/STG/ - Star Trek General

Picturesque Space Rome Edition

Previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian#Physiology
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10476223-pc-patch-notes-for-4/25/17
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10426883-details-on-space-balance-changes
mediafire.com/file/f22onfg8dywzeq3/Star_Trek_Alpha_Quadrant.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>The Dire Lesson of Wolf 359: Starships are no place for children or civilians
>High Level Command Positions in Starfleet Suddenly Vacant: What happened to Admirals Quinn, Savar, and Aaron?
>Holodecks: Miracle of modern entertainment, or creepy stalker tool? Starfleet's lax policy concerning the images of living persons
>Holograms and Exocomps: Tools, or slaves?

>Galorndon Core: What really happened?
>The Federation-Cardassian Treaty: Disaster waiting to strike

>Genetic Engineering: Ancient boogeyman, or medical miracle?
>TR-116: Starfleet's new terror weapon
>U.S.S. Raven: Starfleet's disavowed attempt to contact the Borg
>Romulan Singularity Drives: Bold new power source, or weapon of mass destruction?

I thought Romulus was supposed to be rather gray.

To be fair, if anywhere was going to be colourful, it'd be near the senate.

>not Federation Buzzfeed edition
For shame, /stg/, for shame.

TNG "The Defector" is playing on my local channel right now. God DAMN I love this episode.

>Crash of the Enterprise-D: Why women should not be allowed to take the helm

Nah, dude, this is Buzzfeed we're riffing on.

>Crash of the Enterprise-D: Why Patriarchists Still Blame Troi

I'll admit I'm not actually that familiar with Buzzfeed aside from its reputation, so I've just been trying to do "conspiracy nut" talking points.

>so I've just been trying to do "conspiracy nut" talking points.

They do a lot of social justice talking points too, hence why I said they'd have a field day with the Ferengi.

The two biggest target audiences for them are millennials (millennial bashing old people?) and stay at home moms as those groups are seen as most likely to like+share whatever clickbait crap comes their way.

Hmm. Well, maybe I'll try slanting it in that direction. For the record, → is me.

Technically speaking, I am a millennial because I grew up in the 90s/became an adult in the early 00s. It's always been strange to me that an entire generation gets painted with the same broad brush. There were shitty people in the "greatest generation" and I know shitty people from the boomer generation.

Everybody just wants to believe that their generation was the best generation and that everything that came before it was old-fashioned and stupid, and that everything that came after it was steady degeneracy.

>Starfleets "changeling" scare proves sidelined captain was right the whole time.

fellow millennial here, I'm pretty sure most of the flak our generation gets is from baby boomers who prefer blaming Kids These Days for everything wrong in the world despite the fact that they make up a larger chunk of the population than we do on top of having been here longer. If you feel like getting down on your self because of when you were born don't bother, its pointless. Boomers came of age during a period of global economic growth and are inclined to feel entitled to luxuries that the generations that came both before and after theirs consider/would have considered vapid and wasteful (big screen TVs, frivolous gadgets that I only ever seem to see on infomercials). There are cool people sure, but relative circumstances growing up aren't always something people stop to think about.

This guy gets it, its been that way for thousands of years going all the way back to the Greeks, if it seem more noticeable now its because there are enough boomers and millennial using the same-ish cluster of websites that we're able to hear what both generations get to hear what they REALLY think of each other.

>The Ferengi Question: Where do we draw the line between accepting alien cultures, and stamping out Patriarchy?
>The Vulcanian Diet: Why haven't you rejected eating meat yet?
>Katana Sidearms: Starfleet's appropriation of an ancient Earth cultural heritage

I suppose I can see that.

That's true for every generation alive today though. Society's steady degeneration is by someone's deliberate design.

The 'millennial' thing is full retard in general. It's pretty much anyone born in the early '80s onwards, and we're at a point in time where people born in '00 are almost of age for everything (depending on your given locality). It's far too fucking broad, and anyone using unironically for derision is probably a cunt.

To put that in the context of this thread: that's people who will have grown up with reruns of the original series and original screenings of TNG onwards up to adults for whom Star Trek TV shows are a relic of the past already that maybe they watched if their parents bothered with reruns or dvds. Also highlight the text and hit ctrl-s for perfect spoilers, every time.

>Legacy of James T. Kirk: Radioactive Klingon warship contaminates San Francisco Bay
>Exploiting the Sick and the Innocent: Starfleet Intelligence's secret panel of mentally challenged genetically engineered war analysts
>Physician of the Century: Doctor Phlox's momentous decision to promote the well being of an oppressed minority

I know. I just always forget to use it.

Castigating oneself for when one was is foolish, and I have no intention of doing so.

>Klingon mating rituals: A justification of physical abuse?

Millennials get painted with the same broad brush mainly because the term Millennial was made into a pejorative in the mainstream consciousness when it was still in its infancy. Its easy to paint with a broad brush when the brush is dipped in "Everything I hate," colored paint.

>The Zenkethi: The War Starfleet AND Cardassia Hope You'll Forget!

That raises some interesting questions about DS9:
>How the fuck is a Klingon/Trill hybrid supposed to work?
>Would a half Klingon fetus damage Dax by headbutting the symbiont indirectly?
>Klingons are big on family honor and storytellers. Would every subsequent host of a symbiont that was once joined to a part Klingon be an honorary member of their former self's House?

Well, the fact that Kurzon would technically be joining their House was a GREAT HONOR, so I guess so, yeah.

Man, they'd love Mr. Musical Murderer. Some guy wronged him, so he killed him. So Klingon.

I'm now imagining a DnD-esque setting with the different Star Trek races, and humans being the standard

Vulcans: high Int,Str,Dex,Con, average Wis, shit Cha, basically High Elves.
Romulans: Vulcans with high Cha and shit Wis, basically Dark Elves.
Both species have to deal with Ponn Farr, which is actually what keeps their populations low in a pre-modern setting and leads to elven isolationism.
Tellarites: Extra Dorfy.

Klingons: Barbarian race turned up to eleven. Surprisingly good rogues and lawyers.
Xindi: Five species, one vaguely Arabic culture. Their capital city has two broken towers just to remind people of the 9/11 metaphor in case they forgot.
Trill: Good and neutral aligned Trill make excellent bards, historians, or judges. Ambitious Trill make terrifyingly powerful wizards after a few lifetimes since Int and spell repertoire carry over between hosts, even if the body's stats do not. Evil trill are effectively liches without the undead bit.

Bajorans: basically the anti-Vulcans. Human standard or a bit weaker physically, high Wis and Cha, low Int. Excellent Clerics, Druids,and Rogues, terrible at the bulkier martial classes.
Cardassians: spooky snek spoon people that live in and around active volcanoes and other hot spots.
Ferengi: oy vey stop stereotyping me, hew-mon! Merchant race, really not usable as a PC but handy as a walking plot device.
Voth: AYO, HOL UP, YOU IS SAYIN WE WUZ DRAGONZ N SHIET?

>Bajorans
>high wis

They're a wise, if stupid people. In theory, 10,000+ years of unification and religious platitudes to fall back on means you can seem smart without effort.

High wis, low int. Look at how many times Bajoran characters did something totally retarded for the sake of faith and the DS9 crew had to bail them out. They reinstated a CASTE SYSTEM because the prophets pooped an old guy out of the wormhole.

No Gorn = no care

I mean, like... I'm pretty sure that's how every religious person on earth would act if a relevant religious figure from history appeared from a religiously significant place via time travel, by all appearances sent by God. Maybe not the best example. Kai Winn arranging terrorist bombings and attempting assassinations on guys for not being the exact amount and flavor of religious she considered correct is a better one.

>Tellarites: Extra Dorfy.

Dorfs aren't as technologically mediocre as Tellarites.

If it's D&D, it might as well be 5e, and if it's 5e, stat lines wouldn't include bonuses to so many things. Hang on, let me give it a shot...

- Human: +1 to all stats. Humans are jacks of all trades.
- Vulcan: +1 Strength, +2 Intelligence. Vulcans are stronger than humans, but nevertheless prize mental ability over physical.
- Tellarite: +1 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Tellarites are hardy and possess keen insight and acumen.
- Andorian: +2 Constitution, +1 Charisma. Andorians are passionate and capable of withstanding extremes of both heat and cold.
- Bajorans: +2 to any one stat, +1 to any other stat. Bajorans are varied in their talents but tend to specialize in one area.
- Caitians: +2 Dexterity, +1 Charisma. Caitians are agile and sexy
- Trill (Unjoined): +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom. Even unjoined Trill tend to have strong senses of self and insight.
- - Trill (Joined): +1 Wisdom, +1 Charisma. These stack with base Trill attributes. Joined Trill benefit from the wisdom and personality of their symbiot.
- Betazoid: +2 Wisdom, +1 Charisma. Their empathic and telepathic abilities make Betazoids insightful and charismatic.
- Klingons: +2 Strength, +1 Constitution. A warrior race, Klingons are skilled at both dishing out and receiving punishment.
- Romulans: +1 Strength, +2 Charisma: A Vulcan offshoot, Romulans value personal magnetism and force of personality over raw intellect.
- Cardassians: +1 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom: Cardassians are very savvy and insightful.
- Ferengi: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity. Ferengi are surprisingly agile and, while abrasive, have a tendency to convince others to do what they want.
- Gorn: +2 Strength, +1 Intelligence. Gorn are physically intimidating, but their minds are quite keen as well.
- Ferasans: +2 Dexterity, +1 Strength. The progenitors of the Caitians, Ferasans are agile and strong.
- Pakled: +2 Wisdom, +1 Constitution: Pakleds are more insightful and cunning then they let on, as well as tough.

I could probably be persuaded to do full write-ups for at least a few of the races, if for no other reason then the people screaming that D&D can't do Star Trek would amuse me so very much.

Andorians can't withstand the heat. Where'd you get that?

Sounds cool.

>Andorians can't withstand the heat. Where'd you get that?

From Shran saying that when he was younger he fell into a bore worm nest where the temperature was near the boiling point of water. He was stuck there for 3 days before being rescued, and the only result was that he'd lost 10% of his body weight. (ENT S4E14, "The Aenar")

A human in the same situation would be dead inside of, like, half an hour max.

Oh, alright. As for the full write ups, why don't you do the four Fed founding races, Klingons, and Roms?

Whoops, sorry, it was 10% of his body weight in two days, not three.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian#Physiology

And yeah, I double-checked with Google. A human in the same conditions would be dead within minutes.

Yeah, sure, why not, I've got nothing better to do. And for once this thread will actually be discussing Veeky Forums related stuff.

Here we go. Keep in mind that it's 3:47 AM where I am, so these are probably not the best. But they're good starting points.

>boiling point of water
If air pressure is much lower that might not actually be that hot.

It might not be, but as we have no statement to that effect I'm going to take it at face value.

Good job, user.

>Would a half Klingon fetus damage Dax by headbutting the symbiont indirectly?

Patch notes for todays expansion!

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10476223-pc-patch-notes-for-4/25/17

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10426883-details-on-space-balance-changes

>Delta rising missions changed a bit, sector space patrols no longer necessary to advance in story
>Kobali ground missions rolled into 3 missions
>Lowered the required XP to get to 60 from 50
>Lowered enemy ships health and reworked how damage is calculated

Did they, dare i say, /fixthefuckinggame/?

>Expansion
Meant to say patch.
I need to take off the auto correct in my brain.

Oh sure. Just look at that part. Pay no attention to the fact that they're nerfing EVERYTHING into the ground.

Personally i believe it's to pave the way for future T7 ships.

>Added a free skill repec token to all characters upon log in.
>a

If they're going to try to make a bunch more skills viable, the least they can do is let me experiment without charging me extra.

I wanted to try some gimmicky builds with Kinetic Magnet/Photonic Shockwave, but I know it won't be worth it.

T6 includes hyper-advanced future dreadnoughts, Iconian doomsday machines and the most lethal Temporal weapon ever imagined. What the fuck would they put in T7? V'ger? A spacebourne Q?

No mechanic that they could clearly fold into T7. Heavy weapons would have been it but they're folding them into T6. Besides, they've got practically unlimited room for T6 stuff...and there's more money to be made by not intentionally antagonizing the community with T7.

>Klingons are big on family honor and storytellers. Would every subsequent host of a symbiont that was once joined to a part Klingon be an honorary member of their former self's House?

Yes.

Jadzia Dax was part of the house of Martok. Worf and Martok had a talk about it. Worf told Ezri that she was Dax and therefore part of the House.

All the insane shit gets shunted into the T7 category, thus freeing both T6 and T7 for more ships.

They already antagonized the playerbase with T6 back in the day and the subsequent enemy buffs and the 30 minute cooldown on STF queues and by adding the god forsaken delta missions, of which half were sector space patrols.

Dukat did nothing wrong.

>t. assblasted beamboating munchkin

Dukat is a great character. But he is a terrible Cardassian. He's a narcissist through and through. He can't help but compare himself to Sisko, making him a perfect foil to his character. He constantly grandstands about how he's justified in whatever particular scheme he's gone off on. As far as he's concerned, the only person that really matters is himself.

Even people that he claims to love are, in his mind, there to assert what a great and magnanimous person he is. Kira working with him "proves" what a charismatic man he is. His children "prove" what a loyal and forthright Cardassian he is. The only real exception to this is Ziyal. I think Dukat may have genuinely loved her and her mother.

And yet it's his very self obsession that stops him from being a good Cardassian. A few threads back I described a bit about how the Cardassian ideal is one of total service to the state and family. Their literature and military doctrine espouse "The Never Ending Sacrifice" towards a yet Greater Cardassia and a strong family line.

Of course this doesn't always pan out. plenty of the Cardassians we see have personal ambitions, and often interpret "service to the state" as "fixing the state". But very few of them ever let that ambition overstep their duty. Besides Dukat, the only other Cardassians we really see in dereliction of duty to Cardassia are Garak (look how that worked out) and Tekheny Ghemor, who was trying to protect the woman he thought was his daughter, his family.

Even the various resistance movements we see throughout the show (Natima, True Way, Damar) all stand for Cardassia. For saving Cardassia from Corruption, from the Federation, from the Dominion. Dukat claims to stand for Cardassia, but only ever with him as it's master. He never accepts that he may have to die to save Cardassia, because that would be admitting that he's unnecessary.

And a lot of Cardassians seem to know this.

Dukat gets hung out to dry by his own people on a regular basis. They were so sure he'd save himself rather than die at the hands of Bajoran rebels that they recorded a message and fail-safe into Terok Nor's computer.

When the Maquis capture him, the High Command decide to let him die. When he returns toCardassia with his daughter, Ziyal, he goes from hero to Cargo hauler. Even when he captures a Klingon vessel, making him a hero again, they just muzzle him again by making him Military Advisor to a state Already on the verge of surrender.

It's only by selling out his people yet again that he achieves the position he craves so desperately. Once again, his own hubris and self-involvement are what screw him.

And that's all part of what makes him a fantastic villain. A terrible person, an even worse officer, but a fantastic bad guy.

To come back to your statement Dukat did plenty wrong.
>allying with the dominion
>saving his enemies on numerous occasions just so he could gloat
>getting involved with a religion

> dereliction of duty to Cardassia
> Garak

Say what now?

If you haven't read "A Stitch in Time", I'd seriously recommend not reading the spoilers. It's fairly short and genuinely worth the read.

In "A Stitch in Time" his betrayal of Tain was last chance that he was sleeping with the wife of a prominent Gul. Tain then ordered him to kill that Gul

There is, to be fair, a lot of context-sensitive wiggle room when it comes to Garak's betrayal. But the important thing is that it was perceived as treason. Garak is an example of how badly you can get burned for abandoning Cardassia's current principles, or rather, being on the losing side during a struggle to redefine those principles

>The only real exception to this is Ziyal. I think Dukat may have genuinely loved her and her mother.
Notice how he only ever gives a shit about Ziyal in order to get to Kira. I can't think of a single moment where Dukat actually showed genuine fatherly love for his own daughter that wasn't just another way to try and get into Kira's pants.

When she dies and he completely snaps, he's not doing it to get to Kira, he's just doing it because he cares. It's kinda the proof that he gives a shit, even if he's bad at expressing it.

And even then he didn't snap just because of Ziyal, he snapped because he lost literally everything in one instant.

According to Ziyal he never acted ashamed of her while they were on Cardassia and even made a point to bring her to all the sites and make up for lost time.

He also was furious with Kira for allowing Ziyal to be friends with Garak, believing he was protecting his daughter from bad associations. That doesn't jibe with wanting in Kira's pants, why would he have threatened her if he wasn't concerned about his daughter?

He cares, he's just shitty at showing it (because he's a shitty person).

I still can't believe we had an episode of Star Trek where one of the villains calls up the XO and says "happy birthday oh by the way I literally fucked your mom." Dukat is hall of fame material for that alone.

I still can't believe we had an episode of Star Trek where BEVERLY CRUSHER FUCKED A GHOST.

Dukat is viewed with contempt by pretty much all Cardassians we see. Why? Because he is obviously self-serving. As stated, Cardassians value self-sacrifice, putting the needs of the community (which in DS9 time is code for "the State") before all. Obviously, a lot of people, especially ambitious people, are not going to idealize that virtue. Kinda like Klingons - they talk a lot about honor and stuff, but a lot of the Klingons we see don't live up to their ideals. However, both Klingons and Cardassians make a big effort to look like they're living their own respective ideals.
The problem with Dukat was that, again, he was publicly obvious about not living them. He was very obviously out for himself, against all other considerations. Sure, he talked the talk, but only because he had to give at least that much consideration to society's views, in order to get himself ahead. And to top it all off, it was obvious he felt he deserved what he was looking to get, that Cardassia owed him. When it was obvious to all that Duras was craven, the Klingon High Council had to act as disgusted as they felt the whole time, since that's what honor required. However, the Cardassians couldn't do similar to Dukat, even though they were all similarly disgusted with him, until he too proved himself just as craven in their system (when he legitimized Ziyal instead of rejecting her).
Dukat's thing was that, despite how despised he was by pretty much everyone, he was actually good at what he did. He's a delusional narcissist, but he's more than competent (which probably further fed his personality flaws). He understands Cardassians, at least, so was able to play the field, and see where he needed to be, when he needed to be there, and what he needed to do to increase his own prestige and position.
His biggest flaw, though, was his Bajoran fetish - both in the sexual sense, and the psychological sense. It became a serious blind spot for him, and eventually ruined him.

Don't know if anyone is interested, but the guy who wrote the Gray Book just released a version of FASA Trek written under the Cepheus Engine 2d6 SciFi OGL.

He's essentially taken the old FASA Trek, updated it a bit, added a few races from the later series, and re-written it for Mongoose Traveller.

mediafire.com/file/f22onfg8dywzeq3/Star_Trek_Alpha_Quadrant.pdf

>grew up with Voyager's "WE'LL BE BACK NEXT WEEEEEEEEEEK" Borg Queen
>missed out on superior spoonhead antagonist

I know that feel, man.

At least you can watch them now.

That might actually be the worst episode ever

Sorry I can't hear you over the sounds of Shades of Grey.

>also grew up with Borg Queen's moustache-twirling villainy
>was completely put off watching DS9 by Seska Bangs Wannabe Klingons Just To Fuck Over Chakotay: Part 9

>drawing conclusions about canon based on a non canon source

>Not reading the second half of the post

It bears mentioning the book was written by Andrew Robinson (Garak) during the filming of DS9 so he could get in the mindset of Garak. So during filming that was the material that he was drawing on.

Alidar Jarok, what an excellent spy, too excellent a spy, killed in the line of duty and never dropping his deep cover persona, a true Romulan hero to the core.
Too bad about his daughter though, damn traitor.

To be fair, apart from the park, it is rather drab.

The Borg Queen is hawt

>Subnuke is now a boff power
>Photonic fleet made useful again
>TR fixed
>Exotic damage getting a buff overall
>Boarding parties buffed
>Grav torpedo fixed
>Cannon firing cycle extended
>FAW and Overload reduced from autism-tier endgame fuckery
>Tac powers fixed
Cry more into the wallet you emptied minmaxing, and let the rest of us enjoy the fucking game.

I'm into some weird shit (and Star Trek is probably to blame for some of it), but I have to disagree man.

To each their own.

I'll be collecting green hotties in chains and writing Vulcan Love Slave: The Reslavening Part 2 from the comforts of my Excelsior.

>Subnuke is now a boff power

They reverted that change for no raisin.

Data thinks she's hot

And what is Locutus staring at?

So a while back people were saying that there was no viewing guide for Enterprise. So I went and made one because I had started re-watching the show.

Here you go:

I assume the ratings are related to the specific series quality rather than across star trek as a whole?

Nice work on the spoiler-free, mostly neutral summaries btw. I'd have not been able to stop with things like 'the one where rape is funny as long as its male victim' or 'we're so stupid we forgot planets are big until the end'.

It really isn't. It's bad don't get me wrong but compared to the shit in Season 1 it's only regular shit, it's not hyper-shit.

M-Class Podcast.

So that's what, 80% of major cities in the world from the air?

Exactly, you'd expect their capital to be well within a 20% that have more interesting shapes and inspired architecture than grey concrete literally everywhere.

yeah, the quality and importance is specific to the series. i considered dividing down the "Okay" section into just good or bad but honestly I couldn't muster enough love or hat for any of them to qualify them.

>couldn't muster enough love or hat for any of them to qualify them.

That says so much about it as a whole.

Awesome, thanks user.

>Carbon Creek
>bad
Opinion discarded. Velcro thing was the only bad thing about it, and that was 30 seconds of the whole show.

I can't really put int words why i dislike Carbon Creek. I just feel a sort of nauseating hatred towards it. The only other episodes I feel similarly about are the various time-travel episodes that pop up.

I get that. It's a formulaic juxtaposition of advanced outsiders over the corniest era of Americana. That comes with a certain level of divisiveness. If you enjoy the aesthetics of that era you'll probably get some kicks from the episode, but "awkwardness caused by aliens trying to blend in on Earth" is something that Trek has done before and much better. Nobodies going to argue that Carbon Creek holds a candle to The Voyage Home.

Is it a bad episode? I don't really know. It's certainly not good but I'd probably give it a dismissive "okay" if I were feeling generous.

Why does the playtest doc for Star Trek Adventures make reference to Conan?

Modiphius' previous game with the same system was a Conan adventure game. They probably just copy/pasted sections from there.