EDH/Commander General

I did not see one so I made a thread edition.

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What is your favorite color combo and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zombies-just-so-many-friggin-zombies-man/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teysa-irs-agent-and-summoner-of-tokens/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Thread question
What is your favorite color combo and why?
Mono black because it can do pretty much anything the other 4 colors could do with the help of artifacts and I never have to worry about having the right colored lands in play

I'm about to experience mono black for the first time. I just ordered a Horobi deck to fuck with my friends. What mono black deck(s) do you have?

B/W favorite color combo because Daxos is the best and I love grindy games and having the best removal

>What is your favorite color combo and why?
BW because Teysa tokens is legit.

Why not add blue and just build Zur? By the same merit, yes, I could add G and build Ghave for a better token deck. But boob window.

so when do the mtgo changes happen? I'll be honest, I think it will be really easy to grind tickets by playing the leagues, going 3-2 (which I imagine is practically guaranteed with a tuned deck) gives you your entry fee back and you make a few ticks profit.

Boob Window Teysa is best Teysa. My first EDH deck, and one I should go back and upgrade. Any recommendations for recent cards?

>Always been the W player at my kitchen table
>Trying to brew different monoW commanders, compensating for the color's weakness with artifacts
I just want to draw cards every now and then. Is that so much to ask? And no, Sram doesn't interest me.

Zur is too easy. Daxos is actually a challenge to build and play because hes maybe tier 2.5 at best

Do you guys ever buy cards just because they're pretty or you feel like you should have them, even if they're not legal in any formats you play?

I just bought a foil eternal masters balance because it looks cool and is iconic.

Grixis.

The majority of my decks (that aren't cycles) run red, blue, black, or some combination of the three. My favorite deck runs all of them; vial smasher + kraum mad science is a slow but powerful deck.

Both Teysas have a boob window. Assuming you're talking about the old one? The newer one interests me too, but as a voltron pillowfort deck rather than token/combo.
>Any recommendations for recent cards?
Going from memory, since I took her apart last week.
Anointed Procession
Smuggler's Copter
Haunted Dead
Westvale Abbey
Retreat to Emeria
Oketra's Monument (maybe)
Newest Liliana (maybe)

So why have I never seen anyone play this? It's basically Embalm for all your creatures.

Too expensive? I feel like it's a ton of card advantage and worth its cost.

Are there any other cards like Relic of Progenitus, Nihil Spellbomb and pic related? Specific hate that also cantrips, or can cycle when they're not necessary

alright guys, be honest with me. I've got two decks, one I'm very happy with, and the other still needs work.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zombies-just-so-many-friggin-zombies-man/

this is the one I still need to work on, especially the mana base and a lot of the cards don't exactly mesh together very well.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teysa-irs-agent-and-summoner-of-tokens/

Groundseal is one of my favourites. It doesn't do anything to Karador though.

Because it doesn't cheat anything into play. On curve, without Orrery, you're wasting your turn doing nothing. Embalm has limited value anyway. Vizier of Many Faces seems great because it's the best thing on the battlefield, twice. You're not necessarily going to have the best creature card in your graveyard at any given point in time (without heavy buildaround like Phenax).

>zombies
Not big on the tribe myself, so I can't say much about recommendations, especially for EDH. I'd start by splashing blue and running Grimgrin or green to run Meren. Not that you can't run mono black. Mike is just such a massive combo piece, that you should expect to get hated out if you run him at the helm, even if you're not abusing him.
>Teysa
Not sure where to begin. I'd honestly pick a different commander if your heart is set on extort. The only extort card I run is Crypt Ghast.

Boros. Just balls out tall aggro is a lot of fun and more interesting than "tokens durr."

As far as actual working colors though, Golgari reanimation is always fun. Though I've had a Vorel for years and should probably do something with him. Simic was fun as fuck in RtR standard.

>Teysa con't
It actually just looks like you put it together from your bulk dregs. Start fresh. Try to get as much value out of every card as you can. Repeatability and accumulating value is key in commander. One-time effects are not great. It's why Bitterblossom and Ophiomancer are incredible with Teysa, whereas Anointer Priest or Doomed Dissenter aren't spectacular.

Yes, budget can be an issue, but there's really no reason to run cards like Gurmag Swiftwing in commander. Maybe watch some commander games on youtube to get an idea of the pace of the game.

I only have my Sheoldred deck but I have been thinking about building Edric and maybe a true demon tribal deck one day but we need a better mono black demon legend for tribal demons

2-color Golgari
3-color Bant
4-color Dune Brood

GRUUL, NIGGA

>a gorillion tokens
>giant-ass creatures
>fuckloads of lands
>crazy spells

Gruul is the color combo of KINGS

Red Blue has always been my favorite color combo. The crazy spellslinging stuff they can do is always fun and adding another color or two opens up some really fun gameplay.

How do I land grab in rakdos? I got all the necessary rocks but I need stuff to grab lands

Herald of Leshrac

Lili of the dark realms grabs swamps

Worth it's mana cost in a deck full to the brim with small, preferably etb, creatures, but only if you untap basically

Cards like this aren't very popular usually, ones where you pay a lot of mana for no value, hoping to untap next turn and go crazy. Reason being that somebody at the table can often play a nearly full turn of spells and such and blow up your big play as an afterthought for 1-2 mana, this gets worse the more opponents you have

There are a few cards like that that are decently popular, mirari's wake is one of them, but the big difference there is that you can ramp into Miraris wake on turn 3-4, and then explode the next turn. Ramping into an early back from the brink on the other hand doesn't actually do much because your graveyard won't be stacked yet if you ramped into it. So that means it's better suited for an etb/gy value deck that maybe eventually has enough mana late game to play this and go off

These are good but what about grabbing mountains?

Best you can do is stuff like Sword of the Animist or Explorer's Scope

Better swamp tutors for grabbing duals otherwise use your usual artifacts to tutor basic mountains

I wish griselbrand wasn't banned because he'd make a tribal demon commander

too bad he's just too good, so we're stuck with chumps like Kothoped and Nefarox

That one land that you can sacrifice to get 2 basics to play, solemn sim, burnished hart

Then there is stuff that gets land to hand, idk if that helps you, but there's a lot more of it like expedition map and such

I really like nefarox but he just doesn't have much of an impact

>zombies
get yourself a cryptbreaker, noxious ghoul, graveborn muse (and some easy ways to sac it in case it starts becoming a liability: nantuko husk/phyrexian ghoul), diregraf colossus/noosegraf mob wouldn't hurt. You will most definitely want a call to the grave enchantment. Cover of Darkness provides cheap mass evasion (a more expensive option would be Akroma's Memorial)

Unholy grotto is a GOAT land for this type of deck

Zombie Trailblazer, Gravespawn Sovereign, and the above mentioned Cryptbreaker provide a safe way to tap down your Forlorn Pseudama

So I'll have to rely more on my rocks, at least I got some help, thanks guys.

how oppressive is Horobi? my playgroup want's me to change commander because Sheoldred(no memes plz) is too oppressive against their Meren, Ruric Thar and Oloro

Anyone know some good commanders for messing with the table? Not chaos style, just having the ability to interact/interfere with other people's combat/spellcasting/general gameplay frequently?
The sort of deck Ursapine is at home in

>Meren player can't deal with Sheoldred

Is your group just total shit?

>Meren
I can see Thar having a shitty time with her, but how is forced sac a bad thing Meren/Oloro? The former WANTS her shit to die while the latter barely runs creatures to begin with and would be fine with everyone's board empty.

Moving from creature stax to land stax is probably not in your meta's best interest

Naya stompy with Gahiji, Fumiko, Basandra, Teeg, & Kazuul

Oh fuck me I thought you said Hokori, not Horobi

If you want to play demons just play Sol'Kanar.

If they play Meren or Oloro, you have every right to fuck 'em up. This is coming from a guy who used to play Meren. I deserved to get my shit pushed in.

pretty much. thoguh the Meren player just added Fleshbag marauder and the orc version of it to his deck along with woodfall primus so we see how it changes the meta.
Ruric Thar player whines that he can literally play nothing because the entire deck is pretty much just hydras and dragons with maybe 1 or 2 removal cards, Meren player doesn't actually mind that much but is just salty that i remove his Vorinclex the instant it hits the board every time and the Oloro player just wants to shit on me for ruining his solitaire game

>is just salty that i remove his Vorinclex the instant it hits the board every time
As you should. Letting Vorinclex stick around is a terrible idea and he should know that dropping a bomb like that is big removal bait.

Torn between him and Kaseto,thanks for the suggestion

why is there no modern general? i wanna bitch about high prices and fetch lands

That's exactly why there isn't.

Buy proxies from the chinamen, all your problems will be solved.

but we got a legacy general

They get about two weeks to bitch about Top or whatever before they fade into obscurity again.

For Hazoret madness, scale 1 - Spice?

I'm trying to come up with Bontu somehow as a challenge and game to myself, but I am just fucking stumped. She gets worse the more you analyze her.

Is there literally any tech or ancient mechanic in this game that could possibly "weaponize" scry? It just feels like nothing.

Best thing I've seen done with her is a life drain type strategy, with lots of small drain effects that add up. Not the best but it could work.

It could work. What do you, personally, think she might be able to do with a tokens theme? To differentiate from Gisa, she would have access to more than just zombies, I just can't think of what. I suppose living weapons are made for Bontu?

This is very sexual, I haven't seen this card. This is superb for quiet a few different things.

Excuse me but can't one play a card like Red Sun while having Omniscience for free (no R), and then pay mana as normal for each X? As in, play it for 5 damage, just tapping 5 mana, and not paying the initial R?

it is a symmetrical effect, so leyline of the void may be needed in conjunction

>7/1/2012 If the card has X in its mana cost, you must choose 0 as its value.

straight from the gatherer page for Omniscience

Omniscience says you MAY cast nonland cards without paying their mana cost, if you cast via omniscience x is 0 if you cast as normal its whatever you pay for X along with the red mana

I think some tokens and a lot of die triggers, as well as recurring creatures could work. Stuff like Blood Artist, Pawn of Ulamog and Bloodsoaked Champion. Living weapons seem like they could work, but I feel if any commander this set could take advantage of them it would be Temmet

Oh, that is actually a killer idea for Temmet.

Yeah, you dont get all of them, but the idea of making a Scytheclaw unblockable seems like alot of fun.

send help, I can't stop adding niche Sunforger and Sunforger-related targets into my Boros deck

Blue has a lot of other good filler to make batterskulls unblockable, including Thassa. And use her bident.

And this

I didn't even think of using Thassa or her Bident and I feel really dumb now

Ok, after seeing an interesting discussion in a prior thread, I'm gonna make Keranos? How do I build him? How many Clone variants should I run?

Just take 4 good cards out and replace them with fun cards.

high end edh has lands and pricy cards. Pretend the jund deck of your dreams is a prossh deck and the commence the shitposting.

I'm looking to making a Nehab deck based around everyone discarding cards including myself but I can't seem to find any effects that really benefit that strategy. Pic related is obviously a solid choice, as well as the new Minotaur that allows you to pay 2 to discard a create and give target a -1/-1 but other than that I'm really drawing blank on cards that allow me to discard cards for a decent effect, or cards that offer me a solid effect for having very few cards in my hand. Does anyone have any ideas or help? I don't have a deck list yet, I'm just in the brainstorming stage. Any help would be appreciated.

Daxos is far below that.

reanimation stuff is probably a good idea you could try flip liliana as well.

the deck is already full of shitty cards that are there only because i like the art, they have problem with the commander not the deck itself

I just made and tested out babby's first commander... with a Sliver tribal deck.

Ended up confusing Vigilance with Defender because I'm an idiot and ended up with an enormous hive of slivers that couldn't actually do anything but sit there and wait to be attacked

Has anyone here ran Grimgrin as a non tribal commander? I've been looking at him but majority of the lists Ive found online are Zombie Tribal focused. Any advice/tips for just building around him?

Trust me on this one, you can make it worse. Alternately if you hate them play kalitas.

What are some decently fun multiplayer commander decks to play? I am a newer commander player so I would love something fun that is relatively cheap too.

That's a good idea, I have one of them laying around that I've wanted to use for a while. It's at least worth a try.

Krenko Goblins is a nice, cheesy commander

>favorite color combination and why?

When I first started I liked rakdos because blood carnival seemed cool. Didn't like the red as much, loved the black. Over time I really liked the mechanics and control of blue.

Naturally, dimir is perfect 2 color for me. Control and oppression is perfect, second only to UW.

I also like green, though UG is cool in flavor, I dislike how powerful and "that guy"-y it is. BUG is best tri color.

Can't pick a mono color, cause all are fun to play in own way. Probably black or blue.

I find Zada super fun, and she's easy. She's very attack focused though, you drop you buffs on EVERY creature, and swing hard. Usually you get several draws off of it too because you're running cantrips which helps solves reds main issue. It's not a solid competetive deck, but if you're just looking for tons of fun it's hard to compete with 6 tokens and your commander all being around 7/3 on turn 4 or 5 and just dropping someone.

>first game with new gwaffa deck
>playing against kings, faerie tribal oona, and a "woops, all creatures" bruse +ishai deck.
>kings just pillowforting, 'murica pumping out creatures and generally being brain dead (couldn't hit a white source until like t7 (?)
>only tangible threat is faerie tribal oona, she has a target on my library as faerie fuel (other decks were 3 and 4 color) so I'm nervous
>manage to lock the game into a standstill, nothing untaps, nothing can attack, no creatures can enter, gaining 1 life a turn
>manage to get oona under darksteel mutation, and gideons intervention
>3 counterspells in hand
>Eventually draw test of endurance

I'm in love

I want to invest in a divine intervention.

Will it shoot in price (again) within the next month or two you think ?

Anyone have a decent budget Azami list?

What's your price range?

About $200 right now.

Fuck making a deck, buy a fow

Been playing a Zurgo warrior tribal deck (no wraths / worldslayer) and I am absolutely loving it. The new Amonkhet additions (Oketra, Start /// Finish and Honored Crop-Captain, Cast Out) are really good and I like how warriors are a constantly-supported tribe so I get new toys all the time

That actually seems like a fun deck.

Lovisa coldeyes in there?

Jund because it's value town, you get a creature that does something on etb and you can eventually sacrifice it to do something else and when you sacrifice it your opponents get their creature destroyed and they get hit to the face.
Also it has Gruul and Golgari in it wich are my favorite 2 color combos

I've been itching to build a Mono U deck lately, but I'm torn between Baral and Patron.
Patron seems more unique, and maybe people will be surprised to see it pulled out, but I don't know how well it plays, Or if it's too linear.
Baral seems pretty fun, but I feel like I'll be hated off the table, not to mention that everyone just expects to see him with how new he is.

If I clone flip Jace, and then activate the clone with 5 or more cards in hand what happens?

Nothing. It doesn't have a side to flip to, so it just doesn't flip. See also: token versions of flip cards.

Oh wait, no, I'm retarded and forgot how flipwalkers work.

It should exile and come back as a clone.

Naturally.

The deck is pretty fucked if it doesn't curve out which can be a problem 1v1, but winning with Blood-Chin Fanatic eating Zurgo over and over again (possibly while having Stoneforge Masterwork on) is an amazing feeling

Speaking of divine intervention. ..

If a player gets killed in a 4 man pod, but then the game ends up drawing afterwards by the remaining 3...

Does the first player lose?

Or draw?

The loser loses, everyone else draws.

for shits and giggles i built hapatra necrotic ooze combo. it's way worse than the version that uses morselhoarder because it requires a haste enabler, but it's felt a lot more fair for my playgroup than that deck. also, infinite snakes is a pretty neat win condition.