Cult Ambush! Edition
Core rules:
>mega.nz/#!0tcUTSLI!CbZfDWqYYe0C2sIDLNlHCh1Wj9I6uihERaaGEb6wk3c

Kill Team rules:
>games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/SWA_Killteams_ENG.pdf

Blank roster sheet:
>games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/ShadowWar/ENG_SWARoster.pdf

New mission for 3+ players
>17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/40k8_SW_Armageddon_Grab_the_Cache.pdf

Fürst für ze emperor

So.. After realising my mistake that special weapons operatives can't take basic weapons here's my revamped list. I should add that my local meta is mostly csm and fairly open, large boards.

Plus I can probably give the snipers plasma and melta if needed without remodelling them, since I can probably get away with claiming the weapons are on their backs, under the cameleoline cloaks.

I like it a lot. Pretty low volume of fire, but other than that seems really neat.
Reposting my Cults list for feedback since last thread died. Not too sure if mostly pistols is bad

How dense terrain do you have? If really dense then a cc focus like that might work. Although personally I would've tried fielding more people if I was gsc.

Having a blast with my very mediocre scouts. I'm becoming increasingly sad that shotguns are awful, though. Frag grenades render the, completely obsolete outside of the very corner case of two models within an inch and a half of each other somewhere between 12 and 18 away

What are some interesting ways to field Gene Stealer Cults?

Bolt pistols aren't worse than shotguns and autopistols are fine too.

Taking all pistols was my way of squeezing in an extra dude, since I'm pretty heart set on taking both stubbers, and a flamer just seems pretty good in general. I plan on playing in pretty dense terrain.
Thanks, I figured as much but don't have really any experience with this

I don't know that there are any beyond just spamming mans.

They're all WS3 BS3, they can't shoot for shit, can't fight in close combat for shit, cost the same as guard veterans per guy and can't get any good misc equipment.

>super sneaky infiltration faction can't get camo gear.

>having camo gear
>and also a huge flashlight on your shoulder
I mean...

>Orks can get a red dot sight, but GSC can't

If a space marine scout can use camo gear a much smaller dude in less conspicuous armor definitely can.

>Not having a purple flashlight and only fighting Orks
It's like you aren't even trying gue'la

This is actually a problem for me.

I want to run an "elite" GSC killteam, but I can't because you can't tool them up at all.

Just write up a Guardsman list and fluff them as GSC at that point. They're cultists, not elite soldiers

Neophyte Leader - 120
Bolt pistol - 25

Neophyte Heavy - 70
Seismic Cannon - 250
Photovisor - 15

Neophyte Heavy - 70
Seismic Cannon - 250
Photovisor - 15

Neophyte Initiate - 50
Autopistol - 15

Neophyte Initiate - 50
Autopistol - 15

Neophyte Initiate - 50
Combat Blade - 5

As many blasting charges as possible, whilst screaming infidel.

I was thinking about this. Also about Inquisition, with the inquisitor being an imperial noble who has taken up the cause of the proletariat and is the source of their funding.

Looks like i can't read rules.
Does the Skitarii Kil Team ignoring the first failed ammo roll work once for each fighter or once for the whole army period?

>Artificer Weaponry: A Skitarii fighter may ignore the first failed Ammo roll in each game

Sounds like the first guy that fails can ignore it and then it's done.

That's not actually super clear.

I feel the wording is ambiguous, but the intention is pretty clear. How the fuck would it make sense that only one of them got to ignore an ammo roll because they all have special weaponry?

It doesn't need to make sense to be a rule. GW puts out nonsense rules constantly.

And people pretty consistently ignore those rules outside of tournament play.
>pic related tho

I want to run a Kroot warband in SWA as I've always had a soft spot for them and love them in the few novels I've read with them in.

What should I count them as? I was considering Inquisitorial?

Genestealer cultists would probably be the closes (6+ armor, start game in hiding etc)
If you could get over having to count your kroot rifles as autoguns anyhow

And get over having bad strength and WS. There's not really a great equivalent for kroot. I'd have said DE but they can't get basic weapons because lolwyches.

>bad S and WS
They'd be the same strength either way, and +1 initiative seems a fine way to represent Kroot being slightly better in melee than a basic 'umie

Initiative has zero affect on hand to hand combat.

Read the rules please

>let's you actually see people so you can charge
>no affect on combat
Come on people

Well you said better in melee
Not gets you into melee

I said represents them being in Melee. When going for a counts-as armies, you're going to have to make some concessions as far as having rules that match your dudes perfectly

doesn't it break ties in combat?

Why did they make the Deathwatch Veteran an anti-ork unit when they knew they will including rules for all the xenos ? Doesn't that make him too good against Orks in close combat and mediocre against other factions ?

Is this a preview of what the Deathwatch will be in 8th, veteran Marines with slight buffs against xenos instead of a stand alone operator army with abilities that can be used against any other army ?

yes, in a tie the highest initiative gets a single hit, but that's fairly unusual.

What percentage of a model has to be GW bits to be kosher for use in a GW store?

I want to make a SAS regiment for use in SWAG (using Anvil Industry bits) and later on in full scale 40k.

Any bits suggestions would be nice too. Currently i'm planning on SAS gasmasks and fatigue arms from Anvil, with catachan chests/legs.

headswaps are usually acceptable, as is shit like 3rd party base scenery and random accessories.

Generally its wise to use actual 40k weapons.

depends on the store, store operators are pretty much allowed to set their own rules for that. My store is 50% GW stuff.

House rule: If you roll a '1' for your 1d3 prometheum after winning a game, you can get a special operative next game for free.

Lets the winner actually get more prizes every time than having a 33% chance of the exact same as the loser.

Meh. If your intention is for the winner to end up with more loot on average, make the loser's prize variable (he gets 1 on a 4-6 on a d6, maybe).

How about you just get 2 for winning and 1 for losing.

My intention is to actually see more Special Operatives, who for the most part aren't worth either the bounty or costing you prometheum when you need the same resource for winning the campaign.

What color should I paint these dudes. Good old purple, or construction yellow?

That's fanon though. Kommandos and Blood Axes use actual* camouflage.

*may or may not be in accurate colors, however.

The core rulebook factions were written with eachother in mind. The others were done as a thing after they realised that they could make some money off of it. Then they found out just how much people actually wanted it.

Frankly I'm not sure why this isn't the standard rule.

Because GW like to randomize things that shouldn't be random, and have things be fixed that should be random.

i think it makes sense to preserve parity across a campaign
it'd be nearly impossible to come back if there was a set number on the victor

You know a primus even has a needle pistol.

Genestealers confirmed for good alternate inquisition.

Played my first game today, Scouts against Genestealer Cult. This is a much more enjoyable experience than 40K. It took us about an hour, and that was with some rules referencing. If GW pulls support for this and sweeps it under the rug after 8th Ed. comes out - they're idiots.

How'd it go? Who won?

What list building program you gais use?

What list building program should I use?

Battlescribe, though they don't have every army done yet.

I was probably going to win but I had a scout who was in close combat with two Cultists. I decided, since it was my first game and we were all doing stuff just to see how the rules play, to shoot into that combat with my Heavy Bolter with sustained fire. Rolled double 6s, took everyone out of action. Decided for my own team I should probably play Orks. Building a list now.

i play orks, they're a lot of fun.
take a big shoota
also get a red dot sight on every single shoota on your list.

>What percentage of a model has to be GW bits to be kosher for use in a GW store?
Where I live, 100%. If it ain't gw it don't get on the table.

Rules released for real on Friday. Can't wait for a decent quality pdf

I care a lot less about that than I do about them coming out with a FAQ so it's possible to know important things like when to roll for how many wounds a weapon does.

Oh please. Extrapolate from Necromunda or how 40k has always done it (which is after the "roll to wound").

If you are playing with that kind of rules lawyers tell them to go fuck themselves.

hit -> to wound -> armor save (if applicable) -> damage -> injuries

Both editions of necromunda and second edition both have the same ambiguity written in to their rules. To get the actual answer you have to dig up the necromunda errata.

That's fucking ridiculous and there's no excuse for it. They copy-pasted a problem that had to be errata'd 3 times already.

I'd have to go digging through my old books but I'm pretty sure there is no ambiguity in 2nd ed as I never even heard of people having this problem until they started bitching about it in SW:A.

It may be shoddy rules writing but there are still far more important things like clarifying if the Tau sniper rifle was supposed to have a second fire mode like its fluff and cost would indicate.

also bone swords lol
and climbing up shit that isn't a barrier you're trying to cross

Citing rules from older games doesn't help you when you play at your local GW and there's obese tau and eldar playing WAACfags who started in 7th edition in your campaign.

Yeah it does when 90% of the rules are literally copy pasted from NCE which was a modified version of 2nd ed.

Grow some balls and learn to put WAACfags in their place.

Tell them if they can't handle themselves like reasonable adults you won't play army mans with them.

It's a beer and pretzels skirmish game. If you're taking it that seriously then I'd recommend rethinking your life.

While I do just what you say and have done in the past, there can be a time in your life when you don't have the luxury to choose your friends. Maybe you just moved to a new city and don't have any friends atm or you simply have a harder time making friends than normal and have to make do with whatever people allow you into their sphere. In any case there are situations when a rational interpretation isn't enough and you need hard proof and logical reasoning.

hobbies are the only thing worth taking seriously desu

The fact that it worked that way in every other version of that rules lineage is enough for logical reasoning. While there may be ambiguity in SW:A there is nothing solid to over rule how it worked in previous editions. In fact the onus is on them to provide proof that the rules should function counter to how they worked in 2nd ed and Necromunda.

It was a question answered in the official FAQ for 2nd ed necromunda. It's actually a fairly common issue.

Scored the game for 120 bucks. Putting together a scout team now. How are marines compared to other factions?
Should I go top heavy and invest a lot into my leader, or spread it around?
Boltgun on scouts, bolt pistols on initiates?
Thanks in adv

They're basically just outright better than guard.

Are you serious? That's really obnoxious.

Marines are pretty strong.
Sniper + toxic round is an excellent weapon whatever else you end up running.

Sgt, trooper x2 w sniper rifle, toxic rounds?

maybe not that many, it's expensive and you can't move and shoot.

>When something is hard, live with the lowest common denominator
Yeah, nah. Stop being a beta.

that mohawk
where did u get it

I'm serious. While I find it annoying I do understand their standpoint from a business perspective.

Only low life borderline psychopaths worry about the beta/alpha bullshit. While I am lucky to be in a position in life where I can enjoy a whole lot of liberties such as asking people to fuck off if I don't like them, I do acknowledge that some of my fellow humans aren't in such a position. And a group is always stronger than the individual. The lonewolf competitive thinking is just a way for those having trouble working in a group to function somewhat normally.

You must be from the US.

What do you guys think about this paintjob? Inb4 thin my paints.

Yes, I agree with you. This pop-psychology bullshit alpha bullshit needs to end. When did it become masculine to adopt the social hierarchy of fucking pack animals? Wolves are not cool; they're cowardly opportunists (like all dogs). So unless you want to have more in common with a fucking gorilla than your fellow man, you need to shove your "alpha mentality" up your arse.

This concludes my rant.

t. beta

Ya got me

Is there any point to grab two pairs of scything talons on nids, or better go with talons/claws + shotting arms?
I've never plated nids so I have no idea how does it work. Do they loose extra attack dice for having pair of CCArms and shooting arms?

I like it.
A second pair of scything talons has a lot of bonuses, actually. I'd take it.
With nids, I don't think you need any ranged weapons besides on the gunbeast. But I've only played against them on a 3x3 table, so that would clearly favor close combat more than 4x4.
I genuinely don't know if you lose an extra attack die for having a basic weapon. I think you should because that's what it says in the base rules, but tyrannids have a ton of exceptions built in and weapons go by pairs so it's kind of hard to tell.

It's just a trendy way of saying dominant/submissive. Don't get your panties in a twist.

The concept of alpha/beta males is completely discredited even in the context of wolves. The originator of the term even agrees and expressed that he regrets coining the term to begin with.

It's just plain nonsensical horseshit.

It doesn't accurately describe any kind of human behavior, particularly not that of two people of equal status arguing about the rules of a game.

You don't win an argument with a person by "being alpha", you win by convincing the other person that your position is the more valid one.

It's like the people saying "hurr just be alpha" have never had any interactions with other humans before.

Deathspitter on your leader, bio-cannons on your gun-beasts, scything talons everywhere else.

A pair if scything talons is only one weapon, not two, so you don't get bonus attack dice unless you have another weapon. Also you lose the bonus if you have a gun, just like anyone else.

Two pairs of scything talons is a powerful, cheap load out that gives +1 attack, rerolls on wounds and +1 WS, it's great.

Also give your leader a Deathspitter, he'll still beat most things in close combat and it's dumb to waste his BS4.

Fan. Fucking. Tastic.

Stealing your idea btw. Once I get the cash :)

So, what's a good loadout for inquisition? Boss with a ss and plasma pistol, few boys with stormbolters, few crusaders with ss and..?

What would be a good ork team?

Crusaders would be good with a plasma pistol and/or power sword ontop of the shield. Power sword is to offset their 1 attack with the option to parry opposing higher dice.

Red dots on all of the stormbolters.

Load up on yer Inquisitor and watch them wreck everything.

The paint could have been a little thinner when applied...looks a tad clumpy. But that major criticism aside I think the scheme is great and I bet he looks amazing on the table.