Dice General

SPECIAL FIRST EDITION: "Whoops, my finger slipped."

Virtual Dice: pastebin.com/Cf3wBGtw
(any size larger than 30 can be reverse engineered using the techniques present.)
Resources:
anydice.com/ - Assess probability and other functions
rolz.org/ - Dice roller and roleplaying chatroom
topps.diku.dk/torbenm/troll.msp - Roll and assess probability, full-featured dice macros
http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/ - Create random text generators
chridd.nfshost.com/makewords/ - Conlang lexicon generator

Discussion thread for miniscule regular polyhedron chaos generators, probability, combinatorics, brands, numbers, and other such autism.

For your consideration.

What is your favorite dice-based resolution mechanic?
What's your favorite non-dice-based resolution mechanic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AS7BY4MNRb0
i.warosu.org/data/jp/img/0161/82/1480459622103.jpg)
boardgamegeek.com/image/3221286/domagb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've been looking to make my own dice (out of wood) for a little while and so far I only found about how to do a d20 and searching about how to do a d10.
Anyone has info on this kind of thing ?

No but I would be interested if you find some

What's a "resolution mechanic"?

A resolution mechanic is any way in which a game determines the outcome of something that isn't certain. So, if your character is jumping a gorge and you thus need to roll a 10 or better on a d20, that would be a resolution mechanic.

Some specific examples are dice pools, 1dX straight value, bell-curve dice pools such as 3d6, or 1d8+1d12, etc. Basically any mechanic that resolves a conflict.

Does that help?

youtube.com/watch?v=AS7BY4MNRb0

Here's one for some polyhedrons. This guy is psychotic though.

How do you use a d12 in your game aside for "really good weapons". I want to use my d12s but most games dont use it too often.

d12 can come up in random tables, or be used in any of the possible dice resolution mechanics. Damage, of course, is common. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a 2d12 bell curve dice mechanic in certain systems. I believe that it's a nice curve with good levels of probability that provides 23 discrete results from values 2 - 24.

The slight change does mean that results will be much more swingy than 3d6, however there's a 23.61 chance to hit one of 12, 13, or 14, and a 49.99% chance to hit between the 10-16 band.

It's also 50% more likely to hit on either of the extremes using 2d12 than 3d6, which can be nice.

(Forgot to include pic)

Plus with bell curve dice, you can introduce multiple levels of advantage/disadvantage. The results look very interesting!

Pictured are the following:
Black: 4d12, lowest 2
Orange: 3d12, lowest 2
Blue: 2d12
Green: 3d12, highest 2
Yellow: 4d12, highest 2

I see.

As for "autism" like in the OP, I'm the kind of guy who loves special dice. I bought some fairly expensive Touhou dice back when I went to Japan (i.warosu.org/data/jp/img/0161/82/1480459622103.jpg) and loved them so much I actually bought more and then had my gf's family ship them to me.

Everytime I encounter an irregular dice, I just can't help but purchase, even though it might not be useful in the future. I recently saw those boardgamegeek.com/image/3221286/domagb and was wondering where I could get them fairly cheap cause they're pretty fucking expensive to order.

user that dude scares me

Those dice are pretty artistic. I like the bullet-dice as well.

Barrel dice are always very interesting; however, to me they tend to roll too much. The d20 definitely looks like it rolls way too much.

Pic related is selling for 12.99, not sure what the bullet dice are going for.

Nah, this is kinda stupid I gotta admit. I like the bullet dice because of the design, but barrel dice is useless and wanky as fuck.

I have vague memories of a set of long dice that were actually quite unique and very useable. They had various numbers (sometimes larger than the number of sides: they were for some sort of board game) all along a cylinder. The cylinder fit onto a pair of wheels which would actually stop the dice on the number preventing them from rolling overmuch. I wish I could find a picture.

A bit like those dice.

How the fuck did I never hear of this game. It looks awesome.

Somewhat. They had a different shape, of course.

>first thought before reading the filename was enochian chess
lmao

So I found some interesting dice, and now I'm going to dump.

This is the spindle.

Another spindle, similar to the ones I was remembering.

These are the closest to what I'm remembering, but these aren't the ones. Once again, they are spindles of a sort.

These are just stellar. We have a Mace (d8), a sword (d6), a dagger (d4), two gauntlets (d10), a helmet (d12), and a shield (d20).

I have no idea how the shield could work unless you just absolutely chucked the bastard, to be honest.

From the Kickstarter campaign, the idea with the d20 is to flip it like a coin. Although they abandoned the weirder idea for their next set, the Wizard dice.

I'm not sure how balanced those would be.