Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How can we make melee dual wielding great again? Even Path of War and Spheres of Might don't do much to make melee dual wielding that good.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Murderous Crow
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/murder-crow/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How can we make melee dual wielding great again?
By playing a different game.

Enough with the fucking animes.

How do you know Wubu's rationale for sure, sour grape kitsune user?

Dual Wielding is pretty good if you get the dex to damage feat, and just use one of the path of war stances that gives you 1d6 damage.

You could even go strength based by taking up the Dervish Defender Warder archetype. That I believe doesn't require any dexterity for you to have on yourself.

Dual Wielding was even more potent in 3.5, when you could get dragonfire inspiration up and set it up so that it would use Sonic or Acid damage instead of the highly resistible fire damage.

It does require some work to do though, but it is pretty potent and a good way to get more reliable damage than a two-hander. Because you don't need to set your attack on fire to get damage bonuses. It is especially good in pathfinder where the maximum number that you can power attack is locked for some fucking reason.

Reminder that Disk is a hack who recycles characters and abuses the trust of the ReviewAnon name to build unearned hype for his characters and those of his friends.

Still needs full attacks to do correctly so it's far less mobile than other PoW

Well, problems with dual-wielding include the upkeep on two weapons, the attack penalty making the extra attacks unreliable, the difficulties overcoming DR, and the massive character investment required to make the most of it. While it's possible to do some pretty cool things with it, two-hander builds tend to work better for less.

I don't, but I've a decent working theory. It's like how I suspect that SotJR was picked to satisfy memes, FotJR was picked based on the GM knowing certain people to be good players through personal experience, and LoBaF was picked based on some hidden theme the GM hadn't made public.

It just raises too many questions to think that two-thirds of those picked for Blingmaker were *coincidentally* those who'd been hyped the hardest and flirting the most in the threads.

all female players are thots

Judging from Michael Sayre/Ssalarn's posts in the official Spheres of Might forum, it seems that the developers of Spheres of Might will be shifting away from martial focus as a mechanic entirely, which also means removing the mechanics regarding dedicating, expending, and regaining focus.

Martial focus was one of the major balancing points of Spheres of Might, to the point wherein entire builds revolved around rapidly expending and gaining martial focus, such as Alchemy bombing builds, Berserking Brutal Strike builds, and Sniping deadly shot builds.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

rofl, ok, now we've gone full /x/

and there's nothing wrong with recycling characters

Most female players who you KNOW are female are thots*

So, Harbinger? Lategame it can move and full attack, although lack of feats makes for a rather restricted build.

What's LoBaF's theme?

What's OverLewd's theme?

>there's nothing wrong with recycling characters
nice meme

>and there's nothing wrong with recycling characters

Next you're going to say there's nothing wrong with making characters inspired by characters from other media

All women are thots, user.

There's literally not a problem with recycling characters, if you thought they were good, why trash them? Use them again, it seriously doesn't matter if they were an app to another campaign first

And ya'll are after Disk, but Broodie did the same shit with Rinka in RotJR and Dragons2 and none of you are bitching about them.

Ya'll are autistic.

I disagree!

Stories from your games!
Or summaries, even?
Please?
Anyone?

Can't be the only one who plays Pathfinder here.

I'm still trying to work that first one out. Youthful optimism, perhaps. Or maybe something like the GM's idea of how certain PCs would play off certain NPCs. The group dynamic looks too wonky for me to say it's because they make sense as a team.

As for Overlewd, I'm assuming that there's far less at play there. Sleep is probably just going to choose characters who are actually villainous rather than just "tee hee I'm a bad girl" or "I will crush Britannia!"

You could get a race with some sort of SLA that would make you be able to get Arcane Strike on your character. This in itself does force you to use entirely strikes on it own.

I think Two-Weapon builds are pretty balanced, as Path of War's Two-Handed stuff is pretty overwhelmingly strong. Especially at earlier levels where they can easily one shot things. Granted, so could a barbarian but the barbarian's one-shot staying power wanes.

I do think you and have a good point though. Two-Weapon is pretty hard to balance around, my fix is to just be able to enchant two smaller weapons at the same time. You can enchant two light weapons at the same time with the same bonuses for each weapon and have it cost half for each. Thus making it cost the same amount a two-handed weapon.

My character is getting eaten alive by that daemon with mouth-sores all over her body, and there's nothing the DM or players can do about it!

Inspired by? No.
Direct copypastes of? Yes.
That's why I feel Slow ought to rein in his GoT boner, his characters are more fun when they're not clearly Duncan the Tall/Syrio Forel.

That's because you're a thirstlord.

Did Disk drop Viviana in favor of Corwin because he realized that Valeriya covered the same build-idea only with a much better character attached? Is that why Corwin steps on Valeriya's toes so hard?

hot

Oh boy we're back to RotJR hate

I can't wait for Roryanon to jump in with his totally hilarious opinion about how he hates FotJR and then we can all tell him to fuck off

/pfg/ is exciting and not predictable!

We almost got into a fight with a traveling band of paladins when they mistook my ethermancer for his batshit crazy cultist brother.

I can promise you I am very satiated.

>satiated
ERPing with a bunch of dudes pretending to be girls will do that.

There's an user who directly ripped off a fighting game character and nobody calls his stuff shit for it.

Or the people who flirt in threads are the ones most excited for the game, which means they're also the ones who spent the most time polishing their apps.

You're looking for something that doesn't exist user!

There is no conspiracy, the failure was inside you all along!

Which apps of Overlewd do you think are actually villainous?

Would it? Maybe I'll try it sometime for variety since you recommend it so.

Lazythrone continues to be going at an easy pace and is fun! They party is all humans! Two psionics, a divine, and an arcane caster! No fullcasters, two full-BABs!

Can we rate the villainy of all the apps?

There's a difference between "this character is not shit" and "this character is amazing."

>not ripping off three characters from other media, and blending them to get something """original"""

Appearance-wise, sure, but Chaika-user proceeded to make the actual character completely different.

You can take appearances without taking any actual concepts from a pre-existing character.

>Is that why Corwin steps on Valeriya's toes so hard?
How exactly?

Depends on what replaces it. They are going to need to change things quite a bit without that mechanic but I wasn't really that fond of it in the first place. Cautious optimism, I guess?

If they're going to make a change that big, I also hope they do include some more noncombat talents and such. Right now I am thinking a SoM martial would be a lot more fun to build and fight with than a regular one but they're on similar grounds utility-wise aside from the SoM martial having a lot more skill ranks, which wasn't enough to save the rogue.

That dude has a hard life, do we need to make it worse?

I too am curious about this Please user, tell me how the 2handed Bard intrudes on the twf Warder.

Who?

You mean there's middle ground? That can't be right, /pfg/ wouldn't just lie to me like that.

Chiundra, Ecaterina, and Calesedria are the most unapologetically evil.

Arguably Umbranae, but she's more "I'll show them all!" than "I'm evil and loving it."

4916 looks evil, but she's built her app around lewds and jokes. Squid-man is similarly based on "tentacles lol" and "redheads lol."

Kent is a good villain, but I think he'll probably lose the stomach for it and decide that being good feels too good to actually be evil.

Almost everybody else is just "I'm evil because of my circumstances" or "I'm evil just as a means to an end."

1d3+int damage at level 11

Kent's "how did it come to this" short story was fantastic, I'd read a novel about this guy bumbling around being an evil dumbass with a heart of gold. His character development has great potential. especially if him turning more erinyes also turns him into a girl

Literally none of them are as evil as Falafel. DHB outdid the lot of them.

Was never a fan of it, made them feel too much like PoW. Hopefully they allow stuff to just work, no need for focus. Also hoping they find some sort of balance with fewer massive damage combos and maybe some better utility. And moving away from being anime as fuck, but that ain't gonna happen

The problem as I see it isn't who's villainous and who isn't. It's that most players who aren't playing babby's first D&D game in high school are probably going to default to heroic actions, if only out of self-interest.

The only difference will be they're defending the downtrodden kobolds and embattled orcs from wily peasants and marauding knights rather than the other way around.

Falafel is too evil for a PC though.

I think LoBaF's picks aren't based on a theme but were chosen based on how likely they seemed to chase plot threads and push for adventure instead of sitting around comfy. A "meta" theme rather than a characterization.

What advice would you have for a GM who has years of experience GMing for people sitting around a table, but has never GM'd for people online before? I'm interested in getting into Roll20, but I've always been more of a GM than a player.

Falafel's not the kind of evil that would be a long-term, campaign-shaping villain though. He's spooky, and he's petty, but nihilism doesn't work as a good driving motivation outside of a Final Fantasy game.

Falafel is a horror story character. Overlewd is pitched more like a conquest story. He'd be a starter ally who turns on the party (or more likely who the party backstabs), at best.

>implying
He makes a fine PC. He just is an omnicidal nihilist, but is enough of a coward to not fuck over allies. It specifically calls that out in his back story.

Who the fuck is Falafel?

its actually easier to GM through roll20 than at a table. a LOAD easier dealing with maps for one. You will have fun.

archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Murderous Crow

>You conjure a supernaturally vicious and clever crow to watch over you on the battlefield. Choose one of the following templates; the crow has that template and this spell gains the descriptor listed in parentheses: celestial (good), entropic (chaotic), fiendish (evil), or resolute (lawful). In addition to its normal abilities, the crow gains the Improved Steal feat as a bonus feat and gains an eye rake attack. If both of its claw attacks hit the same living foe in a single round, that foe must succeed at a DC 13 Reflex save or be blinded as the bird scratches and tears at the foe’s eyes. The blindness lasts for 1d4 days or until healed with remove blindness.

Can someone explain to me how this spell works? Where am I getting the stats for this thing?

Is it even any good?

Falafel's entire goal was to burn an empire to the ground. That seems pretty campaign shaping. His motivation is just severe mental illness.

DHB's app for Hell's Vengeance, and one of the best characters to come out of any /pfg/ game.

its a decently fine spell. You need the stats for a crow and add the template you want for it.

But is being "I'm evil and loving it!" a better villain than "just means to an end"? What if the latter's end never comes, and they're left only with their deeds and their broken sense of right?

You use the bestiary stats, like every other summon spell?

Little too sympathetic, too much chance they'll back it down and stop being evil.

How do maps work with Roll20? I'm used to using a combination of description and a whiteboard, and I'm worried that I'll be required to have more exacting, pre-made maps structured if I want to use Roll20.

DHB's attempt to write an evil character. He was a extremely hardcore nihilist obsessed with the idea of destroying and corrupting legacies through slowly working his way into people's lives and having them give him things to destroy.

I have no idea what you're talking about, man.

That's why Falafel is good, no chance he is going to stop being evil. He's not even normal evil and loving it. He just has a huge hard on for ruining lives.

The only crow I'm finding in the bestiary is this one, which is clearly not right:
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/murder-crow/

I'm assuming I'd just apply the template to raven stats?

Does anyone have the final book of the Hells Vengeance Adventure path? It is not in the links at the top of the general.

>Please user, tell me how the 2handed Bard intrudes on the twf Warder.
For one she's also a beguiler with as an Int based caster|initiator, so she was obviously intended to fill a secondary roll as skill monkey. Bard has all sorts of options like bardic knowledge to step all over that role. The other obvious one is story-wise: In the general it was well known that Valeriya was going with the *Ameiko's best friend* as a central aspect of her character, but Corwin forces her to shoehorn a third-wheel into that relationship.

How can I play a miqo'te scholar in Pathfinder and not suck?

Ancient elf who jacks off onto people's stuff.

Catfolk bard.

That statement is a paradox.

Are any of the PFS modulo thingies any good?

I wonder how much success it'd have if I prepared a campaign and just PMed people around /pfg/, asking them all if they could participate with a specific rejected app I liked.

That's pretty weak, user. It's not like somebody is allowed to call "dibs on skills and this campaign trait".

The small advantage of FotJR: at least Rub-a-Dub-Dub Three Dicks In Shayliss isn't barging in on peoples' backstories. That I know of.

Better just advertise as "a game with DHB in it". You'll get people for the novelty of playing with him alone.

If the fucking elf is so good why didn't he get in? Stupid fucks.

No.

It helps to set them up ahead of time, but just tossing up basic stuff is pretty easy. My biggest issue is that players are heavily reliant on the DM to create tokens for them and resize if needed. Which means you have to stop and place summons if those end up being a thing, or the barbarian gets enlarged, etc.

A few of them are.

Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment feels like it could have come directly from Planescape.

Severing Ties encourages the PCs to act like drunken hooligans.

Weapon in the Rift is "Holy Magitech vs. Demons" and is pretty damn challenging.

Kirin and Kraken has a ridiculously fun final boss.

Well I mean not just Falafel. I don't have a list or anything but I can vaguely recall some apps in the past I really liked that didn't end up making it into a game, I wonder how much people could be coerced into playing their old rejects.

I think the DM publicly stated that it was the wrong type of evil. They were going for exploitation film or something?

Would trying to use Roll20 without using the map system be a waste of time? Because even as a player, to me that stuff starts to feel too much like a video game.

I would like to endorse the Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment.

I was shocked and awed to see that a Pathfinder Society scenario, of all things, was of startlingly high-quality. I would recommend it to everyone.

It is a horror/mystery-focused adventure with a diplomacy- and combat-grounded finale, and it handles such splendidly. It is a pleasantly Planescape-like scenario set entirely within a mystical demiplane, revolving around themes of faith, heresy, and demonology.

I like how the adventure progresses in stages. First, the party figures out that something is wrong.
Second, the party figures out what is wrong.
Third, the party convinces everyone else what is wrong.
Fourth, the showdown.

The Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment is pleasantly well-structured, although it could use some polish in certain areas, like unclear wording on the haunt and some rather high static DCs for low-level adventurers.

If I want to build a monk made for trip, what do I need a part from Combat Expertise, Imp Trip, Greater Trip and Ki throw? Take in mind I want to trip anything trippable.

Featless TWF should work like current feat-powered TWF. It's enough of a tradeoff to use as-is. The TWF feat should then have actual benefit. Simple shit like this really.

>Map system feels too much like a videogame
What? Vidya with grid positioning have become steadily rarer over time.

What would a game be like if the core players were Vult, DHB, and 2hu?

>For one she's also a beguiler with as an Int based caster|initiator, so she was obviously intended to fill a secondary roll as skill monkey.

Ah yes, a Cha 10 Beguiler without Student of Philos, is certainly the only skill monkey the party needs. That class is well known for having both Knowledge and Social skills.

> In the general it was well known that Valeriya was going with the *Ameiko's best friend*

Of course, because everyone knows you can't be friends with multiple people. Friendship is a monogamous relationship! Also, there's no way Val and Corwin could have been friends with each other, strengthening both of their connections with the stories. No way. Not happening.

All of this all hinges on the supposition that Disk used Discord Cabal Meme Magic to manipulate SillyMe to get into the game with another specific person, solely for the purpose of fucking them over.

Damn SaltAnon, your analysis definitely holds up to scrutiny, and is in no way a thinly veiled attempt to bitch about a player who got in a game you didn't! You're truly a master detective!

user, it's motherfucking six player gestalt.

You can't NOT step on another's toes mechanically. They had three people step forward to pick a damn lock.

You can just use the chat and dice roller if you want. Not a fan of the chat myself, tend to use irc for that. Maybe just put character portraits and a location/scenery art up instead of the map.

>2hu is a decent team player but constantly tries to grab for every +1 he can get. Tries to tell other players advice on their characters. Likely to clash with both Vult and the GM.
>DHB takes meticulous notes and handles all the logistics. Plays someone who doesn't make waves, but is outwardly memeworthy and weird. GM's favorite purely because he's so polite.
>Vult plays an ERP waifu, acts like a massive prima donna, and shit-talks everyone else behind their backs. Ends up on the GM's shit list.

Funny how that seems to have happened with every gestalt game. That exact situation happened to both RotJR teams, and nearly everyone in WotR is some kind of face, so we're all sweet-talking every NPC we come across.