>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This galaxy is OURS.
youtube.com/watch?v=1_wXCBDiLEA[Embed]

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aVr6T1VPK58
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Repostan due to end of thread. Anyone got any tips on painting these Elysians? Magically finding it harder to paint than any of my other guys. Wash just makes him look dirty, have been using thin paint almost all of the time, perhaps too thin... spent quite a lot of time on this guy and am getting nowhere. Tempted to try outlining everything in black or some other crazy things I've never tried before to see how it looks.

bumping with my deathcult assasin, the white and the metals came out nice so far, but i need a colour for the holsters and straps. i don't want to use black or grey, maybe a very dark blue would be nice or a jade color to go with the nihilak effect. suggestions /wip? the tiles on the base are going to be dark green

also, my camara does not like all this white

Looks awful.
Are you even priming them?
The cloth looks really streaky, you need a stronger colour under it, something like Rakarth flesh maybe.
The grey looks really thick and unshaded.
It's odd, your commisar doesn't actually look that bad, what do you think you're doing differently

Also why is there a wolf in a dress next to them?

>the cloths needs a base of a similiar colour, using that light color on black is a bad choice
>the skin is too thick, those can really look awful if the paint is not well applied, i suggest thinning the paint down more than usual and applying 3-4 layers for the base
>the metals are a bit sloppy, and not shaded, i could suggest using a different colour for the main gun's body and keep the metallics for barrels and so forth?
>shade the thing and do some lights
>the commissar is neatly painted shade&light the red and blue parts tho
>for the elysian visors, going all black could be a bit dull, maybe you could try and paint them like lenses like pic related (just going on a black to light gray scale)

Convince me to work on my Pathfinders instead of getting drunk and playing Mario Kart

do it you bitch

Wolf was for a post elsewhere. Couldn't be bothered to take another pic.

Yeah of course I'm priming them, sadly only have black primer for now. Want to upgrade to white or something. Thinking of stripping off the paint somehow and trying again because it feels like nothing is working. I've got guys painted better than that commissar who I have spent less time trying to paint than this Elysian, it's weird.

I'm not even doing anything differently is the thing, not until now where I'm trying everything I can to try and make this work. I'm not sure what's going wrong desu, was hoping someone here could tell me.

So thiccer on the cloth parts, thinner on the grey parts which I am pretty sure I'm going thin on as it is... what about the armour? Is that okay?

Im repainting my grey knights... Main forces will be mainly red like the terminator (left) and interceptor (right). Purifiers will stay more silver (middle).

Is that why the cloth is going so wrong? Should I start again or paint over it or what?

Skin is too thick? You mean on the face? I barely used any paint there haha.

The gun part I'm not too worried about at the moment, I can fix that later and try out different colours. Not focused on the body of it much at all beyond a base metal colour.

Been trying to shade it a bit and all of that. Is difficult, not working at all. Will try a different visor colour though, thanks.

Commissar was easy mode compared to this.

How could one go about making a custom sniper rifle for a Kroot character? I have some pulse rifles, random doodads and some pathfinder ion rifles to use. anyone have any ideas before I start chopping shit up?

>Is that why the cloth is going so wrong? Should I start again or paint over it or what?
Yeah, as says, citadel's rakarth flesh or whatever other equivalent in color and pigment would be a good base to lay the intended color on, for now try to paint over it, if the thing comes out sloppu and thick then consider stripping the models
>Skin is too thick? You mean on the face? I barely used any paint there haha.

It seems it is, but maybe its the photo, anyways they need some shading and highlights
>Been trying to shade it a bit and all of that. Is difficult, not working at all.
wut, shading its pretty easy, what shade paints are you using?

Not necessarily with your bits list, but the krootrifles are somewhat reminiscent of flintlock pistols.
There is a Mechanicus with sniper rifle in the WHFB Emprire range. Or at least there used to be, not sure if GW still sells him.
Maybe check that out for inspiration.

Ehhhhhh

Image how you are gonna feel tomorrow when you are slightly overhung and strung out on shrooms.
Now think about how you are gonna feel when you dug in last night and got shit done.

its fun and fluffy if you paint them with a camo pattern. unless you just have a paint scheme for them, in that case just dont be the average taufag who fields a grey plastic tide.

DO IT

>in that case just dont be the average taufag who fields a grey plastic tide.
I want to paint them and hate painting assembled models so this probably won't ever be an option

Man it's Thursday, I'm not going to get fucked.

FINE

>Pathfinders...

So as pictured, my army scheme uses iron as its primary colors

Going to be painting my tanks soon, whats a good way to differentiate the metal on the tracks from the metal on the hull

I see some people paint tank tracks in a dark metallic grey color, might try mixing some black with my leadbelcher for the tank tracks to achieve that

Any tips on how I should go about this?

Ah, is it the one with the long scope and the bracing stick thing? Like the skaven jezzails?

Working on a squat.
How's he look? Kinda want him to look old school

Feel inspired to try again now. Going to go over the pants with a base colour and try and paint over that, maybe white or grey. Might just swap over the grey completely even depending on how it looks.

Tried using nuln oil on the edges of the blue armour and the grey bits, and agrax on the yellow cloth bits. If I use too much it looks dirty though and I gotta paint over with the ushabti bone again... then sometimes I paint a little too much so I gotta use agrax again... the surfaces are very... varied in areas. It's usually easy. Maybe the frustration of painting this model is getting to me!

Maybe consider not doing the hull metal, go for mainly red or gold instead.
I love his "i'm so sick of this shit" facial expression

The rear, I love these scale tunic all the old orks and guard had
I love his biker hair too

you could make use some weathering and dirt on the tracks

For research purposes can you give me an example or two of chapters that do this?

Paint their vehicles a different color than their troops I mean

Also on a completely unrelated note, how much of a pain is the spartan to work with/assemble as far as resin kits go

Raptors would likely be painting their vehicles in camo. I can imagine Raven Guard would do the same.

>For research purposes can you give me an example or two of chapters that do this?
>Paint their vehicles a different color than their troops I mean

What about just inverting the normal colours, or having a specific colour scheme for a given campaign? How far back in the lore do you want to go, user?

>inverting the normal colours

The Imperial Fists Land Raider pictured here is a great example of that.

weeabork update

4 are mostly done, one more is "assembled enough" for tabletop use, just needs some bluetac, but so do they all since the game is on the 8th and there's no way I'll get more than a couple actually ready for painting

making sashimonos (translator's note: sashimono means "that little flag thing on the back") that can be removed so models can be stored turned out to be easy since I can just poke a hole in a toothpick and put a wire inside. Getting the size down, as well as making the actual design so I can print em out will be harder (might have to start begging in drawthreads soon)

posing orks is a bitch, especially when you want to modify the torso and have them hold a shoota, but at least I can make shoulder pads to cover up the huge gaps

Stop watching anime you fucking nerd

I don't watch anime
I am anime

This isn't even funny. You probably are a massive ween irl.

nice. I don't get the haters. Make sure your bosspoles and nobz got those samurai sticks with the rectangular flags on their backs

if you check out the FW books they have diagrams of tanks just painted with a diagonal stripe of the chapter colors or some such.
Something pretty awesome I've seen a few people do for Flesh Tearers is to divide the main colors of the scheme via the buzzsaw pattern from the chapter symbol.

Anyone think that Mk.IV space marine heads would look alright on Mk.III space marine bodies?

Went over all of the cloth in white, and then went over in Ushabti Bone again. Seems to have helped a bunch. I guess the strat of going over it with a base colour and starting again might be the best way when it just, isn't, working. Thanks for help guys.

Also Tempestus Scions for comparison.

Play mario kart, I don't want any more god damned Tau in this world

Hey Elegan/tg/entlemen, I'm designing my own chess set and having it 3d printed. I just got my prototype and I wanted to show off a bit.
It looks and feels great but the 'head' is too thin for my tastes, so I plan to resize it.

I got a couple more pics if anybody is interested.

What chapter are you painting them as?

No Idea, but I was gonna use this for cold casting in an iron/polyurethane blend and paint it afterwards.

Do you have any suggestions?

What should I do with the skin? I just realized I've never done skin like deldar are supposed to have, ie various shades of pale grey.

>I'm designing my own chess set and having it 3d printed
Why tho? I mean, the knight looks fine and all but it's pretty freaking generic. If you aren't doing something special what's the point?

Try using a wash like Nul Oil or Agrax Earthshade, followed by a grey drybrush like Terminatus stone

Close to finished with this guy, power effect is incomplete but something for now.

If I wasn't already painting, I'd do it

Dark grey or black can work, just say they've got rubber padded tracks

Well, it's generic because it's a prototype to see how the material is and if it's worth it. Details with be added to the model and the painting would add further things.

As to why:
1. This piece for more of a Chess variant I came up with and last time I check, shops don't have sets for chess variants.
2. I figured it would be a cool art project. I mean, why would you paint you own models when you could just get pre-painted ones or have someone else do it?

That's arguably more an example of Imperial Fists using camouflage.

I would like to have an army with a purple main color or maybe cyan. What would be good for this from 40k and AoS? I'm not certain about slaaneshi units because I already have primarily nurgle daemons.

Where the fuck can you be camoflauged in a tank the size of a small house that's painted like the world's largest, angriest hornet?
Unless you're hiding on an even bigger hornet?
Christ, imagine a mountain-sized hornet COVERED in Land Raiders.

You can paint whatever you want in whatever color you like.
There are no rules.

How can i achieve a glowing 'holy' effect on this sword? This is my first attempt. Trying to model The Burning Blade but focusing in the Blinding characteristic.

looking pretty fly, user (save for them MOLDLINES.) good to see someone doing something different with their GK

Astral Templars have a good purple colour scheme if you don't mind sigmarines.

Protip: most people on Veeky Forums mind sigmarines.

At first glance the hilt of his sword looks like a nipple tassel.

Sigmarite armour is anatomically correct, user. Why do you think they wear those kilts? :^ )

Got my delivery. New brushes and some mdf bases to test out.

I found some old orks back from when I was not as good a painter, and with the new edition coming up I want to repainted.
So I just want to confirm what the guide in the OP says is correct about stripping paint.
Simple Green in a jar of some sort, let sit for a day, and then scrub with a brush?

Worked for me, though it didn't get the chaos black layer off

If you don't have greenstuff body pillow then you're wasting everyone's time.

I might give those fellows a try I don't know much about them but I will read up and also look around army wise at possibly eldar or something else thank you both!

>tfw so unproductive lately that this is almost 2 months worth of work
Guess I'll bring something half-finished for saturday's tourney. Was telling myself last time that I'd get a perfect appearance score but oh well.
At least the white seems to be working for the robots as good as it does my other minis.

holy shit I misjudged the size of this when I bought it.

I thought it'd be tiny like a attack bike with a bubble on top.

It's as long as a land speeder and 3 times as tall, and this is the smallest of the 3 dwarf airships.

Oh the choppa daki is next

can't make the schoolgirl (boy) until I get another pair of those fantasy orc legs with the skirt though

hah, i like those user. they make me remember the behemoth orc of confrontation, and their weab gobbo's of course (rackham goblins are best goblins) keep on going user, will lurk for updates

i settled for a jade color on the straps, it looks good on the white. i also nihilak'd the groin armour, it's not realy visible in the pic but i gave it a light brush of gehenna's gold when it was dry

I'm just going to say it: Green has and will always go shit with white

Closer you get to yellow the more fucked things get. Yellow is evil.

Check out my blurrynaut blurr Admiral.

Oh BOY, finally managed to pick up my post. Wasn't the package I was expecting, but still, a very welcome to the family, even if it does make the family a WHOLE LOT larger than it already was.

Man, 8th ed can't come soon enough. I want to get these lads up and running ASAP. Hell, if it wasn't for college finals I'd be working on them right now.

>assemble razorwing fighter
>set down
>realize there is zero chance priming this thing in one go will work, and I can't use the stand

Any advice?

Prior to priming, maybe try to wrap the stand with painter's tape and paint the glass canopies with masking fluid?
Otherwise just do noice thin coats o' primer until it'd ready for paint. No need to get it all done in one go.

I'll probably just do it in a few gos. The base is gonna be a nightmare and a half to manage, though, I have to mill out a recessed base and plasticard the bottom. Can't use SW's recesses because they're too shallow, so it looks like I'm doing it by hand...

Fuck I love this conversion. I'm working on my own Trencher-to-Guard atm and this is giving me quite the "inspiration" boner.

Good luck user.
Does the Razorwing balance on it's stand n' base or does it want to fall over constantly? Time's like this I'm glad the only flier I have is a Stormraven (which balances on it's stand quite well). My friend's Harpy is uh... less aerially acrobatic - a fact he makes quite know during the course of games, either by word or example.

I haven't stuck it on its stand, but its weight distribution doesn't make it seem like it would fall over all that much. Then again, I'm still used to the nightmare that was having Tau drones on urban maps against me. They can't stand, period.

That said, who knows what replacing the base will do to its stability?

>Trencher
What, like a Cygnaran Trencher?

I'm thinking about using these guys and a few marine bits to proxy a Sternguard squad. How does that sound? Color scheme is dark blue with gunmetal highlights (though I may want to tone it down to grey for these models).

Also, is there anywhere you can get muzzled werewolf heads?

>Also, is there anywhere you can get muzzled werewolf heads
your best bet is sculpting a muzzle onto a werewolf head.
You might be able to find a few muzzled dogs if you look, I can't really think of any right now though.

Has anyone worked with the new Wizkids/NECA D&D and PF minis? Saw some at my FLGS and picked up pic related for the transparent bits. Cheaper than Bones, looks a tad bit more detailed and consistently produced, better than their old blind boxers, and even comes pre-primed with vallejo (which isn't much help since there's still mold lines to fix)

Also, how to tint these transparent bits? The sample painted pictures show them as colored but translucent, and I'd hate to go and learn now there's no options besides plain clear and priming and full painting.

Hey /wip/, I need a little advice. See, over the winter I got some minis on the cheap, and since I live in a frozen hellscape called New England, I took what I thought was the easy way out for priming and used gesso. Admittedly it was some nice Golden brand black gesso, but gesso nonetheless.

Thing is, that was a couple of months ago, and I'd been procrastinating on painting until a couple of days ago. It seems that the gesso is actually an incredibly shitty primer for miniatures, despite what some people on the internet say, and I tried stripping them to start again, this time with actual primer. There are definitely some small areas that my brushes can't reach to clean off, so I was wondering if there was anything out there I could use to dissolve the gesso without also melting the various plastic minis I have.

>and I'd hate to go and learn now there's no options besides plain clear and priming and full painting.
There are transparent miniatures for water or fire elementals from other ranges. On occasion I have seen these painted to great effect with washes and careful highlights.
The mini I'm thinking off was a water elemental that had been tinted blue all over but washed a dark blue in the recesses and had a very light drybrush of white on the edges where foaming spray was sculpted.
Come to think of it it was probably a Dreadball miniature.

Depending on how well the resin takes to painting you may have to hit it with a matte varnish first. You can always get the shine back with another coat of gloss though.

I'm a new player to war games in general so can someone explain to me how to highlight black?

Base paint quite dark grey, wash black for recesses, highlight slightly less dark grey.

Posted him a few days ago, mostly done now

If I was to use Vallejo paints, which would be the best colors?,Thanks for the help.

>What, like a Cygnaran Trencher?
Imperial Trencher from Warzone: Mutant Chronicles. The base model in pic related was one. Damn good models for the price, but man oh man they're made of some stiff plastic. Hard the work with.

you don't like the color combo? it's darker then in the pic but my phone sucks all colors out of it when there's so much white (the flesh in the gashes in the catsuit is actual fleshcolor irl)

also what's wrong with yellow? it worked out fine
youtube.com/watch?v=aVr6T1VPK58

Can you use 'Ardcoat to coat crystals on your base or does it get sticky over time?

GW's 'Ardcoat is a gloss varnish.
If it gets sticky over time there is something seriously wrong with it.

I think a brighter green in the center of the glowing areas would make it look better. other than that I like it.

GOBLIN GREEN IZ BEST

Almost done with my Oblivion Knight-Centura.

I'm very pleased with the bronze

Does she have two swords ?
Also, I would try to go for something more luminious with the plasma, it would fit better than flat green with the overall scheme.

starting my skitarii army with the metalica color scheme, but i cant for my life find where to get the transfer sheets fitting to the scheme. I know for a fact these exist, but GW has pulled them out of the market, and ebay sells only the regular ones now coming in the boxes. Anyone here know a place where to get them?

One is the Paragon Blade, and the other is the Custodes Misercordia.

And hmm I'll look into that for the Plasma.

forgot to post the image