Haven't posted on Veeky Forums for a couple of years, but I want to pick your minds about something

Haven't posted on Veeky Forums for a couple of years, but I want to pick your minds about something.

Recently in anime and light novels (the Japanese equivalent of teen and young adult fiction) there has been a trend of series about a protagonist being reincarnated or transported into a fantasy world. While the results of this "genre" are very mixed, I believe that he core concept is something that's actually more suited to tabletop RPGs than anime, manga or light novels especially when the new world the characters are being transported to is a homebrew setting as the characters knowledge of the setting (or lack thereof) aligns perfectly with that of the players.

That said I'm curious: has anyone her ever run or played in a game that featured modern day characters transported into a fantasy world and how did it turn out?

I think the genre/style/whatever it called "itekai" or something. The basic idea is as old as dirt, with predecessors probably including things like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". The original Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, for that matter, is also basically in this style. As far as Japan is concerned, the .hack// series is probably the granddaddy of the "genre" - after you've done stories about people trapped in a video game, it's not that big a step to move on to people trapped in a fantasy world.

For my own part, I'm not a big fan.

Isekai, desu. To not be weeb, it's called Two World or Dual World fantasy in western lit.

"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is probably the literal founder of the genre. Japan's media gets influenced by the rest of the world just the same as everything else. Manga was directly inspired by American comic books, and Anime was directly inspired by the works of Walt Disney.

I have thought about running something like that, but I feel like that would encourage my group to metagame even more than they already do, which would be an issue.

I thought this was one of the big ways to get normies into the whole rp thing anyways, basically just sit down and free form a "role playing experience" for them, besides its literary history there's that aspect of it to?

I'm familiar with the genre, I just included an explanation in the OP for anyone who might not be.

>I feel like that would encourage my group to metagame even more than they already do, which would be an issue.
You could go the extra step and have them play themselves as characters, but I can see how that could get awkward in a lot of ways.

thats how I got into role playing anyway, a group of friends just sat down and did the "you find yourself in a tavern, what do." which was pretty fun (although now probably pretty cliche)

I remember back before I used Veeky Forums I found a tumblr where someone was making a homebrew setting with modern day folks magically transported in. I distinctly remember one of the examples was a Cop that still had some of his police gear.

>You could go the extra step and have them play themselves as characters

None of my players have stats above 12, MAYBE swinging a 14 in Intelligence for some of them if you use the old standby of "Intelligence = MENSA IQ with the last digit chopped off". Two are overweight, and one of those has Asperger's; one is thin as a stick has a host of issues (including a nearly useless right arm and the occasional seizure) from a bad accident involving an overturned lawnmower when he was younger (he's been dealing with it for a decade now, only just finished getting surgery last week to fix what happened to his skull); and the most physically fit of my players, while not over- or underweight and reasonably strong (MAYBE a 12 Strength), suffers from asthma (albeit according to him it's the kind of asthma you could self-cure with rigorous exercise a la Teddy Roosevelt, if he were the sort to rigorously exercise, which he is not).

In the interest of fairness, I am myself overweight and can at most claim a 12 Intelligence myself as likely my highest stat.

The point is...having my players play themselves in a fantasy world is basically synonymous with me saying "I want to kill you in as amusingly gruesome a way as possible."

In the west that is called LitRPG and is cringe inducing as shit

>recently
it's a trope from the 80s at least. AT LEAST.
and it sucked 30 years ago, it's not going to make for a good game now. the genre calls for too many 4th wall breaks, or call it metagaming.

>While the results of this "genre" are very mixed
99% of it is absoloute shit. The main characters either get unironicaly so imba powers that nothing poses any threat, world building gets trown out of the window in favor of RPG mechanics even when the rest has nothing to do with it, it gets absoloutly jap wanking when the inhabitants go crazy over whatever little thing the mc introduces from Japan like one dish that suddenly everyone in the entire kingdom loves forever, or he becomes a full blown dense harem mc. Usually all of them together.
Two nukes were not enough for all the shit they are putting out.

Sounds like an average rpg desu

For ayone wanting a good other world read check out this book series

I want to have fantasy murderhobos transported into Shadowrun, or Shadowrunners dumped into a fantasy setting so they can murderhobo.

I kinda want to do this with a world of darkness/ hunter game. Just brutally murder my friends with vampire and werewolves.

Fine, too.

I've heard that there's (or used to. quite recently) an absolute shitload of this genre in Russian fantasy, can anyone confirm and maybe recommend some better ones?

I like Overlord.
I've thought about stealing some of it's world building ideas for a D&D campaign too. I don't think it'd be too hard to localize at least a few concept or themes to a PnP RPG since the "MMO" part of Overlord was basically just roll20 3.5 in VR with every dev/DM being both That and This Guy simultaneously.

Pic related is supposed to be good, but I can't read russian so I don't know. I just saved a few book covers because they look so cheeki

Looks hilarious, also trips. Worth a check.

>I watched Overlord and heard about SAO so I'm an expert, the post

you tried

Last one I have

>muh isekai!
Isekai in its current form is fucking awful.

You know what is a good isekai story, though? That's right, Alice in the Wonderland - it's a prime example of a good isekai literature that properly explores the "fish out of water" aspect AND builds an interesting world AND actually makes an interesting narrative AND has a lot more layers to it than meets the eye.

In general, the whole "modern values and technology into the fantasy setting" schtick is overplayed.
Personally, I'd like to see the reverse - imagine a knight being brought into the modern world - hell, imagine a low-level Paladin being brought into our world. He is woefully unprepared, he is separated from his deity so he lost his access to magic, and he has to adapt with the fact that he can't just simply be a smitebot and has to integrate with the modern society somehow, and yet he still has to struggle to remain the last bastion of morality in the world full of shit.
Now that's what I call isekai.

In general, the problem with most Japanese isekai literature is that they feature "a normal hero in abnormal circumstances" or basically, an escapistic self-insert in a fantasy realm.
If you want a good isekai plot, either do "an abnormal hero in abnormal circumstances", or "an abnormal hero in normal circumstances" - people whose morality and worldview are vastly different, maybe even alien to ours. You can't ride out your plot simply on "normal" interactions with the world you ended up in, just like you can't ride it out by adapting everything to the modern values.
In that aspect, most of the isekai stories are fucking shit - and yes, that includes Overlord.

There has to be a values dissonance for an isekai story to be interesting, just like Alice was lost in the Wonderland and was incapable to make heads or tails of it.

You know what else is a good "isekai"?
That's right, Brave New World. Do I have to explain why or should I leave this mental exercise to the viewers at home?

>Recently
t. weeb who literally just started watching things above entry-level

All these books are probably discussed in BOTTOM thread of russian imageboard.
A thread for the books to avoid at all costs.

If you know any good LNs then let me know, otherwise fuck off without making any point of your own.
Best thing I ever found was about a salary man who became bureaucrat king by doing smart fiscal reforms and giving out agrar subsidies. Sadly it takes a bda turn and embraces all the bad shit I talked in my other post

...is that Hitler? That looks like Hitler.

>instead of actually responding to the OP question, decide to waste time to write paragraphs talking about anime and how it's terrible

nobody cares about your tastes faggot.
When you read the OP was all that went into your head "Hey /a/ tell me what you think about modern isekiai" or something?

At least you could have put some actual effort into your post and said "also it does/doesn't make for a good tabletop RPG idea"

>At least you could have put some actual effort into your post and said "also it does/doesn't make for a good tabletop RPG idea"
If you start a shit thread, expect shit responses. You reap what you sow.

>the name of the book is Comrade Hitler
Gee whiz, user, I dunno.

How is it a shit thread?
OP didn't literally ask what is your opinion on anime

it said "there's a trend in anime, do you think it would work for RPG"?
There are plenty of threads like this that don't instantly turn into "here's my opinion on this genre of anime, I don't care that this isn't /a/ and that no one in the thread actually asked for opinions on anime".

>here's my opinion on this genre of anime
More like "here's my opinion on this genre", period. Or do you think it to be specific to a particular medium or something?

When your OP post asks "What's a good system to run cyberpunk?", you shouldn't complain when someone goes in and starts to discuss cyberpunk proper.

>A thread diddn't turn out as I wanted it to.
Go cry somewhere else newfag

Nah.
The posts I quoted specifically talked about anime m8
If they were talking about the literary merits of a yankee in kings arthur court sure you'd have a point.

>Why are you pointing out my shitposting? STOP IT

>shit thread
Is it really that bad? I got out of Veeky Forums about a year and a half ago at which point this would've been perfectly acceptable even if it's no liches rap battle or anything.

>"fish out of water" aspect
That's kind of what I meant by player knowledge aligning with character knowledge. This'd only work with a homebrew setting, but it could give a healthy sense of exploration.

Obviously if I were to run a game like this it'd be only cordial to let players know the premise in advance which however might lead to some metagaming as someone pointed out earlier by people making their characters John Rambo instead of say Frank the IT guy whose adventures in medieval fantasyland would probably be a lot more interesting simple due to not having a convenient skillset.

>Is it really that bad?
nah, some fags just get triggered by people wanting to discuss something they don't like

> The posts I quoted specifically talked about anime m8
>the post discusses Alice in Woderland and Brave New World and talks about Japanese LITERATURE
wew lad

>Changed discussion toppic equals shitpost

I want an anime about a Western TTRPG group's player characters (mostly murderhobos) gaining sentience and being transported into a typical isekai anime-RPG world.

>changing discussion topic on Veeky Forums to discussing anime isn't shitposting

the focus of the post is clearly on how "anime is doing it wrong" m8

Closest thing I can think of is a web novel about some middle aged Japanese salaryman being transported into a fantasy world as his D&D character who's a level 36 wizard with vancian casting and everything. It was a surprisingly good read as far as these series go.

>the focus of the post is clearly on how "anime is doing it wrong" m8

>user: "the new Ghost in Shell movie isn't really a good cyberpunk, I preferred it how it was written in Snow Crash"
>You: "YOU CHANGED THE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION FROM CYBERPUNK TO BOOKS, HOW COULD YOU"

It's not. But even then it was still about a genre and a setting. Something that is still Veeky Forums related. It could have easily evolved in Veeky Forums comming up with a much better story if the tread would have been undisturbed

your opinions on non-Veeky Forums stuff are not-Veeky Forums related

>Stalin in fantasy world
wew

And your opinion belongs in yet we still tolerate you here.

I didn't post any opinions here
but feel free to go post about how much you hate/like anime/literature genre on /a/ or Veeky Forums

Yeah, because I took valuable time out of my life to learn friggin' Russian.

I only speak two languages: English and Bad English.

user, anything slightly related to any kind of setting is of use for Veeky Forums for we can always play with that. Medium is secoundary

>not knowing at least two or three foreign languages
Enjoy struggling with employment.

My main DM runs an isekai 5e game based on the novel/manga/anime Grimgar. It's been pretty fun so far. I've got a load of stories based on our adventures.

That's exactly what I was looking for, please share.

you should at least attempt to make your posts Veeky Forums related, by talking bout how it relates to rpg or something

just dumping a paragraph on how much you hate isekai isn't related
specially when it's obvious. Why do you feel the need to tell people that like it's the most insightful thing ever

It's like you don't even know how Veeky Forums works. If you don't like a specific post then just skip it

Bullshit
if you don't like a post you give it as many (you)s as possible

To preface it, the DM recruited from /a/ when Grimgar was airing because he liked the concept of the show and to introduce newbies into the medium of tabletop. It filled up so fast he had to make two groups, one filled with 7 people originally and the latter with only 5. I was in the second group. I'll try my best to remember exact details, since it started like two years ago?

>original group had already played an introduction session, so DM decided to retcon the second party in the background
>our party consisted of a cool headed bard girl, an afro-toting sorcerer, a chill rogue, an elf we had shoehorned into being a cleric(and a trap) and my character, the lovable chuuni as fuck fighter with 8 int.
>because our characters seemed less professional than the first group, we were dubbed as the reject 5 because the former group ditched us instead of risking it
>after a timeskip of a week of training to get our "jobs" we were finally ready to pick a quest from the quest board
>first quest: "What is making those sounds?!" from an old scholarly wizard in what I imagined as a run down house near a windmill
>turns out there are voices and sounds echoing in his halls at night, thinks either ghosts or robbers coming in
>my character was afraid of ghosts, mostly related to the fact he can't hit them with his sword
>doesn't stop me from being the loudest and most audacious character in the group, which leads the other 4 of the reject 5 to initially reject my character because he was too weird
>we stay the night at the wizard's house, chit-chatting about how we lost our memories and we feel like we aren't from this world

Still interested?

Ehh, that's not the worst examples. In fact they are very far from the worst of them. Very far.

Depending on how the transportation is done and what kind of system it is I would love to see it.
Sadly I fear this kind of campaign would attract all kinds of wrong people seeing as the trope has a stereotype with PC's becoming stupidly overpowered, and general powerwanking.
The setting, systems and campaign would have to be built/marketed around avoiding the things that make so many of these stories go to shit. And as with any roleplay you would have to be careful with who you choose to play with.

I have tried reading several of these and I fully agree with others in saying that the majority of them are sub-par, or straight up awful. There are some good and a few really enjoyable ones but then again not all of those stories would work as campaigns.
I love Overlord but I'm not sure it would work as a campaign with other people at all. An Overlord inspired campaign might be about PC's being expected to run a city/empire because of their skills or some misunderstanding caused by them being from another world.
People look at Overlord and expect to read a power-fantasy and then fail to realize that it's a dark fantasy "sword of damocles" story with tons of world building and misunderstandings.

I guess I think you would have to come up with a good plan for a campaign for this to work out. But it could be awesome.

In America? In Massachusetts, specifically? Hardly. I work at a movie theater that regularly shows movies in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, and Punjabi. And the recurring element among all the people who come to see these movies is that they either speak better English than I do, or else have the good sense to come with a friend who speaks better English than I do.

>The point is...having my players play themselves in a fantasy world is basically synonymous with me saying "I want to kill you in as amusingly gruesome a way as possible."
You should ask them, they might find it fun for a 1 shot.

I think these examples are pretty bad but there are some books people don't even talk about. In fact many people have gone through lobotomy just to forget that some of these books exist. Though their hopes were mostly futile.

alice was just a kid and managed just fine

Alice was a novel character protected by author fiat; my players in this case would be RPG characters protected by nothing save luck and their thoroughly lackluster stats.

And with people you mean russians right? Sadly I haven't seen any translations anywhere

>start a PF campaign
>halfway through, the party is transported/reincarnated into a different universe
>the new universe runs on GURPS
:^)

are you throwing tarrasques are level 1 parties?
No? Then why would you assume that you will instantly murder your buddies as soon as it starts?

Sadly?

You need to pray to all the gods that you could remember that they never get translations. I love reading. Hell, I still have around 4 hundred physical books. And even I will say - burn these things. Burn them all. To ash. And then bury what is left under concrete sarcophagus preferably at least 100 meters underground.

>You could go the extra step and have them play themselves as characters, but I can see how that could get awkward in a lot of ways.
That's the premise of those Fantasy Flight "End of the world" RPGs. Your stats are decided by the other players by committee, and you're cast into a zombie apocalypse or whatever.

They're not very good games though

Do they have any special name or genre so I may NOTnot search them

Everybody love storytimes, friend.
Go on.

Should probably add on that us being from the real world didn't play any importance until a little later on. There was also a second campaign that started after we had a hiatus that plays a huge role in the isekai angle.

>after discussing how weird our circumstances have become, we decide to go into the basement because one of us got a decent perception roll and heard voices coming from down there
>My character, Vindr(pic related, girlfriend is a drawfag), although scared shitless of ghosts decides to take the front, with the trap elf casting light on him to calm him down a bit
>we get down there and find musty old tomes and old elixirs of unknown origin, the rogue obviously pilfering one of them inconspicuously
>after our sorcerer gets a good investigate roll, he finds tiny markings of rat feet and feces leading to a crevice behind a cabinet
>after moving the cabinet, we find a hole big enough for us to crawl through, and so we crawl
>as we continued to crawl, the voices shush and stop, and the tunnel begins sloping downward
>down into a nice big puddle of water!
>everyone fails their dex saves and end up tumbling down, drenching themselves in dirty water, yuck
>after collecting ourselves and getting out of the tunnel, we end up in a small cavern with rotting planks of wood and what appears to be an aqueduct of some sort
>ceiling is only tall enough for us to hunch over and move, and so we move forward
>as we get to the end of the room, following the broken planks of wood to a probable exit, we here the voices, this time directly near us
>"Get them!"
>we look around, frantically trying to find what is ambushing us, and as we look around in the dim light we see little bodies moving across the floor
>rats
>not just any sort of rat, talking rats!
>rats are normally not scary, but talking intelligent rats who can plot and ambush us while we're half-way hunched over with barely any room to pull our weapons?
>absolute true terror

LitRPG и 'Пoпaдaнцы'.

Also Rudazov / Pyдaзoв - this man is one of the unholy beasts that should be slain.

That's spooky bear.

Fucking top kek.
Though I hope you what you've just done by helping me find this

>Personally, I'd like to see the reverse - imagine a knight being brought into the modern world - hell, imagine a low-level Paladin being brought into our world. He is woefully unprepared, he is separated from his deity so he lost his access to magic, and he has to adapt with the fact that he can't just simply be a smitebot and has to integrate with the modern society somehow, and yet he still has to struggle to remain the last bastion of morality in the world full of shit.
Not quite what you're looking for, but give The Devil Is A Part-Timer a look.

Japan is just catching up to the USA

Appearently russians build their children playgrounds themselfs

We've already had this discussion in the previous thread, but Hataraku falls into the same pitfalls other isekai shows do. Also, it's a blatant comedy (or at least an attempt at it).

May god have mercy on what would be left of your soul.

Don't worry, the whole point of Isekai is that you become a living Marty Stu power wank fantasy with some kind of superpower that nobody in the entire world can match and a harem of beautiful women.

But things wouldn't be too much different for them.

If you put a 5e Cleric in Final Fantasy, how different would he be from a White Mage?

>needless to say, we were getting our asses kicked as we started at level 1
>did I mention our DM must've made a pact with the devil himself? He always rolls like a god
>half of us are dying, the other half can't hit anything because we're hunched over and fighting at disadvantage
>DM is merciless
>however, because Vindr had a decent strength score he ends up getting a few hits in, and because he has a special feat he abuses the fact he can cleave
>So imagine the scene playing out, with a bunch of newbies getting swarmed by talking rats, nipping and biting as they crawl around us, screaming and flailing wildly
>and then there's this guy, who is going on about how he's the chosen dark lord of the new world, waiting for his powers to grow so he may consume the land, swinging wildly hunched over and cleaving into swathes of rats
>the rats finally dispersed, running away in terror at this man killing their brethren
>needless to say my party granted me newfound respect as I had almost single handedly defended them
>we take a rest and continue forward, eventually walking our way into what appears to be a broken down decrepit sawmill, pipes and the like moving through it
>our sorcerer who I mentally imagine as some 70s looking disco mage strolls first, acting cocky, only to be jumped by the rats lying in wait
>they wrap rope around him and cause him to topple over, screaming and cussing to help him
>we have entered a domain we should not have, as a giant rat the size of a dog wearing a bone crown appears before us on the otherside of the room
>The Rat King! Egads! terrible and vicious, with the cunning of an intelligent child
>we fight as we venture forward, ignoring our poor sorcerer who threw caution to the wind
>I move forward first, only to be completely knocked down into unconsciousness by a surprise trap with the rats knocking bowling ball sized rocks onto my head
>the rogue is afraid to move, only pelting the rat king with his bow and arrow

>Appearently russians build their children playgrounds themselfs

Anyone know any isekai where the protagonist gets homesick and stays that way, to the point of possibly doing horrible things in an attempt to get home?

Pic (un)related(?)

>the trap elf(pic related) decides we need me, and rushes up ignoring the danger to himself, healing me up to 3 HP
>using my second wind feature on my turn, I get back up to near full HP
>Vindr is not happy at these turn of events, and while he has below average int, his wisdom is pretty decent
>the rats try and egg him on to move forward him, but as the bard got caught in a hole, he learned to ignore them
>Vindr jumps onto one of the pipes, walking forward to appear not too far away from the Rat King
>I said something along the lines of "Rat King?! Don't make me laugh! You're no match for the prince of darkness! The avatar of doom! I am chosen and placed here to spread HIS dominion! You are nothing in my wake!"
>I shot him with a bow and arrow and ended up wounding him quite badly, taking my lead the rogue also jumps onto the pipe and does one final shot before felling the terrible beast
>the rest of the rats, half been put to sleep by the sorcerer and the other half now scared begin to disperse
>we quickly jump onto the sleeping ones and shove them all in a burlap sack, hoping to catch a few coins for talking pets
>we leave to find ourselves coming out on the outskirts of the village, heading back in we turn in the quest, the rats were apparently called "moon rats"
>rats who are normally not intelligent, but gain INT dependent on the moon cycles
>we sell them off, collect our meager coin and head to the pub to relax and give a toast to each other for a job well done!
>Vindr, initially the reject of the rejects, becomes the defacto party leader due to his bravery, eccentricity, and all around charming and lovable personality

And that was our session 1.

For some reason japs at least do it somewhat enjoyable. Most of the western (and slavic) litRPG i have ever seen are just bad.

Russian reporting, those books are local memes, they are so shitty that it becomes hilarious. But avoid at all cost.

Turns out we'd rather make cartoons about it too

high quality post

BEHOLD

Can an insect change the outcomes of WW2 dramatically? Yes it can - if it is Peter Degtyarev, a colonel of engineer troops who met his demise fighting for Donbass in 2014, reborn!

This looks fucking awful in the best possible way

I was once in a campaign where our quest giver was from our world. He'd been pulled from our world into an empty void where, as the only being there, inherited omnipotence.

He didn't really know what to do with it, so he used his knowledge of tabletop roleplaying games to make a world.

He got tired of being god after a few millenia, so he was prepping the party to inherit his power between them by the end of the campaign.

Its amazing

Fucking Russians.
I agree with second guy - they're fucking orks of our world.