Where does your character fall?

Where does your character fall?

Where do burgers fit?
I'd be tempted to say SP,IN or even TN, but they do seem to fit the criteria for hardline traditionalist - there's nothing in a burger that wouldn't go in a sandwich individually (though beef might not usually be hot, tomato dressing wouldn't usually be as ketchup-y etc.)

Who here /SNIP/?

>no open-faced sandwich
shit chart

>He's RSA
If I had any smug anime girls...

Then stuffed tomatos are a sandwich? Tomatos, tuna, and mayonnaise are very on the purist side of ingredients.

>Then stuffed tomatos are a sandwich?
No.
I'd say that the food must be enveloped in bread of any kind in any way for it to be a sandwich, be it taco, lavash or just a regular pan bread.
Chicken wrap and burrito are definitely sandwiches, though.

Found the Structural Purist.

Then what about pic related? Empanadas? Milanesas? Panko sushi?

That's a dumpling.

But is it a sandwich?

Your pic was baked with the contents, it's more of a pie than a sandwich. Same about the rest. The point is you envelop already prepared ingredients with already prepared bread.

Why is a wrap a sandwich when a waffle sandwich isn't?
Waffles are as "bread-y" as wraps

RSA?

No its a Dumpling.
Samich is something different shit you can eat separate in between two pieces of bread.

>Why is a wrap a sandwich when a waffle sandwich isn't?
If it was a waffle with chicken or something, I would call it a sandwich. But as it is, it's just some sort of fucked up confectionery. I mean, it's technically a sandwich, but its "intent" is anything but.

I'm a mix of SNIP and SPIN, though not true neutral.

Yeah, but then you remember that jam sandwiches and chocolate spread sandwiches are a thing

I wouldn't really call those "sandwiches".
Are they open-faced or closed-faced?
Because in my language, there is such a wonderful word as "butterbrot", which before indicated bread with butter and toppings, but nowadays just indicated anything that includes bread and toppings, whether open-faced or closed-fased (so yeah, a sandwich is a subclass of a butterbrot).

Wraps are not sandwiches, you madman.

Very much closed-faced.
They're mainly a kiddy thing, but I have occasionally seen jam and other non-savoury sandwiches elsewhere

tfw blt paladin

I'm a GM, not a player but I'll toss a few NPC the PCs are friends with at it.

Sierra: Structural Purist, Ingredient Rebel. (Blake defined the structure that makes a sandwich, it is not our place to redefine the holy word but nor are we to be bound by those who would limit things within that holy structure.)
Hana Val-Kalla: Structural Rebel, Ingrediant Purist. (Delicious Kebab Wraps)
Q-33 South: Structural Neutral, Ingredient Rebel (Enjoys making weird and wacky food, especially sweets.)
Dr Eirin Sunstar: Hardline Traditionalist (Everything with it's proper term. Not being a sandwich doesn't make it not fine food)
Maraluelohr-Truubuhm-Balxiabahl: Radical Sandwich Anarchy (Sanity is for weak and feeble sandwiches.)

SPIR here. A sandwich is about the shape, not the contents. Anything sandwiched between two slices of a bread-like substance could qualify as a sandwich.

SPIN is the one true way. A sandwhich is defined as toppings or other food placed between two slices of bread.

Where does the Double Down fall under?

>Double Down
Abomination

I think it is technically a SPIR.

I'd say that it qualifies as a sandwich. It's just that in this case, the container IS the food.
You know, like it is the case with bread in a classical sandwich.

>A rumour in a contemporaneous travel book called Tour to London by Pierre-Jean Grosley formed the popular myth that bread and meat sustained Lord Sandwich at the gambling table. Lord Sandwich was a very conversant gambler, the story goes, and he did not take the time to have a meal during his long hours playing at the card table. Consequently, he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread, a habit well known among his gambling friends. Other people, according to this account, began to order "the same as Sandwich!", and thus the "sandwich" was born.

I think I'll have the same as Sandwich thank you.

Everything else is heresy. Hardline's aren't wrong but too rigid

Everything in structure purist along with Structure Nuetral, Ingredient Purist are sandwiches

Literally all of those are sandwiches.

>baguette sandwich is not purist
fucking muricans

A holy artefact bestowed by saints and angels

I want to say true neutral, but a hot dog is not a sandwich. A sub is, and a chip butty is, but a hot dog absolutely isn't.

Also, ice cream between waffles is an ice cream sandwich, which is to a sandwich the way big cats are to housecats - they're related, but entirely distinct.

Of course a hotdog is a sandwich.

no
is only one continuous peice of bread.

its an excessively thick wrap.

And wraps are sandwiches.

no they're not. Only one peice of bread again.

So what? A sandwich just requires bread on 2 sides. Bread on ALL the sides meets and beats those expectations. All wraps are sandwiches, but not all sandwiches are wraps.

Wraps aren't sandwiches, and sandwiches aren't wraps. They're two different foods.

I bet you think a calzone is a pizza.

No, a calzone is a sandwich.

That sure is some hot, closely-reasoned argument you're making there. Fuckface.

Literally sandwiches.

A chip butty can be pretty good, provided you use something other than plain, untoasted bread.

It's the calzone ingredients cooked inside?

What about a calzone between two pieces of bread?

Yes? A Panini is also a sandwich.

The one in the picture is nasty.

>an icecream sandwich isn't a sandwich
You can fuck off back to no fun land!

well yeah, but stock food images tend to look fucking horrid

The hotdog looks nasty too.

What is needed is a return to original functionality. Sandwiches were invented to allow one-handed eating. If it involves bread and one or more fillings or condiments, and can be eaten one-handed (or cut in half to allow one handed eating) it's a goddamn sandwich.

It's french, how could it be pure?

That is to say, everything except for Chaotic Evil is a sandwich, and placing a second poptart on top of the first (especially if both frosting sides touch) would resolve even that issue.

I can get behind that

would an eclair be a sandwich, then?

A pop tart is very much a sandwich.

Yes.

Wait, is that a filled poptart or a classic one?

>Make SPIP paladin
>DM keeps trying to make me fall and become a SRIP

Why do DMs do this?

In order to be a sandwich, you need a filling, which is sandwiched between two pieces of bread. This precludes wraps (where the filling is, well, wrapped), tacos and hot dogs (where the filling is contained but not sandwiched due to their vertical alignment), and calzones (which are a pie - that is, baked within a crust that surrounds it). Further, in order to be a true sandwich, the filling must be primarily savory, and composed of multiple distinct ingredients. This precludes ice cream sandwiches and sandwich cookies, as well as butter sandwiches, ketchup sandwiches, and similar abominations, which may be called sandwiches but only with a disclaimer indicating they are not true sandwiches as part of their name.

what the fuck
stop this madness

The "bread" isn't bread, it's pastry.

What if you have an insufficient amount of filling such that the top and bottom pieces of bread touch, creating de-facto bread suroundment on all six sides?

"Sandwich" is a mechanical term. If some substance is surrounded by another substance with the intended effect being cleaner eating and not getting food on things, it is a sandwich.

Then it's a bad sandwich. You still attempted to make a sandwich, you just should be ashamed of the results.

But this thing, functionally a wrap, is still a sandwich because of the sandwich artist's intent?

This way lies madness, friend.

Sandwich isn't a mechanical term, it's a term of understanding and communication. If I ask for a sandwich and someone gives me a taco or a hot dog, let alone a goddamn calzone or a fucking pop tart, then they are not providing me with what I have asked for. They're intentionally subverting my expectations because they think that makes them clever.

what do you think of a sandwich made by folding one slice of bread in half but not breaking it, so the filling is still sandwiched but you have one closed side you can use to prevent the filling from escaping.

If you asked for "a sandwich" you deserve whatever you get because you refused to be specific in your request. When ordering a sandwich you specify every part of it.

No, because the intention of a wrap isn't to sandwich the ingredients. It's to wrap the ingredients. Sandwiching means to press between two objects. Wrap means to surround with one flexible object.

>If it involves bread and one or more fillings or condiments, and can be eaten one-handed (or cut in half to allow one handed eating) it's a goddamn sandwich.
So by your reasoning, a pizza is a sandwich? It involves bread and condiments, and can be cut to allow one-handed eating. What about a calzone? A donut? A pie? Where do you draw the line? Is there any food involving bread that isn't a sandwich? Stop this madness!

A slice of pizza is a sandwich if you fold it in half. A Calzone is a sandwich. Donuts and pies are also sandwiches.

Not always. E.g., catering. If the office says that they will provide sandwiches for the meeting, and then gets one of those platters of mini-sandwiches from a deli, they met the group understanding. If they get a mix of calzones, pop tarts, hot dogs, and tacos, they have not.

Fine then, a defacto pasty?

Structure Neutral, Ingredient Purist. Anything else is heresy.

Yes they have because all of those things are sandwiches.

In other words, you want to intentionally make the word "sandwich" meaningless. You're a twisted fuck, you know that?

In the world of food, you are either a sandwich or a sandwich ingredient.

Pasties are a pie.

No. None of those things are sandwiches. Thwarting peoples' attempts to communicate is not clever, it just makes you an asshole.

pastry could arguably be considered a variant kind of bread

I was just about to ask this to - how does the folded sandwich fit into his (overly restrictive) model?

>donut
I mean, isn't the only difference between an american-style doughnut and a bagel how savoury is it?
A bagel is clearly established as kind of sandwich, and sweet sandwiches (Jam, Nutella) exist, so if you cut a doughnut in half surely you've just got a variant on the sandwich again?

Though I do agree that pizza isn't a sandwich, unless you make a sandwich using pizza

But that isn't an answer. It's an attempted sandwich but *also* an accidental pie?

Why are there so many images of girls eating things while crying?

American donuts are basically deep fried cakes. Bagels are not.

Pasties (and similar foods like slices, and sausage rolls) are not sandwiches, but they serve the same function (one-handed eating) and they get sold by the same people, for the same meal, so they're alike in concept enough that you could press the point

They are all sandwiches. Your boss might be a jerk but he is technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Folded sandwiches are more properly classified as a taco. Or a taco-like food.

So is banana bread a bread or a cake.

>Further, in order to be a true sandwich, the filling must be primarily savory
Disagree, the jam or nutella sandwich is a staple of school lunchs.

If you cut a donut in half and put condiments on it, like a bagel, I agree it could count as a sandwich. What I meant was a whole, uncut, filled donut, which according to 's definition would count as a sandwich, but is clearly not a sandwich.

Tacos are definitely sandwiches.

A filled donut is very clearly a sandwich.

>The Great Veeky Forums Sandwich Debate of 2017
Why am I not surprised?

hey wassup I'm a cook who dumped 50k into sandwich school.
In my opinion, structural purity is the only thing necessary to be considered a sandwich. A taco is a taco and a grinder is a grinder. But am ice cream sandwich has it right there in the name.
The exceptions are sandwiches that aren't sandwiches, burgers are burgers and macaroons are macaroons. But a cheeseburger on a hoagie is a grinder.
In my opinion this is because sandwich has become a verb. Sandwiching something has a specific meaning, even though a wrap has similar ingredients the action is wrapping, not sandwiching.

English is beautiful.

All of those things are subgenres of sandwich.