So how would you rate this game? What went wrong and what went right? What about components quality...

So how would you rate this game? What went wrong and what went right? What about components quality? Is it overall better than the Dice Masters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3gPu9pp2WOM
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-destiny/
dm.retrobox.eu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No idea what this game is or how it works or what kinds or mechanics it has aside from using dice.

Can you tell me more?

It looks like a Fantasy Flight lcg.

I've never seen this specific one but the general criticisms are too many awkward moving parts in the name of thematics, annoying vocabulary (though I don't see anything awful in this image) and no-one likes custom dice.

FFG makes pretty good video tutorials for its games
youtube.com/watch?v=3gPu9pp2WOM
also free rules here
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-destiny/

>It looks like a Fantasy Flight lcg
actually it's a collectible game with decks, boosters etc.

It's a fun game. The turnouts at shops around me is pretty large for a new game.

That being said, there are definitely cards that feel broken, especially with the next block coming out today. Part of the original game is the mitigation power you have against your opponent's dice, and with Force Speed, Maz, Fast Hands, and some ambush cards you can roll and resolve dice immediately, making it too fast for mitigation cards to be used.

I have a feeling the third block is going to slow the game down somehow, because right now there's no room for slow buildup, the only good decks are bursty rush decks.

Also the supply for it sucks big fat donkey balls. Shops order boxes for preorder and only get half of what they want. You'd think a company like FFG could actually meet demand, especially on a second block...

I'm not much into Star Wars but if this game had been made with other IP i would consider it.
Dice isn't bad but it's wizkids so it's doomed to have a painful death sooner or later.

>it's wizkids so it's doomed to have a painful death sooner or later
I still miss it

It was fun enough when I played it and I'd like to try a full game and actual deck building, but in the end, having to roll dice sometimes makes the game feel too random and less strategic. I watched my buddy play his first game of it and literally never roll attacks for turn after turn.

I considered picking this up for a game to teach at the school I work at (5th/6th graders) when I saw the Kylo Ren starters at my LFGS

Nope, this one's from Fantasy Flight. I too, miss pocketmodels.

>Nope, this one's from Fantasy Flight
He meant that Dice Masters are wizkids game

OooOoooo.
Is DM still a thing? I've got some and I never see any new sets come out anymore.

They bungled their initial supply and basically killed their community.

How is wizkids not out of business?

Welp, it's a dead game in my area but can't say anything more desu. I saw they recently released a new set tho

Maybe I'm the only retard left in this site who still cares about dice masters but wizkids still makes new sets and is progressing into make the game something better.
This doesn't means they don't make retarded decisions every often but at least there's intentions...

Sell me this fuckin game mate. I bought a single booster and dice seem to be good quality but cards inside the booster were bended like my penis

FFG has a massive dice problem. They need help, it's not healthy at this point

The dice aren't the trouble, we can agree on that. About the cards it depends if the edition. The first cards were all shitty, more recent editions are getting more thick cards and better quality of components (they still bend tho but at least not so much like in the first editions)

The best editions overall are the d&d editions followed by TMNT heroes in a half shell

>it's a card game
>box is full of tokens and dice and counters

Anything is better than dicemasters, the game is inherently flawed and its only good cards are either chases, or designed accidentally.

Been playing dice masters since AvX. I dropped heroclix for it. Way easier to collect. If you buy a whole booster box you will get most of the collection in one go. My favorite sets so far have been the D&D ones, mainly because I'm a massive D&D fag and all the other local players only play the marvel and dc sets.
I usually run 3 main teams;

Kobold - Greater Humanoid
Stirge - Epic Beast
Mindless Ones - Unseeing Gaze
Goblin - Lesser Humanoid
Wererat - Lesser Lycanthrope
Lantern Ring - Limited Only By Imagination
Professor X - Recruiting Young Mutants
Get Lantern Ring out. Get at least 1 of each swarm character and maybe a wererat out. Draw and roll a fuck ton of dice. Try to reroll for single and double fist energy. Attack with 4 characters and win.

Hellhound - Lesser Fiend
Glabrezu - Minion Fiend
Sangan - Sacrificial Fiend
Erinyes - Paragon Fiend
Pit Fiend - Greater Fiend
Balor - Lesser Fiend
Orcus - Demon Lord of Undeath
Get Hellhound (fiends -1 cost buy and field). Get Glabrezu (fiends -1 cost to buy, stacks with hound). Buy Orcus for 5 instead of 7, way easier early/mid game. Attacking or blocking with Orcus can get you an unpurchased fiend die for fielded for free (Balors!). Pit Fiend and Hellhound will make fielding cost nothing. Erinyes and Sangan will make cycling faster.

(cont.)

Donatello - Notice Me!
Leonardo - Fearless Leader
Raphael - Raph
Michelangelo - Mikey
April - No Mere Damsel
Metalhead - Dissociative Identity
Splinter - Ninja Master
The 4 turtles and metalhead have the shell symbol on their cards. April and each of the 4 turtles make other characters with the shell symbol cost 1 less to buy. Start with april and get enough turtles to buy 1 or 2 metalheads as soon as you can and maybe a splinter if you have extra energy before you can win. When metalhead attacks all other shell characters are unblockable, get enough turtles in the field with at least 1 metalhead and win.

Aquaman - Arthur Curry
Stargirl - DC Bombshell
Wonder Woman - Champion of Themyscira
Cyborg - Exceptionally Gifted
Batman - World's Greatest Detective
Firestorm - Elemental Fury
Superman - Man of Tomorrow
Aquaman, JL characters cost 1 less to buy. Wonder Woman, JL characters cost 1 less to field. If a JL character fielded while stargirl is in the field they both go up 1 level. While Cyborg and Batman are in the field if any other JL characters get KO'd the opponent takes 1 damage (stacks with each other and is per KO'd character). Superman gets +1/+1 for each other JL character. Firestorm is just there. Hopefully another good JL character will come out of the next set.

I've always seen it as something made for kids between 9-13, based on how simple the design of it is. Plus, I've always had an easy time teaching kids in that age range how to play the game, and they pick up on it easier than say, MtG.

do you play tourneys? I thought you couldn't mix sets when playing because of different card text or whatever.

honestly I don't know why I still collect these things. I mean yeah the dice are cute but the game has so many issues to handle and wizkids is many things but competent isn't one of those.

i still would pay for the D&D editions. they seem to receive more love than the usual release of DC/Marvel.

It's a solid 7. But that's because there are only 2 ways to win and few viable decks that play into those strategies right now.

The cards, dice, and packaging are all top quality. I only wish the dice were standard sized and not so large.

I played Dicemasters up until Deadpool. This is better for the same reasons I think it is better than MtG:

Games are neither too long or two short. 10-15 minutes if both players are on top of it.

You are actually playing against your opponent as opposed to just playing your deck. You each get one action at a time which means you have to plan ahead while still being flexible enough to respond.

The balance is good, as long as you are only playing toward a single victory condition. Attempting to play a middle of the road deck that can both mill and damage is a loser against a competent player with a single strategy deck.

The cons are storage of the dice is a bitch as there are no good options yet due to the odd size.

The other con is that FFG under produced the first set, so boosters are hard to come by and go for 5-10 times MSRP. It also looks like they did the same with the Spirit of Rebellion kit.

This hampered early growth as players just couldn't get cards to play with.

The FFG Star Wars RPG has custom dice and it's an excellent RPG. One of the best systems ever. What is your problem with custom dice and don't tell me it's limited to only this game, because that is just being cheap.

With so many different sets how the fuck deckbuilding looks like?

there's 17 sets available right now (couting things like team packs, think they are like mini-expansions)

deck building is quite simple,
you need to pick 8 cards for your main team, and assign max 20 dice among those 8 cards you will be using, then you need to have 2 basic action cards (think they are spells) with 3 dice each.

and there you have it.

Can I mix cards of different sets?

yes you can. even more is encouraged to do so.
now there's some clear synergy between sets and some mechanics only see play in draft. for example in D&D sets there's the whole "experience" thing on adventurers cards, equipment and also dragon breath weapon. things you don't see in either DC or Marvel (or in TMNT and YGO [worst set by far])

Okay, thanks. Let me use you one more time. Let's say I would like to give it a try and stick with DC or DnD. Would Justice League+World’s Finest / Battle for Faerûn+Faerûn Under Siege starter sets be a good base for two balanced and decent decks? Also is there any alive web dice masters community?

okay before telling you something. if you're planning to go casual then go ahead and pick Justice league/Battle for Faerun packs because in july if I remember well rotation will happen and most of the early stuff of Dice Masters will be moved to "golden age", kind like Modern is for MTG.

>Would Justice League+World’s Finest / Battle for Faerûn+Faerûn Under Siege starter sets be a good base for two balanced and decent decks?
balanced between each other maybe, decent like competitive scene? eh...
the thing is that those packs you mention has some really good character cards and more importantly Basic Actions (which is mainly the only reason why people buy these things, because nowhere else you will find the so needed actions cards). many agree that D&D has very good cards for basic/introductory packs.

if you want some more variation, you would be ok buying bulk, I mean you can find loads of cards and dice for really damn cheap, just don't try to go for those SR/chases. they are not needed but sure they are annoying.

>Also is there any alive web dice masters community?
facebook, the reserve pool forums mostly. also this for a data base.
dm.retrobox.eu/