Greek myths be real

>Greek myths be real
>After centuries of waiting, the Titans gain enough power to escape Tartarus
>Prepare to wage war against the Gods
>Olympians to busy fucking and being angry to care
>Zeus offers Titans a whole new planet if they just go away
>Titans agree, make their own humans, and fuck off to their own world
>Because it grew up with a different set of Gods, monsters and magic in this world work completly different.

How's this for a setting? What kind of creatures would the Titans inadvertently create? How would they differ from their pre-Titanomachy days?

>Zeus offers Titans a whole new planet if they just go away

If the Greek myths are real, then this doesn't work. The planet is literally just Gaea, just the how the sky is literally just Ouranos.

There would need to be a whole other primordial entity for there to be another planet, and it would need to occupy some other location within primoridal Chaos.

There's no "their own" humans, Prometheus created humans. If anything it would be the gods creating their own humans.

The age of the Titans was the golden age of humanity. The Olympians are evil dicks.

Certain myths say that Zeus made people, but I see your point.
Good point. What about just another continent that the Olympians didn't care about? The Titans can take a certain amount of people with them, or again, they could just take Prometheus and have him make more people.

Iron is stronger than gold, user.

It's also less valuable

Amidst a battle?

Well, OP suggested that it's been centuries since the Titanomachy, so humans have by now come into being via Prometheus

Presumably the Titans decided they liked the basic idea of humanity. The thing is that humans in Greek mythology were made with the literal leftovers after all the other animals, which is why humans lack fur, fangs, claws, and so on. We were so pathetically useless that Prometheus stole fire from the gods out of pity for the fact that, without it, we would all die.

If the Titans are fucking off to their own world (I'm gonna call it Chthon), and they have a new set of parts to make animals to populate it, but they like the idea of being worshipped by mortal beings and so that's their highest priority, then the Chthonic "humans" probably won't resemble Terran humans because they'll be the first things made.

Hate to say it, but Chthonic "humans" would probably be what amounts to furries or beastfolk. They'd have fur for warmth, claws for defense, fangs for offense, and brainpower besides.

>which is why humans lack fur, fangs, claws, and so on.

I thought it was because humans were made of clay. Also he stole the fire because Zeus first quenched it, before that humans got along just fine.

>I thought it was because humans were made of clay

Yeah, because that was all that was left to make us out of.

Iron begets gold.

Sounds kind of sketch because he made humans in his image. Humans may have been made of a shortage of materials, but that isn't why they aren't furries. They aren't furries because Prometheus wasn't a furry.

or they could be greys instead, just to fuck with people.

Clay was all that was left dude.

>Epimetheus, resolving to fix his past mistake, decided to give humanity all the qualities he would have given the beasts.
>With nothing to defend themselves with, the beasts were soon hunted to extinction, and the First Chthonians starved
>Epimetheus then gave humans half of the beastial traits, and gave the rest to the animals.
>Humans no longer required fire, and thus could not burn the sacrifices the Great Titans so desperately wanted.
>Scarred Cronos wiped this second race of Cthonians with a fearsome plague
>Finally, Epimetheus built humans as weak compared to the beasts that surrounded them
>And thus the third and final race of Cthonians was born

Shit son. That's good.

Not exactly. Humans were made of clay because initially they were intended to be, and made only as dolls. Literally toys, little figures for Prometheus to play with. They were never intended as a race, it was only after Prometheus became bored, did he then beseech Zeus to breathe life into them, as they were.

So he didn't create humans out of what was only left, he created dolls out of clay because that was the normal thing to do and what dolls are made of. You could say that clay was just what was left, but that isn't a limiter on the creations. There could have been an abundance of all materials, and he'd still have made the dolls of clay.

>Prometheus was the original Veeky Forumser, making his own miniatures

That's not very Greek myth sounding. This is a world ruled by beings that are individually mightier than even the Gods, sculpted to thier own image. The Chthonians would be like ancient heroes of old, capable of great feats, superior to humanity in every way. They'd for all intents and purposes be basically Tolkienesque elves in terms of ability.

With the Earth to serve as a blueprint and lesson in what to do and what not to do, the Titans would instead forge Chthon into a better-balanced world. The Chthonic beastfolk might be kept in check by low birth rate, for example. Or, these being the Titans, maybe there's just more animal parts and other raw materials to go around. They might even decide to take a few of the Earth's monsters with them, particularly Echidna.

The World of Chthon will probably end up fundamentally resembling something like 10,000 BC meets Conan the Barbarian meets Ironclaw.

Not saying I hate this but
>This is a world ruled by beings that are individually mightier than even the Gods
I've never seen anything that supports this, although there isn't much about the Titans in the first place. Also remember, Epimetheus is the Titan of Fucking Up, so I'm sure he'll find a way

Gold begets everything else. Including Iron

Hmm, might be remembering things wrong, but I remember learning in school that the Titans were mightier than the Gods - and of course, modern popular culture tends to hold true to this idea as well. The Gods won due to a combination of superior tactics and technology (in the form of Zeus' thunderbolts and the like), as well as a number of traitor Titans aiding them.

>Epimetheus is the Titan of Fucking Up, so I'm sure he'll find a way

I don't doubt it. It's just that it seems more "natural" to me that, if the Titans are setting out to make their version of humans first rather than last and as almost an afterthought, then they're likely to endow them better.

If you know what I mean.

Maybe not full-on furries, but certainly a Chthonic human should not be capable of being confused with a Terran one when compared side-by-side. Especially since I'm sure that the Titans will want to one-up the Gods to show them how much better their mortals are.

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."

>Especially since I'm sure that the Titans will want to one-up the Gods to show them how much better their mortals are
Too true. But if this is the case, then these Cthonians have to prove themselves, right? After all, humans slay mighty creatures all the time, so the Titans have to make monsters ten times more deadly

It seems like while the Titans out of feelings of revenge, would want their race of men to be better than that of the Gods. Or even just, wanting to do things right this time around.

But the Gods meanwhile, seem like the sort petty enough to consider that a sleight and treat it as a competition, making their own men better. And seeing this, the Titans then make their men better. And seeing this, the Gods...

>It becomes an arms race of which side can create the most superior men
>In the end men end up being greater than the Gods or the Titans

Hence why I said that Chthon is gonna look like the Pliocene era meets Conan the Barbarian. Megafauna everywhere, Echidna scooped up from Earth and brought to Chthon to produce monsters...

...hey, here's your chance for a fuckup: wanting to populate the world with monsters, the Titans at the behest of Epimetheus bring over not only Echidna, but also manage to pull Typhon from where he's buried (myths put it at either Sicily or Ischia) so that Echidna can have her husband back.

Which turns out to be a fucking stupid idea because Typhon is the Last Son of Gaea, who's father was Tartaros himself, and is the monster that came closest to slaying Zeus himself and was basically single-handedly responsible for handing the gods their asses in the Gigantomachy, the war that followed the Titanomachy ten years later.

The Titans don't really know/care how dangerous Typhon is, and Typhon bides his time with Echidna pumping out dangerous monster after dangerous monster onto Chthon until he's ready for Gigantomachy II: Electric Boogaloo, this time against the Titans.

While the Titans eventually defeat him, the monsters he created run rampant across the globe to an extent that they never did on Earth.

Please, let's not turn this into HFY. If this is supposed to be based on Greek myth, then there is one absolutely ironclad rule vis-a-vis gods and mortals, to whit: Gods are better than mortals. No exceptions.

>Gods are better than mortals.

Depending on your definition of better, that may be absolutely false.

By any physical or mental standard, and on top of that gods just can't die under any circumstance. As for morality, the Greek rule was that Gods were in charge and so could do whatever they liked as long as the chief God (Zeus) didn't object.

I never really got this. Is God the true lord because he wields supreme destructive power?
I might be too much like the baron.

My take away was that the Olympians weren't morally better or worse than people, they just did the things people would do if they found themselves with that much power

What would you all say makes a monster feel Greek? As far as I can tell, Greeks were much more invested in Barbaric races from across the sea and mashup monsters made by the gods than with spirits like most other mythologies

Well, if we're going to flesh out the motivation of the Titans, we should probably understand what the Titans are in their conception. Lots of cultures have Titans, though some are not explicitly stated as such. Many are simply the Old Gods or the old ways. The way we usually understand them is by their contrast to the New Gods.

The Titans or Old Gods are Gods of much more primal forces. Unstoppable destructive powers from when man was in his infancy and at the mercy of the cruel and unforgiving world. Landslides, earthquakes, forest fires, floods, tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes, thunderstorms, freezing winters, famine and disease... These are the things man cannot fight, what wipe out whole villages in weeks, days, or even instants.

The New Gods are the civilizing elements created by man, representing all that they have built and governed to create and foster civilization. Gods of trade, war, wine, music, philosophy, language... These are the Gods of man's civilized world; what props it up and keeps it going. They beat back the darkness and the Titans and even in the face of great destruction can eventually rebuild and conquer the primordial forces of nature again.

This represents the ongoing struggle between the civilized order of Man and Nature, that which we build to protect and serve us, and that which we cannot control or even understand. An eternal struggle between civilization and the natural world which tear at each other in violence and subtle ways. Of course, there's sometimes the titanic clash at the end of days, when the Titans and the Gods of Man fight to the last and destroy each other, because Man must build on the Titan's world, and when he has destroyed the Titans finally, he has no world left on which to build.

Ideally, Man would come to respect the Titans, and live with them indefinitely, always wary and careful in his actions. But ultimately it is the arrogance of Man, reflected in his Gods, that will doom everything.

No, they just wanted for nothing and ultimately made nothing. The heroic age is best age, because that was when you had the demigod heroes doing all the cool shit, if I remember my Hesiod.

Gods were stronger than Titans, the whole point was that the next generation would surpass the previous. Which is why Zeus put a stop to that shit immediately upon become king of the gods and made sure all the women destined to produce children mightier than their parents were married off to humans. Or eaten.

And let us not forget Typhoeus, he who was supposedly stronger than any Titan or god, getting his face punched in by Zeus in Theogeny.

Me in the middle.

>Greek myths be real
Rev up those aphrodisiacs, because I sure am horny!

>How's this for a setting?
I think it would be nice as an "alternate history" sci-fi setting, where eventually the race created by the Olympians meets the race created by the Titans and an intergalactic war ensues in both the material plain and the heavens.

>What kind of creatures would the Titans inadvertently create?
That's hard to say, especially because the Greeks and Romans actively worshipped some Titans (Saturn being the most famous, especially due to the hardcore Roman celebration known as the Saturnalia). But if we look at the Titans' reason for being locked up in Tartarus in the first place (consuming their own children, being general douchebags), I can imagine Titans being rather oppressive. The Olympian gods would probably be relatively chill, and the humans bring them sacrifices on a "do ut des" basis. Every sacrifice and form of worship is basically a treaty, a this-for-that arrangement. Gods will get involved in some personal feuds and get humans involved (see: the Trojan war) but that is the exception rather than the rule.

The Titanborn would be more fearful of and more obedient to the titans. Especially Chronos/Saturn, an all-consuming force, would be unforgiving. He and his ilk would demand constant sacrifice,even consume entire civilizations to satiate their hunger, and give nothing in return. They would be unloving tirants for whom the Titanborn exist as a means to an end. This would also be interesting in the case of a human-titanborn war, as the titanborn would be highly unwilling villains and mass desertion is only prevented by their fear of the Titans. Imagine that (almost mythical at this point) Stalingrad situation where a Russian soldier could only/ choose between German bullets or Soviet bullets. Now imagine living your entire life like that. That's what it's like to be a Titanborn.

Everyone, feel free to correct me if I fucked something up.

They were worse. Oedipus was a shitter for doing in ignorance what Zeus did consciously.

>But if we look at the Titans' reason for being locked up in Tartarus in the first place (consuming their own children, being general douchebags),
The Titans were only douches to Zeus and his brothers, and even then it was really only Cronus. All the others either switched sides (and would be seen as traitors by the rest), were women and didn't fight in the first place, or just followed their brothers into war. Plus I can see Cronus losing alot of respect of his fellow Titans after losing them a war they never really wanted to fight in the first place.

>the whole point was that the next generation would surpass the previous

That only applied to Ouranos' line of progeny, not the Gods verses the Titans as a whole.

>Typhoeus

That's just an alternate spelling of Typhon, and Zeus did not so simply "punch in" Typhon's face. The Theogeny is just one account of the battle; Apollodorus tells a different version, where Zeus pelted Typhon from a distance with thunderbolts, but they had limited effect and Typhon closed in and began "grappling" with Zeus. Zeus tried to cut down Typhon with an adamantine sickle, but Typhon was able to wrestle the sickle from Zeus and cut Zeus' sinews from his hands and feet, then lugged the helpless god to a cave and set a she-serpent named Delphyne to guard over him. Zeus needs to get rescued by Hermes and Aegipan, and when Zeus comes back for round 2 the only reason why he fares any better is because the Moirai (Fates) tricked Typhon into eating "ephemeral fruits" which weakened him.

Typhon flees the new wrestling match and hurls mountains at Zeus, which are turned aside by Zeus' thunderbolts. Typhon then fled to Sicily, where Zeus threw Mount Etna on top of him.

Greek myth is basically a pick-and-choose at this point, seeing as there are so many different versions of each myth. For my part, I much prefer Apollodorus' take on Typhon than I do Hesiod's. Typhon was, after all, the being that Gaea birthed with Tartaros to fuck SPECIFICALLY Zeus' shit up, so I feel it's better if Typhon is actually Zeus' equal or even superior, and Zeus has to rely on outside help to bring him down.

Plus the Moirai getting directly involved really sells how dangerous Typhon was.

I dunno user, Apollodorus wasn't necessarily the most reliable of sources. Greek mythology might be pick and choose, but Apollodorus seems to have been ignored by his peers until what, the 9th century AD when he started getting quoted by the Byzantines?

I think his date was narrowed down to approximately the 1st century BC or as late as 2nd century AD, but it doesn't speak too well of him. If I was going to pick a myth, I'd go with Hesiod as closer to any "source" tradition on Typhus without being "polluted" (poor term, but hope it carries the proper meaning across) by later writers.

Not that Hesiod was immune to bias himself (see: his fellation of Hecate), but still.

Time to pull out Works and Days! Behold the ages of mankind:

>First the deathless gods who dwell on Olympus made a golden race of mortal men who lived in the time of Cronos when he was reigning in heaven. And they lived like gods without sorrow of heart, remote and free from toil and grief: miserable age rested not on them; but with legs and arms never failing they made merry with feasting beyond the reach of all evils. When they died, it was as though they were overcome with sleep, and they had all good things; for the fruitful earth unforced bare them fruit abundantly and without stint. They dwelt in ease and peace upon their lands with many good things, rich in flocks and loved by the blessed gods. But after the earth had covered this generation—they are called pure spirits dwelling on the earth, and are kindly, delivering from harm, and guardians of mortal men; for they roam everywhere over the earth, clothed in mist and keep watch on judgements and cruel deeds, givers of wealth; for this royal right also they received;—then they who dwell on Olympus made a second generation which was of silver and less noble by far.

It was like the golden race neither in body nor in spirit. A child was brought up at his good mother's side a hundred years, an utter simpleton, playing childishly in his own home. But when they were full grown and were come to the full measure of their prime, they lived only a little time and that in sorrow because of their foolishness, for they could not keep from sinning and from wronging one another, nor would they serve the immortals, nor sacrifice on the holy altars of the blessed ones as it is right for men to do wherever they dwell. Then Zeus the son of Cronos was angry and put them away, because they would not give honor to the blessed gods who live on Olympus.

But when earth had covered this generation also—they are called blessed spirits of the underworld by men, and, though they are of second order, yet honor attends them also—Zeus the Father made a third generation of mortal men, a brazen race, sprung from ash-trees ; and it was in no way equal to the silver age, but was terrible and strong. They loved the lamentable works of Ares and deeds of violence; they ate no bread, but were hard of heart like adamant, fearful men. Great was their strength and unconquerable the arms which grew from their shoulders on their strong limbs. Their armor was of bronze, and their houses of bronze, and of bronze were their implements: there was no black iron. These were destroyed by their own hands and passed to the dank house of chill Hades, and left no name: terrible though they were, black Death seized them, and they left the bright light of the sun.

And lastly, the current age:

>And again far-seeing Zeus made yet another generation, the fifth, of men who are upon the bounteous earth. Thereafter, would that I were not among the men of the fifth generation, but either had died before or been born afterwards. For now truly is a race of iron, and men never rest from labor and sorrow by day, and from perishing by night; and the gods shall lay sore trouble upon them. But, notwithstanding, even these shall have some good mingled with their evils. And Zeus will destroy this race of mortal men also when they come to have grey hair on the temples at their birth.

Clearly first age is luxury, second age were shitters, third age were warmongering shitters, fourth age were the heroic demigods.

Whoops, missed the big one:

>But when earth had covered this generation also, Zeus the son of Cronos made yet another, the fourth, upon the fruitful earth, which was nobler and more righteous, a god-like race of hero-men who are called demi-gods, the race before our own, throughout the boundless earth. Grim war and dread battle destroyed a part of them, some in the land of Cadmus at seven-gated Thebes when they fought for the flocks of Oedipus, and some, when it had brought them in ships over the great sea gulf to Troy for rich-haired Helen's sake: there death's end enshrouded a part of them. But to the others father Zeus the son of Cronos gave a living and an abode apart from men, and made them dwell at the ends of earth. And they live untouched by sorrow in the islands of the blessed along the shore of deep-swirling Ocean, happy heroes for whom the grain-giving earth bears honey-sweet fruit flourishing thrice a year, far from the deathless gods, and Cronos rules over them; for the father of men and gods released him from his bonds. And these last equally have honor and glory.

Fourth age.

So first Cronus makes golden men who turn out to be amazing and kind spirits, but then decides to go and make a worse race that doesn't like the gods while the golden race is winding down and Cronus is still in power (maybe he did it as a "fuck you" to Zeus because he was losing the war?), and Zeus comes to power and decides that he's going to end the silver race because it's crap, then tries first with the warlike race and then the heroic race before settling for the iron race.

Eh, maybe, but then there was another take by Nonnus (4th/5th century AD), the most complete and involved version of the myth, that matches up to a version by Pindar (4th/3rd century BC), itself stated as being a tradition he is aware of (and not the creator of), wherein the gods fleeing to Egypt in the form of animals to escape Typhon. Nonnus' version also brings up that Zeus lost his sinews somehow, though Zeus has a somewhat more active role in getting them back (in that he hatches a plan with Cadmus and Pan rather than simply being rescued by Hermes and Aegipan).

I dunno, like I said, it's a bit of a pick-and-choose, similar to the creation of humanity.

Man, I just came into this thread to advanced the idea that Titan-ordained humans would be furries, now I'm talkin' 'bout Titanomachies and Gigantomachies...

What.
How is accidently fucking your mom and killing your father worse than zeus who would love to do these all the time. Even Oedipus showed remorse and plucked out his eyeballs and left the city.

>How is accidently fucking your mom and killing your father worse than zeus who would love to do these all the time.

It's worse becuase Oedipus, a mortal, did it. Zeus can do it because he's a God and, moreover, he's in charge.

Greek morality does not match up to our modern morality. They had different values and different concepts on what was good and evil, right and wrong.

OTHER BREAKING NEWS!
Scientists at NASA have recently discovered that the sky is blue.

I wasn't even aware we were talking about Ancient Greek morality since that in itself is a giant clusterfuck between all the city states.

But from what you're saying basically the Big Boss can do whatever he wants which makes sense when reading greek mythology.
thanks for the NASA sarcasm user

The sarcasm was necessary because this had already been discussed upthread: .

I don't like repeating myself, and it's not a big thread so there's no particular reason why you shouldn't have read that already.

Zeus losing his sinews could also be a mix-in with the myth where Hera and a couple other gods try to overthrow him. They do it by pulli his tendons out and taking his thunderbolt, though they can't use it, and when he has them seen back in he comes back with a vengeance.

certain myths say Ovid can tell the lightnig to go fuck himself, so what now

>Gods are better than mortals
Yes, because athena just cursed Arachne because she felt it.

AVE IVPPITER OPTIMVS MAXIMVS

Once again, depends on the version of the myth. In at least one take Arachne's product was at its best the equal of Athena's, but it also depicted scenes that mocked and offended the gods.

I think by better he meant physically, not morally

By our standards? No, the gods were assholes.

By Greek standards? The Gods were morally superior to humans, because they were the Gods. Everything they did was fine *for them to do* by definition. This does not, however, mean that it was in any way okay for a mortal to do whatever they did.

Honestly, gods were frequently wrong, even by Greek standards for gods. Zeus isn't in the moral right when he transforms into a literal piss typhoon and impregnates a princess, it's more that he just isn't thought to be breaking any cosmic laws. There still might be hell to pay for Zeus, but it's wholly dependent on when and where he went piss typhooning.

The Grek gods were people, powerful people with wacky powers, but people.

The Titans were physical and natural concepts personified.

Whatever world and life they created would be an eldritch horror to us.

>Theogeny

Get your Homeric fanfiction out of here.

Great idea, Zeus hand them America, to be rediscovered two thousands years later.

and two thousand years later the original humans discover this new breed along with deadly gargantuans that the titans have created

I love how Jupiter, a dude who's dad tried to eat him, ate his siblings, and who had himself consumed his own spouse, gets really fucking indignant when Lycon tricks him into eating human. He makes a big deal out of how wrong it is and how evil and perverse, and how while the men of the iron age had been bad thus far that was the transgression that demanded the great flood, but one kinda gets the feeling that he's mostly upset that he was tricked. He also seems a bit upset because he thinks Lycon is fucked up for thinking he would enjoy eating the man's sons, and a bit upset he didn't think of it first.

So he turns him into an intelligent wolf so he'll go eat more people, because that's a punishment, right?