Discard edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

old.photojoiner.net/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/essay-what-2010-11-08
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

running a mtg tabletop game this is a boss opinions?

>this is a boss
Huh?

ill post the rules

Welcome Planeswalkers to MTGRPG
A custom gamemode in witch you and three friends can travel the multiverse
The game is intended for three players acting as Planeswalkers and a forth acting as the game master

Player's/Planeswalkers
60 card decks
No mythics
No legendarys
FOLLOW A THEME
Skills
You start the game with 7 skill points
Skills are broken up into five categories
Cunning (blue)
Whether it's picking a lock, recalling ancient secrets or evading detection cunning is an essential skill to survive in the multiverse
Speed (red)
Speed is used to chase down or outrun foes it can also prove very useful in avoiding area effects such as rocks falling
And fireballs
Valor (white)
The test of a man is his will and if that breaks you shall surely die valor is used to resist unholy curses and to detect the lies of others
Survival (green)
Perceiving danger, sustaining injury, living off the land and tracking beasts can all be useful skills for a planeswaler and survival is truly of the fittest in the multiverse
Ambition (black)
Some men and women are content living normal lives but those with ambition seek more for themselves learning to lie and barter charm and seduce a useful skill indeed
Affinity
every Planeswalker has preference for one color of mana or another and that is shown with affinity you start the game with 5 affinity points and can distribute them as you wish in the 5 colors these multiply the value of your skill points
Example let's say you have 1 affinity for black and you assign 3 skill points to ambition your ambition would be 4 if you had 5 affinity for black your affinity would be 8(edited)
Encounters
90 card decks
No 4 card limit
Start with 40 life and 10 cards in hand no mulagins
Draw 2 cards and play 2 land every turn
Keep it interesting brake some rules.
(Ie. Start with legendarys on the field ,have mana scale automatically or just have several encounter decks fight eachother with the players caught in the middle)

Huh, OK. Well, I'm just going to review your cards as cards only.

Right from the start you mess up how to make hybrid mana work. Lifelink isn't mono-Blue. I think this should just be a gold card. But going past that, Deathtouch? That isn't White or Blue. The token ability could be cool, but I think you'd have to increase the cost of the card a lot. Not entirely sure on the last ability though.

OK, it's pretty clear you're new to making Magic cards, if not new to Magic entirely. I definitely recommend avoiding planeswalkers and multicolor cards for now until you have a better hang of how things work in Magic.

ok then a person from innastrad who binds spirits to her will that later in life becomes a planeswalker how would you make her. im not trying to be a dick i just need to get this done by tonight

Fucking hell. Which one needs to be done tonight?

the legendary

Change it to gold, drop Deathtouch. For the tokens, maybe pay a cost and exile the card so you can't abuse it. Still not sure on the last ability though. Or... I dunno for sure, but maybe something like
>Whenever a non-Spirit creature dies, create a token that's a copy of that creature except it's 1/1, it's a Spirit in addition to its other types, and it has "Pay this token's mana cost and exile it: Put target creature card in a graveyard with the same name as this token onto the battlefield under your control."
Eh, not entirely sure on that to be honest.

It would help if you told me more about what you want to do with it.

thanks a million for the feedback guys. I'll repost the white ones since I've made changes since you guys last talked on them. I've got the black red and green marked up too but don't wanna post too much at once. currently working on multicolor and trying to decide where i really wanna take the other multicolor pairs like U/G and what a good mechanic to express opression in w/b would be.

>CW-03
Holy god, really? Imagine this with any Red "damage to all creatures" effect.

ah fuck i didn't think of that. should probably just buff power then.

Update

as a note shes supposed to be a bit strong since her deck is going up against 3

Hate to say it, but that seems pretty Red to me. Maybe you gain 1 life? Eh, not sure if I'm actually a fan of this trigger. Maybe change to hitting players? Eh, dunno.

life gain could work, maybe i should give it a keyword like the other one that gains first strike?

This feels dirty.

It's basically a black Silence that's worse since it doesn't prevent anything but creatures and costs you two cards. Unless there's something I'm not seeing. I guess it kinda doubles as a bad Essence Scatter too. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

Okay so based on what I've read you want her to control Spirits. Do you want her to make Spirits or just control them? Because based on your description I feel like you want to make a blue card that gains control of target Spirit when it enters the battlefield or something. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I'll just take a look at what you have here.

First, you exile cards from graveyards, so it has to be "target creature card". Next, it's "Create a token that's a copy of the exiled card, except it's a Spirit in addition to its other types." Honestly it could be costed using black and white hybrid mana, since both of those colors are allowed to do that. This would be a valid and acceptable use of hybrid mana. I'd cost it something like 2w/bw/b. It's a strong ability.

You might want to make the draw ability not trigger whenever any Spirit enters the battlefield, just ones under your control. Otherwise it's a bit oppressive and it's already a strong ability as-is. It should also be the first ability on the card.

Last ability is fine.

I'll go over these in a minute.

>Madame Mirage
I've been meaning to read her books. Are they any good? I kinda like the ability, but can you even activate it if there's no spell to target? I know it says "may" but wouldn't "up to one target spell" be safer wording? I'm honestly not sure.

In the meantime, have a really weird card I made for no discernible reason. I mean I guess it's neat but I have no idea if it's balanced or what. I was going to put "cast only during combat" but I think I can do without it. It's pretty self-explanatory.

>01
Better, but could probably be a 1/2. White is allowed to have above-average weenie creatures.
>02
Making this a piker would be safer.
>03
Just make it "one or more other creatures" so it doesn't trigger itself and it doesn't trigger more than once. I'd dial it back to +1/+1 as well.
>04
Much better with the smaller body.
>05
I'm fine with this.
>06
I wouldn't. It's got a small ass but it's still 4 life every time it chumps something. Bit too much at common. Big lifelinkers are usually uncommon.
>07
Again, damage needs a source hoss.
>08
"Until end of turn". Also just make the damage source the spell. It's easier.
>09
Seems fine.
>10
Also better.
>11
I feel like this could be W?
>12
I dunno about this. I mean it's probably okay, but double strike is hard to do at common. It's one of the only evergreen keywords that doesn't really show up there because it's not typically suited for it. Even MaRo admits it.

I don't have another collage ready, but I'll bump the thread with some in-progress stuff. I'm currently working my way through multicolored uncommons. I only have drafts of the RW cards so far.

>01
The first mode is going to see way more use methinks. Also, it reads somewhat oddly but I suppose between both colors they basically cover a preference for all spell types.
>02
Not ashamed to say I had to re-read Ambush to get a sense of the actual utility. I think you could actually get away with making the Djinn tapped and attacking too if you pay the Ambush cost, so maybe you could add "If ~ enters the battlefield tapped and attacking, those tokens are tapped and attacking." or something.

Reposting because no mind for cards right now.
>03
Woah. Makes sense in-set, but seeing ramp make white is kinda strange nonetheless.

Why does your white mechanic reward you for doing red things? If you want to have a mechanic that rewards players for burn, put it in red. Otherwise your whole mechanic has to center around the two white spells per set that can hurt attacking or blocking creatures

Seems fair but bad since there is a chance your opponent got additional value from an ETB.

PC planeswalkers are they balanced with each other

Planeswalkers, hybrid, and multicolor all lie far beyond your grasp right now. Start small, use Gatherer.

nigga im just trying to run a game they dont have to be perfect
1. are they balanced with each other and
2. if not what needs changing
im looking for something constructive pls

>Madame Mirage
Ah, good point, I'll change the wording. As for her comic, I was actually going through it recently for the card, and it's pretty meh. Nothing bad, but nothing spectacular. Honestly, I feel like a revision of the script could've helped immensely, since there are some ideas that are interesting, but they never really get the screentime they deserve.

>card
Pretty odd. Not really sure about this.

>UM01
Not sure about this.

>UM02
Nice surprise blocker.

>UM03
Not sure how I feel about White getting in on rituals. But anyway, I think the wording would be clearer if it were
>Add X mana in any combination of R and/or W to your mana pool, where X is the number of creatures you control.

If you think I'm going to hold your hand through this entire thing, you have another thing coming. Making these cards good is your responsibility, not mine. I'm just here to point out the flaws.

>Ailo
Probably the best as far as I can tell. First makes a resilient blocker, second makes a good attacker. Not so sure on the third though.

>Varin
Why does the first ability have a downside? Second ability will hardly ever work against anything other than a creatureless deck. Third seems very weak.

>Ezekiel
Overall, could possibly be interesting in a sort of control setup.

>Kaiser
Seems weak overall.

>Urgan
Hilariously awful. One weakness for nearly all these cards is how they require setup that they don't provide.

>Sheera
Note that this is the first planeswalker that has a requirement for the first ability that is supported by the second ability and not by the third. Anyway, first might be OK, hard to tell. Second is random and constricting, third seems incredibly weak.

I stand by my earlier feedback. Honestly, most of these cards just seem confused. What is each of them trying to do? Why are most hybrid?

they are all built around a specific deck tailored to work as commanders of a pcs 60 card deck
Ailo is red green baby dragons

Varin Black Red Idefk i just did what i can with the deck he gave me the first ability works as removal as well as a buff

Ezekiel literately his entire deck was lighting just so much fucking lighting

Kaiser mono white heroic deck

urgan simic mad scientist he is a walking bioshift

sheera deck spawns 2/2 tokens like mad with combat tricks falling out her ass
thanks for the help ill give them a second look:)

Once again, thanks a million. When you say damage needs a source do you mean it should be worded lik3 "CW-07 deals damage to etc. Etc."?

I mentioned it last thread but I'm doing a multicolored set focused on the enemy colors and what hasn't been explored much with them. Red white is always saddled with combat and combat keywords. So I decided to make RWs focus on noncombat damage since white also gets burn in the form of creature damage.

Seems pretty weak for a rare, considering Orochi Leafcaller has practically the same effect and doesn't need to tap.

Yeah, look at Lightning Bolt for example. This is why vetting your own cards on Gatherer is a good idea to make sure your text is up to snuff.

Well shit you have a point. I guess I managed to make a common... and a bad one at that. Go me! I miss the damnedest examples sometimes.

Got me thinking... and does this work? I can't find a precedent that says yes or no in any kind of "hard" fashion but the term "produce" is used to describe lands making mana so I think it works? Makes for an interesting Shade-like card, and it's pretty strong I think. I knocked it down to a 1/1 because it obviously can get out of hand, and made it force mana filtering to make it a bit harder to use.

I have to say it's ironic and more than a bit amusing that I just told someone to use Gatherer to check their card text and I failed to find a card to compare my own card to when it should have been an easy check.

"Whenever you activate a mana ability of ~, it gets..."
You can also just include in the mana ability since gameplay-wise the difference is basically never going to come up.

Thanks. For some reason I'm total garbage at simplification and streamlining. Well, aside from card design and general concepts, but that's a different ball of wax.

What color is Batman?
Presume Batman from the animated series/justice league cartoons.
I'm thinking Esper, or Dimir.

>Esper
>Dimir
>Orzhov
Depend on which aspect of Batman you want to show and the mechanics you give him

Red search is kind of a thing.

What said, it always just comes down to the mechanics at the end of the day. Making the colors of the card reflect the actual personality of the character should never be a higher priority, otherwise you'll start making really out of color stuff. But here's my interpretation of Batman. FStrike for martial arts, Menace for intimidation, exile ability for being a ninja.

If I want to make a card representing a tabletop character with mixed ancestry, say a half elf, how should I type it? Should I just nut up and pick Human or Elf? Should I make it a Human Elf? Or should I make a new creature type, Half-Elf?

ded thred

Sorry for not really posting, having the time of my life laughing at bad RPGs. Changing Breeds is comedy gold.

>roll on that 6d10 custom card challenge thing using Wizards' online dice roller thing
>9, 4, 9, 5, 8, 4
>Multicolor, Sorcery, Token Generation, cmc 3, Rare, Legacy staple
>make not!Lingering Souls

Rolled 7, 7, 4, 8, 10 = 36 (5d10)

>roll [...] using Wizards' online dice roller thing
When you make a post, post "dice+6d10" into the options bar, without quotes obviously.

Anyway, might as well give it a go myself. Rolling for everything but the last category, because I know fuckall about formats and archetypes.

>Multicolor (GW), enchantment, removal/burn, CMC 5, mythic
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rolled 2, 1, 3, 5, 1, 2 = 14 (6d10)

Rolling.

Rolled 8, 9, 10, 8, 3 = 38 (5d10)

Rolling for everything but last.

It's... ok? Maybe a little pushed since there's a card that does this to one permanent period for 4U, so maybe this should be UUU or something?

Any got any good names for the cards in this cycle.

You missed the green four.
BG = -0/-3, +3/+3
RG = +3/+0, +3/+3
GW = +3/+3, +0/+3
GU = +3/+3, -3/-0

How is this?

Is the 0 ability worded correctly to reset her loyalty?

It needs to reference her by name unless you want to prevent any planeswalkers from activating.

I do want to prevent all planeswalkers from activating. Think of it as her using a black discard effect on the opponents planeswalkers instead of the actual opponents, make them forget their spells or break their concentration via fear or something to that effect.

But the bounce does reset her loyalty, right?

If that was your intent, then you succeeded.

OUT OF THE WAY BITCHES, I HAVE DESIGN SPACE TO OPEN

Stutter
U
Instant
Exile target permanent. When you exile a permanent this way, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
"I was only gone for a second, I swear!"

This is pretty much how all flicker cards work now. end of turn flickers seem to be a thing of the past.

You can't believe how hard I have to contain my laughter.

This is actually fairly different. I haven't yet seen this exact implementation.

RTFC

Well this is the one I had made a long time ago.

Stop overusing shroud, thanks.

Working at this set thing still, in between other projects. Any thoughts at this rough stage?
WR might be conspire, but I don't know for sure yet.
The main theme is "escalation."
Regime is based off of cards like Kindle or Rune Snag, but instead of one specific card it's a cluster of them.

lol

You've got a solid base here but personally I'd be a bit scared of regime. Building a regime deck that just curves out gets terrifyingly strong and the early cards seem only somewhat below curve for how powerful they get later on. Especially given that early game regime cards become quality top late game top decks.

My only thought is to perhaps include more double colors in their casting costs to make them a little worse at curving out and just that extra bit more "expensive". Or I could be dumb and need to see it in action.

I actually agree that regime is a bit scary. But to me it's scary in that it seems really unpredictable in power level. I appreciate the input and will keep that in mind as an option if it ends up too powerful. Definitely something I'll have to test.

Also, idea I had. Something that you can feed experience counters to to get some immediate benefit at the cost of later value.

>This is actually fairly different.
...How?

>RTFC
???

Seriously. This is basic card comprehension.

It exiles a thing. Then it puts a trigger on the stack to bring that thing back.

Eh? EEEH?

I'm sure valmeni could use some hammering out on exact numbers and such. You're rarely sure where to place a planeswalker's numbers until you've played with them a fair bit.

That could be a pretty good rare design.
Now that I have experience counters in just two colors rather than five color, I don't want to go crazy with them, but as a singular rare that might be worth doing.

It doesn't put a trigger on the stack because the exile and return are both part of the same effect on the same card, and thus both happen during resolution of said card.
It is literally no different to any other immediate blink effects. Separate sentences mean nothing when they're still on the same line of the same card.

Is the wording correct?

"~ deals an amount of damage to target opponent equal to 2 plus the number of spells with the same name he or she controls."

What about now?

Yes, it's supposed to kill people that makes storm combos.

>surviving against storm to play a 5 mana spell

I don't care if Fear is outdated, I thought that it was a cool concept.

How do you guys create these combined card images? Do you just do it manually in PS or something?

it's in the OP
old.photojoiner.net/

Second to last link in the OP, not counting the link to the last thread.

Thanks for spoonfeeding me user, I feel pretty stupid not seeing that.

Don't worry, you don't just feel stupid, you can be confident you are stupid

intimidate > fear

also you worded the tap ability like garbage. should be more along the lines of "this creature fights target creature an opponent controls," or the ever popular "deals damage equal to its power to target creature an opponent controls..." to avoid confused new people

>6 face damage + giving a dude essentially unblockable for 4 mana
That's too much man. Especially in combination with any double strike creature it turns it into a damn near turn 4 otk.

I like the concept. Your formatting's a bit off though, here:

Enchant creature
When Price of Power enters the battlefield, target opponent creates a tapped 8/8 black Demon creature token with “T: This creature fights target creature.”
Enchanted creature gets +6/+6 and has fear.

Also, like said, intimidate is better than fear. It's more up-to-date and dynamic.
is right too, the numbers are a bit too high. You can either bump down both the enchanted creature and the created Demon's P/T, or you can make the Demon enter the battlefield untapped. You don't need to worry about it fighting anything immediately, it's got summoning sickness.

Maybe not a common, but I tried to give it something interesting.

Though, land reanimation CAN be mono-green, so this card may be a bit off. Whatever, I tried.

I can make it untapped, but if I put Intimidate the Demon may need to wait and maybe it will not be able to block because of the colors differences. But ok.

Also I may not worry, but it will most probably kill the creature the next turn anyways.

Even tho an untapped demon means that the player must use the aura only when he's sure that the creature will outstat the demon, other wise it will not be able to attack without being blocked most of the times and would die the next turn.

1. Stop double spacing your cards. MSE puts half a space between lines by default if you just hit enter.
2. Remove reminder text on rares and mythics, and on evergreens, and whenever it overly clutters the card.

Sadly I noticed the really small test just after I posted the image, but I immediately corrected it. Thank you For your feedback.

Trying this for RW

Rate my win cycle, which border is good, and shitty poem
Unfortunately I don't have art that all flows together like most

0/10

Cool
Why?

How do I cost this appropriately?

Hard to tell, Aura tutors usually don't bring it to the battlefield. Anyway, I recommend changing the wording to
>Choose target creature you control. Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal an Aura card that could enchant the chosen creature. Put that card onto the battlefield attached to that creature and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

What the fuck? Oh, you think these three cards together would let you get all your lands out, right? You don't cast lands, you play them. Also, I was expecting an alternate win-con.

I strongly advise you to find a different mechanic. This is what Maro had to say on Conspire.

>Conspire: From Shadowmoor. One of the signs that this mechanic was a miss is that most players don't even remember what it did. (It let you tap two creatures of the same color to copy your instant or sorcery.) This mechanic isn't horrible just filler and Magic can do better than filler mechanics.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/essay-what-2010-11-08