Weird liches

What's the most unusual/weirdest type of lich?
Pic kinda of related: a lich(she is more like a ghost in the anime) that is a shopkeeper. Also boobs for attention.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/51490413/#51490413
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Atomic Lich

An old, recurring NPC of mine in many of my campaigns is an ancient bridge troll lich, based somewhat on A Troll in Central Park. Usually tens of thousands of years old, often having existed even before some of the mortal races.

Thing is, he still has his flesh and is in a constant state of regrowing it. Has a black thumb, too, as reference to his inspiration, that effectively does the exact opposite of Stanley's. Otherwise, he's True Neutral, leaning toward Law, and is often associated with certain human monarchies, having helped established their rule in the past as a means of lasting asylum.

>Pic kinda of related: a lich(she is more like a ghost in the anime) that is a shopkeeper. Also boobs for attention.
She's not exactly a traditional lich, but when you take a moment to think about it she's not too implausible. Sure, we all know she has to be a pretty girl to get the attention of Japanese otaku, but it's not beyond what I imagine a lich would look like. Liches are powerful mages, bound to a state of undeath through forbidden magic. In fantasy they usually end up being skeletons because their flesh had decayed and only the skeleton remains through the dark arts. But if such a lich would choose to preserve her fleshy body for whatever reason (her reason could be as simple as vanity or as justified as wanting to blend in with normal humans) it would be peanuts for her. Even if we approach this in D&D terms "gentle repose" is a 2nd level spell. It lasts ten days, so she could cast it every week to preserve her body in the same way lying whores apply make-up every morning.

In other words, she could be a legit traditional lich. The skeleton is just hiding inside of the body just like the skeleton hiding in yours

We've had this thread.

boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/51490413/#51490413

Even D&D liches can maintain their flesh by feeding souls to their phylactery.

Two to three stories tall and it eats more souls to get bigger

Your man from the Maze of the Blue Medusa.
Normally, Liches can't fall in love, they're all bony and heartless. However, this particular lich was exposed to a (dead) woman who had a magical aura that makes all who see her fall in love with her.
Naturally, the lich fell skull over tibia in love, which ain't natural. Or at least unnaturally natural.
His aura of death and despair was replaced by an aura of life, which caused the gardens which he unlives in to become a sprawling jungle, inhabited by intelligent (and vicious) plant creatures.

He wants her ghost so he can resurrect and marry her, of course.

The Limestone Lich specializes in controlling millions long dead microscopic lifeforms that make the rocks beneath your feat. A marble column is putty in his hands. Basically any calcite derivative comes from tiny plankton and similar creatures depositing their shells on the seafloor over a long period of time.

As a geology student, this post really made me happy

There's so much potential with weird rock/fossil related magic

>What's the most unusual/weirdest type of lich?
Mahou Shoujo.

I had a reverse lich. The lich had a constructed inorganic body as his new body, but it contained one particular internal organ of himself as his phylactery.

I'm posting a Konosuba meme.

So D&D Liches are only evil because they never looked for a way besides feeding innocent souls to their phylactery to keep them looking good.

How did he learn such control?

I once ran a game where the party found an ancient lab. Within was an early, prototype for a Time Vault. Inside, they figured that out quickly.

Inside the vault was a skeleton playing a tabletop roleplay game with several illusions of himself, dice, and paper. The skeleton dismissed all of them when he realized the door was open, ran over, and hugged the adventurers while crying. Turns out, he accidently got locked inside a faulty vault and had spent ten thousand years in there.

He doesn't know how he's still "alive", and mostly just runs the nearby Magic Item Shop these days. If the PCs would have survived the tomb they went in right afterward, he was going to be a recurring helpful NPC. He still is, but outside of the Players, no one realizes what the Magic Item guy secretly is under that hood...

ETERNALLY 20 YEARS OLD

Clerical liches.

yeah, Veeky Forums seriously forgets these are a thing. Which is stupid, really, considering how powerful a clerical rich can be in comparison to a wizard. Miracle doesn't cost anything and can be used to duplicate 90% of wizard/sorcerer spells.

>feeding innocent souls

No one mentioned innocent souls tho?
Can I just feed my phylactery goblin or orc souls?
And if the innocent part is so important I will just start a goblin/orc/whatever-evil-humanoids-the-setting-has breeding farm and just feed the souls of their babies to my phylactery.
There. I perform your average adventurer-shit while keeping the evil humanoid population down.
Why are Lichs called evil again?

>I'm posting a Konosuba meme.
You are like little baby. Watch this!

Yeah but most Clerics would rather just die and serve their God in the Afterlife rather than chill around in a dead body.

Also in D&D Clerics tend to become Mummies instead

One of these semen demons is not like the others,
One of these schlong sorceresses doesn't belong,
Can you tell which man-milk Mephistopheles is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Which one?

I'm guessing Wiz.

>Why are Lichs called evil again?

Because liches have to do extremely evil deeds in order to become a lich. It's never elaborated on.

>The process of becoming a lich is unspeakably evil and can be undertaken only by a willing character.

Boom. That's why. Because you have to do evil shit. Evil shit that's so evil that nobody's comfortable talking about it. Like maybe sacrificing a bunch of innocent babies. Or worse, torturing a bunch of innocent babies for as long as your phylactery exists.

Baelnorns are considered 'good' liches, in that they have some hidden way to become non-evil versions, possibly granted by a god or something. They're essentially the elven equivalent of that old elder who knows all of the ancient lore, or ones who have been bound to protect some place... Or ones who teach snot-nosed brats.

... Or more like a professor who has tenure, except it's for existence rather than a job. God knows that professors with tenure never die, so Baelnorns are just the natural conclusion to that.

>Like maybe sacrificing a bunch of innocent babies. Or worse, torturing a bunch of innocent babies for as long as your phylactery exists.
My point still stands. I can substitute Goblin or Orc babies.

Either it's not evil, in which case the lich ritual doesn't work because it's powered by unspeakably evil acts, or it is evil and you're an evil lich.

Baelnorns also spend most of their time in the afterlife and only return to their bodies when absolutely necessary.

But yeah, the process of becoming a Lich requires unspecified evil magic, at least in the D&D verse.

>Either it's not evil, in which case the lich ritual doesn't work because it's powered by unspeakably evil acts, or it is evil and you're an evil lich.

Sooooo Schrödinger's Lich?

>Because liches have to do extremely evil deeds in order to become a lich. It's never elaborated on.
Van Richten's Guide to the Lich has some stuff about it. I believe the ritual detailed required killing an unicorn and sacrificing one of your friends.

If gentle repose is one of the spells used during the ritual, it could be permanent.

Not exactly a type, but I did have one lich who liked to entertain "guests" by forcing them to sit through tea parties with him and his minions, or puppet shows using fresh copses as marionettes.

He became a recurring annoyance for one group in particular. They never could figure out the phylactery, even though I dropped some big hints, and he refused to kill the party because they were his "friends."

Yeah, he was a Facebook stalker...

25 is darkness
26/27 yunyun
46/47 megumin
64 Wiz
100 aqua

Good news, Carlos! I've decided not to deport you!

hmm

What? No. What the fuck? Nobody's talking about superpositions or even ambiguity. Shut up.

Alright, 64 is clearly wiz, and the darkness and yunyun ones I could buy, even with their elf ears, but those others look nothing like megumin/aqua.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei

In Slavic folklore, Koschei (Russian: Кoщéй, tr. Koshchey; IPA: [kɐˈɕːej], also Kashchei or Kashchey; Ukrainian: Кocтiй, Kostiy; Polish: "Kościej"; Czech: "Kostěj") is an archetypal male antagonist, described mainly as abducting the hero's wife. In Vitali Vitaliev's book Granny Yaga he is described as tall and although in excellent health, extremely, almost inhumanly, thin. The author then explains that Koshchei—in the old Krivichi dialect—means "skeleton". In book illustrations, cartoons and cinema he has been most frequently represented as a very old and ugly-looking man. Koschei is also known as Koschei the Deathless (Russian: Кoщéй Бeccмépтный, Ukrainian: Кocтíй Бeздýшний or Кoщíй Бeзcмépтний, Czech: Kostěj nesmrtelný), as well as Tsar Koschei. As is usual in transliterations, there are numerous other spellings, such as Koshchei, Kashchej and Kaschei. The spelling in Russian and other Slavic languages (like Polish "Kościej" or Czech "Kostěj") suggests that his name may be derived from the word kost' (Rus. кocть, Pol. kość), meaning "bone", implying a skeletal appearance.

(cont.)

Koschei cannot be killed by conventional means targeting his body. His soul (or death) is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest (sometimes the chest is crystal and/or gold), which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan in the ocean. As long as his soul is safe, he cannot die. If the chest is dug up and opened, the hare will bolt away; if it is killed, the duck will emerge and try to fly off. Anyone possessing the egg has Koschei in their power. He begins to weaken, becomes sick, and immediately loses the use of his magic. If the egg is tossed about, he likewise is flung around against his will. If the needle is broken, Koschei will die.

At least by dnd rules destroying/feeding on a soul is an inherently evil act regardless of the alignment of the soul.

>Because liches have to do extremely evil deeds in order to become a lich. It's never elaborated on.
>Boom. That's why. Because you have to do evil shit. Evil shit that's so evil that nobody's comfortable talking about it. Like maybe sacrificing a bunch of innocent babies. Or worse, torturing a bunch of innocent babies for as long as your phylactery exists.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
The whole "must commit unspeakable evil act" requirement is literally demon propaganda to trick people into damning their souls.
Boom, you're a moronic demon cuck.

Or you could just preserve your body with simple magic instead of being That Guy and subjecting the whole group to your edgemeister fantasies about having a sadistic slave-murder breeding camp to fuel dark magics but throw a fit if anyone calls you evil.

Only 64 is correct.
100 is especially wrong, she shows up later in the VN during the Iris-Cult Festivities.

>The whole "must commit unspeakable evil act" requirement is literally demon propaganda to trick people into damning their souls.

Sure, sure. It's not as if the book literally says that becoming a lich is evil or anything.

>Boom. That's why. Because you have to do evil shit. Evil shit that's so evil that nobody's comfortable talking about it. Like maybe sacrificing a bunch of innocent babies. Or worse, torturing a bunch of innocent babies for as long as your phylactery exists.
For some reason I can see different liches learning of one another's different lichdom rituals, and judging each other as needlessly barbaric and wasteful.

Sure, sure. It's not as if there are multiple types of good liches and books literally say that you don't have to be evil to be a lich.
But I'm sure you skimmed the latest edition of the monster manual or something so you know everything there is to know about dnd.

Retard.

That's the thing. We're talking about liches.

As in, the evil ones. Not Baelnorns, or Archliches, or any other special snowflake version out there. A lich is defined by three things- The whole phylactery thing, the undead thing, and the evil thing. If it's missing the phylactery thing, then it's not a lich- it's a Mummy or Vampire or whatever. If it's missing the undead thing, then it's not a lich- it's still alive, after all. If it's missing the evil thing, then it's not a lich, it's a Baelnorn, or Archlich.

See, people tend to organize things by what they actually are. It'd be like saying you want to be an elf, but without the pointy ears, lifespan, resistance to enchantment, or any of those things. Or saying you want to be a wizard who doesn't cast spells, but just runs around and stabs shit with a sword.

I've been fascinated by these monks that engage in self-mummification, and have long pondered what kind of undead they may be.
Since in D&D monks can still die of old age, even high level characters might be tempted to seek a form of immortality instead of just reincarnating. Instead, they choose a different path.
I'd like their kind to be mostly good, with a few rare examples of evil individuals. Usually their choice to stay when they would otherwise die and reincarnate somewhere else is made from compassion for the monks students and people that rely on their teachings.
While some of these undead become influential teachers with many followers, others wander the world spreading wisdom.
Instead of having a phylactery, their soul is kept alive by attaching it to a mantra which they live their life by.

>we're talking about devils, not chain devils or pit fiends
They're all liches, there are just sub-catagories too like dry liches.
Are you literally autistic or are you just so insecure that you have to be needlessly pedantic to attempt some "technical victory" at online shitposting?

>They're all liches
with different names, different powers, different ways of becoming liches

so basically, they're not liches at all, just vaguely related, just like a vampire and a lich are related because they're both undead

>so basically, they're not liches at all
So you are autistic.

Liches are largely inspired by and their hidden soul is their defining trait.

As you yourself pointed out there are plenty of other evil undead like vampires.
The only thing that separates a lich from any other undead or just evil spellcaster is the whole soul thing despite you insisting that evil is some inseparable fundamental element regardless of any canon contradictions because that's what serves your argument.

Be wary user, I got banned for a day for that on /v/. Because apparently rolling is allowed on /pol/ but nowhere else.

>Liches are largely inspired
we are now specifically talking about D&D liches user
keep up with the conversation will you

Ok now I can't tell if you're autistic or shitposting.
Congrats I guess.

not an argument

Ok, shitposting.
Great contribution to the thread, I'll stop responding now.

feel free to leave when you've run out of arguments

>A monk manages to keep his soul attached to his body by sheer force of will after death.

I like it, they could be undead animated by Law instead of Evil.

why do people make their memes with low quality images?

I don't know, but I at least appreciate those who are a little creative with memes, rather than just shoving the exploitable onto something and calling it a day.

They actually do meet a traditional lich in the dungeon in s2 iirc

>rather than just shoving the exploitable onto something and calling it a day
What did he mean by this?

How disgusting. Complete and utter bullshit in my eyes. Can I still play the game while talking to (You)?

Eberron has the Undying Counselors and Ascendant Counselors, who are like this.