Connected to MCTNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files:
>Cyberzombies__How_to_deal_with_them.knwsft
>Jarheads__Where_Are_They_Now.trid
>BIOWARE_CYBERZOMBIES_PROOF.trid
>nanohive_update.exe

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 402 (3% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Ya know chummer, I've been wondering. You hear about these cyberzombies, ruthless killing machines that can't be stopped with normal means and have no emotion. And, ya know, doesn't that describe the average sammy from the point of a wageslave?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Last_Memories.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Cyber edition
How close are you to the naught line?
Are you desperately trying to cram more into yourself?
Would you let yourself be turned into a cyberzombie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI
bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-02-16/elon-musk-is-really-boring
store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/shadowrun/products/shadowrun-forbidden-arcana-advanced-magic-rulebook
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI

Are you ready for the LA underground highways? What are some interesting ways to use them, besides car thefts on underground highways?

In case you're wondering, Elon Musk has an insane proposal that he be allowed to build tunnels all over LA for cars to reduce traffic. He's bought a giant boring machine and he plans to just go for it without getting permits. He is literally a megacorp CEO bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-02-16/elon-musk-is-really-boring

Any of you chummers Hooders? It feels like they're few and far between in-setting nowadays, especially in the 5e lore. Which is a crying shame, since I love that kind of character within future dystopias, when a setting can hold that kind of Phantom 2040 vibe where your character, his allies and other Runners are some of the few defenders of a dying world.

That aspect of cyberpunk settings I think has gotten pushed aside too much lately in the sense of too much cyber, not enough punk. I hate just doing runs for The Man to target the other Man, man. Let me destroy evil laboratories and have good guy and villain monologues that lead up to hype fights.

Prooobably not a thing in LA, or outside of arcologies.

Remember, in the 6th world, LA is under water chummer, has been since some really massive quakes. Any tunnels, basements, BART, whatever is flooded if not collapsed.

I was just invited to my first shadowrun game and I have a few questions. 1) What should I expect? 2) What should I build to strengthen my party most? I originally wanted to play a mage, and may still do so but the current party is : 2 mages specced into stealth, 1 stabby, 1 sniper, a standard street sam, a face, and an adept, they also have an NPC technomancer, should I not choose to play one. 3) What's fun to play? I've never played shadowrun before and am equally hyped about potential pink mohawk/tacticool shenanigans.

The question is, will those trams come up at red lights and abduct cars at random?

As for run ideas, the fights that will break out between the current underground population and these boring crews. Will you side with freedom and maximum comfy hobbithole, or with the soulless no trespassing signs and blank concrete tubes?

Okay, with your group so large and with two mages and an adept, magic should be covered unless they're complete idiots. What's the adept doing though? Guns? Melee, unarmed, what?

I'd say go drone rigger so you have a cool ride and can use drones to spy/suppress. Snipers really tend to not do well in Shadowrun given how mobile the fighting is (And that it usually takes place indoors.)

If that's not fun and you want to go full tacticool, go stealth infiltrator.

If it weren't your first time, I'd say go technomancer sprite-herder so you and the NPC can doubleteam spiders. Do -not- play a technomancer on your first campaign.

Thanks for the advice? How does one rigger? What sort of stats do I need? Equipment? Skills? I understand I could (and will) read most of this, but it's always nice to get an opinion fresh from an experienced player.

I went through a phase where all I did was play ideologically motivated characters (eco-terrorist, ork rights activist, neo-anarchist), and while each was fun on it's own it's exhausting to try and be a moral compass in a shit world.

You could try decking, as it seems the group is lacking in the Matrix category (unless they decided they didn't want any of that at all, and have the technomancer npc there for handwavium). It's a harder path to start on, but with NPC matrix support and so many people in the party to save the situation if you fuck up, it could be a golden opportunity to get into that side of the game.

Also, if the sniper doesn't already have drone spotters get some, and be his new best friend.

Oh damn omae, the basic google-able questions you should just answer yourself by reading the books. Core and Rigger5 are both in the pastebin.

Generals are not for spoonfeeding. But one thing I will tell you that the books won't is: Buy cheap drones. Put cheap weapons on them. Expensive drones and high-end weapons are just gonna get fragged and suck up all your nuyen. Also ask your GM if the techno NPC can use his sprites to diagnostic or buff your drones in any way.

Don't recommend decking if he'll be the only person there doing matrix shit in such a large group. It'll just slow the game down for everyone and they'll resent him for it.

Why shouldn't he play a technomancer for his first campaign and get right into it?

Go to pastebin. Get Hayek Sheets, they have rules summaries and play aids for everything. read the books, learn the sheets, go HAM.

Decking can be done quickly, though, it just requires the GM to know what he's doing as well as the player. Call for a couple of rolls to determine marks and you're out of the virtual world in 2 minutes, or at least at a chance to get to another player's turn. With multiple stealth-focused characters, there's going to be a lot of jumping around between individual scenes anyways.

Being a Hooder in a shadowrun is like being a rich guy in neighborhood of gang members. It is an one way trip to hell since Universal Brotherhood taught the sixth world charity is just an excuse for something more sinister to take hold than the guy who eats endangered species for fun.

store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/shadowrun/products/shadowrun-forbidden-arcana-advanced-magic-rulebook

It's out. Who's biting the bullet?

Because it's a ton of pain unless you're already experienced with the Matrix, and Technos will -die- if they fuck up. Deckers just take stun damage until their deck is bricked, but the character can still survive.
>Decking can be done quickly, though, it just requires the GM to know what he's doing as well as the player.
>As well as the player.
He's a first time player chummer. He doesn't even know the basics of rigging. I wouldn't bet on him knowing matrix rules that well yet.

where's the pastebin, my apologies?

In the OP. Read the first post.

True, he doesn't know his hoop from a hole in the ground. But learning the ground level of decking is no more complicated than learning the ground level of combat.

>Choose your approach, sneaky or smashy

>Do a Matrix Perception test to find what you want

>Hack on the Fly (sneaky) or Brute Force (smashy) to get marks on it

>Edit File to do 90% of what you want done, possible another action for a niche

>Jack out

People say decking is a bad choice for new players because they need to learn another system on top of meatspace (and techomancy is another level on top of that) but there's worse places to learn it than with a GMPC watching your back.

In the OP.

Yeah, but the wording says that the NPC is only there if there's no decker or techno among the players.

If he chooses to play a decker, he's not got the NPC techno to watch his back.

Reaction, Logic, Intuition and Willpower are the only stats you really need. Which order depends on what exactly you want to do.

As for equipment and skills the thing is that whatever skill you don't have you can more or less compensate for by getting equipment in the form of drones and autosofts, especially so for technical skills. Pilot and Gunnery will be your two most important skills for assuming direct control, while Electronic Warfare can be largely useful as well. It can be tempting to try and have drones for every possible contingency, but limit yourself to a couple of drone models and roles, preferably cheap ones, and have multiples.

>How close are you to the naught line?
>Are you desperately trying to cram more into yourself?
>Would you let yourself be turned into a cyberzombie?

Me, I'm pretty far away, as I find it more worthwhile to have my chrome in flying packages of death or in customized large metal boxes.

A teammate of mine? He's a cyberdoc heading straight for Cyberzombie town, who's first question when encountering any kind of tech is more or less "can I put this inside me?"

But user, I thought the most important rule in SRG is don't buy from the CGL, it's worse than making two deals with a dragon.

>already have 6 players, you're the 7th
Uhh not sure how that's going to shake out but usually the answer is, "Not well."

No decker on the list so that would probably add the most utility.

If one person buys it and gives it to everyone else, then they get almost nothing.

True enough on that, omae. I just remember the Wolf and Raven book set in Shadorun, and expected something a little different when it came to the overall lore, since Doc Raven and his crew in that were pretty heroic and adventurous, and was, for the longest time, the kind of thing I based characters around, something sort of swashbuckler-esque. Then I get around to reading 5e's lore and the sort of tone most other players go for and it just doesn't feel as fun to me.

I know that this is a topic that damn near starts a flamewar every time it's brought up, but, this is something I really want to know in order to make it a bit easier on my GM:

Decking [5th edition]

At the moment, I'm wanting to make a character that is 40% decker, 40% Face, and 20% Blackmailing douchebag.

Like, the big idea is that he's a charmer, who's always got a plan, always having 'just the right person' in his pocket.

In reality, he spends all his free time scouring the net for every ounce of information he can and collecting it into a database for future use.

The biggest idea is hacking into police databases to use THEIR fancy tech and resources to do, say, facial recognition searches on people.

However, hacking into a police station on a regular basis seems like me hogging up a shitload of time to do the whole 'decking' thing, but if he's not able to get reliable information on everyone (Name, address, grades of daughter in 3rd grade) then he loses half of his gimmick.

Without demanding the GM play by a different set of rules just so I can deck more often than usual, are there any 'simple' fixes that could work for this idea of extended decking?

Doing it during your downtime and one on one sessions with your GM since you'll basically just be tossing dice for half an hour.

You get the quality from Data Trails that's about learning people's background for advantage, and when you make that roll you say you're harvesting their P2.0, business contact info, government records, and yes private security outfits.

Is there a way to stop players from attempting to plan every little thing out? On average it takes our group 4-5 sessions to complete a run from meeting the johnson to receiving the cred. Im not trying to rush them in the hopes of screwing them over, but their level of meticulousness can bring play to a crawl. I feel like no progress is being made when it takes a real life month to accomplish an in game day or two.

The question you should ask yourself is what got them into this habit? How many times did you really punish them hard for overlooking something?

Or just sit them down and tell them you want to run a pink mohawk game.

I've had my group play in a pre-crash 2.0 universe, but I'm planning on running them through the crash and then timeskipping to a point where the wireless matrix is up. However, I've been using the shadowless BBS for fluff and my players like checking it for bits of info and just for giggles. Shadowless gets destroyed during the crash, and jackpoint seems like a very secrit club. Is there any replacement for the BBS that caters to the wider/entire shadow community?

not him, but:

Rather than telling them "I want a pink mohawk game" Explain to them that they are seriously overkilling things

I had a similar problem with my group (and in games I played in).

My solution was to set things up like a movie. Instead of giving the players a big open-ended sandbox to work with to achieve vaguely defined objectives and avoid hidden pitfalls, things are laid out in a straightforward manner. They know what they have to do, and a little legwork will uncover the one or two twists that turn it from "go from A to B, stealing X on the way" into a challenge. Maybe it's paracritters, maybe there's a bunch of technomancer supremacists planning an attack on the same building in the same timeframe, maybe the package is on a moving convoy.

It shifts the game from, "let's find all the possible problems and dangers," to, "we know what we have to deal with, let's figure out how we'll deal with it." A couple quick vignettes as they lace the steaks with poison, as they grab the technos' battleplans and the party goes in the other side of the facility, as they steal a Lone Star Cruiser and some uniforms, and they're off to the races. Generally they do one session of getting the job and learning what the dangers are, and we end with people chatting over basics of how they can get past the danger. Then next session I start by asking them what the plan is (I try to find out ahead of time via chat) and we get right into it.

You DO NOT have to say, "it's a pink mohawk game, go crazy and it'll work out" to have a game where people are able to plan quickly and move ahead.

Is it more effective to dodge or tank as a sammy?

You can build reasonably effective versions of both. Armour and toughness stuff is generally cheaper.

Both, basically. Its always better to dodge an attack than soak it, because most attacks that land are going to fucking hurt. BUT, its easier and cheaper to increase your Soak Pool. If you do build for high soak, though, you can easily reach 30 Soak as a human, which invalidates most small arts fire.

>Cyber edition
>How close are you to the naught line?
>Are you desperately trying to cram more into yourself?
>Would you let yourself be turned into a cyberzombie?

I'm like half convinced that cyberzombie isn't real. There's no way. I mean, I'm still me, am I not?

Dodging is quite a bit better but you *will* get hit eventually so you're going to want to be able to soak too. Most people see that and decide they may as well plan for that eventuality and lean heavier soak and go for adequate dodge. Soak is also easier to invest in than dodge as the other anons pointed out.

What kind of games does your shadowrunner play for fun?
Do they play TCGs? That one AR MMO? Bloodbowl? Fantasy Street Brawl? Chess? Arcadiumonline?

My sammy plays tic tac toe sometimes.

My guy is actually a decent poker player, due to him being able to read people well, so that's his go-to game. But his favorite thing to do is watch pre-crash movies and go fishing in SSC territory.

Jackpoint isn't the only Shadowrunner online meetup, just the one for the speshulest of snowflakes.

Feel free to make one of your own for whatever area your runners work in.

Not the guy asking, but this is very helpful. Just try to keep the twists down to what you can count on one hand and have them uncoverable without tons of sleuthing, gotcha.

Found the guy who wrote the 'sex' section of 5e.

I think you mean Shadowland, not Shadowless (which would be somewhat off-brand).

As for other canon shadow networks, there's Asgard Data Haven, Denver Data Nexus, Draconian Informational Virtual Exchange (DIVE, maintained by Wyrm Watcher), Mosaic, Helix and Manchester Data Haven (both in Europe), Frozen Shadows (north UCAS), Magestone and Magicknet (guess who they cater to), Kowloon_MK, and The Outpost.

And that's just some of the canon VPNs. Whatever you want in terms of community specialization (geography, content, members, best girl choice, etc), you can have.

Hard earned knowledge, omae. It took me way, WAY too long as a GM to realise that the players only know about the world through me, and that when I leave what I think are fun cryptic remarks and red herrings what they find are a bunch of potential complications that could kill them, and that putting forward a challenge to be overcome is a lot more fun than leaving a mystery to be carefully teased apart. I try not to even twist things (in terms of sudden surprises) unless the dice say so, or during one of the rare times when a twist makes sense narratively AND would help explore a character. Everyone's used to big heist movies having twists, but they forget that much of the time the twist is only in the reveal to the audience, and the criminals were masterminding the entire event.

This temps me to try to play a decker that hosts his own.

That actually sounds like a lot of fucking fun.

Thanks omae, I and my players will appreciate it if I can ever get them to read the books.

Charities, yes. Charity, not so much. Don't trust any organizations, but there's nothing wrong with doing good for people chummer. Just remember not to stick your neck out too far unless you got some principle you wanna die for.

That sounds like a good mid-to-late game goal for a character. Opening a datahaven and then working as a fixer. It'd give your GM something to work with for the next few campaigns too.

Shadowchan when? Shitposting on /Traditional Guns/

Anyone take the great plunge yet? When someone does, tell me if there are any sweet adept things. I'm close to my next initiation in-game and would be happy with some more cool things to buy with power points.

Is combat decking through the AR a viable option and a good way to get into decking proper?
I have the option to dabble into it as my character before we finish our current campaign, so I'm kinda curious if decking might be my thing, as I know it allows you to be pretty imaginative with whatever you hack and honestly I love anything that allows you to play around.

I did, yeah. It's... what the fuck, man.

Someone posted up a thread on Reddit too.

Well, congrats, mages can now Assense whether or not you have a SIN.

>Shadowchan
>Not using an internal router for your cyberware
>2012+66

>Not keeping your bioware in the fridge
>2012+66

Holy shit no joke but the idea of converting a bunch of Veeky Forums memes to shadowrun format for a IC thing amuses the hell out of me. Too bad my group wouldn't get any of them

>mages can now Assense whether or not you have a SIN.

I fucking love adepts but Goddamn do I hate mages. That shit's confusing on why it'd work.

ASTRAL BOUNCER
10 KARMA
Minimum Requirements: Assensing skill 4 (with
Aura Reading specialization)
A character with this quality has astral sight
that is so keen that they’ve developed new
ways of sizing up everyone they meet. Along
with the normal results, every two net hits on
an Assensing skill test can also be used to re-
veal one of the following about a living being:
all positive qualities, all negative qualities,
physical attribute ratings, mental attribute rat-
ings, initiate grade, an initiate power, an adept
power, or Edge rating.

Here you go!

Records on File? Having a SIN? Vendetta? Wanted? Prime Datahaven Membership? Go Big or Go Home? Codeslinger? ANY FUCKING QUALITY AT ALL?

Purge it of watermarks and upload. I must see the madness.

Combat decking is a mixed bag and requires you to be insanely good at decking.

Decking as a side thing is rough if you enter a high rating host, but its easy to hack devices with AR. I advise you go with a mid-grade deck that can get a good sleaze rating and just focus on hacking, computers, EWAR, and software if you want to dabble. Make sure you have good logic and intuition.

Cybercombat and host hacking is for people diving into the deep end.

I love mages too. I hate how much Catalyst fetishizes me thinking that if they keep printing new spells I am going to blow my wad in my pants and buy new books.

Like not to be a hipster about it but I liked mages before they were broken as fuck and the fact that they keep breaking them more just makes people think I am a power gamer for playing one.

Like for fucks sake give mundanes the ability to do shit to magical shit already so everyone has an even playing field.

>decking in AR
Only if you have a ton of initiative

>dabbling in decking
Bad idea. It's a niche that rewards specialization and heavy investment in multiple skills. Unless you have karma and lesson-time to burn, there's not much you can do, even with a good deck.

I neither know how to do that nor have any interest in the possible downsides of that.

Look at the table of contents, and if you want to see something, reply to this post. I'll see if I can get images for it.

Memes should be incomprehensible to people outside of the community. At best you can understand what it is but not why it is (longcat), at worst it's just nonsense (pic related).

And I might be looking at it wrong, but it feels like adepts are getting a bit of the shaft now too. God knows I sure can't get any totally insane metamagics compared to magicians. I have my focus in punching shit, and that's it, end of rine. Meanwhile mages can now see if you have a SIN (which I guess you can too as an adept), and they even broke one of the THREE fucking rules that were established in-setting: not time travel, no teleportation, and no reviving. But whoopsie, guess reviving is k now.

Mundanes need a bone tossed to them, I'll agree 100% there, though.

I mean less cybercombat and more being in the fray, occasionally shooty shooting, whilst placing marks on something and doing some fun shit to mess with the enemy.

>Like for fucks sake give mundanes the ability to do shit to magical shit already so everyone has an even playing field

>rigging along in my armored vehicle
>tfw a mage can just come along and instantly hit it with an electricity spell
>there's NOTHING I can do to stop the spell save for hoping an ally maybe counterspells it, or just fragging the mage before I'm fucked

I know geeking the mage is important but I figure that's more because of the crazy potential they have rather than just 'lol imma throw a simple spell at you good luck soaking faggot'.

>Only if you have a ton of initiative
I have enough where jumping into VR actually reduces my initiative a little, it feels bad. Although with a good cyberdeck that may not be the case.

Dank Memes are an artform of their own to be honest.

How are they breaking the three rules though? I'm assuming they're not giving players the option to time travel and teleport.

>But whoopsie, guess reviving is k now

postit

>I mean less cybercombat and more being in the fray, occasionally shooty shooting, whilst placing marks on something and doing some fun shit to mess with the enemy.

No. This is not an appropriate use of time. Pretty much the only hacking method that is fast enough to be viable in a standard SR firefight is cybercombat, because it can 100 to 0 a device with matrix damage in one action and because of matrix initiative the loss in value of just killing someone is somewhat mitigated.

Dabbling in decking works, but you are less doing badass combat hacks and more setting things up so that when you ambush someone their coms are down, or virtually pickpocketing wageslaves or stealing their cars.

Even great hackers generally don't hack in combat, they usually fight with drones or personally depending on if they are a pure logic setup or are a hacker-samurai.

BLOOD NECROMANCER
15 KARMA
Minimum Requirements: Blood Magic, Spellcasting 6 (with Health specialization)
When a creature dies, it takes a short period of time for their essence to fade as their individual organs and cells begin to fail and die. Characters with this quality can use these minuscule traces of life to revive and stabilize characters who have filled their overflow damage within a number of minutes equal to their (Essence – 1, rounded up). For every minute that the character was dead be- fore being revived, they lose one point of Essence. If the loss would reduce the character’s Essence to zero, that character cannot be revived. Meta-humans who have returned from the dead and the mage who revived them must immediately make a Composure (4) test to avoid acquiring long-term mental, physical, or spiritual ailments. Critters with the Sapience power make a Composure (2) test, while critters without the Sapience power only make a Composure (1) test to resist permanent adverse effects. If a metahuman or critter fails to beat the Composure threshold, they must take a number of negative qualities equal to (threshold – hits) from the table listed below. These negative qualities can be purposefully chosen, or they can be rolled for randomly at the discretion of the gamemaster.

He says they're breaking one of the three. lrn2red

Also they broke the teleportation one in the Lockdown book, but at least that was implied to be probably a scam that wasn't revealed before the city was closed.

>Decker editing corporate logos into LOSS.jpg and displaying them on billboards
>WAGESLAVES GET OFF MY BOARD REEE

Reviving the dead was always possible in SR canon. It was the core of how cyberzombies worked, they were dead people who had their souls shoved back into their bodies by bloodmagic.

Furthermore a lot of the powers in the book are actually very weak abilities from earthdawn, and reviving the recently dead was a weak ability.

And the 3 rules of magic weren't 3 rules of magic. There were like 8, and the "3 rules" were actually separated out because they were the rules that you were allowed to break. In SR's cosmology teleportation, reviving the dead, and time travel were all possible, but the book noted that from a game design perspective reviving George Washington from the dead, traveling through time, and most importantly teleporting into a building in a game all about criminal heists is damaging to the integrity of play and you need to base a campaign around the implications.

The actually immutable rules of magic are boring shit like "No spell can ever summon a spirit because that is conjuration. No spell can counter active magic because that is counterspelling" and other rather administrative rules.

That sounds like a lot of work for at most 5 minute resuscitation
Just carry around some shock paddles desu

Does anyone happen to have a higher quality version of this illustration?

It also is pretty blatantly just a weaker version of the spell used for cybermancy.

>Decker goes around closing every public pool in the city

500 nuyen wirelessly activated strip of medical tape and requires less investment into Blood Magic.

Unless theres a rule stating these Qualities don't cost double in Career mode, they'd be fucked for taking them it seems.

Yeah. It is mostly some people remembering an out of character segment on spell design from 4e making a huge fit about 'the 3 rules.'

It is actually a pretty crappy ability.

>War between Ares and S-K breaks out

>Thor Shots aimed at Berlin and Detroit

>"you must take a nap before you can fire ze missiles"

So deckers can only do the fun stuff ahead of time and just sit in VR behind the scenes?
That sounds kinda lame to be honest.

Speaking of, long stretch but does Forbidden Arcana have anything more on cyberzombies? Creation, how their essence works, anything?

In the moment, you're the guy who stroll through the building in your Chuck Taylors and cheese-stained Neil the Orc Barbarian shirt, tapping a couple AR windows while the previously-marked turrets turn on the corpsec, all the cars in the parking lot race out onto the highway to crash into oncoming SWAT vans, and the project lead's Sekretariat comes down to offer you it's best blowjob.

Oh, I was under the impression you had to stay in VR in order to use anything you'd marked, but if marks stay once you jump out (or more likely, you just edited the file of the turrents to register corpsec as enemies and your team as allies) then that's pretty cool. Sort of a set up and watch the pieces fall into place in action.
I can see how that might be annoying to GM though, having to wait for your decker to set things up before things actually start, but I guess that's just how it is.

No. I didn't say that.

I said that if you dabble in hacking that is what your hacking is going to be good for.

Deckers can do all kinds of stuff like using pocket drones to replace their firearms skills with gunnery and logic to let them 360 noscope headshot people virtually in real life, can cybercombat smash shit, and target with sensors for their team.

If you are already competent at fighting however there is no reason to waste your time with this stuff. Deckers do this when they don't have prep time because it lets them leverage their resources towards fighting, not because its actually the best way to fight. It is sorta like how most faces who can fight don't sit around rolling leadership for their team. A pure face COULD do that if they HAD to, but you really would be better off getting agility 'ware, wired reflexes, and 6 ranks in automatics to blast people yourself. +3 to hit on a sam is not worth losing an entire set of passes.

Also what said. You can do a lot even with 10 dice to hack and a mid-grade deck if you focus on soft targets, though maybe not hacking everything in a building. It tips the scale a lot and gives you more versatility with sensors as well. It is just the idea of being a keyboard warrior in a firefight won't make sense at the scale of most SR combats, because they end usually in less than one combat turn, or two if the fight is really long. In an abstract, larger battle combat decking is a big deal, and if you get into big skirmishes it can help a lot, but in a firefight where you generally already can take out 3 people a combat turn? Wasting *multiple* passes to even set up a hack isn't a good deal.

You don't need to stay in VR to keep marks. Marks reset when you reset your device. You can switch from VR to AR at will in one hacking session.

Editing the files of the turrets isn't possible without bootstrapping them, which is not at all subtle, meaning you can't do it to a ton of devices unless you ice the sysop in a host (which you won't be able to do as a dabbler) or are using a high end deck running an agent, bootstrap and fork to reformat and then reset 4 of them all at once.

In general it is much easier to take control of them manually and then roll gunnery yourself in a remote surprise attack, or to ahead of time shut them down while security is trying to find you. Actually taking control of devices on a semi-permanent basis was a feature of 4e, and is much less possible in 5e.

>Shadowchan/pol/
>Dunkelzahn was a meme candidate
>ELFED.COM
>The night of rage was a hoax
>Happy Dragon.jpg

Alright, thanks for the tips, chummers.
If there's any clean decker guides, I'll happily read them. If not I'll just reread the rules some more and try to wrap my head around them.

Alright, it's official. There are now Spirits of Land, Sea, and Air vehicles.

There are now, CANONICALLY, OFFICIALLY, anthropomorphic boat/train/bus/plane/jet-girls.

Wait like, actual machine spirits?

Is it a spirit that is possessing the machinery, or a spirit that the machine generates that can be spoken to?

VEHICLE SPIRITS
> Wait, what?
> Slamm-0!
I’m willing to bet someone just went “Wait,
what?” under that title.
> Drek.
> Slamm-0!
Truth is, there have been legends of spiritual
vehicles for a thousand years, with ships being the
first of these “ghost vehicles,” then trains, cars, and
now aircraft as well. These spirits are somewhat
harder to classify, with most having simply called
them spirits of man and moved on, but they’re dis-
tinct enough that I feel that they deserve their own
classification. I’ve further separated them into four
subcategories, matching a more traditional spiritu-
al class. I’m blazing a bit of a trail here, and we’re
a long way from a proper peer review, so under-
stand that there are some areas that will need to
be amended over time.

>spirit ships are now a thing

Finally my Jojofaggotry can shine bright

If you are reading the new book how bad is the art and editing this time around? If not what's your source on that?

Don't make me shake a can of pennies

In general most decking is going to be:

Roll logic+hacking to get a mark

Roll EWAR+intuition to do a thing.

There are exceptions, but most hacking actions you will want to do as a dabbler are:

Hack on the fly (Said Logic+hacking to get marks and ask questions as per matrix perception as a minor bonus)

Matrix Perception (Computer+intuition to ask specific questions about an icon)

Spoof command (Hacking+intuition Send a fake order from a device, requires marks on the owner, not the device you are commanding)

and

Control device (EWAR+Intuition, command a device as if you were its owner, requires marks on the device)

There are a lot of other actions you should know about, like cracking and editing files, snooping on matrix traffic, ect, but in general "I want X device to do Y thing *right now*" is most of hacking, and that is how you get a device to do something and how you avoid smashing into databombs or whatever while doing so.

It might not be a jojo reference, but I'm damn well gonna make it one in my game, user-kun. Stand Ship and Stand Radio Tower on the way.

Okay but how does this relate to vehicles? Can they inhabit any vehicle, or is it just old spooky vehicles?
What if they inhabited a vehicle with a rigger interface? Would rigging into them be considered spirit rape, or would the rigger just get fucked?
Knowing magic and mundanes it's probably the latter.

I have the new book, yeah. If you want sources on shit, go ahead and ask.

The art is okay. Editing is overall okay, I haven't noticed any errors really yet, other than the ENTIRE FUCKING """NEW ALCHEMICAL PREPS""" section being literally just examples of spells used as preparations from Core/CRB, without even so much as anything like an inventive use for them. It is, literally, three pages of nothing.

Whole CHAPTER on Blood Magic! Did we get costs for buying/making/binding Athames yet? Of course we didn't!

Combat Spells with dual-elements that somehow have less Drain that one with one? Sure!

The ability to Assense someone and know if they have a legitimate SIN along with the name and corp/country it belongs to, the Records on File quality, the Restricted Gear quality, and a whole fucking slew of other retardedly insane bullshit that shouldn't be able to be figured out via Assensing? Yep, it's there!

VEHICLES OF THE LAND
The ones you’re more likely to see (in a relative
sense; most people will go their entire lives with-
out seeing one of these things) are the land ve-
hicles, simply because you’re more likely to be
there than anywhere else. The first thing you may
notice is the age of these things; not a single one
has been spotted that dates after the Awakening
in terms of emulated design, which is rather sur-
prising due to magic not existing when these cars
did. There are some working theories about this,
the largest being that modern designs are some-
how lacking the right “soul,” while others think
it’s tied in with the spread of plastic and other
unnatural materials in their construction. I hope
to investigate this further at some stage but, for
now, my research keeps me otherwise engaged.
Then again, a few of them are fairly close to my
current location …
Trains come in two flavors: The more common
is the ghost train, which runs along the tracks it
once traveled, despite those tracks having been
gone for a century or more. They seem to be most-
ly harmless, simply passing through and whistling,
which has some researchers rating them more as
phenomena than true spirits. There are also those
who have seen them stop to pick up lone passen-
gers who have never been seen again.

There's more, but frankly, I'm getting to that point where it's difficult to even be angry about it. It's got good bits in the qualities and whatnot, but so much of it is just so cripplingly, retardedly bad.

>Train spirits