or to communicate through the warp with a tyranid-controlled world.
The Hive-Mind is able to pull off shit that makes chaos gods look like puny little babies.

>There's no way to warp-travel or to communicate through the warp with a tyranid-controlled world.

They do not accomplish anything by cutting off the warp though. They fill the warp with their own psychic chatter.

>The Hive-Mind is able to pull off shit that makes chaos gods look like puny little babies.

Like what? The Tyranids avoid warpstorms and Slaanesh was easily able to overpower the Hivemind in Valedor.