Connected to SeattleNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files:
>Technomancers__Joke_or_serious_Threat?.trid
>A_GOD_in_the_Machine.knwsft
>Cyberdecks__Price_reduction_in_sight?.thread
>Resonance_Realms.sim

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 1337 (42% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Yo, chummer.'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* No Currently Running File

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Matrix Edition
What Houserules do you use? What are your biggest exploits? Are you a 1337 D3CKZ0R? Or is your toaster the only High-Tech device you own?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.gyazo.com/9c141174de93ba45af62ba8bf63ecd94.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My favorite house rule is that spirits don't get immunity to natural weapons or Auto success in defense.

>Are you a 1337 D3CKZ0R? Or is your toaster the only High-Tech device you own?
I've always wanted to run a scavenger-tech character, who runs completely off the grid, no wireless tech.

Sadly, the rules make this suck.

No chunky salsa.

>My favorite house rule is that spirits don't get immunity to natural weapons or Auto success in soak.

This but slightly modified. Spirit summoned less or equal to your magic dont get it. Spirit summoned higher than your magic score get it but they dont get autosuccess on the the soak.

Mages and adepts start with the "sensitive system" quality and mage also get "simsense vertigo" quality. Aspected magicians dont get this qualities.

Adepts must choose a free way at chargen but any adept power outside of the concept of the way is subject to DM approval. Adepts of rigging or decking adepts are forever banned.

And "Catch-up/Break" action from a chase is a contested roll not a retarded threshold one. To avoided every rigger to loose any pursuir in a scooter.

Re did the whole weapons tables so as to make the katana, not the best sword.

Re did augmentation so they dont just give you a shitty + bonus or a + to limits. But instead reduce threshold.

Re did internal router to clearly state with which augmentations is compatible and which isnt.

Head shot from 4th edition is back.

Matrix perception is a free action.

If you put the 3rd mark in something you gain a free matrix action to use only on that objective.

Putting a mark on the host puts automatically a mark on all IC from the host. When you reach 40, in the OS the host spider is alerted than there is someone illegally there.

If you buy cyberware upgrade or cyberdecks you only have to pay the difference between your current one and the one you want (in the case of for example buying synaptic booster 3 when you got 2).

Payment for runs is more but living cost go up too as to justify running instead of just doing 1 run and living well off for 6 months.

Deltaware is not super rare anymore, if you got the money you can get it.

Knowledge skill go from 1 to 4 and each level give you automatic info, no roll needed

I hate some of these and love others, so they probably work pretty well for your table.

I buff the damage of Shotguns so that budget shotguns do 11P, good shotguns do 12P, and forbidden guns do 13P.

Saps do stun damage.

I let Cyberware and Bioware upgrade ratings. Cyberware is 50% less cost. Cyberlimbs can be Enhanced up to 4. Cyberarms have an equal Capacity to their leg equivalents.

Matrix Actions are simple actions. Technomancers have Skinlink, can be a part of PANs/WANs, and can run Programs like a Cyberdeck (except for Configurator).

Fug I meant to quote to

>It's hard to be without modern technology in this cyberpunk game

How feasible could someone like pic related be as a character in Shadowrun?
Obviously no time travel shenanigans, I just mean someone who's ridiculously smart and can pull plans out of their ass. I'm thinking a face/decker or face/mage might be the best for this sort of thing. I know a smart character is only as effective as the player, aside from taking that common sense quality.

Depends entirely on whether the GM will enable your Mary Sueness with shit writing and inconsistent application of the rules of the universe.

I can't say you're wrong there.
I get what you mean though. I meant more someone who outwits people as opposed to outgunning them. I love the latter, but wouldn't mind a change in pace.

There's no 'roll X to come up with a cool plan' rule. Common Sense just stops you from fucking up too badly. All the thinking and outwitting is on you. At best read Cutting Aces and learn your cons.

So there's nothing stopping you from doing it, but nothing that mechanically supports it either.

Also, the Doctor was a shit choice when 'criminal mastermind' is a literal archetype found all over media and is more applicable to SR.

Anyone watching this? It's like a peek into the fresh-faced coder behind the 5e Matrix - distributed processing enabled via constant networking - before his inevitable fucking by the corps.

>Sensitive System
Why? It's irrelevant.

>Free Way
Alright, but what do you mean by any power outside of that way? For the discount? Or just at all? If it's at all, then what the fuck, man.

>Driver Adepts
Why is this even a problem? Like, legit question here, I really don't even get how a non-rigger driving adept would ever be an issue.

>Weapons table
The Katana wasn't the best? That's the Highland Forge Claymore.

>Internal Router
Just let it do all Wireless bonuses. It's fucking .7 Essence, and 'ware characters get fucked enough already.

>Head Shot
You mean Called Shot: Vitals.

>Living costs
Living costs for even a medium lifestyle are already upwards of 5,000 per month, bare minimum. If your runners are seriously making 30,000 Nuyen each, per run, AFTER other expenses, then you're probably at the point where nobody really cares about the lifestyle book-keeping game.

>Knowledge skills
I'm somewhat conflicted. It makes it functionally impossible that you ever forget something in your field, and it doesn't really address the problem that you just get too few actual points to spend for knowledge anyway. Int+Log x6 really should be the minimum.

not him, but:
>>Sensitive System
>Why? It's irrelevant.
The intent IIRC is to make it harder for awakened to get cyber, unlike now where every powerful awakened has SOME ware

>>Free Way
>Alright, but what do you mean by any power outside of that way? For the discount? Or just at all? If it's at all, then what the fuck, man.
With "outside the Way" I think he means any power that Way does not discount. So if your way does not give you Commanding Voice you need to consult the GM before getting it

>>Driver Adepts
>Why is this even a problem? Like, legit question here, I really don't even get how a non-rigger driving adept would ever be an issue.
Because AFAIK Adepts can get LOLFU dice pools for driving

>>Weapons table
>The Katana wasn't the best? That's the Highland Forge Claymore.
IIRC it's better because it has a higher ACC, better conceal, costs FAR less and is CharGen legal

>>Internal Router
>Just let it do all Wireless bonuses. It's fucking .7 Essence, and 'ware characters get fucked enough already.
Ehh, the internal router should only replace those communications between ware, not boni that depend on matrix access (like the Smartgun bonus)

Can't really disagree with your other points

>Because AFAIK Adepts can get LOLFU dice pools for driving

The whole point of adepts is that they get large dice pools at the expense of versatility. It's a solved problem, unless the GM is so free with karma and initiation requirements that the adepts grow exponentially faster than everyone else.

On a fluff note, I hate the idea of banning adepts from interacting with any tech more advanced than a sharp stick. Man meets magic and machine, omaes; saying a keyboard or steering wheel would reject a user because the user happens to shoot lightning out of his ass is antithetical to Shadowrun.

>Sensitive System
>Why? It's irrelevant.
>The intent IIRC is to make it harder for awakened to get cyber, unlike now where every powerful awakened has SOME ware

It forces technomancers and Awakened to make a Willpower (2) roll whenever they use their powers. Failure means adding +2 Drain/Fade to the value of whatever ability they're using. Dunno if it's supposed to be instead of or on top of though, since the quality assumes those characters aren't taking many augs to begin with.Has this been errata'd or something? I keep seeing no one make any mention of this whenever Sensitive System comes up.

Not the guy, but you can't argue that all awakened getting sensitive system is a good touch.

Mage fags need nerfing, specifically adepts. That's why most of these rules being aimed at them.

Like, it's literally just an extra fuck you that doesn't really do anything. If you're using your powers with any real degree of regularity, you're going to have a high Will. It's just a fact. You're going to pass the roll.

IIRC magic was never intended to interact with tech in the SR universe. Hints tech being a dead spot in astral space.

I think it's more about the increased essence cost of Ware than the drain roll.

Alright, but why? Nobody takes 'ware on Awakened other than reddit niggers that play in RunnerHub and ShadowNet.

Well that's obviously why then. Lol

Alright, but it's still doing the Drain bit, and why are you playing with people from reddit in the first place?

The astral world doesn't interact with technology, true. But mages and adepts aren't astral beings; they're people who can use magic.

It's flat retarded to say, "OK, you have a magic score? Turn in your commlink and driver's license, you travel via magic carpet and send messages via talking birds."

I never said anything about sensitive system. There's a difference between rules used for 'ware, and rules used for random objects you might touch that happen to use electricity.

How are Adepts a problem?

I don't think he's insinuating that you can't use comm links.

Gunslinger that rolls 20+ Dice and has monster initiative. For one.

I'm trying to follow his logic. Adepts can't drive, and they can't be deckers... why could they use commlinks? You can get stuff for a commlink that lets it hack. Are adepts just banned from putting points into any skill the GM thinks might be a problem? Can they only put one point into Computer so they can work basic appliances, but not a deck?

Me personally, once again not the guy, I would seem that any decking done in hot sim would receive no benefit from your magic, non-hotsim sure. Same with driving, jumped in nope, but manual, sure.

I would deem*

Unfortunately some of us have to find groups over the internet. This sort of behavior isn't confined to Reddit, I've seen it on roll20 quite a bit.

Can't people match that with the right 'ware, maybe a quality or two?

This picture annoys me. Why would you have a cyber arm and keep your regular hand? That'd be like getting cyber legs and keeping your regular feet. I live broken bones as much as the next guy, but come on.

Not like an adept can. And it's comparatively much less expensive. Not to mention the other benefits you receive for being magical.

maybe that part is also cyber, just flesh colored?
maybe that isn't a cyberarm, just overlying armor/clothing?

I was running it was just clothing, which made me think it was even dumber to get a "cyber Ware" sleeve. So I'm gonna go with the hand is the only thing she could afford with the realistic cyberware. Lol

I was thinking*

Synthskin ist expensive, chummer.

I can follow that. The problem some people have with adept deckers/drivers is that they don't need to jump in - they boost their init and do it all in AR, soaking the penalties and keeping their brains safe from feedback. But to do that they need to buy into those skills heavily, like adepts always do, so I don't have a balance issue with it.

True. Off topic a bit, but synthskin's scale on the availability is fuckin retarded too. When you compare how much the cost barely scales.

Don't underestimate the power of dumb trends - there's a very real chance that it's totally just a sleeve.

It makes sense that, if you could only afford to make part of the arm realistic, you'd choose the hand. You can shake hands firmly without crushing bones, run your fingers down someone's face without them recoiling from the touch of cold steel, etc.

It's actually a neat character trait if you run with it. She's got a casemod on the chrome for the street cred, but she secretly wishes she never needed the arm at all.

I think it's a fair way of doing it without making them useless at it and also without making them the defacto go to for it. Also if you do the whole "awakened get simsense vertigo" like the guy was saying, it kinda prevents them from doing it in AR too. But, I don't know if I'd keep that rule because it applies to too many scenarios.

True

Also true, just the case mod seems like a waste of money. But, the no accounting for fluff. Good point user.

/srg/ how cheese is it to take the restricted gear quality at gen so you can get a suprathyroid gland?

>Why is this even a problem? Like, legit question here, I really don't even get how a non-rigger driving adept would ever be an issue.

I should have clarified, i meant rigging/deckers. I guess i can see a adept of the athlete way being very good at driving ala Fast and furious but things like a decker who is also an adept and puts all his PP in bosting his decking irks me. I like to keep magic and technology as separate as possible,

So yes, if your power selection doesnt fit thematically to the way you choose i will probably say no.

>The Katana wasn't the best? That's the Highland Forge Claymore.

Outside of that one, that is a very notorious sword, the katana is better in everyway than normal swords, rapier or even IRC the monofilament sword. Not in, it has some pros and cons but better in every stats.

>Just let it do all Wireless bonuses. It's fucking .7 Essence, and 'ware characters get fucked enough already.

You do remember that the write up for internal router just say "This allows the use of some wireless functionality" with no clue as to with what it does and doesnt interact. I mean i already re do all the augs, might as well put my autism to good use.

>You mean Called Shot: Vitals.

I didnt mean a shitty "-2 to the roll +2 to damage" but a "add armor to defense and if they pass, they ignore armor on the soak". My player wanted that rule.

>Living costs for even a medium lifestyle are already upwards of 5,000 per month, bare minimum. If your runners are seriously making 30,000 Nuyen each, per run, AFTER other expenses, then you're probably at the point where nobody really cares about the lifestyle book-keeping game.

Well this is something more of our games than anything else but we really do focus a LOT on the lifestyles choices and integrate mechanics into the narrative. However we really dont care for "other expenses" such as buying new throwaway vehicles of constantly burning SINs.

Just get a used one

Doesn't really help as even a used STG has Avail 16

Why did you reply to the post five different times instead of just going point by point, user?

And Called Shots are -4 to the roll.

Also, the Katana is literally the same as the Monosword. The Vibro Sword is better than it, and so is the Combat Axe.

No it isn't? It's 8F. Hell, it's only fucking 50,000 if you use the 2050 one.

>and it doesn't really address the problem that you just get too few actual points to spend for knowledge anyway. Int+Log x6 really should be the minimum.

It really does solve it, kinda. With the level being 1 to 4
1- Dabbler (general knowledge)
2- Professional (Detailed knowledge)
3- Veteran (Intricate knowledge)
4- Expert (Obscure knowledge)

and getting the same points as before it means that you got more point to put in necessary knowledge's for you choose "profession" because you only really need a 2 for those. And give ways for more flavorful choices like kaiju movies, etc

>On a fluff note, I hate the idea of banning adepts from interacting with any tech more advanced than a sharp stick. Man meets magic and machine, omaes; saying a keyboard or steering wheel would reject a user because the user happens to shoot lightning out of his ass is antithetical to Shadowrun.

On a fluff note i personally hate that adepts replace skills. Man meets magic and machine. Not man meets machines via magic. Its a highly personal choice for flavor so i cant defend it more than "i hate it".

>I'm trying to follow his logic. Adepts can't drive, and they can't be deckers... why could they use commlinks? You can get stuff for a commlink that lets it hack. Are adepts just banned from putting points into any skill the GM thinks might be a problem? Can they only put one point into Computer so they can work basic appliances, but not a deck?

I never said they couldnt drive or use a commlink or can be deckers by putting points in the skills, i said that their PP expenditure is the thing i limit.

>Why did you reply to the post five different times instead of just going point by point, user?

Sorry i am on a shitty phone, and it losses the writting screen when if i dont click quote.

>What Houserules do you use?

Ban the magic spell that give extra initiative passes. Either be an adept or get wired/synaptic, gotta nerf those fucking mages.

I'm just guessing a cheap casemod because of the brass bands on it. Could be an off-the-shelf model from a company with some appreciation of style.

It still is 16 availability used man. Idk where you're pulling your info from.

Where the fuck do you see it being 8F?
And Used only reduces the Avail by 4 in 5e and by 1 in 4e

>Reading comprehension
i.gyazo.com/9c141174de93ba45af62ba8bf63ecd94.png

So what, they can't get Improved Ability (Pilot Groundcraft), but they can use Improved Reflexes to drive?

Chummer, the 2050's version is only available IF YOU PLAY IN THE 2050'S

>Reading comprehension

Don't bother with this guy, he's the retard yesterday who couldn't read a full sentence and tried to call someone else out for it.

Or if you were born in the 2050s or earlier.

You're not trying to say that you're playing some edgy teenaged runner, are you user?

Pretty much.

>Or if you were born in the 2050s or earlier.
Chummer, are you willing to tell me that you got it when you were 3 years old?

>using a splatbook designed for a specific era so that you can get around availability rules for the exact same product that exists in the regular rules

>Not playing a runner that's collecting social security

Chummer, assuming you are 18 at the time you get your STG in 2050 and that you are a young and budding runner
By 2076 (current date) you will have been a runner for 26 years
If you've been running for 26 years and didn't die, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU NEED SOCIAL SECURITY?
After running for 26 years you should be rich enough to be able to retire graciously, or be dead

>Re did internal router to clearly state with which augmentations is compatible and which isnt.
user, I would love to see your list.

I wasn't the guy user, I was just making a joke about the guys logic. Kek

But thank you for flaming him further. He deserves it.

>>Matrix Actions are simple actions.
How does that work for your table? Our decker is dominant enough with Fork.

I see now why you were so vehemently defending pixies yesterday you cheese Lord.

>playing Shadowrun
>Not being an edge Lord

Do you even shadows bro?

So I've been wanting to GM a cyberpunk-y, dystopian sci-fi kind of game lately, but I have some problems. I don't think Cyberpunk 2020 has aged terribly well and I'm not a huge fan of the way Shadowrun blends magic and sci-fi. It's certainly a unique setting with interesting lore, but not what I'm really looking for. I'm wondering if it's possible to play an edition of Shadowrun stripped of magic, or if anyone here knows of any good games that kind of fit what I'm looking for. I just figured this general would be the best place to ask.

Leverage RPG? Blades in the Dark?

You can just cut the magic out if SR. Same with Technomancers (internet magic, dumbest shit in the game anyways). But fair warning I think it'll be quite the undertaking.

You could do GURPS and run whatever the fuck you want.

Is there any way to see into the future at all in SR5, in any form (except asking the GM)?

Is there any reason I should avoid skillwiring a monowhip? Aside from essence waste.

The only houseful I use is that magic's damage is net hits capped at force while AP is Force cast at, so a force 8 manabolt doesn't do 8P -8 AP +Net Hits versus only WP.

It's nowhere near as bad as the first iteration where all magic damage started at half force and could add net hits.

Favorite Exploit:
Be a Technomancer. Have a good drain resist.
Complie a Crack sprite and have it hack the Host.
Have it get two marks on the Host.
Once it has two marks on the Host, have it control the Host to grant your persona a mark, legitimately. Alternatively Spoof Command and do the same thing.
Dismiss Sprite.
You now have a legitimate mark and are inside the host with no overwatch and appear as a legitimate user, eliminating your need to hide from IC.
Repeat with whatever files you want.

Favorite Houserules:
Matrix perception is now a simple action and gives you a list of all devices that you beat their stay hidden roll within 100 ft.
Technomancers can use their agent's marks and all CFs are -3 drain. Technomancers can also port 4E streams to 5e. Resonance actions are invisible to all non-technomancers, even if you fail the check.
Decks are half off and the Crystal Leviathan Shatterstar is allowed in regular play.

All Awakened get Sensitive System.
Ware has availability -10 and deltaware clinics are as widespread as betaware clinics. The grade of the ware refers to the quality of the item not how it's bonded to your specific person.

The divination metamagic can answer questions about future events. You need the divination metamagic (under High Arts), "Augury And Sortilege" ritual (SG 124) and must be either able to assense the object/person/place or have a viable sympathetic link.
You make a test (LOG+Arcana+Grade) with a threshold of how specific the question was (From "Are my enemies catching up to me?" to "Is Mr. Johnson picking up his bribe this evening?"). The threshold table is on p125
Net hits determine how clear the answer is (1 net hit means a cryptic hint, 2 net hits mean vague but helpful answer, 3+ hits is what you want). Glitches give you slightly wrong answers, failure gives a non-answer.
Repeating the ritual is possible but increases the threshold by 1 each time you try unless the GM decides that something has changed

Chance of glitching?

Oh dang, that's just what I wanted. Thanks!

user, Manabolt doesn't care about armor at all.

Manabolt is literally, by RAW, just Spellcasting+Magic+Modifiers v Willpower+Counterspelling+Modifiers, with the damage being Net Hits.

INDIRECT COMBAT SPELLS are base damage of Force, with a -AP equal to Force, resisted by Reaction+Intuition+Modifiers at first, and then by Body+Armor+Modifiers-AP second.

Chummers what do you think about allowing mundanes access to the counter spelling skill?

Nah. If you want that, use Sum to Ten and take Priority D Magic for Aspected Sorcery.

If you're okay with some Monad powered bullshit, maybe introduce an experimental Cyberware modification that causes a dice pool penalty for spells targeting you. EVO offers your Street Samurai a test run of it in exchange for taking out a Wizgang Lieutenant.

No.

If you just use armor that's got Chem Seal, mages can't even cast on you. They need to use Indirect spells.

Interesting

>mages can't even cast on you
you what mate? More armor does not make casting mana spells against you harder in any way. Your aura is visible through it

It's objectively not.You have thick armor surrounding you, and it's explicitly NOT compatible with worn armor, which implies that it's purely external to you.

Just like being in a vehicle blocks your aura, so does power armor.

That's a interesting idea. I've never understood why casting against someone with almost no essence didn't just naturally take a penalty anyways.

Why would you say no to allowing mundanes to get counter spelling? Is there potential for abuse, or is it simply, no because mages.

chummer, the aura extends a few centimeters outside your body. Unless your armor is so thick that your are basically in a vehicle and not wearing something that explicitly blocks astral sight your aura extends past it and can be locked on

True, but if your essence is already basically at zero, didn't your aura realistically be much much smaller?

Shouldn't* I'm gonna murder Android 7's dog shit texting.

stuff you paid essence for is counted as part of your aura
So if you are in a tank and hold out your cyberarm you can be targeted through that, similarly as getting cybereyes lets you cast through them

Having lower essence affects your ability to be affected by Health spells (I think all of them, beneficial and negative).

There's not really a need to break the established rules of the setting to allow Mundanes to get counterspelling. Sum-to-ten makes it easy enough for Burnout Builds.

Augmentations are eventually incorporated into your Aura

Your aura isn't smaller, just less 'colored' (by lack of a better word) since there's less original meat to be influenced by mana.

It's kind of bullshit imo that having a lower essence really only hinders you when it comes to magic. No benefit against attacks, but try to get healed and that's when it takes effect.

I also didn't want it for burnouts. Just to give mundanes a chance against mages.

user. What part of "Powered Fucking Armor" do you not understand? Heavy Milspec and the other milspecs are infact literally extending a good 3-6 inches from your body, because you are basically in a fucking robot.

Not the guy, but most GMs I've played with outright ban the stuff. The hardened quality is super OP.

So I posted this as the last post in the previous thread, but I think it's time to repost it:
>Alright enough talk about special snowflake pixies. What are everyone's thoughts on someone playing a Metasapient AI?