Which edition has the most competent tarrasque?

Which edition has the most competent tarrasque?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As with everything competent in D&D, 4e takes the cake.

But it has no thumbs, how can it take a cake?

the same way my dog does, only with more collateral damage.

Why do you say that? What does the 4e version of the tarrasque have going for it besides that 30-square (which is, what, 150 foot?) "you fly super slow and can't fly higher than it can reach" aura?

Immune to almost all conditions
Damage from attacks cannot be reduced in any way
Strong place in the lore

4e has the most nonsensical tarrasque.

The 4e tarrasque doesn't have any special defenses against magic though. That's a big negative.

Depends on what You mean by competent.
D20 modern's Tarrasque is totally unkillable. But it's trapped on the moon

>Immutable

Yes it does.

Considering its strength score and the weak gravity of the moon, I'm almost certain that it could succesfully jump off the moon, and then fall over the course of several months back to Earth, surviving both re-entry and impact.

The edition with the best DM at the table, or the worst DM with a terrasque hard-on.

Yeesh, I forgot how good 4E monster designs could be.

It's a shame there's no information for its capabilities other than beating things to death though. Can it knock down a castle wall on its way to kill you? Well, of course it can, it's the goddamned tarrasque, but there's no rules in there for how quickly or how big of a wall or how to handle any other situation.

>+31 bonus on Strength checks

If you have tarrasque, you don't know, if you already know, you need not tarrasque

Does Earthbinding Aura pull walls down?

Does Elder of Annihilation help at all when breaking things that aren't characters?

Walls aren't flying creatures.

No reason why Elder of Annihilation wouldn't work on objects.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were rulings for these things in the book?

Not just so games would be consistent game to game, but also because it'd be a good source of ideas for the DM to figure out what else they can do with a tarasque?

>Wouldn't it be nice if there were rulings for these things in the book?

Do you need a book to tell you that walls aren't flying creatures?

Ahem.

Different game.

Perhaps not really all that different?
media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane Shift Zendikar.pdf

It can still be blinded, pushed, pulled, slid, made vulnerable, affected by conjurations and zones, and probably a lot of other stuff I'm not thinking of right now. Plus most spells in 4e are just refluffed attacks, so it just takes those normally. It doesn't even have the thing it has in other editions where it reflects spells. It makes a disappointing fight for any party within the narrow range of levels that can actually hit its defenses.

>earthbinding
>"The DM says "Nuh uh" when you try to fly around and shoot the tarrasque.

Because bombarding the Tarrasque with Fireballs until it reaches 0 HP is the pinnacle of combat.
I still don't get why that doesn't happen in 5E. Do they just assume the party casters are going to run out of AoEs before Fly ends?
Can the Tarrasque do a flying super-leap and snatch a flying wizard out of the air?
I would totally be up for it having some sort of ranged attack, even if it was something stupid like eye beams.

Right, I'm dumb at 2AM, I forgot that it's immune to fire. Edvard's tentacles or whatever, I don't give a fuck.

5e tarrasque is immune to fire IIRC.

But isn't immune to acid. So yeah, flying wizard with acid splash is going to just kite it to death.

With all spells being attacks, it has resist 10 to all damage.

Kind of a drop in the bucket for what most adventurers can put out though.

Fuck it, the next time I put the Tarrasque in the game, I'm giving that fucker eye beams. There's a petty/malicious enough deity in the setting to justify it.

>setting with a few island countries
>one country is just a slumbering tarrasque
>BBEG wants to wake it up to start a war no one else can win

Thoughts?

>I would totally be up for it having some sort of ranged attack, even if it was something stupid like eye beams.

Behold the one true Tarrasque.

>the tarrasque ate a nuclear powerplant

>homebrew setting
>using generic DnD monsters

A common "houserule" is remembering to treat boulders as improvised thrown weapons. Considering a tarrasque can wield weapons of colossal size, a boulder treated as an improvised club ends up dealing 4d6 damage. The main issue is that by RAW, the boulders only have a maximum range of 50ft, because improvised weapons don't have their range increased by size or any other factor.

But, comparing the Tarrasque to Giants, who do seem to have varying ranges for throwing stones depending on size and strength, it should be fair to assume a range increment of at least 60ft (max 300) wouldn't be obscene for a colossal creature that is seventy feet long itself, but to extrapolate a range comparable to giants and factoring that the tarrasque is several times larger and much stronger than even the largest giants, but penalizing it for not having a culture with rock throwing near its core, a range increment anywhere between 100-300ft (maximum 500-1500ft) for any thrown boulders from the tarrasque would still be reasonable.

>Wizard attempts to kill Tarrasque by opening a portal to the elemental plane of LASERS inside it's stomach
>All this does is let it shoot lasersl

You guys prefer 4E or 5E?

Both are a little underwhelming, but the 5e tarrasque does feel a bit more dynamic with its legendary actions.

The 5e tarrasque is also fucked by flyers.

And the 4e tarrasque has its own gimmicks.

The one with the scorpion stinger and the lions face.

This is very clearly a Flying Creature, by virtue of being a creature and havin flying. So it's consistent with the rules.
A regular wall is neither flying, nor a creature, so everything checks out.

Or yyou know, throw big things at the wizard.
A rock bigger than a medium sized creature does about 4d10 damage if thrown I think.