EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Mistakes were made" Edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What's the worst misplay you've seen someone come back from to win it? That you've personally come back from?

fecundity, inheritance, culling dias, carnage altar, greater good ( greater good would probably be terrible for tokens Honestly )

A lot of traditional green draw still works. Primordial Sage, Soul of the Harvest, Collective Unconscious...

Is Dark Confidant good in EDH with a medium-low mana curve? I need more card draw in my deck to keep up with the spiky Blue decks at my LGS

It's pretty decent

I both own and play that card, 'cause fuck it and fuck you.

Eeh? Most of the time I'd rather have Phyrexian Arena in anything but combo and Necropotence in combo. But, singleton format, it's not the world's worst Arena #2. For me, at least, Confidant does too little at too high a cost to be worth the price it rightly commands for its dominance in other formats. I guess it's a little like Tarmogoyf that way, except while 'Goyf would be retarded to run in commander Confidant can at least still pull its weight, just not its weight plus the weight of the dollars to get it.

Why does commander have 40 life?

Spirit of the Format, etc.

so is eldrazi displacer the best flicker enabler? i'm imagining getting mad value out of ulvenwald hydra and eternal witness.

Requiring colorless mana is kinda annoying deck building wise but yeah I think it's probably the best

Now throw in a Panharmonicon and Sad Robo or other neat things.

>Sad Robo
?

Solemn simulacrum.

Presumably to help mitigate against everyone ganging up on one person with a weak start/more threatening deck choice. Thing is the format has begun to lean on top end threats to the point where some decks dont even swing untill they have lethal.

Friend of mine actually built a commander deck around his impact tremors standard pile. Naya value using the partners as the head(s) and token/value nonsense.

We call him Jens

More time to build mana to play stupid huge cards

Do you sleeve up all your conmander decks even if they aren't valuable? If so what containers hold sleeved decks well? Been using stuff like pic related for unsleeved stuff but they feel too snug for regular sleeves

I sleeve only decks i have at the moment, the rest of the cards sit in storage unsleeved or with penny sleeves if it's an expensive card. No need to put decks i don't play in storage, i just buy yet another of those cheap deckboxes and shove it in there sleeved ready to be played in case i change my mind.

Shit, that could be fun in a domain deck, for shits and giggles. The cumulative upkeep kills it, though.

I sleeve all my decks, even Ashling and the 99 Mountains.

I double sleeve even my pauper decks.

i sleeve all of them. its not that expensive. im starting to want to get bigger boxes though

Dead-Eye Navigator is also pretty famous.
Honorable mention to Astral Slide, Venser, Skybind, Brago, Conjurer's Closet, Identity Thief and Mistmeadow Witch.

If it goes for play at anything other than my own house or the home of specific members of my immediate family (aka places where the environment is fairly controlled) it gets sleeves. I'm also way more zealous about sleeving commander decks than 60 card, often doing so just as a matter of course. Why? Well, I've got a great riffle shuffle honed over north of 20 years to not bend cards like autists scream about proper shuffling doing, but I can only pull it off with unsleeved decks of, oh, 80 cards or less. Since I can't shuffle EDH properly anyway, the sleeves make it WAY easier to do a mash shuffle that's almost as good as my practiced riffle

Anything from Amonkhet calling to you?

I'm tempted to make a Hapatra deck and just have snakes all over the place

Because it's a timmy format for big dumb timmy things and timmies prefer more time to set up and do funny shit

are you implying that's a bad thing?

Haptra -1/-1 counter tribal with some good infinite options, maybe infect plan c

As Foretold looks awesome

I want to make Approach of the Second Sun work, at least in WU where it shouldn't be too hard to scry/draw/remand my way to that second cast. It's a one-card wincon, that's at least worth investigating further.

As Foretold has a place in a few of my decks with blue identities.
Prowling Serpopard fits in a good few of my mono-G decks and is making me want to build a Ruric Thar "don't control me ever again" deck.

Not at all, I'm just explaining that that is, ultimately, the reason that it's 40 life. I'm as timmy as it gets, I don't even like winning, I just get deep satisfaction by "doing" whatever the deck I build is "meant to do".

Because having a life pad lets commander be the big format of complicated games its Johnny/Timmy designers wanted it to be, rather than rocket tag.

Mostly.

Not at all. I've been anticipating this set ever since it was first announced and it turned out to be quite the turd for my tastes. Probably the only thing I'd really want is any of the new cycling duals, especially pic related.

How the shit did I overlook the fact that they have basic land types? Jesus Christ I'm excited now.

minotaurs

Gotta have those Skyshroud Claim synergies.

Just found an old BW good-stuff deck I had built ages ago.

Is there any actually decent Ayli builds, or tech that really hold up? Or will dropping a ton of rocks to pay for all the expensive activated abilities just eat my hand?

I don't want to go combo, just something more resilient.

As a Green player, the only vaguely interesting thing is the Green god and maybe the artifact hoser beast. That aside, the cycle duals are just about it. Terrible set, even by the rock-bottom standards of nuMagic.

Not at all. I might still go to the prerelease, though, and see what it plays like in Limited.

Vizier of the Menagerie isn't interesting for you? Or are you playing some weird monoG spellslinger

Oh yeah, that thing. It's alright I guess. Green doesn't have a ton of scry effects that synergize with it so it doesn't exactly blow my mind but it's certainly cool. Mostly I'm butthurt that it's a """"naga"""" instead of a snake. Because we're in such danger of breaking Orochi decks, I guess.

Amonkhet feels like they played it too safe. Glorybringer feels like the only risk the set is taking. Just wish that they did more with the gods as they're easily the most disappointing thing about the set

>scry effects
>instead of just shuffling your deck over and over from fetching lands

Honestly though, Amonkhet is unironically a great set for EDH, new generals aside.

Archfiend of Ifnir gives me the nefarious thoughts of -1/-1 for days

Sensei's Divining Top is colorless

Commit//Memory is so damn good I don't know why people aren't talking about it. It's only bad if your deck is running green or white.

Pretty much if you are in a position where you think chaos warp is good this card is incredible, the only reason I think people aren't talking about it is so they can pick up foil copies cheap on release.

>overcosted Flametongue Kavu was their only risk

Is it really that good? I want to like it, but holding 4 mana feels painful.

>Holding
That's just it, it's a counterspell and a wonky vindicate. If you don't leave 4 mana up to counter their threat you can still just shove it in their library.

When late game hits it will be easier to hold up the mana against spells you need to stop like Genesis wave or TnN.

Also if you hit topdeck mode it's a wheel. And it's graveyard hate.

you're still committing 2 turns to doing something that the first turn is pretty weak, and the second turn you tap 6 to wheel, meaning someone else will likely get the benefits first.

Woah, you never have to wheel. Its just a freebie if you really need cards or graveyard hate. The most important part of the spell is Commit. Going into your library, even two cards down is better than graveyard IMHO with all the recursion in the format.

If you are in white or green this won't seem as attractive, but if you are someone that thinks chaos warp is good this card is pretty much just better. I have literally chaos warped combo pieces only for them to flip the same piece back (after a cut even), not to mention shit like chaos warping a turn 3 rhystic for them to flip omniscience or Jin gitaxis.

The question is, is 1 mana more worth it to never be fucked by chaos warp, to be able to counter spells with chaos warp, and to get a bonus time twister if you want it.

Except the Timetwister is 6 fucking mana, and without library manipulation Commit is a shitty Delay.

If it was going to kill me I would have never let it resolve in the first place.

>without library manipulation Commit is a shitty Delay.
Disagree, without library manipulation it's a better tempo play then delay since they have to spend a draw getting back that thing they already had and mana to recast, as opposed to no draws and no mana for delay.

> Commit is a shitty Delay
I'm sorry, I didn't realize delay made them pay for the card again, put them down a card, and could hit all nonland permanents as well as spells.

>If it was going to kill me I would have never let it resolve in the first place

>I'm such a powerful blue mage and so skilled I can counter everything and nothing my opponents play ever resolves!

Sure thing bub.

I've got a brutal desire to build, but no Commanders interest me at all right now, it's a weird withdraw sort of feeling.

>If it was going to kill me I would have never let it resolve in the first place.

being the original replyer: It's true you don't have to wheel, and in a mono blue deck, this card would make decent removel if you can't afford vensor or similar cards that counter things to the bottom of libraries.

However, topdeck manipulation is available in all colors, as is instant speed draw. Chances are they'll just scumble back into that card anyway, and unless it's a craterhoof or another 5+ mana kill option (I' just ignoring color requirements here but if it's hard to cast chances are they have fixing) they can just recast it the next turn most likely.

However this is a great Mana rock tempo card if you need to slow them down past turn 6 if that's where you want to be.

Of course I could just be wrong, I have yet to playtest it.

Yeah, I couldn't hold up 0 mana for a Pact but I've got four mana sitting right here for this junk rare.

Don't worry though as I'll just spend 6 mana on my turn to wheel, that's bound to put me so far ahead.

I'd your argument against this card is just that it's not as good as pact, one of the best cards in the format, then it's a lot better than even I was thinking it was.

I was just thinking it's better than chaos warp.

Best general for Golgari tokens? Was thinking Meren to reanimate the engines but I feel like there's someone better out there.

Oh boy what do I even address?

>Comparing every counterspell to PoN
How many of those do you have in your 99, bub? PoN and Force are great... for protecting and protecting against combo. You want blue premium removal though, you pay mana.

>Implying you have to wheel
Because we all know aftermath cards are just like those pacts you like; you have to pay next turn. You can't just have the option on hook, expanding your effective 'hand' until you need it.

>He doesn't see the point in wheeling
Credit where it's due, 6 is a good deal to actually PAY for your Time Spiral/Day's Undoing. But not every deck that runs blue is "Blargh, my hand is full at all times" drawfag. Some of them are Animar, or affinity-related and vomit their hands onto the field, where mana is cheap and cards are at a premium at which point 6 mana for a draw 7 don't mind if I do. and some are Leovold, where wheeling is always an option. And it's mana-expensive... but Card-free. You don't have to waste a draw on getting that effect, you already got a counterspell, (Hard versus commanders because no one's going to let themselves get tucked with a wheel showing, decent psuedo versus everything else) a 1-for-1(-ish) trade, out of the draw.

It's hardly Wizards' gift to EDH. Would I ever run either half alone? Fuck no. Am I going to run it? Fuck no, Aftermath is eye cancer bad enough that I don't really care what the rules text is anymore But it can certainly find a home somewhere.

It's really not though.

Chaos Warp is for combo pieces that you were going to have to answer or you would lose the game.

This is like a shitty "everybody loses out" Remand, which puts you two behind any other players in the game.

>Chaos Warp is for combo pieces that you were going to have to answer or you would lose the game

I have literally lost by doing this though. They can flip the same card you target, or a card that fulfills the same purpose in the combo. That's impossible here, you never waste your mana giving them back the same thing.

>This is like a shitty "everybody loses out" Remand, which puts you two behind any other players in the game

You are aware you just described all spot removal right?

>This is like a shitty "everybody loses out" Remand, which puts you two behind any other players in the game.
You mean like practically every source of spot removal in the game?

I need your help, guys
I want to build a control deck with Kraum and Ishai. Are they good beaters? What wincon should I run?

ishkanah

there's also nath if you like card advantage and all the spiders are 2spooky

Liliana, Death's Majesty stands out at the moment since it could replace my Liliana, the Last Hope.

>Calling out "Commit is Remand" fag

The best part is that Commit is actually way better than remand because they actually go a card down while remand puts them at +0 cards and -mana only.

corrupted conscience
grafted exoskeleton
multiple combat phases
comet storm
land destruction

It's a multiplayer game and you're 1-for-1ing an opponent, Remand is very close to being strictly better.

At least earlier you were arguing you never needed to cast Memory, now it's a required part of this 10 mana combo disruption?

>Chaos Warp could flip into the same card
Yeah it could also flip into not that card 80/81 times.

Not the same guy, but Remand is good because it cantrips meaning even if your opponent's at +0 cards, so are you. It's purely for tempo.

Commit is more like a Vanishment combined with a Memory Lapse, except it also:
>tucks one card deeper
>ignores "can't be countered"
>has a Time Reversal slapped onto its ass

I never said memory was required though?

Color me retarded, I forgot the cantrip on Remand.

what are the best draw spells in blue?

Deep Analysis
Stroke of Genius
Consecrated Sphinx
Dig Through Time
Treasure Cruise
Rhystic Study (depends on how competent your group is)

Honorable Mentions:
Mulldrifter (flicker or reanimation shenanigens)
Opportunity
Blue Sun's Zenith

phyrexian arena

What's your opinion on Foresee?

Foremana.

Among the piles of shit stands at least one good commander, it's Hazoret. Hear me out, red can definitely do mono red equipment, and artifact reanimator at the same time if you're savvy. Voltron focus on Hazoret, and plays of swapping a sword out for Steel Hellkite. You got them options.

Playing to a red reanimator minimizes the sweat from her cost, and that small amount of burn definitely adds up. In an esoteric way, you could almost see it as a +2/+0 to Hazoret, that hits whether she does or not. It'll all be fun trust me

I like your enthusiasm but your commander is shit.

Nah brah, it'll be fine. I don't mean to say it's gonna be Karador or anything, but it'll certainly work and win.

Mono Red has like five total reanimation cards ffs, i don't know know why you think there's a deck here.

Foresee is pretty okay-ish. Literally unplayable garbage in stron meta but playable in low power

Because of Daretti decks exist

What are the best stax pieces in monogreen that synergize well with mana dorks? I already have ritual of subdual and winter orb, and I'm thinking of null rod.

Also, should I run any cultivate-style ramp in a deck with a critical mass of mana dorks? I'm building Seton.

A source of repeatable reanimation in the command zone is entirely different from five cards in no tutors no card draw, the color.

Root Maze

Maybe just the three drop ones, is it Seton combo?

Null Rod is good. Ritual of Subdual is ok. the whole tax/tap package (Winter Orb, Static Orb, Sphere of Resistance, Thorn of Amethyst, Trinisphere, etc.) still works fine. Smokestack itself of course. I for one like Freyalise's Winds if you've got a Patron of the Orochi or something to break the symmetry. Even if you don't it's surprisingly OK

I'd forgotten completely about smokestack, thanks.
Root maze is a little to small as an effect I think.
And it depends, I have plenty of ways to make infinite mana and a bunch of ways to make infinite draw, and most of my wins are probably gonna consist of either craterhoof, kamahl, helix pinnacle or gilt-leaf archdruid, I assume that counts as combo. I'm not gonna load up on tutors though, my playgroup isn't a fan of too many tutors.

Don't forget about Druid's Repository.
Sure it isn't card draw, but the metric fuckton of mana it'll generate speaks for itself.

Seton combo involves chaining Glimpse effects and drawing your deck.

I think you're underestimating Root Maze.

Yes, but the deck is only bringing a small amount in conjunction with equipment. We don't need repeatable, we only need the 7 or so options in the mix.

Yeah, that's basically my gameplan. I call it druidstorm though.

And I don't know, I'll try root maze out but I'm not sure if a 1 turn delay on lands and artifacts is worth it.

the only playable-as-commander god is Kefnet. He's still shit, because there's 'infinite mana: win game' commanders in multiple colors which makes them better.

not him, but Hazoret's unique. Low-tier, but she's got a couple routes to dealing with her condition and capitalizing on the payoff. wants voltron, I'd like to see a kind of "Wipe and murder" plan with Devastating Dreams and a shitton of madness and ramp to kick people out of the game. I don't know that the cards exist to make a full deck out of it when she doesn't include Black, but I'd love to poke at it.

Rhonas, Bontu, and Oketra inspire nothing.

Nothing at all. I'm devastated that Oketra doesn't at least make cats for some use with Raksha or Royal Caracle. For shame.

Since there were originally 8 gods and 3 are missing, on top of the fact that the gods are going to play s big part in the next set too, can't we expect to seenat least 3 more, if not multicolored versions of the ones we have? Like the Dragonlords of Tarkir situation.

They just turned Ajani green white again for standard. And wrapped him up into the story. Ajani and GW Oketra making cats and fighting against the liar God Bolas? Or like Blue Black, Bontu of the Luxa. Incorporate some blue with the croc aspect. The Anubis inspired one will finally have black in her.

I also want to point out they printed a whole ton of mana fixing artifacts and all those awful, but multi colored, aftermath spells

They're probably dead, Jim.