New 40k Edition

OH

BOY

warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/04/ongoing-updates-for-live-40k-qna.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>which will be available
from the get go in handy, low-cost books.
>low cost
:)

Hey the core rules are supposed to be free, they do have that going for them, but they also added ways to play without points... So...

Also, they are really patting themselves on the back about this.

The only fun i have in my life, its over. AGE OF EMPEROR i kill myself.

Do a flip!

So let faggots play without points. What's stopping them from doing that right now anyway?

>tongue-and-cheekly makes fun of autistic sperglords like you
>autistic sperglord thinks they're patting themselves on the back

Boy, you sure have good reading comprehension!

What's the point of autistically screeching when the edition isn't even out? Wait to see if it's shit, if it is then get pissed about it. There's a chance it can be good!

Core rules will be 4 pages like AoS to dumb it down. A lot of people were put off how 'complex' 40k is. From some leaks and talking to my local GW employee, it sounds very simple.

>an FAQ

No one who says it "eff-ayy-cue" can possibly be trustworthy

Effayyk you too buddy

Self aware, still somehow cringey.
>haha we know a lot of you think we're shit

how about growing up ?

Veeky Forums I'm scared

I have read a lot of the 40K books but never played. Am super pumped cause I may actually have the opportunity to get into the hobby now.

For reference, do the SoBs or Imperial Guard make good starting armies?

Guard are unless you like money and well

>still have pewter models
>shittier space marines
>don't even have a coded before 8th drops

You get the drift

There's also chance I'll win the top prize in the lottery and a lingerie model will fall deeply in love with me because of my amazing personality.

>AGE OF EMPEROR
Wait, are they waking up the Emperor?

No

I started with guard. They're alright, although I find you can easily work yourself into a corner if your budget is limited (Infantry armies cost £££ for any kind of decent points cost).

Come on, that joke is hilarious.

AoS books are remarkably cheaper than the 40k variant, so if those old rumors about switching printers and to soft back while lowering prices are true good times ahead.

>we're so ironic
>but we promise not to royally fuck you over.

EA is calling, they say you're stealing their schtick

That's because the AoS books have No Content.

>shitsters of basshole

wow sounds GREAT

Will the N.E be Wargame scale or Skirmish scale? That is the question.

I'm sure GW decided to lower prices because they looked and their books and went: "You know, there just isn't anything in these books, lets charge less." Certainly not what happened in 7th when they replaced art with photos and printed maybe 2 paragraphs of lore that wasn't recycled and still managed to charge the same/more per book.

They're implicitly saying "well, you don't know that you can trust us, you'll just have to wait and see". Which is, you know, fine.

When I see marines this size, I think Skirmish that scales up rather than Wargame the scales down.

Same

It's going to be the same core rules as Necromunda from twenty plus years ago, stretched over a game that has jet fighters in 28mm scale on six foot tables and superheavy tanks.

>SoB
user, i-i... i don't know how to say this

(OP) #
Anyone else just sticking with 7th? My gaming group unanimously decided to stay with 7th Edition. We'd rather not take part in the AoSification of 40k. Why can't GW just listen to their fans for once?

7e is fucking garbage.

7th has killed the local scene. Everyone in my area is cautiously optimistic that the only possible direction to go from here is up.

>Anyone else just sticking with 7th?

My club is waiting to see the new rules before making that decision. 7th edition is shit, but I dislike AoS's rule systems so much I'd rather keep trucking with 7th than move to an AoS'ed 8th. But hopefully it won't come to that.

Fellow nidfags, are you ready for everything to get worse

Because I sure am

>I'm an ork

I don't understand the difference between Open Play and Narrative Play?

They are both "get models you want to use and put them on the table"
One is just suggested to be "Get fluffy army and put it on the table" and the other is "Get any random models and put them on the table" but both are the same in the sense of no point limitation?

I assume this is just taken straight from AoS as I have heard these terms on the streams.

Can anyone verify?

>Everyone complains about Monstrous Creatures being OP in 7th
>GW makes a huge deal about how they've "listened to the fans" when writing 8th
>Carnifexes somehow become even worse

>Why can't GW just listen to their fans for once?
Isn't that what they are trying to do?

7th is literally the worst edition of 40k. 90% of any given codex isn't even usable at this point, all faggots do is spam bullshit formations and riptide because why not. The sooner this turn one skyhammer semi flaccid battle demi decursion formation bullshit is put to a stop the better

I don't think anyone was asking for them to take a huge shit on the setting and focus even more on even more special snowflakey marines. In fact that is the exact opposite of what people wanted.

>mfw hordes of casual sheeple just like this lemming will do the same at the worst time they possibly could
>paying money for 40K: age of smegma

That's what has leaked out?

So... Are they waking up the Emperor or what?

SoB are a meme and were never intended as a full army.

Boy, you sure are projecting!

I like Eldar.
How do I get into tabletop?

t. Fantasy battle player "get off mah lawn"ing new players.

Good deflection, well done. Enjoy wasting away your money on a company that instead of being blatantly disrespectful and incompetent, will now poke fun at their past mistakes while only marginally throwing the customer a bone just to get everyone screaming "their changing for the better hold on and wait and see!"

>it will be shit because i say so, now allow me to shit up the entire board with my garbage!
Top kek (you)s are what you want.

Do you like men too?

well yeah i ain't gay ;)

Im in the hobby to have a good time and put together an army of miniatures I like. I could care less what shitty corporate decisions they make. If you want to pout then Santa wont bring you the new Combi-Bolter you asked for this year.

user, both nids and orkz are at the point where any nerf will make us stronger.

>queerdari player is an actual faggot
WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED MY SIDES

;)

>There's a chance it can be good!

>Why can't GW just listen to their fans for once?
Because GW fans are human garbage.

Is there a way to make the Tyrannids not broken while not making them lame?

Nice try redshirt.

40k id ded.

i love how someone posts this every edition.

>Likes Men
>Isn't gay

>user is a faggot
That's called a woman.

Given that their releases haven't notably improved at all in terms of rules and balance, it's utterly retarded to think they might magically improve suddenly despite it still being same pack of incompetent tardlords writing the rules.

>Local gaming group all the good looking guys play eldar.
>Learn they are pretty much gay.

So I read a AoS guys unit sheets and saw that units have a "to hit" roll and a "to wound" roll. How does this differ from strength vs toughness? Does this mean a certain weapon is as likely to pen a tank as it is an infantryman?

I feel like that wouldn't work in 49k if it was so.

Wasn't age of Sigmar selling way less than what they anticipated?

I remember seeing threads about AoS boxes being sold for clearance prices and nobody bought them anyway.

Maybe that's why the books are cheaper (so they have a larger chance of getting sold in the first place).

>people complain about 40k's rules

Why don't we all, together, write our own rule books?

I mean we could even write rules of xenos that GW hasn't made any rules for.

Tanks will have high armour saves, and lots of wounds. So they're quite 'meaty' compared to infantry, and require either lots of firepower, or powerful firepower to put down. And if they bring across AoS mechanics, stuff like mortal wounds instant kill most infantry, but they'll just chip away at tanks.

Toughness tends to be expressed more in wounds and saves and special rules now. Which is fairly sensible, considering how narrow the likely toughness range was in 40k. 90% of things were either 3, 4, or 5, and a significant amount of to wound rolls were 2+ due to decent strength.

its more likley a woman(man)

Feels like an oversimplification of vehicular combat to me. I'll have to see if they keep armor facings before I make a judgement. It would suck if they didn't keep the Russtough and cheap just because the new system doesn't account for its critically weak rear armor.

By 'listen to their fans' user means 'listen to me'.

What is a "Wo-man"?

Because Veeky Forums is full if even dumber morons than gw.

>assuming that the system will be like AoS because you are drinking the Veeky Forums koolaid
Did you think the fake 6th AND 7th edition corebook leaks were real, too?

Considering they're using something toughness like, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a facing factor to it.
>oversimplification
It's not exactly losing much compared to the present system, though. Something of the randomness, maybe, but remember that diminished functioning is going to be a part of the system.

Yes there's no points in narrative play, but it's not strictly intended for "play with whatever you want". There's more emphasis on campaigns or themed battles and scenarios.

Open play is the one that barely needs to be mentioned in the rules. It should be common sense that players can toss out whatever rules they as long as they agree on it, but it's in the book anyway so people know it's endorsed by GW.

IMO, matched is for tourneys and pick up games, narrative is for campaigns and storytelling, and open is for shits and gigs like "how many grots does it take to kill guiliman?"

Open and narrative are only "the same" in the sense that there's no points. But there's much more to a game than just points/list building, which is why they're separate.

Never had the chance. Only joined a year ago. As for why? Well if I'm a game designer and I see something work once, I'm probably going to repeat it. And nothing in the FAQ has done anything but point to this system.

I'll accept it without complaint if we get armor facings, but I think it's worth noting that vehicles as we know them are not "meaty" and cannot soak up damage. Rather, they are very squishy inside, and what makes them strong is the strength required to damage them to begin with. Seeing that change isn't something I'll enjoy but it's not a deal breaker or anything

>are not "meaty"
Depends on what you're shooting them with, but barring some excellent rolls, they routinely need multiple hits from strong AT weapons to kill them. Yes, you can kill them quicker with stuff like say, Fire Dragons, or other AP1 stuff, but I daresay that sort of weapon will likely have some sort of additional wounds mechanic that will translate into a comparable level of hits/kills ratio.

Honestly, you should have seen things in 3rd ed. Pretty much the epitome of all or nothing, all in one roll.

I'm also not so sure about weapons rolling to wound instead of toughness vs strength. I mean, there was confusion there yes, but the confusion was the chart they used, not the system itself. They could just use "strength + D6 to beat toughness" like DnD on a D6 and that would clear up any game delays super fast.

I've been playing since 2nd. It really is pathetic to see the doom-saying every fucking time.

But you could already fit the entirety of the core rules in, like 5 or 6 pages. Losing a page or two isn't inherently a bad thing (but it'll probably end up shit anyways).

not true, we just can never reach consensus and for our rules to be universally accepted you need it.

That's why we complain about GW rules in general while still laughing at people making house rules.

a summary of the livestream they just did earlier.

Couldn't catch the live stream? Here is a summary (pay particular attention to last question):

Q: Working with a couple concepts, change movement, armor modifiers, new way of doing charges, if you charge you strike first, morale changes.
A: Yes. these were concepts discussed at Adepticon.

Q: Any specific rules around vehicles and armor values?
A: No armor value anymore. All models use the same type of stat line. Big tanks get wounded (all have a damage table and stats decrease). Different for every model. Keeps vehicles through the game. Str and Toughness works where everyone can hurt everyone. (sounds like AoS there)

Q: Will each army keep its current play style?
A: Yes they are trying to keep the styles similar.

Q: Is the game still a D6 system?
A: Yes it is

Q: How long does a game take in comparison to a 1500 point game now?
A: Games were taking 3.5 hours during team tournament in 7th at Adepticon. 1500 points is about 90min. Games should take about 2 hours in general.

If you just bought a codex or rulebook.... The customer service team will be handing out vouchers within 8 weeks of the announcement to cover the cost of the rulebook.

natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/04/ongoing-updates-for-live-40k-qna.html

>Q: Any specific rules around vehicles and armor values?
>A: No armor value anymore. All models use the same type of stat line. Big tanks get wounded (all have a damage table and stats decrease). Different for every model. Keeps vehicles through the game. Str and Toughness works where everyone can hurt everyone. (sounds like AoS there)

So they'll just have a toughness value like infantry models?

Q: Support for narrative play allowing connections to offshoots such as Shadow War?
A: Yes absolutely. Lots of campaigns, war zones and lots of ways of reflecting the 40k galaxy.

Q: Will any models - miniatures and scenery NOT receive new rules in the new edition?
A: No. they are all in

Q: Command points? what can you tell us.
A: Charges fight first, armies playing to play style. One of the mechanisms is called Command Points which allows you to make the army. You generate command points based on how large the army is. (Reroll dice, interrupt charging going first with a command point, etc. They are super valuable and tactical to use. Once they are gone they are gone. Additional command points will be in the various codexes (see below) Command points will for example, not only define a Space Marine army - but also the FLAVOR of Space Marine Army.

Battle Forged - Force org is in during base and competitive play. About 14 different force orgs charts.

Q: Are codexes going away?
A: No. There will be new ones in the new edition.

Q: Are Templates going away?
A: Yes they are.

Q: Are there limits to command points?
A: Yes. 1 per phase and also by formation.

Because Veeky Forums is the embodiment of Chaos - no leadership, no direction, no one ever getting anywhere.

Just look at Abaddon. Does he ever get shit done? No. Because Chaos sucks.

Q: Has the new edition been better tested?
A: yes. A lot. In the US. Frontline, Nova, and Adepticon have tested every single unit from every codex.

Q: How will I get access to the rules for my army
A: Everyone will get their new rules Day 1. On launch there will be a series of 5 books. On that day there will be all rules available. All points have been rebalanced and units have been play tested. When your codex comes out it will include new command points, etc. Army special rules, etc.

Q: Will broken units be taken down a peg?
A: All units have been play tested. At launch this will be the most robust and most balanced version we have.

Q: Will matched play session of the 3 ways to play be updated regularly?
A: Yes. Looking at AoS and how it was done. Book will come out annually which addresses all three styles of play.

Q: How will free rules be presented?
A: Digital and all of our stores and some independent stockiest will have a limited supply at launch in print format

Q: Will there be an App with an Army Builder like AoS
A: We are working on a WH40k App. Not available on launch but later.

Q: Will we see a specific set of tournament rules?
A: Not a specific set - but match play is a good start and some guidance to tournament organizers

Q: How can we be confident you have had enough time to do this for all models and rules?
A: Its been a long time in the making. We engaged with others quite awhile ago and we are pleased and confident that its going to be great.

Q: What were the Top 3 goals of the design team for this edition?
A: Lots of goals. 1 to make a game that worked for all three ways to play. Spent a lot of time on the background. Push to the forefront the battle between Imperium and Chaos. Thats not the rightful place. Chaos is the big threat to the galaxy. You will see that come through more over the next couple of years. Over the 2+ years that 7th has been around we have received a lot of feedback from players. This edition tried REALLY hard to make it the game you asked for. We are listening and trying to tick the boxes that you are asking for.

Q: When is the new edition being released?
A: This year. We will have more news on that very soon. But not today.

Q: Will we see more at Warhammer Fest?
A: Safe to assume we will show more there.

Q: With the advent of AoS we saw a lot of models disappear. Will the same thing happen to 40k?
A: No. All factions and models currently represented will be there.

Q: Will we have points on launch?
A: more than one set of them. We have two different ways to play. One called Power Level focused on narrative play, doesn’t matter what you equip with. broad brush stroke. Just for fun but has some structure.

Then there are matched play points which are more granular where you are paying points for models, weapons, equipment, etc.

Two different ways focused on the way you want to play.

Q: Some factions seem to be missing from the website
A: Site is from a narrative point of view. All factions are still there. (eg: Astra Militarum vs Tempestus Scions). its a very top level view of how things fit.

Q: Will we see any new factions we haven’t seen before?
A: Yes. New things on the way. (even for launch)

Q: What about monsters being effected by Damage?
A: As they get wounded they get weaker. Just like vehicles. Its very fun and narrative.

Q: Will bolters be able to damage tanks?
A: Yes everything can hurt everything - BUT its hard to do. No stat is capped at 10 any longer. The big heavy weapons cause multiple damage now.

Q: What sizes of games are supported?
A: All sorts of sizes. Match play scales through about 1000 points to much larger. Narrative play scales from about a 1000 to the skies the limit.

Q: What model has the highest wound count.
A: Knights are pretty high - but don’t recall off the top of head.

Q: Recognizable Force Org Chart?
A: Yes

found the guy who doesn't actually play aos

Wonderful. My baneblade can now be killed by rank-firing guardsmen. Joy.

Q: Allied forces still viable?
A: yes but it works differently now. Addresses Death Stars. Its a keyword driven system (like AoS) so some units will NOT play off of other units due to key word. Abilities are passed on to units they SHOULD be passed on to and not units they should not.

Q: Will there be deathstars in the game?
A: A tournament term - they normally come about as a result of holes in the rules and work as never anticipated. Things that don’t fit the narrative. The keywords help keep this in check. We can be much more in control of the synergies.

Q: Is close combat going to be viable again?
A: Absolutely. Its a huge part of the game and was missed before. You will see some changes.

Q: Will there be benefits to sticking to one faction?
A: Yes there will be. Mostly based on command points.

Q: What are you guys most looking forward to?
A: Looking forward to reaction to the finished product. We want to see how close we got to what people were asking for.

Q: FW Rules
A: Will be available in the same way though not necessarily the same place.

Q: Background change?
A: We aren’t going to radically change what 40k is about but we are going to advance the storyline and add more background.

Q: People asking about I bought a rulebook or codex fairly recently and now it won’t be valid. What should I do?
A: Everything we have launched in the new game - our customer service people will send vouchers for the value of their purchase for last 8 weeks if you have proof of purchase. Email customer service team on GW website and they will sort you out

Previously it was easly killed by any dumb melee unit hitting it automaticaly on back armor.

I can trade it.

sounds like it yeah. presumably they'll just be ultra high toughness. like even sentinels get T8 or so.

>No stat is capped at 10 any longer
sleeper change but possibly amazing