/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than we can possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
>Now in Homebrew megafolder

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)

Previous thread: What is the most ridiculous thing you or one of your players has done in a game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=st21dIMaGMs
blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/august/blood-and-lies-cd.html
blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/july/hw-resurrection-ltd.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what would a heavily armed river boat be armed with for ork hunting?

i want it to be like the famous PBR, which had a twin linked .50cal, two 7.62mm machine guns, and the ability to use 40mm grenade guns

thats a lot of dakka for one boat, but boats can hold more guns so it should be alright

Rammed a heavily modified cruiser into an orbital tau defense facility, crashing it into their embassy/capital on the planet below. Power ram, armored prow, reinforced prow... 4d10+1d5 dam at once is p good

I'm about to start a DH2 game, and I'm making my first ever psyker. The plan is to go heavily into biomancy and telepathy, with a later smattering of Sanctic Daemonology. Are there any other powers I should consider picking up because of their versatility/utility, or 'trap' powers I should avoid? The GM has hinted our inquisitor is going to be radical... how can I prepare for this? I'm expecting daemonhosts.

Given that you're fighting Orks, I believe a river monitor like this one with its flamethrower. Slap an inferno cannon on it is my suggestion.

What's the worst time you've had with a 40k rpg? For me it was when the GM invited one of his friends for a one shot DH game. We went to a random feudal world on suspicion of heresy. After we killed some feral orks and found an artefact of some saint or another, we returned to the governor's palace, where new guy killed the governor for no reason. Not wanting to completely ruin the story, the GM decided that the governor had been a pink horror all along! This eventually resulted in an exterminatus and a feeling that this adventure could have been a lot better.

Would there be any issues attaching a hand cannon to a ballistic mechadendrite?

How do I stat out and play a Felinid Abhuman (of Veeky Forums anime cat-girl interpretation)? The game will be play by post.

How do I best role play the religious element of a Tech-Priest character?

This guy again, hoping for any more information of about the Tau and/or how they'd compete with a feral world my DH group is trying to convert, or at least contain.

The feral world natives will probably be lowtech but well-mounted in snowy, forested terrain (any advice on Vehicle rules, by the way?). I read somewhere the Tau have a relatively recent history of tribal warfare and diplomacy, seems like they'd have quite the advantage over the boots and treads and lasfire of the Imperium.

Incorporating rites and hymns in your tech stuff. Kneel while recharging laspacks. Press a row of buttons like prayer beads when you clear a jam. Chant a short binary prayer as you repair vehicles.

Or be really pushy about the Omnissiah. You do probably have low Fellowship, so it'll be grating and weird.

Install gentoo.

But really, the religious side can come apparent in the same way a food connoisseur might express his delight at a deceivingly smooth peanut sauce
youtube.com/watch?v=st21dIMaGMs
>oh baby listen to that 2.4 Ghz processor whine~

which system?

Killed Sanguinus.

It was actually an Ogryn with chicken wings glued to its shoulders, but a lot of heavy drugs were involved on both ends. And a mind-plague.

Murdering Severus Agemman and bringing a end to the Ultramarines by having a greater lord of change possessing Rowboat Girlyman.

It was a long black crusade game.

>What is the most ridiculous thing you or one of your players has done in a game?

Let the guy who tried to kill them moments earlier go because of some bullshit excuse

Has anyone made playable tzaangors in Black Crusade

I don't think so. Not many like to touch the new material. It should be really easy though. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to make one if one really tries.

Doesn't the handful of "mutant" classes work pretty good as a base already for Tzaangors?

You mean the Rewards of Tzeentch for reaching corruption goals? Those appear to be more based around psychic powers and fire-based attacks, not swole birdman relic hunters. I don't think these books even conceptualized tzaangors. At the time Black Crusade was released, those things were straight out of 1e/2e, and probably weren't considered modern or valid.

Nah, I meant the Mutant archetype from DH2 and the like.

We needed money to pay for a ferry ride, so we entered a crab into a boxing tournament. Due to an absurd amount of combat drugs and makeshit biotics, it won

How did your character get off of Carlos? which system?

>What is the most ridiculous thing you or one of your players has done in a game?
My groups Rogue Trader played a game of Ro-Sham-Bo with a Radical Ordo Xenos Inquisitor to see who'd get first dibs on some xeno tech in some ruins they were doing a joint investigation on.

Who won?

Sounds like you're offering.

The Inquisitor, fair and square too, seeing as we physically played Ro-Sham-Bo to decide it rather than rolling dice.

Rogue Trader later claimed, in private, that he let her win because he didn't want an angry Inquisitor riding his ass, seeing as she was the one that was responsible for financing their first ship and they're still paying it off.

Okay. Give me an hour.

How soon should someone in a Dark Heresy game pick up Forbidden Lore (Heresy)?

It took me longer than an hour. It took me two. I guess I get to eat shit.

See how this functions. The Tzaangor is built as a Tzeentch aligned frontlining combat guy, with bonuses against enemies with relics or rare gear. It is mortal, but it's a little bit tougher than your average human. It doesn't have as much talent and skill choices as Archetypes such as the Frost Father, Pirate Prince, or Death Priest, but you DO have a slight choice in Gifts of the Gods, abilities that boost you up when charging and fighting relic bearers, and a unique advancement as you prove yourself to Tzeentch. Unfortunately, as a combat Tzeentch guy, he's gonna be hard to build, since you need to balance your Tzeentch advances with combat advances that are probably in Khorne and Nurgle camps. I fucking hate Black Crusade and its bullshit alignment system.

>which system?

Dark Heresy, 1st Edition.

>How did your character get off of Carlos?

She was smuggled off by a Radical Inquisitor who took interest in her. The game will mainly take place on Feral Worlds so her nature won't be as big of an issue, she'll have to hide it elsewhere. He career will be Scum.

*Her career

anyone running a game of rogue trader/dark heresy/ black crusade over Discord and or roll20? ive been itching to play in a second session.

>frontline combat
>tzeentch

Do those even belong in the same sentence? Also, nice palindrome get.

tzaangors are the closest thing Tzeentch has to a "rip and tear" force.

Hosting a 40k risk game here:
Please come and help me alpha test, I need people who can rp 40k.

How is Malcador generally viewed within the imperium and the administratum some 10k years after his death?

Bump

So I was aware that only war had convoluted rules but holy shit. We did our chargen session last night and trying to talk 6 people through that piece of shit book had me ready to scrap the whole campaign. Don't even get me started on the learning/teaching combat.

My question is, I have about 30 pages of reference material right now and was wondering if anyone had a concise, consolidated cheat sheet they use for general play and/or combat in Only War.

Gal Vorbak stats and rules when?

Ok
What are the do's and donot's of playing Operator as tank driver in Only War.
Point buy, 1000xp.

Do make sure you can actually drive your vehicle and assist the tech priest in making repairs to it.

Sure, got it
Any recommended talent ?

If you plan to use your comrade as a gunner, look at some of the weapon mastery talents.

Anyone?

My players detonated a grand cruiser in a busy port and allowed a greater daemon to be summoned using the bloodshed and violence if the explosion as sacrifice.

They were the good guys.

This just cropped up. Are we getting a series of DH styled novels?

>Lady Yuuuuge, Techpriest Large McSlab, Scowls-While-Reloading, and their squad of tiny, sassy, soldiers

Isn't tzeentch psyker focused? This doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel close to the fluff.

Do the Deathwatch books seem like things an actual Deathwatch party might get up to? Are there any books that might fit a Black Crusade game?

The fluff changed a few months back. Tzaangors are expendable melee troops to protect the sorcerors.

Biomancy actually isn't as useful as it was, user, unless you are going CC.
Telepathy, Divination, Telekinesis off a lot of options in both support and offense, and Santic, while very good, also carries a lot of buff powers that require half actions to maintain, which really cut into your shit.

You don't.
Your GM, basically. Tests would be stiffer, the caveat of needing 2 hands to hold is a definite mark against the idea, and honestly, the low ammo would work against you, rather than for you.
The worst time I had with the rpgs was running it for a group years back. I was new, but I knew 40k. A lot of mistakes were made, on both parts, and in hindsight, I should have cracked down on the chucklefuck players harder.
But they wouldn't have been down for grim adventures in 40k, they wanted space wackiness.

Tau are smooth talkers, make no mistake.
They have an entire subrace dedicated to negotiations, after all.
If you need an example, look at how conquistadors made friends: They brought advanced weapons, tools, HIGH PROOF ALCOHOL (I can't stress how effective this was on any place that didn't already have dedicated spirit production), religion for those who were seeking something different (China had many Christian converts simply because the version they were pitched was simply Be a Decent Person and Eternal Life through Faith, and did not have the many, many gribblies that Confucianism had, or the horror of existentialism inherent to Buddhism).
The Greater Good, on paper, actually does sound like a decent deal, especially if the people are either already tribalized or savvy enough to think they can try to get a good position of their own.
However, I think that having the pc party do the work of, alone, what is usually the goal of a small army of Administratum, Ecclesiarchy and Terra officials seems... odd?
I mean, the Tau aren't stupid, and what do they have to offer these feral worlders that the Tau can't, in greater numbers, and actually show to them?
What is keeping the Tau from finding out that there are interlopers in what is techinically not Imperium space and sending a few HK cadres to scrub the pc party out? 2 devilfish with a load of FWs would be more than enough to turn them into paste.

As soon as they earn it with deed or steal some heretical documents.

He is a saint, one of the highest, iirc.
>So I was aware that only war had convoluted rules
Compared to some other crunchy games, percentile is fairly easy to pick up.
Roll 1d100, goal is to roll under a target number based on attribute/+skill, bonuses and maluses.
Chargen isn't hard unless you are trying to create a custom regiment, as opposed to using one from the book (you should).
What exactly are you having issues with?

Forbidden Lore (Heresy) is super easy. You just point at someone, call them a Heretic and chances are you're 100% right most of the time because somewhere there is an interpretation of the Creed that they are breaking the laws of. Really, I don't see why everyone doesn't automatically have it. ;)

>they wanted space wackiness.

I hate how Emperor's TTS has encouraged this, by virtue of being one of the first online interactions players have at this point.
Same way the abridged series ruined the DBz community.

But that doesn't feel like tzeentch at all. Nucanon was a mistake.

Well, beastmen are always beastmen.
Also, tzaangors were present in FB too.

Hey anons, I'm playing a Missionary and my party found a CSM corpse, my Forbidden Knowledge lets me know about it, but no one else really knows, as well as our armsmen we brought along. How do I freak out without telling them/the ignorant about CSM?

I think by the laws from the Arbites book you can kill everyone legaly if they look at you the wrong way.
"Insulting the Holy Ordos of the God Emperor: Field Interrogation, Field Execution"

I concur with user, at least one heavy flamer weapon, heavy autoguns to cut through massed infantry, and some sort of anti armor weapon like rocket launchers or a grenade launcher or something

user, this was YEARS ago, back when DH1e first came out.
>bitches about nucanon
>probably didn't even know tzaangors even existed longer than some factions in the game

Why not just tell them there are traitorous servants about, and be on guard?
If you are concerned about morale, tell the rank and file enough to be prepared, and tell your fellows the truth.

"This was a rebel space marine. As with all traitors, he has died ignobly."

>tzaangors even existed longer than some factions in the game

They existed as weak slaves and simple thralls with some psychic potential, you know, the way mortal followers of Tzeentch have ALWAYS been portrayed. This recton blows that up for MUH MELEE XD, totally stepping on the toes of Bloodgors.

Go read FB fluff on Tzeentch mortals, then return.

Maybe if-
What this guy said. Tzaangors were always the expressed combatant types, summoned as thralls and warrior servants by sorcerers.

Is anyone here going to make a Long War campaign that start in 2 weeks? It will give time to read the rulebooks?

2 weeks is more than enough to read all the mechanical bits of Black Crusade and XCOM.

What's Long War?

It's not the rolling. It's the million modifiers, rules for everything and absolutely horrendous layout of the rulebook. It takes so long to find the info I need that it slows down our game. I was just hoping someone had an alphabetized trait and talent sheet, general rule rundown, and consolidated combat rule list.

I made my own but it's 30 pages long and still takes forever to sort through.

>30 pages
Ok, what the hell are you even doing?

>the million modifiers
user, the vast majority of modifiers outside combat are GM's best judgment. Decide what you think the modifier is, and roll with it.
>rules for everything
Far less than some games you can find, user, and since the game is modeled on many real life sensibilities, it's not so hard to hodge the situation. The only time I've had to hunt up rules was stuff that rarely happens, like suffocation/drowning/vacuum and the like.
I think you are trying too hard to get all of the rules together at once. You don't need to know what half the traits are, because unless you have one of each example from the book, you will not have more than a handful of examples on a battlefield at a time, and certainly not within the course of a single session.
Talents are very much the same way; I freely admit to ignoring most talents when it comes to npcs unless it's something vital to how they interact.
The combat rules almost all boil down to:
X = +10
X = +0
X = -10
And yes, your players should be running their own modifiers to you, with you making the final check over, versus counting their mods for them.
On that note, you should NOT be reminding players of their shit. It is vital, for your own headache, that the players have a basic grip on their own pcs and how rolls work. Yes, it will take a few weeks, but it seems like you did not look over the book enough to get the basics in your head before starting the game, and that fault lay on you.
You don't need 30 pages of notes, because you will not use 15 pages of those outside outlier moments.

Either:

A: the best mod for Xcom

B: the fight between the original Fallen Legions and the Imperium

>C: Both

So any interesting stories about raising armies in BC and leading them into GLORY!?

Where did this come from? Google search gives me nothing.

Here.

blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/august/blood-and-lies-cd.html

Apparently it's a tie in story for an Inquisitor Covenant series. You know, one of the Inquisitors from the Inquisitor giant miniature game ages back, who is somehow still having stuff written about him?

I think those are the guidelines distributed by the highest ranked arbitrator in the Calixis. The dude who dreams about the oppressed masses being crushed by a cathedral of the Emperor and rages at how they won't just STAY STILL and keep rocking the foundations like selfish little shits.

I mean you can probably get away with whatever shit you want anyway as Inquisition agents, but if there's an Arbitrator in charge who loves sticking to the written word of the law (all of them), then you may get shit for not following procedure.

Also realize those rules do not apply to any member of the Adepta or nobility, ie people who matter.
The people it applies to literally have no right to a trial.

I dunno. It's always fun when an arbitrator forgets/remembers (delete as applicable) how the law is meant to apply to those in power and goes through with it anyway.

So the other day an user came on here and posted some really cool space maps he made along with the Dropbox link for some of the images he used

If that user is still around could you give a tutorial on how you did it? My Gimp-fu is weak

Are there non-Homebrew rules for playing an Eldar in Rogue Trader, my GM seems to think there are but I can only find the Dark Eldar rules in the Soul Reaver and he can't remember which book had the rules for standard Eldar.

Dark eldar only.

I thought it'd be weird for an Eldar from a craftworld to join a human Rogue Trader.

>Arguments and shitflinging in the thread over canon and fluff

Let me guess, shas made a new homebrew thing?

He only made 40krpg stats for Tzaangors, so yeah p. much

Like clockwork, then.

That is a tough cookie

One time in BC I rode my half-machine-half-mutant dragon monster through the stained glass windows of a Cathedral in the middle of a mass, kidnapped the Cardinal and accidentally caused Mass Possession with an unlucky (or very lucky, depending on how you look at it) psychic dodge when everyone present opened fire.

Another time in Black Crusade when I dueled a gigantic mechanical dragon with just a chainaxe and somehow dodged every strike long enough to rend it apart... Same character, despite being just a Chem-hunter, would later slaughter survive an entire barrahe from a Thunderhawk and slaughter every Space Marine within with the same chainaxe.

In DH2e, my character committed glorious suicide into the enemy arch-heretek's face mid-ascension with two meltabombs. He was canonized for that later.

In Only War, more than a single act, my hilariously zealous Melta gunner survived five consecutive sessions with zero Fate points despite melting Chimeras and other vehicles with reckless abandon.

Back in Dark Heresy first edition, my very much shooting-inclined Cleric, when the party was attacked in his comfy mid-hive apartment by Hounds of Khorne, proceeded to hold his ground against them in melee and suplex them multiple times into various pieces of (by then, burning) furniture.

And the first time I played Deathwatch, I made an insufferable goody-two-shoes Ultramarine, then proceeded to kill a Hive Tyrant with a single Boltgun shot to its face.

Pleasant, pleasant memories

Thanks, there can never be enough audio dramas. I love them. The hardback edition of the horusian wars book looks like top notch as well. It looks like something you can hang from your belt when doing an inquisitor cosplay and it would fit right in.

blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/july/hw-resurrection-ltd.html

Any idea where I can get audiodramas from? There are none on mega

Either the PC or the NPC probably got an unfair advantage. Should have used an opposed logic test.

In one of the previous threads someone was talking about making John Wick in DH2E, and while this isn't exactly that my friends and I have come up with the hypothetical character of "GUN WIZARD".

The main drawback is having to buy all the way down to the bottom of the Biomancy table, buying up to Psy Rating 5, and praying that you get a good enough Ballistic Skill. So assuming you would need 2 Ballistic Skill advancements, and you're starting at Psy Rating 1 you'll need to spend 2800xp for the Psy Rating 5, 750xp for 2 BS advancements with 1 matching aptitude, 450xp for Mighty Shot with 1 matching aptitude, and 1300xp to buy all the way down to Warp Speed in the Biomancy table (not including any Toughness or Willpower advancements one might need to get down the table).

So essentially you'd need 5300xp to make a character like this, and that's with moderately good rolls for Characteristics.

Also I didn't say it here, but I think they'd be best off being from a Frontier world to give them the Ballistic aptitude

You did, though.

oh, duh

Happens to me all the time.

You know how advanced archetypes were a thing in Black Crusade's expansion books? I was thinking of making some for DH2E and have them fluffed for my OC sector. Essentially they'd be almost entirely made up character archetypes, with only the most basic of character gen needing to be done. They'd be a bit better than regular starting characters, and count as having a few thousand spent xp already, just like the advanced archetypes in the BC Tomes.