Traveller General--Let's try this again Edition

Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1968. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Previously on Traveller General: Library Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

Any anons know if 2300 is in the archive, or is it just bits and pieces?

Other urls found in this thread:

users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/2300/
mediafire.com/file/f22onfg8dywzeq3/Star_Trek_Alpha_Quadrant.pdf
sfrpg-discussion.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3167
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_Construction_Manual
petchary.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/3023_journey-edge-universe-4_04700300.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's a lot of shit under Traveller 2300ad, surprisingly enough.
The mongoose sourcebooks are under Mongoose Traveller(2008)->Settings(Other)

I haven't played Traveller, but I've been wanting to do a sci-fi game with my group.

For a group that mainly plays 5e, but is open to new systems, which edition would be best to start with? I know T20 is based on the d20 system, like 5e, but is it actually good?

Never played T20, apparently it's shite.

I'd go with Mongoose, either 1st or 2nd if you want something more modern(more rules and stats and shit, but not autisticly so).
1st has more stuff for it, but it's spread out across a bunch of books.
2nd has more stuff in the core book(shit like university) but they made a dick move by putting the spaceship-building rules in a supplement. But if you're not going to buy the books that isn't a problem

If OSR is your thing, Classic Traveller or Cepheus Engine (An OGL retro-clone of classic) might be what you want. Cepheus is slightly more complicated, but is laid out better than Classic.
Both are simpler than Mongoose, with stuff like character having less skills, but being assumed to be generally competent at spessmen things.
The example that's always given is Luke Skywalker in New Hope having his entire skill list be "Pilot-1"
Mongoose characters have about a half-dozen to a dozen skills, and take a penalty if they try something they aren't skilled in.

Though the thing about Traveller is that it's super modular, especially among the editions mentioned above. Once you get a handle on it you can steal bits you like from other editions.

But for now, if you're used to 5e, I'd definitely go with Mongoose, and personally I'd go for 2nd Edition

Do you know how Traveller basically works? ie. the dying in chargen meme and all that

>But if you're not going to buy the books that isn't a problem
I was just going to pirate them, though I had a hard time finding them when I was looking a few weeks back. Thanks for the mega link.

>Do you know how Traveller basically works?
I've done minimal research beyond just a quick glace at the Wikipedia page and the 1d4chan stuff, so I know about the dying at chargen meme, but I hardly know anything about any actual rules or mechanics.

Finally a thread! I have a newbie question on 2nd ed MgT:

If a player that does not have a melee skill and low STR gets locked into melee with someone that has melee 1 is it literally impossible to hit them if they decide to parry you? You get your -3DM for not having the proficiency, -1DM for STR modifier and the enemy parrying gives you another -1DM, so even if you roll a 12 you still end up missing?

Of course not having melee 0 or a sidearm for melee is kind of silly but if someone wanted to roleplay a wimp like that would they have a 0% probability of ever managing to do even 1 point of damage on a moderately melee skilled enemy? No matter what they do they can't even land a punch?
This just seems odd to me for some reason.

Aye all the shit you're looking for is there. All you really need are the Core book, High Guard and the Vehicle Handbook, and even then the latter two are mostly about designing your own shit.

The base mechanic is roll 2d6 + stat + skill, 8+ is a success and the Referee can impose bonuses or maluses to represent difficulty. Oh, and Mongoose 2e (MgT2) has a bane/boon system, which is disadvantage/advantage from 5e.

The cool thing about the roll is that 2d6 has a bell curve probability, so even a +1 from a stat or skill is a big deal.
This is also why skills are relatively stingy, because rank-1 means you're employable (paramedic), rank-3 is professional training (surgeon) and ranks-4+ is top-of-your-field (world-class neurosurgeon).

Combat is relatively deadly, because your damage is applied to your 3 physical stats (Strength, Dexterity, and Endurance). If two are reduced to 0 you're unconscious, and if all 3 are 0 you're ded. Average human has seven in each, and a basic rifle does 3d6 of damage, you do the math.
Even newer Traveller has the old-school "fair-fights are suicide" mentality. Shoot first and run when things go south.

Chargen is legitimately really fun, don't listen to the memes. Dying in chargen is only a thing in Classic, and it's not too bad cause the whole process takes like five minutes.
Mongoose's Chargen is a bit more involved (with more careers and random events and shit), but instead of dying you just get booted from your career and maybe injured.

Also, if you have the time, have a look at Stars Without Number. It's basically a love-letter to Traveller based off of B/X D&D. While the system is literally Basic D&D IN SPACE, the fluff and supplements for it are really cool, and the author designed it all to be steal-able for other games. I'd definitely recommend it's Suns of Gold supplement if you want interstellar trade to be a part of your campaign, it actually does a good job of making fun adventures out of it.

I ran out of characters before I could ask: what sort of game you running?
I would say that traveller skews more to the gritty, harder side, at least as written. Again it's pretty modular.
Even as written there's a lot of room for different types of game, everything from mercenaries, to far traders, to secret agents and bounty hunters, to the standard all-of-the-above adventurers

>I ran out of characters before I could ask: what sort of game you running?
We usually run pretty standard, noblebright high-fantasy games in general. I don't think we've ever ran anything too gritty or hard, but my group's pretty open to new experiences. We usually homebrew our own settings rather than using an established one as well.

I haven't exactly planned on what kind of game I'd want to run. I wanted to find a system our group would like before I decided.

If anything, I was leaning toward something more on the exploratory side, maybe having the PCs be employees of some space mining/colonizing corporation, and dealing with the hazards and native creatures that inhabit the places they explore, and dealing with the hazards of interplanetary travel in general. Or maybe with the PCs getting stranded on a strange planet, and being forced to survive and find a way to escape.

I'm also open to something more Space Opera-ish along the lines of Star Wars.

Two threads back, at the end, someone posted a pdf about Traveller 5

This one?

I have two questions for you guys:

First, regarding classic traveller, how is wounding handled? It seems to me that first blood wounds have all the dice assigned to one of the three phyiscal stats, while all other wounds you can disperse the dice amongst the stats. Is that how other people understand it?

Second, does anyone have a good source for random wounds? The whole "dying during chargen" is annoying me, so I'm subbing in injuries instead of death.

I think that's it, as I've never seen that before. When did this get announced (aside from hinted at in T5)

>First, regarding classic traveller, how is wounding handled? It seems to me that first blood wounds have all the dice assigned to one of the three phyiscal stats, while all other wounds you can disperse the dice amongst the stats.

That's correct. Normally damage is parceled out by whole dice increments to STR, DEX, and END at the player's choice. Forex: A pistol does 3D and let's say you roll 2, 3, and 6. You target could "juggle" those amounts by assigning the 6 to a their highest stat and taking the other points against their weaker stats thus avoiding unconsciousness.

With 1st blood, the 3D roll is SUMMED and applied to ONE stat which is determined randomly; i.e. 1-2 for STR, 3-4 for DEX, 5-6 for END. The SUM of 11 is applied to the one stat and, if that stat drops to 0, any points are left over are applied to one of the remaining two, again determined randomly.

1st blood is a killer because when that one stat reaches 0, you're out for 10 minutes/40 combat rounds.

>Second, does anyone have a good source for random wounds?

With Classic's hits against stats, random wounds don't really work. Someone injures their arm, so what stat is then effected? STR or DEX? MegaTraveller went to a hit point system and it has a random wound system you may like.

>The whole "dying during chargen" is annoying me, so I'm subbing in injuries instead of death.

That hasn't been part of the game since '81 so you can stop pretending you're annoyed.

My quick & dirty system for failing a survival roll in Classic chargen was to muster the PC out with the number of FULL terms they'd completed, add 2 years to their age, allow no skills for the failed term, and assign -1 to STR, DEX, END, or SOC.

Forex: a PC fails a survival roll during their 4th term. Chargen stops & no skills are earned. They muster out with 3 complete terms. They were 30 when they began the failed 4th term and so are now 32. A -1 hit is assigned.

Simple and gets the job done.

Sorry I wasn't clear, by "system for random wounds" I meant like a pdf that you'd roll on if you suffered an injury during character generation. Like "training accident: your leg is crushed under a falling crate. Reduce Endurance by 1" type things. Just for some flavour. Thanks for the explanation of wounding though, it's very helpful.

Damn shame 2300 is so inactive. Only community I know of is the facebook group where Colin Dunn the writer for Mongoose's editions posts from time to time.

It's mostly old-ass anons who hardly play anymore. I love 2300, it's like a wargamer's wet dream.

Anons should start posting Etranger since it's the best 2300 website since Pentapod's isn't around so much anymore.

users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/2300/

You want space warfare guides and even some Twilight 2000 supplements? You got space warfare guides and Twilight 2000 supplements. Lots of models and art for 2300 too.

Not sure how I feel about Boon/Bane user. I love my +20 modifiers stacked from all sorts of crazy shit against an impossible target number.

My favorite is Mg2300 space combat with absurd +20s to get locks on fast/stealthy warships in a duel. The fucking JFK-class is unstoppable.

>I meant like a pdf that you'd roll on if you suffered an injury during character generation. Like "training accident: your leg is crushed under a falling crate. Reduce Endurance by 1" type things. Just for some flavour.

You can't just make that up on your own? You need a table to think for you? I mean, you made up something for your post so why not do the same during chargen?

My players loved coming up with their own explanations for the -1 hit I imposed after failed survival rolls. One decided a DEX hit was due to nerve damage to their off hand and that gave them a side goal during play looking for medical help in repairing it.

>Thanks for the explanation of wounding though, it's very helpful.

No problem. People tend to overthink the 1st blood rule, mostly because combat can be so complex in other games, but it's really rather simple. Simple and deadly.

The deadliness of Traveller combat is something that shocks many players used to other systems.

Anons, anyone try Solo yet for Cepheus? Trying it now, seems kinda barebones so far.

Agreed on the making up. Traveller's not a game where you fuck around letting tables do everything.

Most tables for Trav are just plot hooks for later like 'Gain an enemy'.

Then you make up the enemy story and the GM throws them in for trouble later.

>Anons, anyone try Solo yet for Cepheus?

Is that Solo Trader or the newly released Solo? I'm intrigued with the scout mission section.

>Trying it now, seems kinda barebones so far.

Well, like you and I said, you can't let tables to everything!

Any suggestions on how to flesh out a faction of psychic space elves?

dTonnes.
What sort of psychic space elves are you going for?

Psions with a superiority conplex and an uniform fetish. Their warriors might be very honorable space samurai but otherwise they aren't really known for their trustworthiness.

I feel like something like this has been done a hundred times in the past so Im trying to come up with something new to add.

Play up the uniform fetish into a superiority complex borne of a pseudo-caste system, maybe tied to the ability to maintain a psychic uniform being the means of placement and advancement in caste, making the castes flexible based on talent but otherwise very rigid. And if the uniform doesn't have the precious metals and minerals of a small country laced into it, something is very wrong.

if you don't want them to just be very honorable space samurai but want to keep the aesthetic, have them yojimbo out to accept contracts with their preferred payment being unique or rare materials to further the decoration of their uniform.

If you are really worried about originality, don't. There is nothing new under the sun, digital or otherwise.

>Any suggestions on how to flesh out a faction of psychic space elves?

Take the darrians, change some stuff around, add psychic powers. Done.

Thanks, these are actually pretty cool ideas.

I was originally put off by the original factions in Traveller, maybe I should have another look at them.

The darrians are about as space elfy as you can get. But my main reason for suggesting to modify them instead of creating a completely new one is that it's a lot easier to use a solid base and modify it rather than something to create something new completely.

Also since you're gonna homebrew stuff it's not like anyone will going to complain that they were something else before.

It's a shame. I think stuff like Stutterwarp and the weird aliens are neat.

Stutterwarp is the coolest FTL out there. It makes 2300 actually very competitive in versus battles with other settings since ships are moving at absurd FTL speeds even in-system.

Newly released Solo. I just mean the prime mechanic is barebones, not the tables!

It's 'The Plan', which is basically a paragraph of what your team's plan is. Then you roll based on either Foolproof/Solid/Shaky and whether the plan is potentially dangerous.

>literally impossible to hit them if they decide to parry you?
So presumably this character has a STR characteristic of 3-5 for the -1 DM. However, remember that you can also use Dex for Melee (p. 71). Also, note that Parrying uses a character's Reaction, and that additional reactions impose a stacking -1 DM on subsequent actions (so he may not waste his reaction on parrying you if there's more immediate threats elsewhere, for example). So it's possible to hit that guy, eventually.

>Newly released Solo.
I was just wondering if anyone had pirated the PDF of that. Any luck?

I get paid tomorrow and if Lulu oblige with a decent coupon I may be getting the hardcopy, the original Solo Trader (which I bought) was neat, but I'm really not sure the new rules are worth paying more.

I'll concur with the other user. Despite some nostalgia goggles for Classic and the rather terrible business practices (and terrible editing) of Mongoose, Traveller Mongoose 2e is a good place to start. The system is fairly solid and flexible, with a simple player interface and plenty of behind-the-scenes crunch for the referee to dig his teeth into.

2e in particular has a solid and streamlined system for ship and vehicle construction, which is quite well integrated into the core rules and (usually) easily portable between scales, so you can go full autistic and add futuristic semi-sentient robot washing machines and dress selectors (Central Supply Catalogue) and Hot-tub for 4 (Vehicles Handbook) into your Luxury Stateroom (High Guard) onboard your ship, because trading across the stars on a shoe-string budget is no excuse not to do so in extravagant comfort.

How do I avoid power gaming in Traveller? Twice my campaigns have devolved to:

1.) Players get increasingly good armor causing lower teir weaponry to be obsolete
2.) Be forced to scale enemies weapons up just so the players don't faceroll everything
3.) Players with good armor go planetside to a low tech world and faceroll everything

I dunno I feel as if the mechanics of the game promote power gaming

They're rolling around as heavily armed mercenaries, give them heavily armed mercenary jobs. Sure, they may be able to take on a company of native PDF with ease, but when a quick reaction mech bn rolls up while an anti-aerospace arty coy's dissuading their starship from pickup, and off in the distance there's a full-on brigade of angry, angry armour that's desperate to show off how lower-tech gear can still be relevant when it has the home field advantage...

Militaries exist and can be competent. Also, a platoon of top of the line powered armour and grav tanks can't hold significant terrain - they can run around fighting fires, but they're a rapid heavy strike force, not something that can win a war.

What version are you using?
>Players get increasingly good armor causing lower teir weaponry to be obsolete
Introduce PGMPs and FGMPs. They're more than sufficient to kill most anything in armor of the same TL or price.

>3.) Players with good armor go planetside to a low tech world and faceroll everything
Unless said low-tech worlds are completely independent from the local Empire-tier polities (say, the Imperium or the Aslan Hierate), they're going to be at the very least influenced by them. That means that either a) some powerful entities may have interests there and won't turn a blind eye to murderhobos showing up in power armor, or b) someone planetside has Imperial guards armed with battle dress and fusion guns.

Also, introduce vehicles and starship weapons. A Traveller in high-tech gear will faceroll a lowly TL5 soldier, but even s/he will have difficulty taking on a mechanized division with artillery and air support all on his lonesome.

I mean, say what you will about law levels, when a walking F-35 squadron comes off a ship, armed and ready to blow a country to hell, there's probably going to be a reaction even if they're just going down the pub. If a barfight breaks out and they start lighting things up, they're effectively fucking invading.

So basically bring your PR guys and lawyers with you.

>Mong2E question
Starting out going to University doesn't count as a career in terms of basic training, right?

Getting one 0 skill and one 1 skill in exchange for having one randomly determined essential for your job doesn't seem like the sort of tradeoff someone would be interested in employing.

>doesn't count as a career in terms of basic training, right?
No, it doesn't. You gain basic training from the first career, and both Uni and Military academy are pre-career (it's much clearer when you look at the wording for academy regarding service skills)

Also, if you do graduate, it's a guaranteed 1 and 2 skill, which is fairly good if that's what you're aiming for, and the +3 to EDU is pretty good as well for non pew-pew careers.

>1.) Players get increasingly good armor causing lower teir weaponry to be obsolete
When your enemy has armor, break out the tanks.
>2.) Be forced to scale enemies weapons up just so the players don't faceroll everything
Seriously, it's not hard to strap a vehicle-scale machinegun to the front of a gravbike.
>3.) Players with good armor go planetside to a low tech world and faceroll everything
Do they not have higher tech friends they can call for backup?

Oh thank Space Jesus.

> You gain basic training from the first career, and both Uni and Military academy are pre-career
Wait so let's say this happens:
>Get into Marine Academy
>Graduate
>Change of heart and decide the military's not for me, try to become a Scout
>Fail the entry roll
>Go back to dad's Asteroid Belter business as a Drifter like he said I should've all along
Do I start that character with the Marine and Drifter (Scavenger) skills at 0?

Could some more veteran player here name the absolute must have skills my players should have at the start of the campaign, please

Yup. In fact, military academy is a fantastic way of grabbing a bunch of relevant pew-pew skills at level 0 if you actually don't intend to continue being a soldier.

Well, it really depends on the campaign, right? Some campaigns (though probably very few, if at all) could hypothetically have no combat at all, whereas in others you'd be really handicapping your party if you're not contributing in combat.

Traveller Skill Packages in Mongoose versions are there to shore up missing skills, but in general here's some important ones:
- Electronics: Sensor or equivalent: being technologically fluent is important, and even more so when you have long Jump transit times. Being able to track down targets or scan things the first time through can save a huge amount of time otherwise wasted jumping to the wrong place.
- Electronics: Remote Operations, or similar: if you can't shoot a gun or aren't good at sneaking, or don't want to go down that scary laser-trap-filled hallway, have a drone or remote do it for you.
- Electronics: Computers: seeing a pattern here? Knowledge is power, and having super-future google-fu is useful, if for nothing else than to point you in the right direction.
- Gun Combat: somebody has to be able to shoot a gun.
- Mechanic or Engineer: someone has to keep the ship running. If no party member has it, hire someone who does.

You can probably get away without having a party member be a Face (Diplomat/Persuasion/Steward) or someone to wreck havoc on the local economy (Merchant/Broker), but those can be fun.

I wouldn't say that each character needs these, but in the lion's share of games it makes sense for at least one player to have these:
>Broker unless you got your ship for free, but useful even if you did
>Each Electronics subset (spreading these across players works best)
>Mechanic
>Engineering
>Mechanic
>Astrogation (unless your game isn't about a ship crew)
>Pilot (unless your game isn't about a ship crew)
>Drive/Flyer (based on what's regularly available)
>Seriously, MECHANIC

I'm going to call battle dress power armor in my game and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Cool, do you have stats for boltguns or shoulder-mounted mininuke launchers?

Okay.

Sure, although Traveller tends to distinguish between power armor and battle dress, which, you know, is fine, but sometimes a bit outdated, especially as slow, lumbering exoskeletons probably aren't TL14 tech, but something lowly TL9 could probably handle.

Of course, different settings handle things differently.

Speaking of which, Traveller TL generally assumes that Jump tech and Grav tech develops relatively soon, far earlier than fully sapient AI and before significant exo-planet colonization or possibly even before near-earth structures like large space elevator systems or a world-wide orbital solar panel rings are built. And it suggests that fusion power is right around the corner.

Which, you know, is probably not going to happen. I'm only a lowly biologist, but I find the idea that synthetic anagathics are 7 tech levels above fusion power, gravity tech and jump travel quite funny. While it's true that maximum human life span hasn't increased much over human history (relative to average life span), there's certainly room for improvement going forward, what with histone wrapping and codon replacement and all this interesting stuff just down the road.

>The darrians are about as space elfy as you can get.

The Darrians AS WRITTEN aren't space elves. The elf angle is just fan faggotry thanks to a few illos showing them with pointy ears.

>How do I avoid power gaming in Traveller?

Try being a better referee for starters. Your failure to impose consequences for the players' actions is directly responsible for play like this:

If your players are routinely stomping low tech planets and several other groups up to and including the Imperium don't eventually come gunning for them, you're a shitty referee and nothing more. The problem is with you and not the rules.

Actions HAVE consequences. Impose them instead of giving your players a reach around.

>>Broker unless you got your ship for free, but useful even if you did

Broker is perhaps the most misused skill in Classic and as such is a munchkin's favorite.

A broker puts buyers together with sellers which means a broker must be well informed about the LOCAL economy in question. A PC aboard a subsidized merchant flying a scheduled route can make a plausible case for being well informed about the economies of the worlds her visits. A PC aboard a tramp trader randomly traveling where cargoes and freight takes it CANNOT be well informed about the economies of the many worlds he visits.

As a referee, I routinely nerfed broker skills for PCs who could not have developed the information and contacts the skill requires.

There's always a bigger fish - escalate to them. After all, bounty hunters exist, and if a pirate group (read, my dads college gaming group) gets nasty enough, the Imperium will send the entire sector fleet after one single ship.

New file for the archive. The guy who wrote the Gray Book just released a re-write of FASA Trek under Cepheus.

mediafire.com/file/f22onfg8dywzeq3/Star_Trek_Alpha_Quadrant.pdf

In addition to what everyone else has said, it should be noted that a worlds tech level isn't necessarily a limit on what tech is *on* a world, just what tech that world can produce.
I remember the example given was a medieval king having a small cache of laser weapons, bought for an exorbitant price off a far trader.

Even if a world has a low tech base, the government might still be packing some nasty shit, especially if they have something valuable to export.
Also if it's a planet the PCs have raided before, or if word on their shenanigans gets out, low-tech worlds might be willing to shell out more for high-tech gear to protect themselves, an opportunity that won't go unnoticed by the local Free Traders.

So the next time your players try to rob an early modern capital city, just have the Royal Guard pull out ACRs with armour piercing ammo and Anti-Material Rifles and see what happens.

Don't forget a nice metallic-colored combat armor for the "knight in shining armor" look.

Does Classic Traveller have rules for surface vehicle combat anywhere? Or is it just a question of winging it?

There's Striker, but it's a hardcore set of minis rules. "Across the Bright Face" in Double Adventure 2 has some simple rules. There's also a 3rd party set of rules called "Joe's CT Vehicles".

MegaTraveller has much more extensive rules.

Full heraldic combat armour with a plume attached to the top, for the full Horse Guards look

Oh, interesting, let's see...
>Alpha quadrant? I suppose people like Ferengi?
>ref is Q
>characters restricted to Starfleet
>fucking autistic definition of what a Die is. Holy shit
>character creation chart is smothered on top of old-ass picture of Starfleet Academy so it's difficult to read
>Harry Kim is listed as a famous historical Starfleet officer. That's... something, I suppose.
>no pon far for Vulcans. Also Vulcans OP as fuck.
>Starfleet officers have a bajillion skills. 15 points of skills by graduation, before officer school, which adds like 14 or more additional points. Holy shit. No wonder the bridge crew goes down on away missions all the time.
>energy weapons are appropriately powerful
>Vehicles use Cepheus, which means a fairly clunky Mongoose 1e ruleset. Too bad, Mong2e's is a lot better generally.
>Starship creation is fairly disappointing and very bare-bones, with paragraphs about how "well, in the show the ship's just a means of getting place to place".
>24th century Star Trek is TL18, which is fairly appropriate, all things considered.
>timeline is canon only, which is fine, I suppose.
>Captain Kirk, age 34, has a total of 115 skill points, including 4 points in trivia (abraham lincoln).
>author makes a dig at Mongoose "this is the game... Mongoose couldn't give". Ouch.

Well, that was... interesting, I suppose. Shame about the very light starship mechanics.

Cool, I'll add that when I update next.

Seconding Across the Bright Face. The rules for everything to do with the ATV are all on just three pages and it basically makes vehicle combat work like personal combat, but with a simple d6-based damage table that you could quickly modify for just about any vehicle with little effort.
IMO this simpler system should have been folded into the rules when they went to Megatraveller instead of Striker.

>Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1968.

Traveller was released in '77. I was there.

I'm sure it'll be corrected in the next general.

Somebody else noticed a typo on the year months back, and I went to fix it, but then in an homage to Power Girl's boobs, I started pushing the year back by one with every new thread. You're the first person to say anything.

Bullshit the both of you.
We all know that Traveller was released in 1356 by Isaac Asimov, just before he signed the declaration of independence and after he led the Trojans out of Egypt to found the Holy Roman Empire

>Well, that was... interesting, I suppose. Shame about the very light starship mechanics.

He was recreating FASA Trek core rules - shitload of skills and no shipbuilding rules.

Fair enough. I suppose there's ample material there to swipe from, although sticking so hard to only Prime timeline canon material does seem a bit of a waste to me.

Ah well, different people's takes on various alien species is always interesting, I suppose. To my eye, though, the species bonus/mallus probably have to be cut in half-ish (?) to be more in line with what we get in Cepheus/Mong1e and 2e?

Pic related: spin the Nadesico's forward pylons 180-degrees back and you'll see it.

Somebody with lots of time on his hands could recreate the rest of the FASA supplements under Cepheus rules. Or, somebody could write a competing version. It's a start anyway.

He's been talking about it on EDG's board.

sfrpg-discussion.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3167

When should I allow a player to use their SOC modifier for skill checks? Should it always be dependant on who they are dealing with? Like, I imagine social status being helpful when persuading a big city police chief, a vagabond raider not so much.

>Harry Kim is listed as a famous historical Starfleet officer. That's... something, I suppose
Longest-serving Ensign.

Haven't pirates but am now playing. It was weird at first but it's actually kinda solid - using 2100AD I had a hilariously chaotic trip to Neptune. Hull breaches, ships in distress, and a crewman exiled to the low berths for incompetence.

>When should I allow a player to use their SOC modifier for skill checks? Should it always be dependant on who they are dealing with?

SOC is always contextual. As you guessed, a SOC rating which helps in one situation can hurt in others.

SOC also isn't cumulative, which is why many folks have trouble understanding it. All the other stats are cumulative. A PC's STR of 8, for example, also includes STR 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Ditto DEX, END, INT, and EDU.

With SOC, however, lesser ratings aren't INCLUDED in each rating. Someone with STR 8 also has the benefits of STR 2, but someone with SOC 8 does not have the benefits of SOC 2.

Who thinks Norris is a turd burglar?

I thought it was a joke. I approve.

Unfair - FASA Trek had this - memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_Construction_Manual

Say what you like about the Freedonian Aeronautics and Space Administration, they aren't afraid of crunchy spaceships, especially if they get to make deckplans.

I'm about to run MgT2e for a group of friends and they've decided on a criminal campaign. A lot of the supplements for campaign creation revolve around standard traveller campaigns. Where should I look for inspiration?

That really depends on what sort of criminals they want to be.
Firefly is about criminals who are on the run from the law because they were on the losing side of the last major war and don't like the winners, but are otherwise good people, mostly.
The Expanse is about criminals who are mercenaries, having stolen a warship and chasing down worse criminal with a xenobiology weapon.
Dark Matter is about criminals, murderers and terrorists that are reforming their ways by turning on their corporate and government employers.
If you are playing in the 3I, then being a criminal on one planet isn't a big deal, but being a criminal to the 3I is.
Space is a big place, after all.

>Unfair - FASA Trek had this - memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_Construction_Manual

Yes, but that was a separate supplement. It would be nice if someone were to reboot it under Cepheus.

If your crims are looking into space piracy, might I direct you to MgT1e's Pirates of Drinax campaign? Mongoose is supposedly going to get around to updating it for 2e, but for now, the 1e version's not terrible. It's fairly light on the fluff (and is fairly light in terms of rules hand-holding), but there's some good mechanics for piracy in there (in the Intro PDF) and so on.

It wouldn't have to be that in-depth (unless you're making a tactical combat game (think mayday or sfb))

I should look at it though. FASA at the time we're mostly Traveller writers who branched out, I'd bet the design sequence isn't terribly off - you'd probably run into more trouble with the fact that in Trek, the rules don't apply consistently.

Doing a brief scan - the SFB design sequence is mass based, not volume based, though it uses a similar 'deck square' which is roughly 0.5 dT in Traveller. Hopefully with some benchmarks, we can see how things would go. Would probably be easier to take Cepheus's Starship design, and add Transporters, Shields, Tractors, Cloaks and Warp Drive, given that as fun as SFTCS was, I don't feel it does Trek right.

To expand on what this guy said, you might want to take a cue from Classic, and apply modifiers based on your judgment rather than the codiifed charts Mongoose has. For example, if he's trying to get in with a criminal organization, you could maybe give him a +1 if he's got SOC less than 8, or a +2 if it's 4 or less, because he's from a seedy background.
(Likewise if someone was trying to convince an inspector that he's just a dumb yokel who doesn't know anything, I'd give him a bonus if his EDU really was low)

Great ideas. I was hoping some of you guys would take the ball and run with it. Guess I need to take a look at the FASA Starship Construction Manual and SFB.

If you have a PDF version and don't mind sharing, email a copy to Mageguru over in the PDF Share thread and he can clean it and strip any of your identifying information out of it so it can be posted safely.

Norris is a cocksucking fag. That's canon.

However, Norris isn't hiding the fact he's a cocksucking fag. What he's hiding is the fact that Branj Dilgaadin, the other cocksucking fag he has regular bum fun with, is a psion.

The Imperium doesn't care about bum fun per se.

The Imperium does care about sector dukes having bum fun with psions.

Please consider doing this.

>Norris is a cocksucking fag. That's canon.

You got a source for the canonicity? AFAIK it was just a rumor started on TML.

Tell me about your campaign's BBEG fellow referees

Alazano Cortari is a hunter out to kill the 'face' PC since he's the exiled first son of a subsector Duke. Can't have pesky inheritance issues.

Very much a no-nonsense killer who doesn't care about the cuck PCs moreso than he does getting the job done. Like a gruff Wesley from Daredevil or an Amos from The Expanse.

petchary.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/3023_journey-edge-universe-4_04700300.jpg

Worst villain of all, user - giant ice geysers that blow up your realistic TL9 lander and leave you stranded.

Is Across the Bright Face in the Mega somewhere? I'm assuming it is and I'm just not finding it. If you could point me in the right direcion I'd appreciate it.

The PCs don't have a BBEG to hate per say, but , I'm sure they're going to want to go through the guy who keeps eating into their profits.

Classic/GDW - Adventures/Double adventure uhh #2? I think it's 2, Mission to Mithril/Across the Bright Face.

Thanks a bunch. I was assuming it would be a standalone thing so I looked right past it a couple times.

I like Amos, in the sense that he is a single-minded guy, just out for himself and a few folk he cares about
It's just that he is a madman, but Naomi acts as a guy who is trustworthy. He is trustworthy, he's just kinda crazy

If I were to get into Traveller now, what would be the ruleset to check out? I don't know if Traveller has "better" editions like other games.

Despite its editing problems, take a look at Mongoose 2nd edition (it's all up in the link in the OP). It's based on a solid system and has been tweaked sufficiently to where it's pretty good, all things considered.

Thanks! Skimming through, seems like it has all the features I've heard about in Traveller.