Tales from the Loop

I don't know if anyone will have heard of this previously, but an RPG has been released based upon the artist Simon Stålenhag's fictional Tales from the Loop universe, featured heavily in his work.

>Simon Stålenhag’s Tales from the Loop is a wildly successful crowd-funded project that takes viewers on a surprising sci-fi journey through various country and city landscapes―from small towns in Sweden and the deserts of Nevada to the bitter chill of Siberia―where children explore and engage with abandoned robots, vehicles, and machinery large and small, while dinosaurs and other creatures wander our roads and fields.

>Stålenhag’s paintings and stories take place in an alternate version of Sweden in the ’80s and ’90s, primarily in the countryside of Mälaröarna, a string of islands just west of Stockholm, and how this reality came about: the development of the Loop, a large particle accelerator and the side effects of the massive project.

I think it's a promising setting, though I don't know much about the ruleset. I'm certainly very tempted to pick up a copy of the book. What does Veeky Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

frialigan.se/en/product/tales-loop-rpg/
simonstalenhag.se/
mega.nz/#!xk8RDRQD!O1T74OrPNkcyBSr5_xcwK_lrB9l4_0qI931GFnpFbbk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>RPG Link
frialigan.se/en/product/tales-loop-rpg/

>Simon Stålenhag's website
simonstalenhag.se/

I heard there's no dice

how

le stranger things bandwagon

The fact its evidently meant to ride on Stranger Thing's coat tails doesn't give me much hope for it. The art will be good but I'm certain other elements will suffer as a 'fad' game.

Hopefully i'll be proven wrong.

One of the bundles comes with custom dice, so if that's true that's confusing as shit

Stalenhag's work has been around since well before Stranger Things. I agree that the vibes given off are very ST-esque, but it's probably hard to avoid that in an 80's - 90's theme at the moment.

>I'm certain other elements will suffer as a 'fad' game. Hopefully i'll be proven wrong.

Seconded.

It uses dice. Same basic system as Mutant Year Zero and Coriolis. Whoever told you there is no dice is full of shit.

I suppose you also think the game wasn't designed by numale cucks

Diceless games are absolutely a thing.

>Whoever told you there is no dice is full of shit.
>I suppose you also think the game wasn't designed by numale cucks

so... since the game does indeed use dice, is this your really roundabout way of saying that the game /isn't/ made by numale cucks?

Kickstarted it and got the book, dice, and the GM screen.

Haven't run a game yet, but I have few people interested.

Any fun stories yet?

Also, Simon's work is pure sex.

Keep posting please, these are cool.

Yes, but it's an unfortunate side-effect of being on Veeky Forums that every thread about TftL collects a few cuckposters.

Are there any scans of this besides the rough draft? I would love to read it. This art is fantastic.

>Kickstarted it and got the book
I think you know what we ask of you, user :^)

And they're pretty universally garbage

There is another painting of two mummified remains both wearing this on their heads.

Malifaux.

I pledged as well, nice book, it has 2 "settings" one is in Sweden, the other is in Colorado. Both towns are near LHCs that were built in the 80's, which allow weirdness in. Robots and magnetic levitation vehicles are common in the world. Dinosaurs are somewhat common in the towns, along with weird stuff.
PCs are generally 13 or younger, who go out to solve some of the mysteries in the area because someone has to, and grown ups are too busy working or some other shit.
System is a stat+skill = dice pool system of d6s 5 or 6 is a success. Tests need 1 success, more and cool stuff happens.

having not seen Stranger Things, I don't know how it compares, but it gives off a serious Goonies / E.T. vibe, with kids leading these secret lives while the adults are clueless as to what is REALLY going on in the world around them.

How good is Coriolis? I only skimmed through the kickstarter page and loved the dune-lite vibe it gave

Sounds pretty solid to me. Is it quite Scooby-Doo with the mysteries and stuff?

I don't want to play in a party of children, that would make for an annoying game.

I found a pdf in 5 seconds user. No need for scans if that's what you're implying

Help a brother out, my google-fu is weak today. Night shifts make my brain broken :(

What google-fu, what for? Just check the fucking archive you dotard, it exist for a reason

The one who called you retard wasn't me, user. Here you go, don't say Veeky Forums can't into being nice.

mega.nz/#!xk8RDRQD!O1T74OrPNkcyBSr5_xcwK_lrB9l4_0qI931GFnpFbbk

Don't punch any nazis, but make fun of a few /pol/fags for me, will you?

game is probably shit, but his pictures are great even though they're clearly traced photos with robots added. Especially if you're swedish.

thanks amigo

>I don't want to play in a party of murderhobos, that would make for an annoying game.
That's nice, dear.

Is this the final version, or just the rough prerelease

sweet! just what i was looking for

looks final. if it's not, it's pretty slick looking for a rough prerelease

oh man those maps look gorgeous

Oy vey, thanks, kind user.

>40 posts
>20 posters

Sweet shill thread.

>is pictures are great even though they're clearly traced photos
Proofs?

>average of two posts per poster
Not sure if actually retarded or merely pretending

>Each attribute has three connected skills. These are areas where the Kid can be well trained. The level of a skill varies between 0 and 5, and corresponds to how many dice you can add to the dice roll when you try to overcome Trouble, in addition to the dice from your attribute. At the start of the game, you distribute 10 points among your skills. You may take up to level 3 in the three key skills of your Type. For other skills, a starting skill level of 1 is the maximum.

I'm confused by the above; does that mean that all skills are level 1, and you get ten to spend in your key skills, to a maximum of 3? Because that makes no sense. The last line seems to rule out spending in non-key skills.

Ive seen games that resolve things with cards and even dominoes. There's no need for something to resolve with dice necessarily, its just the fastest way of doing things.

Holy shit I'm an idiot. Some skills are meant to be left at 0. herp derp.

>tales from the loop
the numale shit from sweden?

See

These pictures make the story seem illogical. But I habe no clue what the story is

I think it's less a single story and more "Here is some strange shit, come up with your own" situation.

That kinda sounds like they're giving you the worldview of a child and trying to place you in a perception point of one...and it actually seems like a good idea.

It's like a mashup of Stranger Things, Jurassic Park, Scooby Doo, and the Nebuchadnezzar from the Matrix.

how the hell did you fit Jurassic Park and Matrix influences in there?! Based on what?

There's dinosaurs in the book and the Nebuchadnezzar is the freed human's ship in the Matrix, IIRC.

Calm down, user. No need to yell

The Nebuchadnezzar looks like the flying ships in the setting, in case you didn't google. See?

I'd definitely play the Hick archetype in this system. Building a flying machine in this kind of genre sounds like the coolest thing, especially if I can't make it work till the climax as per movie logic.

Steal an energy core off a robot or something. Fucking awesome

Same. Drafted a first character, he's a Hick, a son of a mechanic. Iconic item is a multi-tool he got from his dad on his 13th birthday. It definitely needs mind skills to work well, though.

>
>There's dinosaurs in the book and the Nebuchadnezzar is the freed human's ship in the Matrix, IIRC.
>
>Calm down, user. No need to yell

>
>The Nebuchadnezzar looks like the flying ships in the setting, in case you didn't google. See?

I just thought that the similarity in themes went a bit deeper, this is superficial.

>Building a flying machine in this kind of genre sounds like the coolest thing

Every time someone makes this thread I feel the urge to re-watch Explorers.

River Phoenix is the face of every kid I play

(If only that movie didn't have the weird ass second half, ffs)

yes and no, yes there are mysteries, and the core book has a campaign of 4 linked mysteries
and no, in that you are actually given all the clues (typically) in the game rather then doing what Scooby Doo used to do by having the clue you needed to solve the mysteries on your own be the newspaper article that is on the back of the scrap of paper the gang finds (and is unreadable).
Sorry, I hate Scooby Doo with roughly the same level of emotion Holocaust survivors have for Nazis.

These arts are awesome.

Just finished Stranger Things and I'm all for it. I got too many games though. Still trying to find the money for Blue Rose and Exalted 3e, and my group is scattered to the winds at the moment anyways. Anyhow, monitoring this thread

I've never heard of this, but "dune-like vibe" piques my interest. Do tell?

On a similar note, been considering trying out Baroque Space Opera. Anyone played it?

Is it just me or does this remind other people of Evangelion's juxtaposition of mundane late 20th century adolescence with the mysterious sci fi kind of elements? After reading this that definitely jumps out at me.

I actually had a similar feeling, but couldn't place what it reminded me of. This definitely reads like you're playing normal kids in Tokyo-3. An nge-inspired plot wouldn't be out of the question for me.

Having to find out which of your classmates is the pilot of the giant robot protecting you from the alien threat so you can protect them from a plot against humanity sounds good.