Why is there no Endless Legend RPG?

>interesting and engrossing lore
>interesting setting
>good number of major races
>good number of minor races
>sources of conflict

Would Veeky Forums play an Endless Legend RPG? How would you homebrew it?

An Endless universe RPG would be interesting, but you'd need to figure out what scale the players would be acting at and how the various sources interacted.

After all, we have Endless Legend, Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless all contributing bits and pieces to the greater whole.

I think a game focusing on the world of Auriga would be the best option for a more traditional RPG style of game.

I'd be down. Maybe base it on Runequest or something?

But Auriga is doomed. That's an implicit fact of the world- It is going to freeze and die.

At some point, any game set on Auriga would need to at least open up the possibility of leaving.

doesn't a game of Endless Legends span hundreds of years? Unless the death of Auriga is imminent I don't see much of a problem.

The Victory structure you can make for each race has a variety of ways to avoid the frozen death of Auriga. Either in going to space, hibernating, or rekindling the planet.

Bare in mind, Auriga isn't a natural planet. She is a construct of the Endless, and is slowly dying. With advanced enough technology, you can save her.

Are you a bad enough dude to scour the Endless ruins, fight off their guardians, and recover the flame for Auriga's heart?

I wonder if endless legend 2 will play on another planet or still Auriga

I do love the vaulters. Shield and crossbow is a really cool weapon setup.

Considering Endless Space 2 takes place in the same galaxy, with the same races plus some more, I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, I made a Jumpchain some time about for Endless legend, if anyone wants to see it and rip it apart for ideas, you are welcome to it.

Honestly? Because I think Endless Legend didn't give enough character to the races. Some of them were interesting concepts, sure, but the actual character and feeling just wasn't there. They have similar paths to success, rather than really being able to succeed on a few victory paths like in Civ, and aren't as characterized or as customizable as Houses and Characters in CKII.

There isn't enough there to make a good RPG.

Yeah the vaulter marines looked bad ass. The way the dude on the far left is holding his though makes me question how they're actually meant to fire.
Broken Lords are pretty cool too.

So you didn't read any of the flavour text at all? Fuck, the faction quests are packed with interesting and flavourful stuff.

"Heroes try to help their faction discover a way to escape Auriga" sounds like a campaign right there.

Ideas for main quest...

>Broker a peace between two empires.

>Necrophages.

>Dogs in the Vineyard but as Cultist Chosen.

>Players are members of a minor faction/village in a region being fought over by major empires.

How would you make a system for Dust magic?

I did, but the actual gameplay didn't support the flavor. Like the Roving Clans just played like everyone else aside from sometimes moving around the map and getting a bunch of gold.

No clue, but an RPG where your primary currency is also the casting resource is a really fucking interesting idea. It'd be hard to make work though, balancing the advantages of magic with a players natural instinct to try and hard wealth for permanent progression.

Why does the gameplay in a 4x matter for making an RPG? All the fluff is there.

I'd also argue that the various factions in EL played more differently, in my experience, than the factions in any other 4x I've ever played, but that point is weirdly controversial.

You basically just pay for obscene advantages over everyone else. Just like real life.
It's mostly in mechanics, quest flavour text and diplomacy quotes.

Broken is an apt name for the race that can quite literally break the games balance in half if they survive the early game. Doubly so if you custom race them.

I just really like the idea of a race of once chivalrous and righteous knights turned into vampiric suits of living armor.
I've also never seen Dwarves done as tribal savages before.

I would play the everloving fuck out of it.

In terms of homebrew though, I would think a kind of OSR-ish, or at least kind of crunchy but relatively adaptable base system would work, with adding on all the of race specific or faction specific abilities.

I mean, I'd probably be doable in 5e with some decent work put in, but I bet we could make a better option.

Dude what, I found it to be one of the more asymmetric 4x I've played. There's no faction in Civ who can't declare wars or can't research technology.

The physical incarnation of your war economy.

Now I wanna play a Broken Lords merchant, Gwafa Hazid style.

They're an entire race of Grey Mann robots, down to being powered by money!

>tfw ES2 release in almost two weeks
I want it out already so I can have the soundtrack.

I've ripped off chunks of the lore, most notably porting out the Broken Lords, for the setting I'm working on. I love the setting but I don't think it'd port well to tabletop as is, a lot of interesting aspects like the seasons and the nature of dust seem like they'd be difficult to accommodate and do justice.

For those of you who played the early access, what do you think of Cultist Lords 2.0?

yeah dust seems to be the biggest road block. Imagine burning gp to cast a spell.

Enrico Dandolo. But I agree we need more assimetry in 4x games.

Bear in mind that there is a small amount of Dust scattered around everywhere. Most magic calls upon that, like Ardent mages flinging fire balls.

I mean, archers burn GP to shoot arrows.

Worst and most boring faction.

You appear to have mistaken the Vaulters for the Necrophages. A common mistake.

I prefer parasitic fantasy tyranids to plain, boring humans.

Gonna do ES once the full version of 2 drops?

Would like to ask how you'd handle Horatio desu.

Those plain, boring humans filled the role of dwarves in EL with bonus points for being isolationist technology hoarders that actually crash landed on the planet and racial quest involve finding the ship they crashed and fixing it to get off the planet. Depending on how ES is placed in the Endless games, they're also potentially the only race to escape Auriga.

More like technology fuckers. They're tech worshiping retards.

Wouldn't be the first group that Veeky Forums knows of that does that.

If we are talking about an RPG we are talking about at most the lifespan of a single player character at a time. Even then, a character's adventuring career is unlikely to last particularly long even ignoring the fact they will probably be killed in the process.

My point is it doesn't matter if the world is "doomed" on a span of thousands of years if you are only going to play out a few decades at most. At that point it's just a regular setting. The characters, civilizations etc could know that the end is approaching, even if not in their lifetimes, which could in turn inform some details about the setting and how the game is played. It doesn't actually cause any problems with your ability to play it though.

Thing is, a lot of players lose all motivation if they know their actions are truly meaningless.

Wouldn't be the first vidya ones either.

BoS are all jackasses too.

Well we're all gonna die sometime

>Conflating your real life nihilism with a game.

Kinda shot themselves in the foot focusing on the tech people were using and not the people. The Lyons brotherhood had the right idea.

Necrophages also make a good alternative for cannon fodder race; just imagine starship troopers bug-squashing action but in weird fantasy medieval times

>tfw forced to only be able to do autoresolve because going manual crashes the game with proliferator doomstacks

This, this, this.

Now, we just need to figure out the engine. I think we'll need to adress
1) Dust magic;
2) Arms race of iron-titanium-glassteel-adamantian-palladian-hyperium-mithrite-dust;
3) Assymetry of different species and different factions.

Whatcha suggest?

ROVING CLANS FOR BEST PEOPLE.
BE CRUSHED UNDER THE CARAPACE OF COMMERCE AND TAN LINES.

For all the flak F3 gets its BoS writing was still the best in the serie.

Remove roving jews as soon as you see them.

Fuck you and buy my warres.

Thread suggested Runequest, D&D (OSR or modded 5e). Would they do?

I fucking love playing Roving Clans so much, when I was new to the game and me and my friend were learning it together, I remember discovering mercenaries in the middle of a game with him and having a great laugh at him freaking out over Teamspeak about the neutral AI mounting an organized siege of all his cities.

Fuck you and have some war.

Posting favourite fan art.

I like the roboangel look the riftborn have going on with their leader and heroes.

The riftborn are very pretty.

They're also very big cunts.

how so?

I really liked the necrophage questline, the bits at the end where the POV character discovers that his entire race is nothing more than disposable cannon fodder and that despite everything he's done his race is doomed to revert back into mindless savages, and then just saying fuck it, going with it, and trying to hide enough eggs in the dark places of the world so that if augira ever lives again, his race will be able to grow again.

I know the vaulters getting to space is canon, but I'd like to think that the necrophage do finish their quest so that they are still waiting. I'm surprised they didnt make the necrophage and the cravers the same thing though.

It is very easy to see one being the biological prototype to the full cyborg latter.

Very aggressive and rng-reliant during early game, you either get a faction to leech or suffer an increasingly massive penalty.

If you manage to get a decent foothold early though, it quickly becomes very hard to stop you.

I like their concept and its current execution isn't that far off, I just wish they weren't as reliant on other factions being nearby for you to win.

All it would really take is a multi-genre system that can also handle a bit of dungeon delving. True20, Open Legend, that W.O.I.N. system from the EnWorld guys, and GURPS all spring to mind.

I've waited 1000 years to use this image

Fun fact: You can find the planet Auriga in Endless Space 2, but it's just a dead, frozen ball of shit.

I haven't figured out if there's any way to restore it to life because I've been holding off on playing a lot until it gets out of early access, but it would be neat if there was.

You can also find it in Endless Space 1.

I played a game just yesterday on a tiny map, and accidentally won an economic victory before I could win an expansion victory.
True hell.

No idea what that is, OP. And honestly I don't care. Videogames are for losers.

Stop playing them. Veeky Forums does not play videogames unless its blood bowl

This is not the first time we have this thread. I believe we once came to the conclusion that the players should be hired mercs for one of the factions you can play, doing the same kind of jobs your heroes in the game do: Track through the wilderness, negotiate or fight with the neutral factions, do some of the faction specific quests. As the game goes on and the faction the players work for gets stronger and bigger, conflict with the other factions should get more important.

Vermintide sold and reviewed well.

>did you mean: Codex Alera

It's got some cool unique bonuses as well, if you research the tech to colonise it.
Agreed, user. Players are "heroes" in game terms.
Rogue Chosen, Necrophages, Morgawr and Vaulters are all basically canonical (as much as anything can be canon).

So, stat up each "race" as well as minor faction species such as Eyeless Ones, Kazanji and SoM. Then have players pick a class.

You can then have a party consisting of a morgawr, a BL, a Phage and a rogue Chosen. All the cool hybrid-empire-assimilation stuff. Give each playable race unique abilities (or hell, race-classes) and you've got a baseline.

I think race=class would work well, even if it looks kinda restrictive, but the races would keep their flavor that way.

Did they make space combat more interesting in ES2? The 3 card draw cutscene shit from the first game was a tremendous turnoff.

Endless Legend has a shit hero system though

This

Fucking unengaging as hell

There is no need to emulate it.

Well you don't need to restrict skills or weapon proficiencies too much.

Anyone can use a sword/spear/sling/bow/wand/staff if they take a proficiency. Anyone can wear armour (if they find stuff in their size). Anyone can grapple or lockpick or sneak. That's universal Stuff Wot The PCs Do.

Then, diversify them. Necrophages look horrifying, are mostly venom, also they eat corpses. Broken Lords eat money and are very hard to kill because they don't have organs. Morgawr get exclusive access to telepathy. Kazanji fucking FLY and eat Dust. Jotus are stupid perceptive, have two heads and are never fully asleep.

Basically, classes can mostly be built any way you like, but ones with strong inherent powers (like telepathy) will either get less role flexibility (forced to level telepathy) or other drawbacks (dries out on land).

>Like the Roving Clans just played like everyone else
Except they can't declare war. At all. Which you would have noticed if you had actually played the game instead of shitposting about it.

And that they alone could lock an entire faction out of the market by paying a sum of influence, which they could use as a bargaining chip to extort resources/techs.

No two factions in EL are intended to play the same, and that's one of the main appeals of the game.

As a bonus you can use the game to generate the campaign map and history too!

To them, your entire reality is a cancer that is slowly but surely ruining their home reality. Isolationist turbonazis would be a better term than cunt though I think.

No one wants a 1:1 sytem for emulating Endless Legend. Its mostly for the lore and races of Auriga.

What races should the players be able to choose?

I first interpreted those tusks as thin, noodly arms.

All the major races, and perhaps even some minor races

Humans (Roving Clans, Vaulters, Sisters of Mercy, Dorgeshi)
Elves
Broken
Drakken
The Forgotten
Bos
Delvers
Gauran
Hurnas

Are Ardent Mages a separate race?

>Are Ardent Mages a separate race?
Depends, are we doing a class based game? Because I can see some race-as-class stuff working for this system/setting.

How would that work with the Necrophages or Morgawr?
They don't exactly seem cooperative.

I homebrewed a not!ardent mage class for DD5E going off monk. the gimmick was that a special resource was generated each time nonperiodic damage was taken. This resource could then be spent to power a variety of abilities, most of them offensive. Could try to paste it if anyone's interested.

For the record, I don't think D&D is an especially good system for an EL ttrpg, but it's something to consider.

What, no Allayi/shifters?

Like another user already said: even in-game, necrophage or morgwr heroes going rogue and merc isn't unheard of

Dust. Dust is basically in-lore handwavium, and all the recruitable necrophage heroes were uplifted by it, and then given a backstory that would make their being recruited by other factions possible.

We should probably wait until after we have the mechanics set in stone before worrying about the allayi and their seasons shenanigans

One idea I just had for a campaign : Winter had just set in, and the players are tasked to figure out if it's THE last winter, trying to get intel from all the factions and digging in ancient ruins in search of answers.