Fictional setting quirks that are annoying

>Every name is a first and last name, across cultures and species.
>No endoynyms or exonyms which leads to stuff like Dwarves calling themselves "dwarfs" instead of that being a pejorative name
>Common people are atheist or irreligious despite objective fact of deities existing
>No areas of linguistic diversification and local dialects
>One lingua franca over numerous continents
>Every species has just one culture, except for humans of course
>Equatorial crops like tobacco and potatoes being farmed in notEurope or found there despite no trade links with equatorial regions
>Maritime climate found deep inland
>"elf spearmen" or "dwarf axemen" instead of spearelves and axedwarves
>Clearly closely related hominid races that cannot produce fertile offspring such as dwarfs and humans
>Usage of "race" when referring to entirely unrelated species such as minotaurs and goblins
>Magic as just a language

Other urls found in this thread:

conan.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperborea
youtube.com/watch?v=hyry8mgXiTk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Fictional setting not following real-world history and biology
Contain your autism.

>hurr fantasy shouldn't follow the laws of reality on the most basic level XDD

Ok, let's do a quick run-down, shall we?
Just like modern world
>No endoynyms or exonyms which leads to stuff like Dwarves calling themselves "dwarfs" instead of that being a pejorative name
And black people call themselves black, so?
>Common people are atheist or irreligious despite objective fact of deities existing
The fact the God exist still doesn't force you in any way to believe in them and/or be a religious person
Oh the joys of widespread education
I'm a Slav posting on anonymous imageboard using English, judging by the hour, you aren't native English user either and my GM for internet games is a Jap speaking English... what's your deal?
That's actually shit world-building, you've got a point
>Equatorial crops like tobacco and potatoes being farmed in notEurope or found there despite no trade links with equatorial regions
Since it's not a real-world setting, it's literally not an issue.
Examples, or you are pulling this one from your ass
Now you are obtuse on purpose. Do you even realise it only works in English, you fucking inbreed, and it's a way of how the language works?
>Clearly closely related hominid races that cannot produce fertile offspring such as dwarfs and humans
What are mules IRL?
>Usage of "race" when referring to entirely unrelated species such as minotaurs and goblins
What is naming convention
And that's one of the best language systems imaginable, so?

In short - you are fucking retarded

*best magic systems

>what does "fantasy" mean

Seriously, your autism is too much.

what setting have this as an element?
In most fantasy setting the populations of elves and dwarves are usually low enough that this is believable, especially when combined with the fact that longer lifespans would result in slower cultural evolution and, by extension, diversification
races looking similar is no indication of genetic compatibility, especially in a setting where divine creation is a thing

>Just like modern
You have revealed an insane amount of ignorance and stupidity
>And black
And yet, Nigger is still a bad word to say
>The fact
That's not why people worship God you sperg. It's for self interest and the truth. People in the medieval times were superstitious and extremely religious and some people today are still religious but no god makes them do so.
>Oh
Not a point
>Slav using English
This is the modern-era, a time of mass media and information easily transmittable through the internet, do you really think that compares to the technology and information transfer of the Medieval ages even with magic?
>Since
Not an argument
>Maritime climate
Pretty much all of Eriador or Rohan in LOTR has weather and climate like western Europe. In fact, in nearly any fantasy setting the good guys have weather like Britain or France, regardless of how far in land
>Now
If I can say it in English, then fix your language or shut up since this only applies to languages this can work with.
>What
The difference between mules and horses is far more than the average difference between dwarfs and humans, but this is in a low fantasy context, like all these points are.
>What is
The point is proper naming convention
>Magic
The point is that magic shouldn't be words and sounds, it should be energy that comes from somewhere hence divine magic or extradimensional magic.

>I am the final arbiter of good taste
Fuck yourself and die.

kek
>projecting insecurities onto an imaginary claim

Sweet. My setting dodges all of these.

Though being a human only setting means I'm cheating.

Explain your setting

Holy shit you're worse than OP.

It's not particularly unique in any way. It's just renaissance instead of the more typical medieval and happens to avoid all of OP's issues.

Tobacco comes from the south, every region has basic language rules I only enforce for my own ease, magic operates in practice like it does in the most generic settings but it's math done by equation instead of script.

I'm big on the execution over originality mindset. Also I hate most non-humans so it was easier to blanket ban than make a list.

I don't understand what you mean.
That's not a quirk, that's lazy worldbuilding
Makes perfect sense. They just see them not as gods, but as immensely powerful asssholes.
That simply doesn't come up.
So, like real life?
Maybe you should throw your frame of reference into the trash and accept that they are, in fact, NOT equatorial in that setting?
How does that even come into play?
Man = male
Except in most settings they can produce offspring? Besides, they're likely not related. They're anthropomorphic because the gods who created them are anthropomorphic.
Where in the world were minotaurs or goblins ever considered the same race?
Uh, what?

I hope you're trolling, because these are genuinely super autistic complaints.

>pic related
>Conanverse
But Conan takes place in (a fantastic variant of) our world, doesn´t it? Isn´t Conan an IE from modern Anatolia (like the GEoM)?

>Bitches about fictional setting not following "laws of reality"
>Can't even into entry-tier evolutionary biology

Nice. My setting dodges or directly tackles each of these issues.

>>Every name is a first and last name, across cultures and species.
This one is kinda obtuse, but by culture family names are generaly different from given names

>>No endoynyms or exonyms which leads to stuff like Dwarves calling themselves "dwarfs" instead of that being a pejorative name
People generalize other cultures so they call elve,s elves, but the elves call themselves by what nation they are from.

Gods are not a material thing in my setting, and religions vary from nation to nation. Common folk from lesser developed nations are far more theistic than developed nations even. Quality of life general gives rise to secularism

I never explored this one so much in this book, though I did have a scene where one of the protags speaks a language and finds out she has an agressive accent when she hears a native speak.

Language varries from nation to nation in my setting as well. Its a big plot point in the story as well. A translator kicks off a battle by intentionally mis-translating words between two lords.

Varries greatly from nation to nation. Now the only non human culture that was represented was one elven kingdom, but each kingdom is different from the others. even "wood elves" and the such are not called "wood elves" they are a different tribe or nation.

Never got into the agricultural side of things, though I did make a note to state that certain fruits and foods were harder to come by because of the locations the protags were in.

Historical Cimmerians lived in South Russia.

Nuuuhhh, stop disturbing my headcanon. I´m currently writing a story about the Emps in 2050 or 2060, where he at one point chuckles at a Conan book, bcs the stuff was based on his real adventures.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this

I address this. Elves call themslevs spearelves and things. I even like to address this with tongue and cheek bits like the one of the protags says she's not a woman, she's an elfess.

In certain parts of the world dwarves went extinct when they found out humans and dwarves could breed successfully. Elves and humans can only interbreed to a certain extent and the offspring is always sterile Most racial interbreeding is more cultural based as most races view the other as animals. Example drow are viewed by humans as a wild animal like a panther or something. The elves currently see humans as apes. As such interbreeding doesn't happen often.

"monsters" don't really exist in the setting

Magic is a bit of a deus ex thing in the setting, but because I wanted to press the philisophical question of " when does magic stop being magic?" Theres a nation that industrialized magic, and simply doesn't believe it exists. When its explainable and quantifiable it ceases to be magic. So when they turn lights on in a building they see electricity, not magic at work.

But magic is not invoked by words or spells, but it CAN be as magic tailors itself to the user in a way. because its lawl magic

>Elves call themslevs spearelves and things.
Why do the elves speak English at all?

Somehow I've never heard of this. I'll take it.

they don't but its assumed in the language present thats how the word is formed. So you get a lot of things that translate out directly when people are speaking in foreign languages presented in the common reading.

Like Theres a part where a drow is referring to her mother as a Queen. Someone responds with " I though the title was a Shal'un or something" the drow responds that its literally the word for queen.

>Just like modern world
China uses 3 names, 1 is family, 1 is familial or something
Iceland still uses patronymic surnames ending in -son or -dottr
Some Indian regions they have 5 names, with a sort of ascending order of familial connection. So the earlier names are more unique to the individual, the later names common in the family and the last is the greater family.
Let's not even go into countries that still use a single given name.

>nobody should be allowed to use this traditional games board to talk about things related to traditional games

>Where in the world were minotaurs or goblins ever considered the same race?
With this point OP was referring to the specific usage of the words 'race' and 'species'. A race is an ethnicity within a species (modern scientifically speaking). So he's saying that if a setting refers to "all these races, the minotaurs, the dryads, the blacks" it's implying they are differing ethnicities of the same species.

I'd say this point and the speardwarf one are the only legit autistic complaints. Everything else is just basic observational ability you would expect of a mentally competent human.

Autism - not even once

Valid point
But most races have thir own endonyms in their languages, and exonyms aren't inherently offensive. A german won't be offended if you call him german and not deutsch
Not really a common thing in world building
Valid point
Valid point
Complaining about it is a bad meme, there are plenty of reasons for that and often it makes actually lot of sense
Except they are farmed in Central Europe now. They just ORIGINATE from the equatorial regions.
t. "i remember something from high-school geography"
As a geologist I can say it's way more complex than you possibly think
Literally autism
While macro-scale things like climate or assuming that something related to complex, processes undetectable for pre-industrial societies, like biology, must apply to fantasy worlds in same exact manner than real world, is just lame. Hell, most of fantasy worlds use four elements instead of atomistic theory which already invalidates all chemistry.
Again, literal autism
Nothing wrong with that. Nothing inherently right as well, matter of taste and what fits the setting.

Granted, this one is usually just laziness on the part of players and GMs, as most common folk in a medieval setting shouldn't have a family name of any kind.
This is an inevitable consequence of the fact that your fantasy setting isn't worth inventing/learning a bunch of conlangs for. Remember how even in Middle-Earth, one of the few fantasy settings that DOES have a bunch of associated conlangs, dwarves still called themselves dwarves and elves still called themselves elves when they were speaking Westron?
What's wrong with that? In the real world we have people who are theist or religious despite the objective fact of deities not existing. It would be just as plausible if it were the other way around.
As above, it's not worth actually learning a bunch of dialects for, and it makes things nigh-unplayable in an RPG.
Once again, unless you want your campaign to be unplayable, you need a contrivance that lets your players actually communicate. Putting them in a land where nobody speaks their language sounds interesting, but trust me, it's not.
Race has meant "species" for at least as long as it has meant "ethnicity."
If it's just a language, it isn't magic. Your complaint is nonsensical.

>And black people call themselves black, so?

That is because they're somehow an "artificial" sub-ethnic division tough. There is no cultural continuity from Africa to modern America, basically.
In Europe we may call them black but even the most racist dumbfuck realize they're nigerians or malians or whatever, for example.

>The fact the God exist still doesn't force you in any way to believe in them and/or be a religious person

It's like not being a "universalgravitylawyer" in our reality. You may shit on rituals, the church, whatevere, but if gods exist they exist, you can't be sane and be an atheist.

>Oh the joys of widespread education

... are very rare in fantasy settings.

>I'm a Slav posting on anonymous imageboard using English, judging by the hour, you aren't native English user either and my GM for internet games is a Jap speaking English... what's your deal?

Well, true, but IRL it's because there was the english empire and because of 'murrica primacy.
A lingua franca makes much sense in what we could call a single "civilization", but in fantasy it's not very common to have an explanation by the means of a cultural/economic powerhouse, even extinct. It's very often some kind of merchant jargon that evolves and I don't think this makes much sense.

>What are mules IRL?

I think OP's point is that it's lazy.

That is the definition of fantasy, yes.

>Barbarian cultures not adopting the culture of the civilization they conquered and assimilating

Fuck everyone who does this

I find that when you ground your setting in realism when you want to do crazy things it gives the story more impetous

Like a dude who kills 100 soldiers in a fight is kinda lame. but when you detail a realistic account of how even a 1v1 fight is challenging and ground it in realism now its no longer a dude doing a fantasy thing, but a truely legendary feat.

And when you want to introduce something incredible its that much more impressive.

>big list of autistic bugbears in generic mass-produced fantasy settings
>elves, dwarves and humans are fine though lol

When did creativity die

That's just your opinion though. I think 1 guy killing 100 dudes is rad as fuck.

Depends tough. If it's 30 years after the invasion, it does make sense.

And you're probably a pleb who thinks World of Warcraft weapon and armor design is cool.

Have you tried not playing D&D?

Logical fallacy by homonym. If that isn't a logical fallacy it should be made one. The word fantasy here is used in two different ways, and you claim that because one of them the second definition should include the first. I say no, sir!

Fantasy as a genre means a made up world that is different from our own. In this way it is similar to the definition you'd like to ascribe to it as something removed from reality. However, for a fantasy world to ring true, to feel real, and be believable it needs to connect in certain ways to the world we know. A fantasy world cannot simply throw out all reason and logic and claim that because it isn't real it doesn't have to abide by those rules. It doesn't, but if it doesn't it also has to give satisfactory answers as to why that isn't.

Oh wow, you sure got me there pal! You've totally swung me over to your side of human-only dirt farmer settings where everyone dies of dysentery. For sure my dude!

When someone calls you stupid they aren't trying to convince you to be smart.

>>Every species has just one culture, except for humans of course
Well, in Hyperborea I can buy it to some extent. Humans are mostly the only species we ever see, and whenever Conan fights against Serpent-Men, or Cave-Dwellers, or Icelanders, or whathaveyou I'm willing to believe that their cultures are so far removed from our own that what Conan, and we as readers, notice are only the surface elements. Their might have very distinct cultures across the world, but we simply aren't well versed enough to tell the difference.

yeah but when its a regular thing, they just run in and kill 100 dudes like its dynasty warriros. It takes away the impetous.

It doesn't make them look strong, it makes the mooks look weak

My setting dodges all this by me just slamming the fucking keyboard.

Happy?

These setting contain magic which can literally change reality and gods that are undeniably existent and fuck with mortals on a regular basis.

I'd be surprised if evolution even exists or is ever addressed in any of these settings, as everything was literally created by multiple gods.

>the setting is boring
It needs to inspire the players to strive for adventure.
>the setting is too complex
We don't want the GM to run on forever about unique cultures and features. I'm guilty of this, sometimes.

It's Hyboria. Anyway I dunno, in most cases REH describes them as degenerates of sort, even if Conan was a fucking xenoantropology student he probably couldn't link them that much to their cultural height (it they even had one, in many cases he fights manbeasts). So yeah, probably not that much to write about anyway.

>now I kinda want a conan story in which he is accompanied by an eager and somewhat useful scholar, who alas is obsessed with the lost races

No. I'm pretty sure its Hyperborea.

conan.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperborea

Apostrophes

No, you're the fucking pleb.

That's the region, not the age/world.

>You have
Not an arguement.
>And yet
Just like "Crakka". Your point?
>That's not why
Pulling this one out of your ass. Gods were worshipped out of fear, then out of tradition. You have no point.> >
>This is the modern-era
Not an arguement.
youtube.com/watch?v=hyry8mgXiTk
And that is even without a single dominant trade nation.
>Not an argument
Not an arguement.
>Pretty much all of Eriador
And you know the exact measurement of distance to the sea. You have no point here.
>If I can say it in English
Then you're missing the point. The point is - not every language is English, and you should take your feeble anglocentric arguement back and hope nobody noticed it.
>The difference between mules and horses is far more than the average difference between dwarfs and humans
Okay, show me the DNA analysis of the dwarf species. Until then, you have no point.
>The point is proper naming convention
What you think of as "proper" shapes up to be hot garbage. You have no point.
>The point is that magic shouldn't be
Magic can be whatever. It's the fantastical element in the story. You have no point.

>mfw my setting is modern fantasy gonzo and takes place in an alternate dimension
>everything can be explained by 'dude alien dimensions' and 'dude psychics that got to such high level they just warp reality whenever they want'
>mfw everyone who ends up in setting just speak the same language for some reason
>also christmas is in every culture

Feels good not to get bogged down in dumb shit.

>tfw no autists in our group that care about the correct soil composition in every hex of the map

Feels good man

>Medieval Fantasy setting
>Everyone has modern views on things like slavery is the most evil thing and gay marriage is A okay.

To be fair tough most "medieval settings" really are nothing like the medieval period.

DND itself is some kind of mish-mash of medieval aesthetics and wild west frontier mentality.

Another example of this could be when my character was made fun of for being illiterate in a setting where there is no free education system and only nobility and the wealthy can afford to invest in an education.