Realism/semi-realism art thread

Realism/semi-realism art thread

I'll dump some. These are my favorite threads.

I somehow expected more from a king that wearing his flag

I would expect him to finish a crusade desu

Almost done

>These are my favorite threads.

Realistic arms/attire >>>>>>>> LE EBIN WYKKED FANTASY XDD!!

>reddi/tg/ capable of having an art thread thats not 90% tumblr feminists in armor

i didnt think such a thing was possible any more

gr8 b8

I wish there was more of it in the drawthreads because it would give me more practice.

>ranger, warrior, mage

I hate bulky shit with spikes everywhere for no apparent reason. Same with swords

Anybody else following Battle of the Nations?

I think Ukraine's 21 vs. 21 team just beat Russia for the championship for the first time in 8 years. Which is amazing, since nobody beats Russia usually.

He wouldn't even be doing that. When surcoats become popular in the early 13th century, they were one-color garments (rarely banded or halved) in a few stock colors (usually red or blue) and if the wearer did have heraldry on his shield or his mount's caparison the surcoat would always contrast that. So Philip would most likely be rocking a red or maybe green surcoat. However by the 14th century heraldry was applied to surcoats so the OP image is good on that front.

Aside from and the artist going a bit overboard with the strap/belt studs the rest of the image the most autistic scrutiny (including some nice details that are often overlooked) if we assume it represents the last 15 years or so of his life.

I miss Rome but not the cunt I went there with

this unironically

Search for the Morion, between 1500 to 1600.

What made the helmets become like that? Was it firearms or what? Isn't it too early for mass produced firearms?

From what my fencing teacher told me about them, it was pikes. Apparently that's a good shape for your common pikeman in a block if someone slips (or dies) and drops a pike on your head.

Well the keyword in the OP was 'realistic'

The curved shape of the helmet helped mitigate "friendly fire" from falling pikes? That's pretty interesting, and also weird.

I heard the crest would deflect stones and other things being dropped on your head, useful if climbing up a siege ladder or being pelted by stones from the walls.

I would really appreciate similar types of art for non-european, or at least not ancient greece/rome/medieval/renaissaince costumes and equipment. Shit like this for Chinese, Indian, Middle-Eastern, South/Mezo American, Scythian, Cretian, Mezopotamian cultures would be amazing.

I'm working on world-building that is fairly anachronistic settings most heavily inspired by cultures and environments of Central Asia and Middle East, but with some Byzantine, Ancient Mezopotamian and South American influences, and coming across good reference materials is a bitch.

I have some Assyrian stuff from Osprey.

Not art but the Chinese looked great back in their golden age of warfare.

>all black and brown
>no colors anywhere

>realistic

Much appreciated. Seriously, thanks for taking the time off to post this stuff.

Yeah.
I tend to draw inspiration from existing fiction inspired by the subject matter (Central Asia seems to be a surprisingly popular subject matter in Manga, oddly enough), but the reality is that fiction is never stranger or more interesting than the real world, and classic or didactic art is generally much more inspiring than stuff produced for genre fiction.
So I'm always grateful for any either historical reconstructions, photos, or works of classic art that display more oriental and exotic cultures.

Does not even have to be war-oriented. Anything displaying humans, costumes, places to live in, every day situations: I love all that shit.

Mesopotamian is written with an s, senpai.

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but did Assyrians really ride horseback, with saddle or saddle-like equipment?
I might be entirely and utterly wrong here, but I thought that stuff was only popularized by Scythians and really gained a place in warfare around 400 B.C.-ish, and that before, war-chariots were used almost exclusively.

Oldest DEPICTIONS of cavalry are Assyrian from around 700-800 BC. It probably predated that by a little bit.

Artesia has some realistic gear!

>"I need a one-handed weapon that can do cutting and thrusting well."
"Alright my lord. Here's a nice sword made by our best blacksmith."
>"What? No! No, fuck that shit. Give me an axe with a spear coming out of it."

cont.

I've got the book open and according to Osprey:

"Cavalry first served in the Assyrian army under Tukulti-Ninurta III. Those illustrated date from the reign of Ashurnasirpal, and show the cavalry still employed the 'donkey seat' when riding the horse. Tactical employment of this period shows how, by riding in pairs, they were envisaged as 'charioteers without their chariot.'

Hope this helps.

Also there are fucking ghouls in full armour cutting through plate like it's tin.

Because fuck armour when you have enchanted swords.

And sometimes the gods of war show up.

>Anything displaying humans, costumes, places to live in, every day situations
You should take a look at the works of the orientalists of the 19th and 20th centuries

Weren't they really clumsy, though?

fuck off please

>You should take a look at the works of the orientalists of the 19th and 20th centuries
I already did take a few looks, but my research has not been in any way exhaustive. This as well as quite a lot of anthropological photography and first-half-of-20th century traveler journals and photocollections helped me a lot in modeling my ideas for at least some of the cultures and their appearances.

Once again, thanks for all the materials and suggestions, though.

Why

because youre shitposting. go post in a pathfinder thread or something if that's the only shit you have

Not him but stop please. Off topic, and you've posted 7 images of it insofar.

I wouldn't want to be cavalry at any point pre-stirrups honestly. Most of what I see shows them as archers rather than actually lancing, though, so it'd probably somewhat better than infantry work.

fuck off autist

OP said Semi-Realistic, well Artesia has Realistic as fuck armour and some magic, so that's semi-realistic at worst.

just report and ignore him

>so that's semi-realistic at worst.
Fucking ahem

Yeah there were also the ethnographics. I also have some bizantine stuff, will be posting in a moment

And yet it's a more realistic looking battlefield than Hollywood ever managed to come up with.

>Said the tumblrite ladyknight poster.

Eat shit, you know nothing of movies.

>There is a lady in armour so he must be a leftist-SJW-Cuckmeister-Tumblrite

I don't see you posting anything worthwhile when critiqueing me buddy.

I love this one. Lamellar is so sexy

just fucking report him and his posts will go away.

hes literally only in the thread to post niggers and women