An extremely powerful cleric backed by probably not really playing by the rules god attempts to cover the whole world...

>an extremely powerful cleric backed by probably not really playing by the rules god attempts to cover the whole world in an epic, permaenent, undispellable, unresistable, unsavable Zone of Truth

Is he a villain to stop or a hero to protect against villains?

>tfw you can no longer come up with polite excuses not to be a total dick when people ask you to do shit you totally don't want to do

He needs to be stopped.

Maybe?

Is English your first language?

no, it's not

You could just say "sorry, I don't want to do that".

It'd lead to an interesting society. You'd have no reason not to believe anything someone says, but at the same time, as long as you believe something is true you can say it without being correct. It'd probably become very secluded based on beliefs.

>then they ask "But why?"

I think it quickly becomes a game of how long can we keep giving vague answers that don't reveal our innermost feelings, then.

He's not a villain, but after that if anyone ever manages to get an artifact that makes them immune to Zone of Truth, they'll reap infinite benefits.

I think etiquette would shift towards not being an ass and provoking a hurtful remark then be upset about it.

He's an autismo who gets ripped apart by countless legions of people of all races who lost their jobs and can no longer get laid.

Isn't this how Dragon Lance started?
Basically OP's scenario happened. The other god. got fucked off and dropped a moon on the planet.

Dragon Lance started because Priest-King was gonna become a god and somehow could pull it off, so gods decided to erase the competition.

And Priest-King's brand of "good" was not "you can't like", it was "you get burned to death if you lie, or misstep, or are ugly, etc."

There's difference between disproportionate retribution for a sin, and phsically preventing a sin altogether.

He needs to be stopped because if that Zone of Truth really happens, that means that the Barrier of Lies that the Gods created to hide the truth about the horrible writhing all-consuming cosmos will collapse.

And when you can see THEM, THEY can see you.

Clearly, that cleric is in league with a horror from the Far Realm.

But wasn't it his mass mind reading spell that pushed them over the edge?

it was his "ascend to godhood" ritual. they stood by calmly while he slaughtered people for pettiest reasons.

Your setting is shit.

but he's talking about real world user. our world.

Mmmm gonna steal this for my next character's motivation.

faeries say hi.
they still manage to be dicks even when constantly telling the truth

Did somebody say IRON HEART SURGE?

It was because he was disturbing the balance of good and evil, not because he was going to become a god(he wasn't). Notice that the gods did shit all to stop Raistlin, and he actually DID manage to pull it off at least in one timeline.

You are just *frumple*. When you start to have *fun* we will *see* you and we can *go inside* and be *happy campers*!

Wasn't this that Ricky Gervais "Invention of Lying" movie?