MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

This thread is for the competitive discussion of the modern format. Kitchen table discussion is not welcome, but they don't read OPs anyway.

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
> mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
> mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/gamingcontentblog/2017/4/24/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-42417

>>Playing?
BW E&T

>>Brewing?
just jamming lots of games with E&T

>>Metagame thoughts?
modern rewards experience over deck selection.

Stormfag here, what would a good sideboard for a typical RU Gifts Storm deck look like? I'm kinda having trouble deciding.

>Modern
>Competitive
Maybe when Tron is banned and real decks can be played instead of aggrocomboshit.

I play skred

rate or h8

its generic

// 60 Maindeck
// 10 Artifact
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Mind Stone
1 Batterskull

// 8 Creature
2 Eternal Scourge
3 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

// 3 Enchantment
3 Blood Moon

// 9 Instant
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Skred
1 Magma Jet

// 22 Land
2 Scrying Sheets
20 Snow-Covered Mountain

// 7 Planeswalker
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4 Koth of the Hammer
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

// 1 Sorcery
1 Anger of the Gods

// 14 Sideboard
// 5 Artifact
SB: 4 Dragon's Claw
SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage

// 3 Instant
SB: 2 Ricochet Trap
SB: 1 Word of Seizing

// 6 Sorcery
SB: 2 Shattering Spree
SB: 3 Molten Rain
SB: 1 Anger of the Gods

t. salty Jund player

Midrange was a mistake. God bless Tron for keeping that shit out of the format.

Why isn't Boros Reckoner played in Skred anymore?

Trying to play reckoner with mind stone and/or scrying sheets really sucks on turn 3.

You can still run it, its just a bit less smooth in this version.

I see, I just don't really understand Skred without Reckoner.

You just hold the skred for enemy threats.

Koth, Pia & Kiran and any mix of Sarkan/Batterskull/Dark dwellers do the work.

Eternal scourge is just great multi-use fodder. Usually get 2 or 3 casts of him.

Chandra is really good and I want to try her out in a Reckoner version because she can sort of mana fix.

Why do we even need to separate "competitive" from everything else? Not like adding kitchen table shit will make the threads any less dead.

r8 my bug pls

trying no bauble
wanting bauble
what do

Because the fact that some people still enjoy playing the game drive some Modernfags mad

>pileofgoodstuff.dec
Play a more interesting deck

>MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL
>(Competitive Discussion)
>Play a more interesting deck
hmmm

what do you have so far?

mine looks something like this

1 shatterstorm
1 shattering spree
2 empty the warrens
2 blood moon
3 lightning bolt
2 anger of the gods
2 dispel
2 echoing truth

So in terms of colour powerlevel in Modern, G>B>R>W>U ?

What's your point?
There is competitive interesting decks
>Lantern Control
>Affinity (to a lesser extent)
>Tron
>Burn
>Ad Nauseam
>Skred

>Affinity (to a lesser extent)
>Tron
>interesting

>I don't know what interesting means
I'm not talking about the piloting part, I'm talking about the deck tech at the very start
Basically, a pile of good cards without any creative gameplan, except "play the cards that come until I win" is uninteresting
Even if Tron is peas easy to pilot, it has a different gameplan

i know it's just another midrange goodstuffs but sultai is underdoge so that's interesting enough. it's got some fun aspects to it imho.
the $$$$$ general stuff is lame imo

Nah black is the best. Green's best turn 1 plays are mana dorks, unless you count cards for 90% colorless decks, which don't go well in the same deck as their best 2 mana card, goyf, and the best green 3 drop is probably finks.
Comparatively black has 3 great 1 cost cards, a few decent 2 drops and the best 3 drops.

I think the problem with kitchentable is that there isn't a constant powerlevel that you can judge the deck in like there is with competitive modern or legacy or vintage or whatever.

If your FNM scene is filled with Craw Wurm.decs then your fucking Ouphe tribal or 5 color aggro deck is amazing but if it's a real meta then it's not and then you got the 5 million cases in between those 2 extremes. If you tell the Kitsune tribal dude to put in paths, vials and a proper manabase then the result could be he dominates his kitchentable, friend cycle leading to bad feelings all around. There is no context.

>Affinity
>Not interesting

Math is hard, huh?

>he can't beat tron
Lol just play more lightning bolts you fucking baby

>Affinity
>Ad Nauseum
>Burn
>Interesting

Jesus Christ modern players are so fucking delusional. There are standard decks more interesting the brain-dead garbage some of you people play.

Is Esper Control close to being a playable deck? It seems like it's okay in the meta atm but I was looking for people's thoughts.

UW control is better at this point

Would it be worthwhile to play UW control with a black splash for Fatal Push?

t. Someone that can't read a postchain

>B-b-ban Tron guys it's ruining the format and I can't play fun stuff.

>ensnaring bridge and blood moon are fucking broken waaah!

>modern is too expensive, you guys are retarded paying for cardboard. I'm clearly the more intellegent anime board user.

>legacy is so much better than modern, you shouldn't even be discussing modern in a modern general. Legacy 4 lyfe.

>my kithkin deck, Dawg.

Shit posts as side. What are some sideboard cards you think are underplayed? I've been impressed with torpor orb in quite a few match ups (my meta has coco, saheeli, and Valakut)

lots of colorless enablers (either 0 drops or named lands) and payoffs is not an interesting nor creative gameplan

Oh so you're sticking with the made up definition of interesting that means boring decks for retards to pilot?
I see.

I'm pretty sure Torpor orb is highly meta dependant considering it doesn't do much against death's shadow or tron

>Still can't read
How are you even able to write sentences?

>lots of colorless enablers (either 0 drops or named lands) and payoffs is not an interesting nor creative gameplan
Hence the
>To a lesser extent
It's less imaginative than Lantern Control but still much more interesting than Jund goodstuff

I think you're just having some serious trouble understanding what words mean, if you can't seem to comprehend anything I've written or the definition of simple words...

Or you know, maybe "interesting" is a subjective adjective.

finally picked up the final pieces to lantern control

Ahhahahahaha the weakest fallback of all, "wahhh everything is subjective so I can find anything I want interesting."
Okay dude.
>Vomit your hand on turn 1 and turn everything sideways until someone loses
Fascinating
>Lightning Bolt Tribal
I can see the variance at work
>Play these two cards at the same time. You win if you do, you lose if you don't.
Real thought provoking stuff.

Although I guess in this subjective universe your mind is contentedly wrapped up in their mysterious complexities

>Affinity and Ad Nauseam
>Not interesting

I bet you're the kind of disgusting, mouthbreathing filth that plays braindead GBx midrange and thinks highly of himself because "it requires a lot of skill".

Ceremonious Rejection is super slept on.

I started at 1 and I'm all the way up to 3 in my board, though I'm likely to trim back to 2 for a third Surgical (Dredge heavy meta)

>Talks about piloting when the discussion at the start was about the deck tech
>Accuses other of not being able to read
I never said once that they were not boring to pilot/play against

>Playing

Will play my Zoo when I grab the remaining fetches and shocks.

>Brewing
Seriously considering jamming some 50 bucks budget decks like Mono-Black Control, 8Rack, maybe 8whack Goblins.

>Metagame
I dunno man I'm coming back to Magic after an hiatus, lost as shit.

Who here plays their deck not because its enjoyable but because it wins?

If everyone did that bgx would be the only deck.

Sounds like shit, bet you've never even cast a turn 2 emrakul

BGx doesnt win, it goes 2-2 after getting paired against Tron.

Bgx has the best win percentages across the board. There's no denying this.

I know I just like to meme about Tron giving them all their losses. Feels like Burns got a great win rate save for when its topdecking lands.

invocations still aren't tournament legal due to a technicality/10

Do you have a link to the mothership saying that the Invocations are not tournament legal yet?
Because they ARE legal as of the 28th
>But muh black borders
They have those.

Tron would be fine if WotC would actually print good land destruction (and to a much lesser extent, good planeswalker removal).

Right now tron is a "protected" combo deck. There are no good removal options for its combo pieces. Tron is basically babby's first combo deck because of the stupidity of Wizard's policies.

Hope you like Urza's Tower and Death's Shadow

Can we just get From the Ashes please

What is your opinion on Leyline of Sanctity in UW right now?

>3R: Target Tron player loses the game.
It would be a bit too powerful
Can Tron win with only one Ugin/Karn/Ulamog for the remainder of the game?

?

>tapping out turn 2
big mistake

Is crucible of worlds worth the price tag? I can get 2017 goyfs for the same price.

it depends on what deck your playing. Are you playing a control deck that wants to replay ghost quarter every turn or are you playing an actual deck?

If you play Legacy or Vintage where it's actually played sure.

Tron is retarded so they deserve it

The lands From the Ashes gets are untapped so you can take them off mana and still put down a threat to fight whatever big thing they just played.

Oh, right.
I feel like From the Ashes is a harder since Tron only has 1 basic land
>From the Ashes
>Tron loses at least 3 Tron pieces and maybe one "bicolor" land and keep a Forest
>Back to turn 1 while the opponent is on turn 4

>Crumble to Dust
>Tron player loses all of their Towers but still has 2-3 lands on the battlefield
>Back to turn 3 while the opponent is on turn 4

Yeah i agree that From the Ashes would hurt tron way harder once tron is online.

If you are able to cast From the Ashes before Tron is online, the Tron player deserves to lose anyway

>turn 1 mountain
>exile 3 SSG from hand
GG, tron players.

>Still have 2-3 cards in hand
Here is how you do it
>Turn 1 Swamp
>One with nothing

>modern rewards experience over deck selection.

I would disagree. Modern has a greater capacity for rogue decks to shine because it lacks powerful catch all answers (compared to other formats). You can easily run into a deck that you're not specced to fight and that makes experience pointless. There will be good match ups and bad match ups, but there will also be left field match ups that just catch you with your pants down. When getting ganked by blue black mill is a possibility it's hard to say experience matters.

I think with all magic, it's a mixture of both (especially in modern). You have to be able to analyze the field and predict what will be good in a given meta and choose your deck accordingly, but you also need the experience and skill with that deck to pilot games effectively.

I think Modern rewards players that choose and tune a couple different decks and can pilot those decks very well.

>no combo players at my LGS
>most of the black decks run infinite obliteration or lost legacy
Will I ever be able to run elves? What other wincon could I play besides ezuri?

Craterhoof? Splash black for Shaman of thr Pack? Don't play Elves?

>>Will play my Zoo when I grab the remaining fetches and shocks.
Didn't you start with the fetches and shocks? I thought it was common knowledge to start with the manabase.

You can play that janky cloudstone curio/evolutionary leap combo. Or like others have mentioned shaman of the pack.

The creatures were cheap so I grabbed them.

Still, no regrets, I got all the R/G Fetches, almost all G/W fetches, and all the GW Shocks. Just need muh stomping grounds and I'll be good to go.

Nigga elves have like 5 possible wincons, what are you smoking?

Grafdiggers cage.

Stop storm at all costs.

T R I G G E R E D

He can't really bluff since your best play is to run cat out regardless.

>playing BGx without packing T1 discard

Abzan is a joke.

Mono green has next to nothing besides ezuri and praying you ramp hard enough for craterhoof

This is a great post. This is why I like the modern competitive meta game, and by extension "netdeckers". It provides a standard of the decks-to-beat and you know what power level you have to build at.

I had that same struggle with my kitchen table friends; we started off building out of our collection and buying packs. Then as we got a little older, we realized we could enable really gross shit with stuff like Dark Ritual which is a really cheap single. Once you start brewing with singles, the only barrier to stronger decks is price point, and the games are over quicker.

I remember when my buddy said that combo wins turned him away from magic. That was about 5 years ago now, and I pretty religiously follow the metagame and brew semi-competitively, but my old kitchen table friends just never got in to playing with good cards.

>not getting stronghold bridges
Poor form user. Worse than getting MM Karns

Why the fuck would go monogreen to begin with? There is virtually no upside to staying in 1 color.

>What?!!
>Someone would actually play anything other than three-color good stuff?
>Impossible!

Are you retarded or pretending to be? If BM hurts you as a 2 color deck then you are a retard and if you bring in BM against a 2 color deck then your IQ is in the double digits.

>I think Modern rewards players that choose and tune a couple different decks and can pilot those decks very well.

No, it rewards knowing the basics of how to play plus seeing good matchups/donkey players.

There are way too fucking many 80/20 matchups in this shit format.

Fuck off with your shitty deck then. Just because you're bad doesn't make your asinine statements correct

>tron
>interesting

>Shit posts as side
man great posts like this are a diamond dozen

more like
>turn 1 mountain
>exile 3 SSG from hand
>realize you went first and they don't even have any lands out yet
>call the tron player a faggot and just leave
all about establishing dominance

i play skred too
i dont really like batterskull

run combustible gearhulk instead

Terrible advice

i run a reckoner list and i mill people for 20 all the time
two blasphemous act and anger of the gods, really easy win and its ffree

You disgrace Skred. Reckoners are fine but you're just memeing too hard

Seems fair to me.

UW is more popular but I think it's around the same power level as Esper. Esper is stronger against other fair decks but it doesn't have maindeck Tron/Valakut hate so it has to rely on sideboard cards (Extirpate and Runed Halo, respectively) to really lock down those MUs.

What version were you thinking of building? White Grixis, Esper Trascendant or full Draw-Go?

i also run insult//injury and on turn 5 i insult and skred my own reckoner for the win (it pumps it to 20)

Pls stop

i used to run shrine of burning rage