Slav Settings

How do you do a setting based mostly off of Slavic countries and folklore? Whether fantasy, sci-fi, or whatever else there is.

As long as it goes deeper then "baba yaga lmao", then here is where we talk about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Russian_Folk-Tales/The_Legless_Knight_and_the_Blind_Knight
books.google.com.br/books?id=ad1AAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA248&lpg=PA248&dq=baba yaga breasts&source=bl&ots=xtJuSEZ5qn&sig=HI31eWb8rE3xSRUjZ7MYeiGQAqw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq9ta-9bXTAhVNziYKHcj7DF4Q6AEIMzAE#v=onepage&q=baba yaga breasts&f=false
napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Russian_army.htm
highgatefleetsystems.com/wiki/index.php?title=Soviet_Union
unikaz.asia/en/eternal/myths-legends
edgekz.com/kazakhstans-rich-history-of-folk-tales-and-their-heroes/
en.tengrinews.kz/cinema_and_music/Collection-of-Kazakh-epos-cartoons-released-in-Kazakhstan-26539/
store.steampowered.com/app/378720/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>traditional slavic wool carpet
user, wool carpets were made traditionally in Central Asia and Persia. They made really beautiful colorful carpets.

One could go deeper about Baba Yaga.

Like, which of them you prefer?

Is it the sister which likes to lick the fair titties of maidens?

>Is it the sister which likes to lick the fair titties of maidens?
Tell me more, comrade

>"She hangs her head down over me and sucks my white breast."
>"Oh," said the blind man, "that is the Bába Yagá! Wait a little bit. We must deal with her in her own fashion. To-morrow we must not go hunting: we will try to catch her in the house and to capture her."
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Russian_Folk-Tales/The_Legless_Knight_and_the_Blind_Knight

This version is slightly different:
books.google.com.br/books?id=ad1AAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA248&lpg=PA248&dq=baba yaga breasts&source=bl&ots=xtJuSEZ5qn&sig=HI31eWb8rE3xSRUjZ7MYeiGQAqw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq9ta-9bXTAhVNziYKHcj7DF4Q6AEIMzAE#v=onepage&q=baba yaga breasts&f=false

Also, another tale says there are three Yaga sisters, and one can't distinguish which is which

Also, I posted , but it isn't really complete.When ii comes to Russia, things often are bleak, but their tales can be quite cheerful, as if to counteract reality. It seems like a sense of "heh, what can be done about it but drink and be merry?"

That "Mythic Russia" suplement shows it better. Even the russian army during the Napoleonic Wars shown it:

>"If the Frenchmen had the firmness and the docility of the Russians
the world not be great enough for me." - Napoleon

>Russia was torn between Asia and Europe and only sparsely settled. The vast land together with the long winters produced the melancholy and mystery not felt in any other country. According to Paul Austin when in 1812 Napoleon's army entered Russia, the troops were "a bit frightened at the sight of so sparsely populated and poverty-stricken a countryside. Dedem finds himself in 'a desert' ... Bonnet of the 18th Regiment of Line Infantry, Ney's III Army Corps ... is shocked to see how the peasants' clothing consists of only "a shirt, a pair of coarse cloth trousers, a hooded cloak of sheepskin and some kind of a fur cap." ... As for their villages, they're even more squalid than the Polish ones. ... General Claparede, writes home to his young bride: 'The inhabitants and their houses are very ugly and extremely dirty, and the latter only differ from the peasants' log cabins in possessing a chimney or two.'" (Austin - "1812 The March on Moscow" p 59)

napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Russian_army.htm
A Not!-Russia, either fantasy or sci-fi, would have uncountable natural resources but not enough infrastructure to exploit it. Because it has a huge hostile territory. In sci-fi, it could be the galatic core, full of rare elements and lethal radiation, or perhaps rogue planets, airless for the entire atmosphere is frozen and geothermal havens.

This also has an soviet faction:
highgatefleetsystems.com/wiki/index.php?title=Soviet_Union

nigga he's blind how does he know that's baba yaga

Everyone knows Baba Yaga but nobody gives the time of day to Koschei the Immortal.

For how much Veeky Forums loves liches, skeletons, and pervy wizards, you think he'd get more facetime.

How would a Cossack behave? Would they smile as little as the rest of the Russians do?

Fuck no.
Cossacks are a carefree, chaotic neutral kind of deal.
Read the cossack letter to the sultan.
Look at the picture for it.
Read the letter.
Uber christian jesters with swords.

>not this again

Cossacks = cowboys/pioneers for all your practical purposes.

Nigga, he's the main antagonist of Dr Who

>Slav Settings

This means nothing. I think you mean to ask "How do you do a setting based mostly off of Russia?"

A setting based upon Polish or Czechoslovak history and folklore will be pretty much the same as a setting based upon Germany.

The Master is just named after him

>A setting based upon Polish history and folklore will be pretty much the same as a setting based upon Germany.
Fuck off

>Polish setting
>anywhere near the same as a German setting

Are you trolling or genuinely that ignorant?

Yeah I agree with you there.

It's like how people say there's a difference between Japanese and Chinese settings.

Like, dude, they're both Asian right?

Do the Caucuses count as slavs

Amazing question, I suppose you're banned on google?

It's drastically different from the rest of slavland. It was more "do you want to include shit from here, or just make fantasy Russia"

It's not slavland in the least. As Slavic as India is British.

Nobody ever remembers the South Slavs, feels bad man.
On the other hand, whenever we're remembered, it's as Middle Eastern looking guys who wear military uniforms 24/7 and carry huge knives.
So please keep on not remembering us.

Speaking of south slavs, anyone here who knows about Khazakstani folklore?

My parents are from there but culturally they were pretty much russians and so were the stories I've been told as a child (Baba Yaga and etc.), I'd love to know if the rest of the country had any interesting lore, or can I just assume it's basic middle eastern stuff and just look up that?

>Speaking of south slavs, anyone here who knows about Khazakstani folklore?

>This shit

Fuck off and stop wanking yourself you burger eating fuck

You're all forgetting the most important slavic god

Common misunderstanding, really.
The first thing people think of when Poland is mentioned is cavalry charging hopelessly against tanks and the second is UK outsourcing their plumbers, but the first one actually Veeky Forums related would be Witcher by Sapkowski. And Witcher setting mixes Slav folk lore together with German one by pretty much equal measures. So if people base their idea of Poland on Witcher, they see similarity with Germany.

That's not Triglaw

People hear "Slavic" and they think that describes some kind of unified race, with a distinct culture, when really it's just a linguistic classification. The religion, material culture, and social organization of Poland and Bohemia (since Christianity) have been similar to that of the Holy Roman Empire/Germany. The Kingdom of Bohemia was PART OF the HRE, as were many Slavic-speaking lands in what is now Poland. Basically everyone in eastern Germany are descended from speakers of western Slavic languages (Polabians, Sorbians, Wends, Pomeranians, etc) who became acculturated to the German language. There has always been tremendous cultural crossover.

No, they are not identical, but aside from languages, they are far, far more similar to one another than Poland is to Russia. (And even then, Polish and Russian aren't mutually comprehensible). I would say that Medieval Poland and Germany are at least as similar as Medieval Germany and France. We wouldn't say that Medieval France and Germany are exactly identical, but we could very easily group them within the same cultural sphere, to the point that a setting based upon one would be interchangeable with the other in basically any respect except language.

As this user mentions:
...a setting based upon Serbia or Croatia wouldn't have any real affinity with a "Slavic setting" either. And Medieval Bulgarians would have had more in common with Greeks and Romanians than with any other Slavic people (except for Serbians).

Does pic related look more similar to Catholic European costume and armament, or to Russian? Or look at the old architecture of Poland or Czechoslovakia; it is the same as what you would find in Germany or Austria. (or Hungary, for that matter)

Such a damn shame about the Russofication. Central Asia was comfy as fuck in between the time the steppe tribes stopped being a threat and the Russian invasion.

In times before Christianisation polish slavs were living mainly from the land. They rised cows, chickens, ducks and geese. Most of clothing was made from hemp and flax. Mineral resources were scarce. Most important farm animals for them were cows. Honey was produced in large quantities and was considered very precious commodity. Theres even saing in polish describing affluent countries as "A land where honey and milk flows". There was no wine. Slavs drank mead and beer. Slavic faith was animistic in nature. Slavs revered trees, rivers, lakes, big rocks and weather phenomena (imagine Wild Hunt from Witcher 3, yeah, that was a thing - "Dziki Łów"). They were leaving food and alcohol for their deceased and minor lokal gods - fairies, nymphs and stuff like that. Some researchers argue that one of the greatest gods in slavic pantheon was a thunder diety similar to Thor ( Perun). Before Christianisation people were cremated after death. Slavs also belived that people who were evil in their lives would rise as a wampires.

I could try to write down some of polish legends i know, but it would probably need ages with my mediocre english.

In short theres a lot of similarities between Slavic, Celtic and Germanic people as they came from the same praIndoEuropean roots. Main difference between them came from sort of influences they took from other cultures. When you want to depict Slavs, try to imagine Celts but without stone architecture, less industry and closer relation with woodlands.

Also, i advise you guys to search for "Privisa". Picrel

Crap, not enough grammar check!

>try to imagine Celts but without stone architecture

...?

The only Celtic-speaking peoples to have made use of stone architecture on any meaningful scale were Iron Age Gauls and other celtic-speakers living nearer to the Mediterranean. And even then, it was pretty much just limited to fortifications.

Unless you're talking about Stonehenge and other megalithic structures, in which case, those were built long before (at least a millennia or two) before anyone speaking Celtic (or a precursor) ever showed up.

Edit:

Or unless you want to include Pictish Brochs, which I guess also counts, but those were quite small and rudimentary.

Eh, I sorta understand them. "Slavic" evokes a spirit similar to that you feel when you hear "Germanic". There's an inescapable "-ness" that pervades them all an an ethnolinguisrtic group.

Not quite vikings or goths or anglo-saxons or franks in particular, but their general air. The feeling that in the end destiny says you're fucked, but who cares? That you're not entirely fearless, but you'll face your inevitable defeat with courageous fury. In the end love, honour, beauty, courage would come to nothing, but they were worth fighting for anyway, not because they would win, but because they were right. Northern legend is gloomy and yet has this sense of existentialism.

Only a Northern people living in close proximity to Arctic ice-fields could have conceived of a chaos-gulf bounded on the north by a cold and darksome Nifelheim, and on the south by a warm and bright Muspelheim. Life begins to be when and where the ice-blocks are thawed. The gods and their doings are also coloured by their Scandinavian environment. "Light-battles" and fierce Nature-wars are emphasized in a land of pronounced seasonal changes. No matter whence certain deities; were imported, here in the land of long winter nights they are acclimatized and naturalized. They contend against indigenous frost-giants; they fight and then become the allies of indigenous Vana-gods; they visit a sea-folk's terrible storm-god Æger in his hall at the sea bottom; they acquire northern temperaments and become fatalists like all seafarers, ancient and modern.

I think you could confidently say that Slavs have a "Slavicness"to them as well.

There's a lot of difference between various slav mythologies. South slavs =/= west slavs =/= east slavs.
I'm assuming you're asking about those east slavs that are Russians now - well, if we take the 19th century fabrications and fairy tales out of the picture, then we have what looks like a bland knock-off of the Scandinavian mythology. What could make it interesting is in fairy tales, which were created far later than the original myths.
We could also go ham and just mix all of the slavic mythologies into one.

I get what you're saying (and appreciate the romanticism), but the feeling you describe is just that: a feeling, with little grounding in fact, and based mostly on 19th century nationalism. Austrians have more in common with Hungarians or northern Italians than they do with Swedes, despite their mutual "Germanicness," just as Bulgarians are far more akin to Romanians than they are to "fellow Slavs" such as Poles.

Пoшёл нaхyй, мyдилa.
Fuck yourself, cunt.
Your fucking "USSR countries = Slavland" meme should stay in /pol/, burgerfat.
Answering your fucking question, here are some links:
unikaz.asia/en/eternal/myths-legends
edgekz.com/kazakhstans-rich-history-of-folk-tales-and-their-heroes/
en.tengrinews.kz/cinema_and_music/Collection-of-Kazakh-epos-cartoons-released-in-Kazakhstan-26539/

Actual South slav myths are pretty based and quite unique.

I'm thinking about the core history, before cultural diffusion

Dawaj po polsku, przetłumaczymy i zrobimy pastebina ku oświacie userów.

I am not sure what the first half of your post is supposed to mean or who it is directed at (was it me for calling Khazakstan "slavic"?) but thanks for the links.

Poland has no more in common with Germany than it does with Russia.
>but muh religion
It's just one thing, and Polish interpretation of Catholicism is different from the German interpretation, MUCH more mixed with pagan tradition.

My nigger.

Whose running the fucking country if you all are in here?

srs question plz do not deport

No one. The government doesn't really function anyway.

Wild Hunt is explicitly a germanic thing, if ever if was present as a legend in the slavlands it was through diffusion.

>Before Christianisation people were cremated after death.
Everything was cremated, corpses, trash, waste. This is how Slavic settlements, though primitive, were much cleaner and smelled much better than the Western cities. That, and regular bathing for everyone.

It was a mix of cleanliness and the Slavs having always had an extreme fear of the dead not staying in the grave

Thea: The Awakening might be similar to what you're looking for.

store.steampowered.com/app/378720/