ITT: Wasted Settings

>ITT: Wasted Settings

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=82h-ga3Ce0E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Destiny's setting was shit from top to bottom.

Destiny Phase aka
Extinction aka
Destiny Adapted

Extinction is set several hundred years in the future after a war and/or disaster (it isn’t immediately clear) has destroyed most Human life on Earth and contact has been lost with all of the solar settlements beyond Earth. Prior to this incident, Humans had spread and colonized the Solar System, building vast cities on Luna, Mars, Titan and several orbital stations around Earth and Jupiter. Advanced technology made major progress in many fields. Humanity began to terraform Mars and Venus, vastly extended its lifespan, and sent colony ships out beyond the solar system itself.

This Golden Age would last for centuries, but human civilization fell victim to a cataclysm of extraordinary magnitude, known as the Collapse. It is not known what the Collapse really was. What is known is that contact was lost with deep space vessels and then one by one, contact with the outer colonies was lost. The early warning satellites were disabled and large asteroids wiped out 99.99% of life on earth, burning the surface before plunging it into an 18 month period of cold darkness. It is rumored by some that the Collapse was caused by radical human colonial separatists, others say it was an alien attack. The enemy that destroyed Humanity is known as the Darkness, because of the mystery surrounding who or what it is.

As far as the survivors know, the last great city of Humanity is known as Enoch, and consists of a dome over a semi-underground settlement built into solid rock. Enoch has salvaged what technology they can and have equipped teams of people that combine the functions of scouts, soldiers and scientists. Known as Wardens, they aim to discover what happened to Humanity, defend the remnants of Humanity and salvage what they can. The goal is not just about shooting things as with Destiny, because it is difficult to get a lot of satisfaction from that in a pen and paper RPG. Instead the themes are of survival and discovery, with maybe a hint of horror.

In the city of Enoch lies a largely intact Explorer AI in a vast starship known as the Traveler. Based on the old Warminds, this AI is different, being larger and less limited in its goals. Unfortunately, the AI was damaged somehow. Its databases are largely intact, but the AI's ability to access them has been degraded, and it seems to have lost a lot of its recollection of the pre-collapse period. The vessel itself is badly damaged and shows signs of violent conflict.

Options:
In Destiny the Golden Age was started by an alien giant spherical space vessel known as the Traveler. The Traveler granted Humanity great technological advances (as well as apparently magic powers). For the moment I’d stick with a more grounded setting where the powers of the “Guardians” (or “Wardens” in my setting) are technological in nature, albeit very advanced technology. I don’t know why the Traveler had to be of alien origin either. Why couldn’t Humanity advance through its own discoveries? Or perhaps the Traveler could have been a massive AI of Human origin.

This.

They went all out way too fast, nothing has any impact at all.

Actually it's its prequel that's been literally WASTED

It's /v/ but I always liked the RAGE setting. Shame it never really went anywhere (and that the game just, like, ended).

One spoiled brat's autism about the series means that all of the LOTRO media that's made has to not reference any of the basic notes and history of the setting.

Not really? There's a whole lot of rather interesting lore and story tidbits, it's just that so much shit got cut from the game, and the story got relegated to only being in the Grimoire Cards that everything got massively fucked. I mean there is the tiniest bit of good from the cut however, we didn't get treated to the 'original' plot of "The Traveler was evil all along hurr durr", so that's a plus.

Warframe is a better game but holy shit the state of the lore is laughable

I'm not sure if 'the Traveler is an omnipotent, weak, cowardly retard, crippled by a civilization using ar-15s and 21 century Russian tanks' is really any better. Power levels in destiny make no sense at all, even Warhammer has more consistent lore.

Actually the Traveler got crippled by an arsenal of futuristic nuclear weapons at point blank range. It's pretty weak on its own, and usually just leaves whenever the host race starts failing against the Darkness.

In destiny only two things matter, the Darkness and the Light, club swinging caveman will mop the floor with anyone and anything as long as he has an access to either and his opponent to none. So the Traveler is anything but weak.

> >ITT: Wasted Settings

It never had any potential, it was somehow even dumber than tomb raider.

Why did one of the most unique setting ideas in the last 5 years have to be wasted on this pastel piece of shit?

>It never had any potential
That's just false.
If it didn't focus on "muh special snowflake protagonist story no one cares about" and "muh precursors advanced civilization", and instead focused on actually running an assassin bureau, it would've been great.
Like, I legitimately enjoyed AC2 and AC: Brotherhood. That was good shit. And after that it was just all the way down.

I am still stunned to this day how little we've learned about the setting in more than 4 years of Warframe. Like don't get me wrong, we've come a long way from how it was at launch, where things we so vague I genuinely didn't think Corpus crewmen were human, just robotic heads hooked up to clone bodies. We know fundamentally speaking what forces are in play in the orokin system and what they do.

But god damn, they really are taking a hard stance on the whole 'lost knowledge dredged from the ruins of the Orokin empire". It is to this day fucking baffling how the Tenno originally came to operate within the Orokin empire, how the Old War was fought, why the infested exist, etc.

Even some of the stuff that is a little veiled but ultimately out of the bag, like what a Cephalon is and does, raises many questions. It seems like the Orokin jumped the shark on their little butlerian jihad. In the process of avoiding creating AI because they distrusted robots, they instead did a bit of psychosurgery on people and then turned them into fucking GODS just to make their computers run properly.

Like, I should point out that Cephalons:
- Are effectively indestructible physically, either you can explode every computer they are on the network of and they still exist, or they are capable of transferring their entire consciousness as a single bit of data, it isn't totally clear.
- They are capable of creating and destroying space. They can just make new planes of existence if they want, whatever. Not huge ones, but a couple of city blocks, easy. They can also pull shit out of the real world into these places. This is not limited to willing targets.
- They can operate on any computational system from vacuum tubes to vat-grown bioprocessors.

If these *gods* weren't hamstringed by design into being glorified personal assistants they would be terrifying. Far stronger than any other fictional AI I can think of, save maybe for Culture minds.

I really wish I could like SU. It's a neat premise and the gems/homeworld have so much cool potential, but instead all we get is muh lezbeans and crying about feelings and pandering to the tumblriest parts of tumblr

It's more like they overextended the setting.

A conflict between two old groups, one democratic based and one autocratic based, is a scenario that has been popular for ages. Magical macguffins thrown in for conflict is great as well.

Adding in retarded aliens, giving Adam and Eve superpowers, or making every conflict in every single time period around the entire world secretly about people dicking around for control of a shiny ball is just terrible.

Not to mention that after the Ezio storyline, it's for some reason turned into "Ubisoft's favorite moments in history highlight reel", with the actual story taking a backseat to the devs showing off their cutscene recreations of the signing of Declaration of Independence, Blackbeard's death, and Jack the Ripper (Who's essentially an Assassin class servant for no reason)

If they just kept it about climbing buildings and assassinating minor and major players to change the course of history, interspersed with characters who have relatable goals and motivations, it could have been a great series.

Instead, it's an embarrassment, and Ubisoft put the series on hiatus to try and make Watchdogs their flagship property, before fucking that up by trying to pander to every demographic at the exact same time and pissing off all of them.

Looking at this season's anime assortment, ID-0 and Clockwork Planet are already sticking out like sore thumbs in this regard. I mean, we still have three quarters of a season to work with but I'll be surprised if they can reach their fullest potential from this much of a poor start.

There are far too many anime/manga that have potentially interesting settings and choose to ignore them in favor of fistfuls of chiches and fanservice. Even a lot of the standard shonen schlock has interesting background info that's lost in favor of the protag powering up for the eightieth time. Naruto, for instance.

It's just a historical setting with half the depth stripped out and black and white morality thrown in. It was a fun game, but not a good setting other than a collection of set pieces.

>either and his opponent to none
The Cabal, the alien race who has very little to do with the Darkness, and the faction that just happens to be the one to level the Last City, would disagree with you.

Even before that. There were so many things Tenno could've been, all of them more interesting than magical space teenagers!

Admittedly, though, the Cabal seem to be basically an afterthought at this point. I don't really think there's much to their lore other than that they're big dudes who like to fight and the ones here are probably just a scout force

Hey, I like magic mutant space autists telepuppeting biorobots

have you seen the greentext essay by that one /pol/ack who argues that SU is secretly/accidentally redpilled?

Nope. How the hell does that work?

>Admittedly, though, the Cabal seem to be basically an afterthought at this point. I don't really think there's much to their lore other than that they're big dudes who like to fight and the ones here are probably just a scout force

>He doesn't know

They were a scout force. After TTK they sent a distress signal back to their main force. Said main force came and made every other enemy faction look bad by kicking down the Guardians' collective door, blowing up their loot, and pissing on the ashes.

There's a lot that shows the three Gems being much less effective as a parent than Steven's single father.
The all-female Gem Empire is a rigid caste society that's extremely racist and xenophobic, treating Humans like animals.
Small stuff that's easy to miss if you don't look at the big picture in the show.

Well shit. Since 1 seemed to have mainly shown off the Hive and the fallen, think we'll get more about the Cabal and the Vex? I'm interested in knowing what the fuck is their deal

Look, Destiny doesn't operate on straight power-wankery levels. Bigger guns don't always mean shit, and all "magic" in the setting is laced with symbolic and narrative meaning.

The conflict in Destiny is, in a more nebulous and overarching sense, a debate between all major factions about what the correct way of being is, with each faction seeming to represent one possible answer as outlined in the "Three Queens" grimoire where Toland rants about the darkness. The conflicts between them are framed in a narrative sense, each significant fight and action taken by one faction or another is framed in the context which grants it significantly deeper meaning than the surface.

It's why people who keep repeating "but you killed Oryx McSpaceGod with bullets" seem to be forgetting that because of who the Guardians are and their nature (as agents of the Traveller and beings imbued with Light), and the nature of how they killed Oryx (in his own Throne World and according to his laws but without following his pattern and using his own power), you've essentially followed the pattern of an Arthurian Knight story with a twist at the end that the mantle of what was defeated wasn't taken up again; which is what makes Oryx's death a bigger deal than just having shot a particularly large Hive monster to death.

all I know is that they're kind of goofy looking

The game looks like it's going to be awesome when you start playing but then after a few hours you realize the devs ran out of ideas and the content is just endlessly repeating itself.

Cabal are almost certainly going to be the first raid, assuming they don't fuck things up, and considering Mercury (I think it was Mercury) was turned into a gigantic Vex super computer, we could easily get some more of the bots. There's also theories that they're a sort of Fallen creationthat got pulled into serving the Darkness.

We're going to be seeing more of Osiris and Rasputin after the Cabal are dealt with.

After that is anyone's guess. My money is on the House of Kings.

Definitely. If we're going off Toland's "Three Queens" fable, we've already shown off the Fallen (lack of a position and Queen) and the Hive (Queen of Armies), we're going to be seeing much more of the next two players (Cabal; Queen of Law/Vex: Queen of Knowledge) with some flavoring of playing around with the repercussions of the events of the first game.

But as it is, the teasers for Destiny 2 basically open with the Cabal's invasion of Earth, destruction of the City, and capture of the Traveller.

Well, there's a bit of a Mercury cult (Osiris?) that was introduced late in D1, so it's possible it was an introduction for a faction that'll gain some significance later on.

Looks like Mercury might actually be something big then. Going to be cool to see some more of Rasputin too.

I know everyone was bawwwing over how their Tenno were actually space puppies and O M G the Tenno were supposed to be super badass and KIDS aren't badass at all, LAME! But if people would stop being Xbros for like 5 seconds they'd realise it was inevitable.

But frankly, something like this was a necessity, because as soon as Hydroid came out we established that the Tenno were definitely not just wearing the suits. Furthermore, despite the personification of each frame as an individual with personality, Tenno clearly referred to the overarching player who mastered many of them.

So some kind of dreamer controlling the suits was inevitable at that point. Up until the second dream, I had my theories that there were originally occupants to the suits who ascended to another plane of fucking existence like Cephalons, but DE clearly decided they wanted to tell a story with some personal impact, and room for development of our main character, and ultimately led to exactly what we got. There was simply no other way. Why couldn't they just be adults,
you ask? Because Warframe powers clearly operate on storybook logic. It also plays into the narrative roles that the Lotus and Teshin were always meant to play, making you subordinate to them in a more personal way than if they were just superior officers in the Orokin Empire.
It also emphasises the physical contrast between the more diminutive frames and their even-more-fragile-still operator.

I honestly feel sorry for the artists behind Space Cowboy Online. They did some fantastic work but at the end of the day it all had to be crammed into a free to play Korean MMORPG.

>great worldbuilding
>follows some brit kids
goddamn even Tolkien told the guy that he fucked up

>Great worldbuilding
>Excellent lore
>Interesting characters
>It's all an extended allegory for how WW2 would suck less if you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior.

Activates my almonds, fampai.

Read the other six books you uncultured shit who knows nothing. Those kids are only present for like 1/3 of the series.

-Veeky Forums

>Veeky Forums
>C.S.Lewis
No, we know you're from Veeky Forums, you just have better taste than that guy.

>kid gets turned into a fucking dragon
>"this sucks I want to turn back"
That was the point when I realized the author grew up in an isolation tank and had never actually seen a child in real life.

>Revelations was bad meme

No

I get the sarcasm, but they are also children's books meant to teach morals to kids. I liked all of them except for Dawn Trader and Silver Chair. They were stupid

Infomorphs, ascended post-human energy beings, AI, literal ghosts, the player as an actual out-of-setting entity. Make your pick. I get the personal impact, but did we really need it for a multiplayer co-op focused game?

I guess my point is I liked the mystery and theorycrafting, and any solid answer would be worse than no answer at all.

I agree, that art is fantastic.

There is still way, way too much unknown in the game.

In fact, I got really salty that they shut down the Simaris lore gathering missions. I nearly committed to pushing myself to the fucking limit on that last guardsman one, I was in the top 5 for the first week and a half of that, but then I saw my competition manage 30 syntheses inside of an hour and it broke my spirit utterly, knowing I would need to do the missions ceaselessly save for sleeping (My best was 20 in an hour, and I was averaging more like 17 for the hours I was active) if I wanted to retain a place on the leaderboard.

But that said, I would do missions that rewarded exclusive lore over gear in a heartbeat. Exclusive being the keyword. I'm sick of such a meagre amount of information being in the game that it can be immediately gathered and transcribed into the wiki. I want a drop table consisting of thousands of separate paragraphs of quotes and excerpts from the setting, that you can only quest for once a day or something. Enough that I can feel special for knowing things about the setting that most other people don't.

My problem is that there is too much that when it was elaborated upon, turned out to be rather uninteresting and too much that just wasn't what I cared for.

I put 400+ hours in Warframe over some years and the grind plus the fact that most of what WAS being shown(the little that was) was just more Orokin/Tenno. I thought that we knew all we needed to know at the time, I wanted elaboration on the inner machinations of the Corpus and Grineer. I found those guys much more fascinating in concept. I wanted more that would give some WEIGHT to events. You're told innocents will die, but you scarcely ever see what human settlements are there beyond some shmucks wandering around a space station. That plus just the sheer amount of repetitive content got me and I just...can't play it. I know that they've done new lore missions or whatever but I just...can't play it.

The kids really did offset me because it felt the blandest take on what the Tenno could be, I think they worked better as a mystery because seeing this autistic looking kid just...bugged me. It felt like all that mystery just evaporated.

Do you know what a setting is?

>wasted settings
And how.

Not that guy but I would be interested in reading more

During the year 745 M41 on the eastern fridges of the galaxy the imperium discovered the extragalactic Xeno species know as the Tyranids. Unbeknownst to them the reason was because they were attracted to the light of the Astronomicon but what would happen on the other side of the galaxy another force, a massive and mysterious being who has been terraforming worlds it's run into is also on its way to Terra? During the year 820 M41 (random date) on the fringes of the Segmentum Pacificus an explorator fleet finds the it while it is terraforming a world.
This is wandering being is known as the Traveler.

What happens?

>Space Cowboy Online
Holy fuck, that's a blast from the past.

WildStar.

It's a kooky blend of sci-fi fantasy (erring towards sci-fi) that feels like a space western a lot of the time. It didn't take itself too seriously, and it still cultivated a sense of adventure and exploration, even offering one of those "destined hero" storylines for those interested. The setting was cool, the technology was fascinating, the cartoonish art design lends to its charm, and there's just so much to work with. Unfortunately, it was a new IP by a new company putting out a new MMORPG, which already stacked the odds against it, and the bugginess and emphasis on super-hardcore raiding other other missteps essentially strangled the baby in its crib, a fate from which it has never truly recovered. I would hate to see the IP go to waste like this.

Word.

If you read the grimorie cards from Age of Triumph you'd know that Prince Uldren already took over the House of Kings. Several things have happened in the AoT cards:

1. Eris Morn has fucked off to go find Savathun and Xivu Arath wants to keep fighting the Hive herself. This might segway into her finding the one remaining pre-Hive Krill (can't remember her name) who's probably in statis again

2. Prince Uldren has been fucking around the Solar System and let himself be captured by the Kings for the purpose of usurping them and becoming their Kell. As the cards sound it seems like he's done it. Not only that the other fallen have essentially fucked off probably under the new banner of Kell Uldren.

3. Prior to Age of Triump there was talk of Lysander and the Concordat so they might make an apperance and Factions become more important. In the trailers you primarily see New Monarcy who are down for the pound in protecting the city, I wouldn't be surprised if Dead Orbit fucked off and FWC is probably fighting alongside New Monarcy as well.

4. A big item in AoT is the knuckles of Eao which are the bones of an Ahamkara so those guys may come back as well.

I'd play a brutal legends tabletop

Well, I'd say that the settings themselves clash when it comes to tone and theme. While damn near everything scifi can be or is referenced in 40k, it's always a grimdark reflection of the source material unless the sources was already pretty dark and grim in which case it just becomes 40k themed. And if it is a roughly 1:1, the setting rules demand it become corrupted or be destroyed because everything else in 40k is grimdark.

There's been benevolent AI in 40k that been blown up because the IoM bans it. There's been benevolent alien species that get blown up, magical scifi technology that's a twisted reference to something pop-culture or a direct reference which is subsequently exploded because of reasons.

Also consider the Traveller has "magic" because it's a product of something that has absolute mastery over science, so much so that the metaphysical becomes a hard science and existential crisis becomes externalized war. The faction in 40k with absolute mastery over science is the Necrons, who just have power over physical laws. This is the fundamental problem with how Destiny clashes with 40k. 40k takes things to a shallow extreme. The Necrons mastered science, so now the bend those laws. The Tyranids are biological, so everything they do is biological. Chaos has gods with a single focus and that focus leads pretty expected and predictable goals and outcomes. But Destiny takes things to their bizarre extreme. The Vex are absolute logic and come around to worship and faith. The Hive took survival and became the antithesis of life. The Traveller brings scientific mastery and it comes down to metaphysics and symbolism.

40k takes things to an expected outcome according to its own grimdark rules. Destiny takes things and gives them a twist, which on the surface seems contradictory, but instead hints at a deeper history, meaning, or logical path.

You mean Crusades, Renaissance or any of the other historical settings they placed aliens into? Those have been done many times.

You made me remember the game. Fuck you.

To be fair, though, I seem to recall the setting being pretty good for how little of it we actually got. Like different grey factions.

>Who's essentially an Assassin class servant
I doubt Jack was a loli under that mask. That's the kinda thoughtless twist Shaymalan would do.

part 1

>yfw they discover Ocelot's corpse & throw him in the animus for shits & giggles
>yfw they will never make a game based on The Sorrow

Taox is the name you're looking for. Im honestly surprised shes still alive considering that two Hive gods are after her

Well, she survived initially by getting on a ship and sleeping in stasis for some 10,000 years before the Ecumene found her. They learned about the Hive from her intially and I assume she fucked off before the Hive killed them all as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Eris finds her.

R.I.P. Sarge's Heroes
>Can use plastic army men and make a wargame or an rpg based in this universe
>Can be green, gray, tan, or blue
>There is sufficient lore to make a story

Right in the nostalgia user, you bitch

Traveler Object is taken and analyzed, with the possibility of finding the enhancements in the "Light" it provides. Alternatively, it's obliterated from range, the Ghosts likewise, and they scavenge material from the wreckage.

>If it didn't focus on "muh special snowflake protagonist story no one cares about" and "muh precursors advanced civilization", and instead focused on actually running an assassin bureau, it would've been great.
This
>black and white morality
Confirmed for enver played the first game

kek

>>ITT: Wasted Settings
A lot of good mangas

youtube.com/watch?v=82h-ga3Ce0E
It was fun

Maybe shes been out raising armies against the Hive, or teaching other civilizations about the Hive

She's not immortal, then again we don't know the life span of pre-Hive Krill only that they live considerably longer then regular krill who had a life span of 10 years.

If there are other Alien life out there that hasn't been bent over and fucked by the Hive there might be a chance she was taken in by them or she left something behind because it's been thousands of years even since the fight between the Hive and Ecumene.

huh?
Esplain.

No, he actually met REAL children, not the stunted little shits that grow up to infest this board.

They're saving all the big lore for Overwatch 2, probably.

> black and white morality thrown in
The entire theme of AC is that Assassins are often just as bad as the Templars are and vice versa - it's just the traditional SMT Law vs. Chaos conflict brought down to the human level.

It wasn't bad, it just was worse than Brotherhood.
I mean, Brotherhood nailed absolutely fucking everything that AC should've been. You had turf wars, you had Romulus tombs, you had the entirety of the city of Rome that was thematically more interesting than any other AC setting ever since - it was just all-around fantastic.
Revelations was just kinda meh in comparison.

me and a friend were actually working on that. basically rogue trader only with a band. Each band had a tour bus which would act as their ship. Even had a table to roll on to customize the bus. all magic were channeled through metal of course.

the Mechanicus have found their god.

To just give a little context for just how fucking amazing a discovery The Traveller would be to the Mechnicus. Their Cyberdongs would not only be rock-fucking-hard, their ships Navigator's heads would explode from the sheer physical arousal the sight would bring. If the Mechanicus would strip a world to the bone to find a blueprint, how do you think they'd react of they found something that contained
And if that thing was also intelligent and friendly? Fuck, their doctrine has no fucking way to deal with something like this. It's like seeing the rapture.

There's a nonzero chance that the Traveler fixes the Emperor and then they both go and tag-team the Void Dragon, repeatedly suplexing him until he goes back to sleep.

Though I'll be honest, I suspect that the Traveler's arrival is going to have a bunch of Inquisitors following it around, glaring at her and yelling "What are you planning, foul xenos machine?!" Because something as genuinely good and altruistic as the Traveler is a complete break from reality for everyone 40k.
It's the Mechanicus.

Their cyberdongs would be so hard that they would be able to construct new armours with them.

Which is why it's interesting that the Cabal and Fallen are the two races which have come closest to wiping out the city.

They are able to do that not because they have magic and legends and rules, but because they're basically just people. Like the people that live in the city.

Probably for the best anyway. The Traveller is a prison for the Light.

They would burn in down because lol heresy and then some inquisitor would burn down the cinders because lol heresy.

part 2 user?
>tfw you had the very first game for PC but can't find it anywhere

How many were there even? I think I remember the first one (which was practically a milsim puzzle), a sequel, and later some blue (plastic) alien chicks invading kitchen counters.