astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/...

kd-hp

What?

How good is a Serpentine owl as a mount? Can I pair it with call lightning to rain death from above? What other spells would combo well with a flying mount?

Pally/lock vs pally/bard
can't decide halp

Does any mechanically inclined classes exist within Homebrew? Artificer is alright, but I was hoping for one that doesn't use magic.

Wrong UA

Druid spells to be more specific

>Artificer
>Homebrew
What?

Did I ever mention Artificer being homebrew? Cause I'm pretty sure I didn't

So it was a complete non-sequitur instead?

You may have autism

New UA: Revised Subclasses.
(because OP forgot to change)

>Does any mechanically inclined classes exist within Homebrew? Artificer is alright, but I was hoping for one that doesn't use magic.

What does this mean then?

First for:
The reason that sorcerers only regain 4 sorcery points and only as their capstone while wizards regain their two uses of 3rd level spells is that this lets the sorcerer store up spell slots by short resting during downtime without taking a long rest until they actually need to heal, restore hit dice, or regain a lot of spell slots.

If a wizard takes a week off to build a skeleton army, the sorcerer can spend that week gaining four fifth level spell slots for each short rest they take every day. (8 slots with two SR a day, 12 slots with three, and so on.)

I suppose it means you have poor reading comprehension

what was your favorite encounter

So this isn't really /5e/ exclusive, but I figured I'd ask here because there isn't a current DM thread. I ran my first session of my first campaign last night. 3 of my players were from a campaign I'd previously been a part of until that DM went to jail for cp, and two were friends of mine.

I started by "correcting" the homebrew rules and setup related things that the 3 previous players hated from our previous campaign and proceeded from there and everyone seemed to be having a ton of fun. However, I noticed one of the old players and one of the new players were mostly silent while the rest of the party handled a lot of the interaction with NPCs and tried to do more in combat than just rolling to hit, and even they tried to add flavor to their attacks with great descriptions.

I'm looking for tips on how to engage those two players a bit more while avoiding becoming That DM. It's too early to start dropping plot hooks so that's out. Old player is a Warlock and 1st timer is a Ranger if that helps at all? Maybe it's too early to worry about this in general?

It means he's okay on the artificer, but he wants a non-magic using mechanically minded class.
Since others don't exist within the published stuff, he's wondering what homebrew options are available.

MEME archery edition!

Wizards actually listening and responding to feedback is good.

Sorcerers being able to expend sorcerery points to heal themselves was a pretty good idea.

I'm not the first guy, but it seems pretty simple.
He asked for a mechanic-inclined homebrew, most likely because Artificer, the official mechanical class, doesn't quite fit his needs. What don't you get?

Which is exactly why you have 5e, the EditionTthat Almost Doesn't Suck But Doesn't Manage To Quite Get The Job Done.

Arcane Archer shoots at an enemy, misses, Curves the shot to a nearby Kensai Monk who uses Deflect Missiles to catch it and throw it back at the original target, misses, and rerolls the attack with unerring accuracy. Edition

At least it's not Autismfinder, where the public playtests and feedback mean nothing, because fuck you the devs are still going to write it how they feel like.

Thanks for actually explaining, but I got it, I just want to understand why does this idiot write like that. The redaction confuses me, it's meaning its clear in the worst way possible.

But without magic what does he want anyway, an engineer? Artificers have always been about magical stuff, be it the UA Artificer or the UA Eberron Artificer.

Anyone interested in seeing the differences between each version?

I am.

Me too.

Yes please.

If I remember Mercer's gunslinger is on the fighter chassis so no magic.

>pave the way to put their backstory into play.
>put some challenges that specifically require their skills and NPCs that take a liking to their characters, like:
>a herbalist that talks a lot about nature with the ranger, asks him to gather some specific plants when he's on the woods, gives him some crafting recipes maybe if you're into it
>the local goth girl approaches the warlock trying to get a pact as well
>have the patron ask the warlock to basically talk to some people, like:
>go to the library and ask for x book, read it and give me relevant info
>talk to the elder and try to get him to recount the event y, I need accounts of it in detail

Hello I'd like to play dungeons and dragons friends.

This is the list of spells Sorcerer'a get but Wizards don't:
Daylight
Dominate Beast
Earthquake
Enhance Ability
Fire Storm
Insect Plague
Water Walk

The opposite list is like 100 spells long

I like it with the exception of not really having a capstone

I like leaving a couple off for variety between builds. I would definitly add some new ones. Maybe even give Dragon Sorcerers the ability to choose a few spells to chamge elements on

Do it.

Pal-lock for blade has decent synergy, and access to cantrips is always good.

Please do.

The paladin my game died from a 400 foot fall (he chose to throw himself into a leaping strike against a Drider at the bottom of the ravine about to eat the Warlock, knowing that the fall damage would make him /very/ dead).

After he died, his spirit passed into his longsword, and the players are curious as to what effects it will have now. Any suggestions?

Yeah, although I'd also be tempted to give a random version to Wild Mages.

Archetype based metamagic would be a neat thing.

(Or just turn Spell Secrets into a metamagic option completely)

did you kill it?

The paladin did indeed kill the Drider.

The force of the impact from his body + the damage from his longsword killed her.

A bit long, but here I go.

>Party gets led to a dungeon as part of a test to join an adventurer guild
>Party is a cleric (me), rogue, paladin, and some other assorted casters
>Go through the dungeon, some shenanigans because it's a lot of the players' first time playing D&D
>Party comes to a chasm with three rope bridges spanning it
>To the left, there's an underground waterfall that looks like it's been frozen in time
>Each bridge has two levers at the end of each suspension rope
>We conclude that these levers let the attached rope loose
>We're still checking things out when another party (maybe 5 people) appears on the other side of the chasm
>They declare that they're here to defeat us even if it costs their lives
>Combat starts
>Enemies immediately pull the lever on their end for the northern bridge, causing the rope to fall away, leaving the bridge useless
>One of them starts moving down the middle bridge and another moves down the southern bridge, knowing we won't risk destroying anymore bridges
>Paladin moves down the middle bridge to meet the enemy, rogue follows to support him
>I position myself between the party and the southern bridge, ready to intercept the other enemy
>The casters start doing their thing, mostly trying to fuck with the remaining enemies on the other side

(1/2)

>Level 8
>Battlemaster Fighter, Valor Bard, Wild sorcerer and War Cleric
>Out of the Abyss
What do I play?

+1 longsword afraid of heights

So that Arcane Archer revision makes me want to multi-class my longbow rogue into it. I just can't decide on the class spread, I've never got to play a Rogue so not sure which ones are worth giving up.

I'll be level 8 soon so with 12 levels to work with it seems like the most efficient is either 3 or 8. 8 so I can get the normal ASI and the curving shot(along with an extra attack)and 3 just enough for permanent +1 ammo and two arcane shots.

Just not sure whether giving up some of the rogue(Thief archetype)skills is worth it or not to just dip my toes in or go all in multiclass.

What books are you allowed to use in the first place?

Dawnbringer, but afraid of heights and can cast Jump on the wearer.

>Suddenly the time frozen waterfall starts slowly unfreezing
>Starts surging towards the bridges in slow motion, likely going to sweep them away
>The casters get spooked and start dropping the heavy stuff
>One of the enemies on the other side goes down to spells
>Southern enemy finishes crossing the bridge, but gets hit with Sleep before he can hurt anyone
>Another enemy starts crossing the southern bridge
>Someone hits the rope on the southern bridge with an acid spell, which breaks it and sends the enemy on it into the chasm
>Paladin downs the enemy in the middle, crosses the bridge, and engages the last guy on the other side of the chasm
>Waterfall is moving faster and overtakes the remains of the northern bridge
>Casters quickly cross the middle bridge and help the paladin finish off the last enemy
>Middle guy is still alive, so my good guy cleric decides to stabilize him and carry him across
>Ask the rogue to help, but when it comes to his turn he bails and crosses the bridge without me
>Have to carry the guy myself
>Barely cross in time before the waterfall overtakes the middle bridge and then returns to normal speed
>There's a hallway leading to the end of the dungeon
>Leave the guy there for the guild to pick up later
>Tell him my name when he asks for it
>DM takes a note before telling us to continue

I don't think we ever got a clear answer about who those guys were. Maybe they were just other guildies that the guild was willing to pay resurrection costs for or something. Or maybe just some sort of constructs.

1d4 smites per day recharge at dawn, base level. Also once per day the wielder can use their reaction to gain Feather Fall.

College of Swords Bard with a multiclass into Paladin? Other then multiclassing UA it seems like a fun character.

Anything. UA is fine too, but no mystic

Either Oath of Devotion or Oath of Ancients Paladin, smite evil user.

>but no mystic
Bummer.
Take the Barbarian Ghoulcaller, sounds fun.

>483 replies
Stop being lazy

There's no substitute for bard

Take 3 or 5 levels. Action Surge and the Fighting Style will be enough for you, with the magic shit and Extra Attack as gravy.

I don't know much about Out of the Abyss, but that's the one that happens in the Underdark, right? I'd imagine that a Deep Stalker Ranger would be a good fit for that.

Turn him into a Hexblade.
Do it faggit!

Shadow monk

If the Warlock wasn't Pact of the Tome, that'd be perfect.

I'm with this user, there's some cool potential there.

Goblin Deepstalker. bonus action hiding from everything, everywhere. Plus I've heard that Rangers are good in OotA.

Ya, spell secrets ald alchemical casting could all be broken down into multiple metamagics

No I think he means make the Paladin into a Hexblade with some "I'm actually the weapon" memes.

He can switch pacts.

No i mean the Paladin becomes a Hexblade patron.

Ah.

He already chose to roll a Barbarian and is greatly enjoying his greataxe.

pls read:
>Paladin becomes a Hexblade patron
Oh I see, that's much less retarded than what I was thinking.

Maybe.

I'll ask her if she'd like to switch pacts. She'll probably say no, since her character is obsessed with collecting tomes.

Maybe bump it up to 6 for a bit of extra HP and the 6th level ASI for Fighters could work. Well its extra stats or Slippery Mind.

5 definitely seems like a good solid choice though.

If you're going through the effort then please do.

Technically you can be a Tome Hexblade. I mean I don't really see why you would, but it's possible and with GFB/BoomBlade you don't "need" the extra attack invocation from Blade anyways.

And since they'd presumably have the sword on hand anyways they wouldn't need to summon one anyways.

Our DM doesn't actually award XP, just levels. Is this ok or should I confront her? It is kind of simpler this way but some mechanics do involve XP and I do like seeing them numbers go up.

Second question: I've just hit level 3 and am choosing between Devotion and Vengeance for my Paladin. We're playing CoS currently. Help me decide please.

Milestone leveling is literally the patrician way to play.

Devotion, uphold the ideals of good and wanting to save the land from darkness.

Also it's a suggested alternative in one of the books if I remember correctly so no real issue.

The pact can still be tome for a Hexblade patron. What is the warlock's current patron?

>some mechanics do involve XP

Like what?

Milestone leveling is fine, I prefer XP but don't worry about it.

Also Devotion for sure, Charm immunity is very good in CoS.

This is truth, especially since it tamps down on the "I have to kill everything for exp" but then I imagine only a shitty gm actually allowing that stupidity

Vengeance. Don't listen to , since the land is literally impossible to save. You might as well avenge it.

The campaign guide for Curse of Strahd tells the DM to award levels based on milestones, so she's doing that right

Otherwise getting lost in the wilderness and set upon by dire wolves would offer some kind of reward rather than just grinding you down, bleeding you out slowly, slowly, until the master decides it's time for this little game to end - and then... kill my pretties! Kill them all!

Well I know some stuff from deck of many things drains your xp and some res spells I think? Not sure.

She's a GOO-Lock, serving a-believed-to-be-dead god that is now aware of her leeching power from him (well, it) and demanded she retrieve a tome or be punished.

She's really digging the idea of her character being so scared of this entity she's been stealing power from that she ends up in bad situations, so I dunno if she'd want to change.

Hexblade is the patron.

Tome is just a subclass feature.

One of the deck of many things results grants you 50,000 XP and one drains a level, but there aren't any decks in CoS as far as I can remember

Ok you have confused me further. Vengeance for the fluff and Devotion for the mechanics then if I understand correctly? Unfortunately, that was also why I'm in the predicament in the first place (and I really like the vengeance spells).

Is there a better dataset for 5e on PCGen?

I said don't listen to him. Go Vengeance. It's so good you could literally solo Strahd.

Trust, when you get to a certain point you will literally hate yourself for not getting the Charm Immunity.

Without spoilers, remember that Vampires are big on mind control effects.

I'd go with your original idea and leave it at a magic sword.

Be Devotion, become the bright heart of your party

So they can all be distraught when you're singled out as being a threat and dispatched with extreme prejudice

I mean, it's her character and if she's happy with what she has, there's no sense in taking that away from her. Just float the idea and see how she reacts, since Hexblade patron is a pretty cool way to keep the paladin memorable.

Devotion mechanics are better for party support, but yes, the Vengeance spell list and mechanics let them really fuck up one dude's day.

>Vengeance
>Taking the edge way because it easier

Vengeance Paladins were a mistake.

Honestly it comes down to what appeals to you more. Me I'm tired of seeing vengeance paladins because everyone plays them now thinking it gives them a free pass to do what ever.

Also even though it maybe "hopeless" to help the land rp wise I'd make it interesting even if your paladin were to realize his but not give up anyway.

T-thanks 5eg. Have this cat.

Yeah, it's definitely a cool idea and I'll ask her about it.

The Paladin told me he'd prefer if the Bard took up the sword, so while the Warlock studies its properties, we'll see if the Bard is willing to take up his fallen friend's blade.

It's not easy, it's the sane option
>beat strahd
>don't read next line, future Vengeance pally
>he comes back in a few months anyway
Just fucking kill him in 2 turns and go away.

My current character (lv10) will probably die permanently next session so planning my backup.

Wanting to go Bladesinger and try multi classing for once but can't decide between Fighter 2 -> Bladesinger 8 or Fighter 1 -> Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler) -> Bladesinger 6

My level 1 stats before modifiers 6, 16, 14, 15, 10, 12 and my DM gives us a free feat regardless of variant human or not. Taking Dual Wielder.

Dilemma

>Just Fighter dip gets more spells and earlier Song of Victory + Action Surge

>Rogue route has infinite skills, 2d6 Sneak, Fancy Footwork, +1 initiative / not requiring more people to active sneak

It'll be 6 levels at least until I can add my Int mod to attacks so I'm leaning towards just going with the rogue route as we have pretty long encounters and the 2d6 every round will go further than action surge / more spells.

I need someone to confirm my beliefs or call me retarded, either or.

What Figurine of wonderous power makes the best mount (thats not the obsidian steed because its too obvious an answer ) /5eg/?

Ths fly?

Tower of Grey.

Ancestor Barbarian, Blade Bard or Arcane Archer? We've got a new game in a week and all of these appeal to me strongly.

I'd either be a Dwarven Barbarian with talkative ancestor spirits, a Tabaxi Bard who was a noble in his homeland or a Human Fighter who had an abusive Elven step-dad and is so emo.

Why is Tower of Grey a superfly but Superfly is a grey tower?