Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Why don't your characters use reach weapons very often? Tell us about the ones who do.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/zUGVAmbf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Why don't your characters use reach weapons very often?
Reach weapons are two-handed and I like to play casters. If I'm not though then I use polearms..

My current app is using TWO reach weapons.

Which begs the following question, since Fiend Grip has the reach feature, does that mean I can't use it in melee?

It says that you can attack and threaten adjacent enemies with it in the description.

How should I prioritize my ability scores as a PoW warlord? As a human with 20 pb I feel like I'm ending up a little imbalanced, is 16 good enough for str/cha if I'm using a two-hander?

15+2 STR 10 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 8 WIS 16 CHA
Switching strength to 14+2 and Wis to 10 does the trick too, although it's sometimes a matter of preference.

If you play a vigilante is it assumed the other PC's know his secret identity?

Alright, that's about what I had, thanks. For some reason it never occurs to me to go for a 17 or a 19 at chargen, I guess my autism flares up when I see uneven numbers on my sheet.

That's up to the individual player and the GM.

Welcome to why reason #1 vigilante is a shit class conceptually.

The answer is "talk with your group".

Perhaps not at first, but it's safe to assume after a couple of episodes he revealed who he is to his partners. Or you could get rid of all doubt and just have your vigilante reveal his identity in the first episode.

Starfinder is coming! The details of the Iconics have already been listed, alongside details on the setting and crunch!

Tell me all about the characters you want to play, the races you want to construct, the governments and corporations you want to found!

More Information Here:

I want to play a paladin equipped with enchanted power armor and wielding a holy plasma cannon.

Interested in exactly none of the classes except the mechanics and that's only to port back into Pathfinder.

I meant the Mechanic as in the class, obviously.Oh and rules for usable power armor and tech stuff. Everything else about the setting I can care less about.

>Everything else about the setting I can care less about.

But user, it's got quirky rats and gender politics!

Why don't you want those?

I hate ratfolk/most animal races. I don't really see any gender politics aside from /pol/ anons screeching about LGBQWTFBBQ and brown people again.

What animal races do you not hate?

Where would a switch-hitter carry a polearm like a berdiche, guisarme, or a halberd? What about in the middle of combat?

Lizardfolk, Vanara, and Tengu.

Is there a DSP Lamia class? Does it gestalt well with Oracle?

Don't assume my weapon qualities, user!

There is a Lamia Commoner homebrew race, which is is a snek.

Who needs a reach weapon when I can fucking nuke anything within a thousand feet of me.

I dunno, Solarion has potential to be a cool aegis+soulknife combo.

Holy shit! Is this a motherfucking JOJO REFERENCE?!

Eh, don't really care for the drawing on Starstuff stuff and if it gets spells it's going to be vancian shit. It took DSP two tries to get the soul-knife right, I don't have hope for Paizo.

Well it's an image taken from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. So yes?

Im not sure that will keep up in Overlewd. Isn't it considered pretty weak mechanically?

Hey guys. It's Wednesday. Blingmaker apps have closed, and the culling begins.

First, GMs are unlikely to pick PCs that are going to give them a ton of trouble.
Second, GESTALT. You can get powerful without too much work.

hell if I know, I never looked at it before, I just know it was a thing

Good luck to everyone!

>tfw Overlewd closes this dark,dark era will finally come to an end.

DM is waiting until sunday to review, and picks will come out on monday/tuesday

What's the point? Nugget Man was withdrawn and everyone else is poop.

>Nugget Man was withdrawn
What? Why? When? You better not be flimflaming me!

There will be another...
And another...
And another, still...

DHB realized he was already stuffed with games, and decided to bow out rather than run the risk of getting in.

I see his app now. Damn. That's disheartening.

>Withdrawing application due to time constraints.

I'll pour a shot out for him. You were too beautiful for this world, lil' nuggie.

Thats what they said about PLD

>There will be another...
There may be one more since one guy asked about interest in saving dragons. After that. We're fucking done.

Horizon game
FE game
Holy Grail War game

Hopefully the GM will bring him back in as an NPC, or let someone take him as a cohort/follower. Just some guy who hangs out around the castle/village and hawks his wares.

Our very own Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler!

Good riddance.

I don't know what those first two are and I don't think HGW is open app or happening at all.

Personally, I would drop a current game I'm in to have a good Druma campaign.

I grew up here on Tales of an Industrious Rogue, and I mean to follow in those footsteps.

>Horzine game
How hard would it be to translate Killing Floor to PF?

Why are you so interested in kicking out the games

Well, for one thing, you'd need to raise WBL to properly reflect the DOSH.

I'm sick of all the circle jerking, salt, namefag worshipping, etc.

user, it's no coincidence that the threads have been at the most normal they've ever been right at the time one game's winding down and another's sinking under the radar.

If it seemed like a viable option to make some cash in your downtime, would your character become a gigolo or breeding stud?
Surely a hero of your PC's caliber would be quite popular, especially if they had some powerful or heroic traits to pass on.

I mean I hate that stuff too but I kind of like the games

Depends on the app, honestly. I have ones who'd be all "You want to give me money to let me fuck you? OH BALLS YES!" to "Don't touch me you filthy casual."

>Why don't your characters use reach weapons very often? Tell us about the ones who do.
I actually homebrewed a system for making reach weapons more effective. I'd love to get opinions on it:
pastebin.com/zUGVAmbf

So I'm getting my thoughts in order as I prepare to set in on finishing the Unchained Wizard. I'll detail here all their class features:
>BaB/Saves
Unchanged

>Proficiencies
Unchanged except that a wizard automatically gains proficiency in a weapon he has as a bonded object.

>Arcane Breakthrough
This replaces Arcane Discoveries and is put into two main categories being Legendary Spells and Arcane Discoveries. Legendary Spells are spell removed from the normal spell list and essentially put behind a wall of specialization (such as requiring feats). Arcane Breakthroughs are received at 1st level, 2nd level, and every 2 levels there after. The goal of Arcane Breakthroughs is to force wizards to specialize so that "Illusionist" and "Diviner" actually mean something. Many Arcane Discoveries have been moved over as talents, but not all have translated due to them being weak/limited in scope.

The other goal is to limited the access to game warping spells, such as Teleport. Other spells have been removed entirely, such as Blood Money, and rebalanced as a weaker version for a Legendary Spell.

>Bonded Object
Replacing Arcane Bond with Familiar being moved to a Arcane Breakthrough as the Arcane Discovery "Summon Familiar" (meaning you can spend a talent to get a familiar to have both). Bonded object has changed in a few ways to now be any of the following one handed weapon (automatically gaining proficiency with said weapon), staff, rod, wand, amulet, ring, mask, piercing.

(1/2)

He's a shabby looking, charisma 8 hungry skeleton. If some random chick tried that he'd probably think it's some kind of trick.

He's also not a hero by any stretch of the imagination. He's still firmly in the "scrub" range.

>Scribe Scroll
Unchanged, they still just get scribe scroll as a bonus feat.

>Bonus Feats
Removed and replaced with the Arcane Breakthroughs.

>Arcane Energy
A pool of points equal to the wizard's level + his intelligence modifier, refilling each day along with spell slots. This pool is spent on the following things Preparing Legendary Spells, Preparing Spells from Opposition Schools, Empowering School Powers.

>Arcane School
Changed so that a wizard gains more school powers. Universalist has been removed. At 1st level there are three school powers to choose from, the wizard gaining 2, at 3rd level there are three powers to choose from, the wizard gaining 1 (and able to choose the remaining 1st level power if he so chooses), two more powers becoming available at 7th level, the wizard gaining an additional 1, and a capstone power available at 13th level, the wizard gaining one more. Meaning at 13th level a wizard now has 4 total school powers. An Arcane Discovery to gain an additional school power has also been added.

Using Arcane Energy a wizard can empower a school power in order to push his equivalent level when using it higher by an amount based on the Arcane Energy spent.

As well one's choice of Arcane School also is more costly. When a wizard chooses his school he chooses two banned schools and two opposition schools. One can upgrade a banned school to an opposition and an opposition to a primary through an Arcane breakthrough, much as Opposition Research now exists.

(2/???)

They're sweet, aye, but it's impossible to control the volume. I'd rather have the occasional greentext than the thread blown open with constant cuteposting.

>Goal of Unchained Wizard
Overall the goal of the Unchained Wizard is to make specialization as a wizard have meaning. In the Unchained Wizard to get the highest end iconic spells, such as Teleport, Create Demi-plane, Phantasmal Killer, Contact Other Plane, a wizard is forced to specialize in that school spending their Arcane breakthroughs on them. This means sacrificing generalization in not upgrading their banned and opposition schools. As well this means he can't simply grab the high end spells of everything, as each are behind prerequisites (such as Teleport being required for Greater Teleport, and Teleport requiring Spell Focus (Conjuration)). Their limited resources forces a choice and emphasized the differences between a Transmuter and a Diviner.

(3/3)

Create Demiplane really isn't that broken, considering the need for Permanancy for EVERY single enlargement and the fact that you really can't pull much off with Create Demiplane to significantly affect the plot.

I'd only accept nobility, so I can corrupt as many bloodlines of importance as possible.

>Spell Slots
Dropped.
Though out of curiosity. What are the Legendary Spells for not so powerful schools like say Evocation or Necromancy?

What kind of scenario are you talking about? The mighty hero breeding the tribal princess is a fairly common trope, and one I'd be down to do, but a local count suggesting you get busy with a writ that allows "marriage" with as many women as you can handle seems... Sleazy.

Wait, you just said we're getting paid for this, so just what the hell are you suggesting?

I just like watching reviewanons do their thing, desu

Probably something like a boosted PWK.

>spell slots
Just get rid of the slots and make them semispontaneous casters (meaning get rid of sorcerer, who the hell actually players Sorcs anyway) if you're going to make arcane energy a thing.
As it stands a level 1 Wizard with 20 INT can prepare as many opposition spells as he has spells in total which makes it pointless.

I do too, but a tenth of a fun thread does not justify the rest of it being vapid posting about underwear and which girl has the best butt It's Lameeka, obviously.

It's only the memegames that generate unreasonably huge amounts of discussion, most of which is still centered around older games like RotJR. Even without new games, RotJR will still be memed to no end.

Games like Shardwalkers create sparse, civil discussion and thus are positive influences.

I'm assuming it's less local count giving you free reign and more like the local countess saying "You know, me and my daughter could use a good, strong father to give the next generation of our house some advantages..."

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong but is this just a straight nerf?

That doesn't make sense. Unless you're dragonkin or a sorcerer or something your kid doesn't get any of your PC powers, and laying with some random hobo adventurer when unmarried would damage their political prestige so much (a countess IS a major noble, second only to dukes and kings) that any +1 STR would hardly be worth it. Marrying one makes even less sense unless they did some level 15 shit, and even then, it wouldn't be 'working as a gigolo'.

I've read that hentai user, you can't trick me

Legendary Spells are not only campaign warping but also iconic spells.

>Though out of curiosity. What are the Legendary Spells for not so powerful schools like say Evocation or Necromancy?
Necromancy has a few examples off the top of my head like Animate Dead and Speak with Dead. Restore Corpse, Sculpt Corpse, and Decompose Corpse were combined into a single one for their 1st level Legendary Spell.

Evocation's the hardest and has to go through some upgrades in order to make them on par with other Legendary Spells, it has two 1st level ones, a beefed up Floating Disk and Magic Missile. Others include Contact Entity, Explosive Runes, and Sending.

>As it stands a level 1 Wizard with 20 INT can prepare as many opposition spells as he has spells in total which makes it pointless.
The Arcane Energy scales worse than levels, a wizard will feel he has the most at level 1 but spell slots grow in number much faster than one's level. Personally I am ok with at 1st level wizards being at their most general before they start pushing into high end things.

A 5th level 22 Int wizard will have 11 spell slots a number of Legendary Spells (3 if he spent all his Breakthroughs on them or more if he spent feats to get more Breakthroughs). Meaning he has to make a decision between prepping Legendary Spells, Opposition Spells, or having enough to empower School Powers.

I guarantee memeposting about RotJR will draw to a close around the same time all the meme topics actually get concluded in the campaign.

Seht and Onryou fucking, Valeriya getting busy with Casimir, there's some others but if I recall they're RotRL specific.

Yes, it is essentially nerfs across the board.

It doesn't seem like any game but RotJR even stays topical after closing.

>animate dead
>Legendary
u wot

I'm actually assuming that memeposting will continue, but the game won't.

I mean, after all--the players are only in it for the memes, so they're going to get bored and flake off once they've cemented a reputation as "that celeb-PC who banged that other celeb-PC".

>implying

I'd rather have a tenth of a fun thread than a whole thread of nothing but empty, vapid bitching about "old pfg was better" and "reeeee animeposter/dueling threadposter"

Countess wouldn't do something like that. Tribal chieftain? You can convince me. But a Countess has a duty to her name as much as her lineage, and ruining that by having a bastard won't end well for anyone.

This is just saying you need to get a bit more primal with the people who want a hero's seed. Go for barbarian women, that's a classic.

Don't forget Overlewd which unironically has my favorite /pfg/ app ever

>Legendary Spells are not only campaign warping but also iconic spells.

This seems strange to me, and reads essentially as 'you have to choose between casting fun spells and casting powerful spells'.
Can you elaborate?

I'm also not sold on Spell Focus as a feat tax. I would prefer abilities that feel meaningful to get even if they might not have a big mechanical impact (such as cantrip equivalents).
Consider folding in a bonus themed cantrip into each Spell Focus feat?

DHB hates Wizards

But that means I have to spend what amounts to a feat to do things that aren't even actually powerful enough to warrant being locked behind a feat, it's fighter's feat tax all over again - there's plenty of cool shit but there's just things you actually need to have to be effective.

I could see it working and it actually sounds like a decent fix all around with some fine tuning of numbers and so on, but it faces the same problem every other fix of this type does in that why would someone bother with all this work instead of just playing a different game?

If Starfinder is just the Pathfinder rules refluffed then it deserves to fail.

>I mean, after all--the players are only in it for the memes, so they're going to get bored and flake off once they've cemented a reputation as "that celeb-PC who banged that other celeb-PC".

[Citation Needed]

>things that aren't even actually powerful enough to warrant being locked behind a feat
I mean, I think his necromancy example might be bad, but something like teleport is absolutely powerful enough to warrent being locked behind a feat.

>stupidly enormous reach weapons

top kek

Celebrity always goes to your head, user.
I don't give a shit what they're saying to each other, it always ends the same way. Someone gets offended, or someone's ego gets too big, or someone gets designated as the team bitch and decides they're sick of it.

In the end, they'll break up before they hit Jade Regent's second book, third at the outside. And if it's not like that, it's going to just degenerate into "comfy" bullshit.

I'm not disputing Teleportation, I'm not even disputing Create Demiplane since that's at least flavor-wise basically Wish tier.
I'm trying to figure out how a buffed version of Tenser's Floating Disk can POSSIBLY deserve a feat.

I would consider Animate Dead as a spell that often changes campaigns with its usage.

I did not phrase myself correctly. Iconic spell that are not on par with other Legendary Spells would not be kept as they are. An example being Magic Missile. It is not on par with other 1st level Legendary Spells and thus would receive an upgrade.

Many Evocation spells are receiving this treatment.

So to speak to concerns on the feat tax I have also considered the following:
>Spell prerequisites
Essentially in order to get Teleport you need to already know Dimension Door. Remove feats as prerequisites and make them spell prerequisites instead.

The same reason any of us play pathfinder.

To speak to things you need to be effective. I think Legendary Spells should be a mixture of effective and cool. 1st level Legendary Spells are for the most part underwhelming because they're 1st level.

An example of a 2nd level Legendary Spell is Invisibility, a spell that is EXTREMELY powerful due to how it will often put you above someone who has invested skill points in stealth/point buy in dexterity, something with a higher opportunity cost than a talent equivalent.

>Valeriya getting busy with Casimir
This one already happened, user, and we just moved on to shipping Val with Sandru and Cas with loneliness.

>I'm trying to figure out how a buffed version of Tenser's Floating Disk can POSSIBLY deserve a feat.
The issue is the 1st level Legendary Spells are for the most part pretty Underwhelming.

I have considered not making any 1st level spell Legendary, which would mean a wizard would be free to spend their 1st and 2nd level Breakthroughs on things like Opposition Research, Summon Familiar, Extra School Power, a ported over Arcane Discovery, etc.

So you're a filthy weeb AND a furry, but don't have the decency to fuck with fox waifus.

You disgust me.

I like those races partially because everyone is clamoring to fuck them outside the hot monkey dick memes.

This dark era of people who are not you getting into games?

Because the shitposting will never stop.

The thing is that Legendary Spells, the way you're describing them, are more like capstone abilities. Greater Teleportation is THE most powerful movement spell short of Plane Shift which nobody uses. Create Demiplane is a hair short of divine territory. Invisibility combined with a silencing spell of some sort completely invalidates stealth builds short of an AMF. Prismatic Wall is an extremely powerful barrier. Explosive Runes are potent in every use you can think of for them.
Tenser's Floating Disk+ just...doesn't work as a capstone. Anyone who takes it as a Legendary spell is ramming himself in the ass.

ISN'T GLAMORING to fuck them outside of the hot monkey dick memes.