This Guy thread

Well, for once in our lives let's do the opposite. Tell stories of players who actually helped you, or even saved you when DMing. I can't be the only one that was ever helped like that.

>Low Fantasy setting
>Players are basically reincarnation of known heroes from that world
>One player acts like a goddamn villain. Another didn't read about his past life. Other two players actually read about their past lives and actually put effort in their character
>Small things like places and people they remember from past life, some things i didn't even consider but they added anyway, actually even explaining better some plot points
>They even manage to make the other two players more interested

Another one:
>Vampire, but with futuristic setting
>Playing humans, investigating vampires
>One player made his character purposefully friends with our known That guy
>every time he tried to derail the game, This guy could intervene with the "c'mon, we're friends" argument to make him stop
>Actually a cool dynamic between an explosive character and another calm one to keep him in check.

Cute picture.
No This Guy stories yet, still looking.

Man, I feel sorry for your players. You're a shit DM so they have to go out of their way to make your game bearable.

First instance: pre-determined backstories. Nobody wants to play the reincarnated established character, ESPECIALLY a "PC version" of the DM's NPCs. Why the fuck would you run a game like this, effectively hampering the player's creative process? It'd be understandable if you did it like, say, Morrowind -- where you may or may not be the reincarnation -- but holy shit, you're complaining because one player didn't adhere to how you wanted his reincarnated character to act, and another for not taking the time to read your drivel. Actually, good on him for not reading it, because you essentially took away one of the few things players have control over in tabletop.

Next instance: perfect example of shitty DMing. Can't handle your That Guy, can't work a game around him based on previous actions and what you deem "derailing," so your player finds a solution and does your job for you.

Please, please stop DMing. Let aforementioned players do it from now on. They're clearly better than you.

t. guy who never plays

>You're a shit DM so they have to go out of their way to make your game bearable.

His players are contributing, and everyone's having fun. He's doing a good job.

Why are you such a shithead?

He said This Guy, leave you That Guy impression for the next whining thread.

You're right, I only run games. And I have a pretty clear understanding that they're not about my story, or my "creations," but rather how players interact with them.

I'm pointing out the flaws in his stories; maybe he'll be a better DM because of it.

The irony here is that is that OP is a "That Guy." He's a "That Guy" making a "This Guy" thread.

Question: am I being that DM by requiring my players to paint their minis.

For context, nobody is required to buy their paint or supplies, and only one player is refusing.

For even more context:
>my argument is that I'm putting an effort into making an immersive table for my players so I feel fair in asking that their miniatures at least match
>her argument is that she's afraid to mess up

>And I have a pretty clear understanding that they're not about my story, or my "creations," but rather how players interact with them.
Do you have a clear set of rules on most possible interactions with game objects? If you adjudicate on fly then that's just poor form.

rpg =/= mini painting
Ask her if there is something else she can do: draw a map, keep a diary for the group or other things that she will be more comfortable/competent with.

Offer her to help her paint.

I'm shit at painting, but I try.

You're a shit DM for requiring your players to use miniatures without being able to provide them yourself. They should be allowed to bring their own ones, but you should provide the painted miniatures if it was a requirement.

Dices, pen and paper are the required tools for gaming. And even those you can forgive if someone already has plenty or the dices are weird. Minis are not.

In a A song of Ice and Fire RPG, the DM was throwing a lot of shit at us. He was not being that DM: we had ennemies and they were trying to make our lives difficult, so no big deal.
One player, who played a knight, began to whine about how the DM was mean to us, but the player who played the Heir took another path: he found ways to turn every fucking trap into an opportunity to benefit our noble House.
E.g: a blacksmith's daughter told her father that our heir knocked her up. The claim was ridiculous because we were in town for 5 days top and she was several months pregnant, but instead of brushing off the accusation, he convinced the blacksmith that his daughter has probably been bribed and that she would have a much better life in the countryside, away from the sins of the city. By the way, wasn't he interested to be a blacksmith in a quieter place? Cause we hirin' and will help to find a decent husband fo her daughter, and maybe a job for the kid in the castle.
He showed us the way and the next sessions, everyone stopped whining about our misfortunes and thought about solutions or ways to turn a trap or a problem into opportunities and gains for our family: the knight hired a street orphan who attacked us and made him his squire, etc.

Nice

>pre-determined backstories
Go play a Jedi in your next d&d game. There is nothing wrong with limiting your players according to the scenario or story you want to tell. It's not like they don't have Any choice to make. They can still do the character they want, but they cannot IGNORE the situation i put them in.

I remember my dude with great fondness. One time he was GMing?
>get assassination job from not!furry dog creatures
>we get to the target
>the target is actually a newborn, born under an ominous star or whatever
>don't care about the religious reasons, I just want my silver
>party slowly starting to turn against me on the issue
>i'm not gonna kill my own party so we argue
>more and more party members turn against the plan
>soon i'm alone
>they start really really insisting i think about the payout
>i think 30 silver for a no-brainer assassination is no issue, I mean it's not a lot but we're shipwrecked on a mostly desolate island
>it really takes me about 45 minutes to realize
>30 silver
>religious reasons

I laughed so much in the following ten minutes I couldn't breather and really thought for a moment I'm going to die right there, doing what I love.

I feel like I'm starting to recognize this poster by their typing style. You do know that /pol/ has more traffic and is easier to bait, right?

dope

You're kinda being That DM. Miniatures help make the game "immersive?" Really? Come on. It's minutia, don't let it mess with your game.

bump

I've had no This Guy. All I've had are guys, That Guys, murderhobos, powergamers and sullen people. It must be nice to play with people who aren't retardedly jaded.