Thoughts on Arabian settings?

Thoughts on Arabian settings?

Other urls found in this thread:

burtoniana.org/books/1885-Arabian Nights/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Al-Qadim was good.

Running one now. Well sorta. Arabian, Mediterranean, and Indian. The players are going to be going to the arabian/ persian area soon. Highly recommend trying it out.

I love them, especially Unfortunately we can't talk about them on Veeky Forums these days because of all the /pol/tards.

I had actually sketched out a chronicle for Werewolf Apocalypse in the modern Middle East. The pack would come from very different backgrounds and mostly have diverging interpretations of Islam. After setting their differences aside, they'd have to protect a Caern (some natural wonder with mystical energy, in this case some oasis) from getting overrun by war. Spirits would be mostly djinn talking in riddles, so it'd be hard to know which of them were friend or foe.
As said, just a sketch. Never came to play it. Arabian Nights setting also has lots of potential.

More often than not, they're hotter than hot, in a rather good way

My problem is I don't know enough about any culture to run the setting, without it turning into "generic setting with a thin layer of arabian paint"

That's not actually a problem, beloved fantasy races have been created that way

>Unfortunately we can't talk about them on Veeky Forums these days because of all the /pol/tards.

I mean, you could, if you weren't a defeated little pussy. /pol/ never had the balls to actually take any sort of power, y'all just freely gave it to them.

Wasn't there a worldbuilding thread on this a while ago?

>Wasn't there a worldbuilding thread on this a while ago?
Yeah, it was hard to follow the discussion because of the constant shitposting from /pol/tards.

Despite my parents both being Irish and loosely Catholic, and my family being Irish back a far as we can tell, I didn't grow up with Irish fairy-tales. No, when I was young, my dad got me an abridged copy of the Arabian Nights. And my favorite of the Chronicles of Narnia is A Horse and His Boy, both because it's the only one that takes place entirely "in-universe" and because of the setting of Calormen.

I friggin' love Arabian settings. In fact, I'm writing out a story that takes place in the City of Brass right now.

Pic.

Get yourself a copy of The Arabian Nights, even just an abridged copy. That should be a good starting point.

Dunno why you think browsing /pol/ means someone automatically hates all non white/ non-European influenced cultures, especially in a fantastical role-playing game

I'm the second dude you responded to. I actually don't. I think there's a hell of a lot of conservatives and natsoc in /pol/ who *do* cleanly, clearly, and plainly fall under that description, but I think a far better description of /pol/ as a whole is "A bunch of confused pasty internet boys who take politics way too seriously," the same way I view pretty much any hobbyist board on this site.

That's why I'm so fucking confused about the fear of /pol/ and "Go back to /pol/!" crying.

This I can agree with, anyone that makes a boogie man out of a board is so damn silly

>it's literally impossible to discuss Egypt on Veeky Forums without 50% of replies being WE or HOL UP
>"/pol/ did nothing wrong dude just ignore the shitposting lmao :^) "

but user, you're the one shitting up this thread, now
please stop

bump
how about telling me more about playable races, or unusual creatures that could be found?

this

>>it's literally impossible to discuss Egypt on Veeky Forums without 50% of replies being WE or HOL UP

Nice meme bro, I'm sure it's actually 50% of the replies.

Nah, you're just mad because other folks who use Veeky Forums are memeing at each other in the wrong way. But THULSA DOOM and NOISE MARINES and Ribbon, right? That's a hell of a lot more interesting, user!

If it isn't full of opulent whorehouses to sate my magical realm, I really couldn't give a shit.

Have you read "Tales of the Marvelous and News of the Strange"? It's kind of a pulpier contemporary of the Arabian Nights, and some of the stories have the same jumbled pacing and "look at all this cool shit" aesthetic as an RPG campaign. There's a series of stories that literally consists of a group of adventurers figuring out how to overcome the obstacles in a dungeon to reach the treasure at the end; it's ready-made to lift pieces for a setting.

In Al-Qadim you can play all of the core races. You can also play goblins, hobgoblins, or ogres; the Islam equivalent of the setting promotes tolerance and peace as long as you're a member of the faith. Slavery exists and it's not explicitly Evil like most D&D settings; it's more of a gray market enterprise. Genies are very important; lesser genies (Gen) serve wizards, a strange off-shoot (Jann) dwell in the deserts, and the infrequent visits of Nobles are minor natural disasters and grand spectacles. There are no dragons. The big bads are the soul-stealing Yak-men who serve their faceless wizard-ancestor-god via human sacrifice and political subterfuge.

>when /pol/cucks defend /pol/ it's truthposting
>when posters call out /pol/cucks it's shitposting

I thought liberals had a monoploy on doublethink, guess I was wrong.

>THULSA DOOM and NOISE MARINES and Ribbon
All cancer as well, but at least those stay on a single board. Unlike /pol/ shitposts.

>I didn't grow up with Irish fairy-tales.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume that's because you're actually American, rather than Irish.

You ever heard of this thing called an ethnicity, son?

besides genies, what other outsiders could I get away with porting in?
>from both d&d3.5 and pathfinder are what I know best, and there's a fucking lot of different kinds

Mainly the races of the Inner Planes. Genasi, but no tieflings or aasimar.

Good rare healing item:
>Mellified man, or human mummy confection, was a legendary medicinal substance created by steeping a human cadaver in honey.
>Relying on a second-hand account, Li reports a story that some elderly men in Arabia, nearing the end of their lives, would submit themselves to a process of mummification in honey to create a healing confection

In the sense of "I was born in and consider myself American", yes, but I was the first member of my family to be so. When I said that my parents were Irish, I meant that they were actually born in Dublin and lived there until 1986, when they (illegally!) migrated to America. I was born in 1987 (I'm an anchor baby!); they got their green cards in 1990. My dad moved back to Ireland in 2005 and still lives there, as do my grandparents.

I've been to Ireland at least once every year of my life, including actually going to Kindergarten there in 1994.

So properly speaking I'm not myself Irish, but generally speaking I tend to be the most Irish person in the room.

ALLAHU ACKBAR!

They're cool places for Western settings to invade for natural resources/to reclaim their holy land

*Whoops, sorry, meant to say I went to Kindergarten in Ireland in 1993. Although truth be told the only truly Irish thing I remember from Kindergarten is how to pronounce "Slán go fóill."

This post sponsored by:
SAND! it's everywhere!

I fell in love with Persian epic poetry and based as shit Ferdowsi after a few years in history at university. Incidentally, my settings now tend to include at least one Safavid/Mughal inspired entity and are focused around the grand task of REMOVE TURK, REMOVE ARAB

I had a weird flash of an idea where you could really do a fun dwarvish culture based on the Persians, heavily mountainous region, old as shit cities, could work well

I always liked deserts and big sandy wastelands. I don't know why, but that was always the setting I was most drawn to despite living all my life in a swamp. Or maybe because of that. I dunno, I don't psychology.

The more I studied about ancient Persian culture the more fascinating I found it. It was a total coincidence I had an Afghan roommate in college. I ran a bunch of my fantasy setting ideas by him, and he was totally into it. He helped me a lot and gave me ideas. Not like trying to convert me, but he gave me words, phrases, mannerisms, general life stuff. He told me would and wouldn't fly in a Middle Eastern town, the difference between the villages and big cities. I used a lot of that information to build up my setting, along with myths and ancient lore.

I'll always remember that guy, and how so super into the idea he was. He was so psyched about the idea of 'Lord of the Rings for the Middle East'. I was just kinda surprised that they had Lord of the Rings over there. I feel disappointed I never have run any games out of it. I always feel like it'll be not popular or I'll get a reputation for being the weird GM when everyone else does really normal, from the book kinda stuff down at my store.

user, I'd kill for a roommate in college. Don't let the fact you're running something different discourage you. Use that knowledge before you forget it.

Besides, if you're running it with DnD, it'll still be anchored enough for people at the store.

burtoniana.org/books/1885-Arabian Nights/

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

>Thoughts on Arabian settings?
Needs less muslims...

>Read Arabian Nights.
>Learn about all the muslims getting cucked by blacks.
>Decide Arabian culture isn't all it's chalked up to be.
>Run superior euro-centric game instead

Try Persia before the Muslim conquest.

You sound like my autistic persian friend.

bump

>REMOVE TURK, REMOVE ARAB

my indoeuropeans of darker skin

Mind sharing some of that setting, user?

Yeah, bumping that request, I'm sucker for persian stuff.

Fun fact: The closest literal translation of "Allahu Ackbar" is "God is the biggest".

Making arabian dragonborn twins with a buddy. Seems cool.