Maps for mecha combat games

Hey Veeky Forums, I need some maps to use as combat maps for a mech game I'm doing. Cities with buildings, military facilities, etc

Got any good resources? I can't figure out what to google to get what I need.

Pic only partially related unfortunately, this pic would just result in a straight shootout with no cover

Other urls found in this thread:

megamek.org/downloads
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do a search on "Monsterpocalypse maps" and you should be able to find something usable.

>Monsterpocalypse maps
fuck yeah awesome thanks

Hmmmm unfortunately most of these seem to have a bunch of weird icons all over them.

Because they're for a wargame. I suppose one could just cut and paste another grid square over them, right?

Maybe so. Not to be ungrateful but they're also pretty brightly colored and kinda board-gamey. I'm looking for more for a more urban sci-fi aesthetic. Something for a different war game would be fine, but most of the war game mats I've seen don't have any buildings in place in the pictures because they're just the mat.

I googled battletech map packs when I ran a mecha game and found a place with multiple gb of hex maps and map parts.

I then proceeded to use none of them, but maybe you can find them out there.

Will look, thanks

bump

Sometimes I use maps from modern video games for that. This one is from Stalker I believe and would work great if you put a grid over it.

It boggles my mind that nobody made a program that uses the map scale in Google Maps to make grid/hex overlays.

Though I have tried the same "Video game maps for game maps" idea, though my source material goes a little further back.

Shit yeah nice that looks awesome. Roll20 provides the grid too, all I need is images. Wonder what game has some good maps of a cityscape... Battlefield maybe?

Though the mention of cityscapes has me thinking.

Many older games that used the paper maps focused heavily on wilderness. Forests, Mountains, etc. Modern gamers seem to focus their attention really heavily on urban environments.

I wonder when the turning point was between the two, and if there was something that triggered it...

Battlefield would work if you can find the 2D maps for it. If it's too small you can try intelligent upscaling. I don't know of there's anything specially made for maps and realistic illustrations but waifu2x should give moderately bad/good outcomes.

Some of them have this disgusting blue tint tho.

megamek.org/downloads
MegaMek (Computer Battletech) Has a map editor that is gold for this sort of stuff, I'll post a few of mine

I'm not sure but I've noticed that all the battletech stuff I've been finding has been for non-urban environments too.

Damn, nice. I'll check that out.

This looks pretty good though, what'd you search for to find it?

They also have a partial Isometric Setting, which makes height differences easy to see, but is harder to use on Roll20

And you can roughly use it for planetary Icosahedron-net maps

[XYZGAME] Overview Map
[XYZGAME] 2D Map
[XYZGAME] Worldmap
[XYZGAME] Levelmap

Then find something that looks good and check with tineye and google image reverse search for bigger variants.

Niiiice, thanks.

It's a combination of a few things.

One, is the original lore had set fighting in urban areas and causing lots of collateral damage in the age of crumbling industry being akin to a war crime, so you had a lot of "Meeting on the battlefield" rather than walking into urban centers. It still applies in the lore, but most people ignore that because muh urban combat and/or warcrimes create tension.

A second reason is that while hexes are a bit clunky for urban cityscapes (They take up lots of road room and don't leave a lot of space for buildings), they're really good at creating organic-feeling landscapes. Early games had players fighting over really mundane-sounding stuff like clean water, but when you're living on a space rock, that stuff is liquid gold.

Interesting. Cool though.