What made you walk out on a campaign?

What made you walk out on a campaign?

I'd pulled this one homebrew before, this being the second "storyline" for this party. I'd asked them repeatedly what kind of a game they wanted and got no answets at all so I made one in the same style as the previous one: a drama/suspense murder mystery kind of thing. They'd liked that before.

Poured a ton of research into making it as realistic and accurate as I could.

First session, everything goes fine, the party grabs the plot hook and runs with it, everything goes smoothly. Then one girl had to roll a new character.

She wanted to play a hamster.

A talking fucking hamster with a top hat and a monocle. In 21st century Berlin. Because she thought it was funny.

After that session just I went home and got drunk. I told everyone that the game is called off for good on the grounds that it was obvious that they didn't want to play anymore.

That sounds hilarious and you sound like a little baby back bitch.

I dont think its funny. You sound like the type of person who enables lolxdsorandum girls

I won't have anyone shitting up my game on purpose for no reason. If you're bored with the game I run, you don't have to play.

Like, I would've been fine with it if there had been any kind of a story to it, like he's on a quest to figure out how to be turned back into a human or something, but no. She just made a stupid, shitty character on purpose.

Like, her first character was a chaotic evil midget cannibal who can't talk, and I thought I'd just be patient, this was her first time playing an RPG, she'll be ready for a serious, grownup character eventually.

But no. She has zero intention to ever stop being a fucking nightmare at the table.

You only don't think it's funny because you wasted your time making a "lul so DEEP" setting and got salty when nobody wanted to play in it because it was boring as shit.

So because you had one problematic player, you dumped the whole campaign? Rather spineless.

That wasn't OP.

And stop white knighting a girl you've never met. She's a lesbian anyway, so you wouldn't get hte pussy even if by any stupidly unlikely situation where she'd find her way to this thread and your presence.

I'm hoping she'll be ashamed of everybody having to suffer for her shittiness and maybe try to be less of an inconsiderate cunt next time.

Who's white knighting? I'm just saying OP sounds like a pussy because someone wanted to make a goofy character in his stuffy no fun allowed setting.
>The players were so mean so I went home and had a drinky-poo and called off the game because WAH they not wanna play! ;~;

Grow a fucking backbone.

>Then one girl had to roll a new character.
Did her previous character die? It sounds like she might have cared about that character and had it be her essential tie to the campaign, and when that tie was severed, she lost a fair amount of what made her interested in it to begin with. Players who've lost interest tend to do silly/crazy/stupid things, because they just don't care anymore.

Overall, it sounds largely like you could have just handled things better with some clear communication. You're telling us it was as realistic and accurate as you could make it, but apparently you failed in communicating that to your players.

There's a massive leap between no fun allowed and not allowing a completely out of place cartoon character. People hate Jar Jar Binks for a reason.

OP didn't deny the character, he called off the entire game because it was even suggested. That's some basic bitch behavior right there.

Theres a difference between having a light hearted/funny adventure with the only purpose is to have fun and doing something just for the fuck of it without regards to a setting.

Ask each person if they are willing to play it seriously .If they do play on, if not give it nothings stopping you from walking away

No, the setting changed. It's a bit complicated, everyone had two characrers.

I've dropped campaigns because of Russian players who won't stop sitting up the game. No matter how patient you are, they will only play what they want the way they want it, regardless of setting, tone or powerlevel.
That, and the time difference is a pain.

I don't do retcons, and I'd already asked them repeatedly what kind of a game they were wanting and didn't get as much as a shrug for a reply.

I mean, the cannibal was her first character in anything, ever.

if she'd warned me ahead that she's exclusively into shitty characters, I'd have fucking prepared for it.

Nothing.

>One person makes a character that doesn't fit with the setting
>GG FUCKING FAGGOT PLAYERS GAME OVER FOREVER YOU'RE ALL STUPID
Even if she was the only girl at the table she clearly wasn't the biggest bitch.

Team responsibility doesn't do anything but make the person punishing the entire table seem like an asshole.

This isn't the military, you aren't a drill instructor, no ones life is on the line if this shit tanks.

You are also not a psychiatrist, any sort of doctor, or anything of the sort related to this girl.

You lost your shit over a talking hamster and blew your shit against everyone. The only one here who's being punished is you, by you.

Unfortunately we have a fairly tight-knit group of friends and trying to kick her out of the game would start an all-out civil war and I'd be risking losing my entire social support network. I really don't have the spoons for that kind of drama in my life right now.

I'm hoping that peer pressure will make her behave in the future. I'm sure the rest of the party is displeased with having lost their characters because of a talking fucking hamster.

Did anyone else have a problem with this character? Anyone at all?

Well, one girl's character tried to kill him on sight, and everyone DID agree with me that the hamster just can't fluently speak every spoken language on earth. Or even in Europe.

This girl is twenty years old and has a three-digit IQ. She's just got no fucking respect for the game and I don't understand why she even wanted to be a part of it.

so the entire table agreed that the hamster was a bad character. is that correct?

Are chaotic characters basically SJWs who only care how they feel with disregard to external, established rules and values?

This has to be bait, however on the absurd chance it is not then OP? you've lost your group and "social support network" by sperging out. The girl will take offence and by the next time you meet she'll have turned the others on for being "mean" or "frightening" or some other buzzword. I agree with you to a Limited extent but you've gone too obvious here. Even if she doesn't know the thirstiest beta in your group does and has told her

Nobody says that kind of thing out loud, but I trust that they all understand that it was the final straw. One character tried to shoot himself to get out of the shitshow.

When I told them the game is off they suggested doing a retcon, backing the game up to a place before the appearance of the hamster, but ruined is ruined. The game was fucked with and I can't and won't undo that.

>That sounds hilarious
You have to be at least 18 to post here

I can empathise with that situation. I asked my players wanted to play, they told me (no-magic commoner war survival), I made the necessary setting (complete with a map and pages of info on countries, their culture, and how international politics look like roughly), then they never read it and never showed up. People who ask you to GM but then they can't be bothered to play are beyond my understanding.

Since your reaction was to leave immediately instead of damage control, I suspect that the previous game with the party wasn't a smooth run either, and that you've had misgivings about the group for a while already. I think the other anons would be less condemning if you provided some context, although there is of course no way to salvage the "player is the customer and thus must be satisfied" crowd".

I don't think she will. She doesn't give a shit about the game, so I'm hoping this will bore her out of it.

Also, the only guy in the table who isn't gay or in a relationship doesn't seem to be particularly into her, either. And it's a mostly female group anyway.

The first game I ran for them actually ran incredibly smoothly. Too smoothly, in fact, as it was over in like two sessions and I had liked that one.

wait, are you all college students? live in america?

>actually let her roll the character
Found the problem.

So your such a bitch you want to push someone out rather than help or make hem change for the better, a you raised non of this during the game but only afterwards when non of them could see your face.

Reading this, your even worse because one thing ruined a game and you can't let go of it, even if your group decided to ignore it.

I 100% guarantee that if she had been a male you'd have called him out on that shit and given him the boot without any ceremony.

When we got railroaded to a fucking rape tower where to progress the plot we had to let a wizard rape us.

Three of us went nope nope nope and walked out once the GM made it clear that there was no way to progress except rape.

I'm gay.

>NPCs don't have names just epithets like "Mob Boss," "Crazy Magitech Guy," and "Prince Dude."
>Advertised game as 5e, but used 3.5 mechanics constantly
>Advertised as point buy, but when I got there he wanted 3d6 down the line
>Session I played in was a 4 hour shopping excursion for the other players. My PC literally had 1/20th of the funds any other PC had.
>Players were all edgelords, furries, and/or weeaboos
>The guy sitting next to me had no concept of an "Inside Voice" and constantly yelled.
>At the end of the session the DM asked if I was going to make it next time.
>I told him I wasn't a good match for his group and noped the fuck out there.

I should have known that's what I'd get for answering an ad for 5e off my FLGS' bulletin board.

>...is you, by you.

careful son, calling him out for being things he's not while simultaneously pretending to be a psychologist from your armchair... hypocrisy

>player tells subpar joke
>GM goes home and gets shitfaced

Complete lack of intestinal fortitude

It baffles me that there are people that think people will put up with that kind of fetish display.

I walk out on campaigns all the time, even more often if I'm a player.

Because people don't show up on time, because the GM is shit, because the game is uninteresting, because people don't do anything. Essentially, I'll walk out on any game that falls too far short of my standards. Nothing will actually meet my standards, so you can't be too picky.

But this thread is obviously about you. As the GM, it's up to you whether to drop the game or not. Fuck what everyone else says. Personally, I thought the hamster sounded like a retarded idea.

>I don't do retcons
Well, that's on you.

>bitch
>bitch
>bitch
>bitch

You must be samefagging. What does calling off a game have to do with being a bitch?

No one debated that the hamster was a good idea.

We debated that his tactics were what amounts to a temper tantrum, rather than seriously trying to run a game. Any number of other steps could have been taken. Rule 0 is a thing for a reason, and he could have invoked it on this chick at any time.

But instead he nuked the thing and called it done hoping everyone would crawl back.

My guess is he's been thrown out of too many games for being a hamster.

> I COULD just say "no" and ask people if they're still interested in the game.
>Nah I'll just cancel everything and feel sorry for myself

Like I get the hamster thing is annoying and disrespectful, but acting like a child isn't the right way to go OP

Pretty much. But unlike SJWs, Chaotic Good characters have strong morals and apply them consistently, instead of letting their own group get away with everything while condemning those outside the group for imagined offenses. Also, the reason they don't like external rules is that they don't like seeing people get pushed around or forced to adopt a particular dogma. This contrasts sharply with SJWs, who will berate, shame, and insult you until you agree with them on everything, or label you as evil if you won't submit and conform.

Not him, but I'm wondering if it was less of a fetish display and more of an attempt to create cheap drama and/or make some kind of preachy social commentary. Rape is often used for those purposes in stories that are badly written, ideologically motivated, or both. I'd rather deal with an enchanted piss forest than a rape situation, because it's far less likely that the piss forest is going to lead to a thinly-veiled lecture on the DM's gender philosophy.

>Neutral Good
>"Am I being paid? Then sure."
>"Well, I'm only *Neutral* Good."
That's not so much alignment abuse as a total misunderstanding of what that alignment means. Neutral Good just means you're more willing to work within the system than a Chaotic Good character, but also more willing to go against the system than a Lawful Good character. It's arguably the most purely good alignment, because all they care about is doing the right thing.

Whoever made this seems to think that every player is looking for an excuse to be a dick and that LG/NG/CG is just Good/Sort of Good/Arguably Evil.

>A study of alignment ABUSE

OP did you actually try talking to this person like an adult or are you such a massive faggot that you ended your group without even trying?

That explains the bitching and the passive-aggressive way of trying to solve things.

No, you're just a faggot.

I feel like a sub and a BLT should functionally be in the same square

I think whoever made this was thinking of Jimmy Johns style subs where the roll has a slit in the side like a hot dog bun.

Okay no fuck this thread and fuck that image

the issue isn't the structure, it's the fucking orientation

a hot dog isn't a sandwich and a sub is, it's got nothing to do with the filling

a sandwich involves a starchy structural substance for the fillings to rest upon, and the same or a similar layer on top, a hot dog is fucking sideways.

good job!
agreed, its sick.

Usualy GM was sick. Player offers to run some kind of knight academy thing.
Turns into some really slice of life shit.
Leave after a couple of hours, tell her I'm not into slice of life roleplaying.

>le true neutral has no personality/worships neutrality and absolute fairness meme
wewe

When the DM took my character sheet, then took control of my character for two hours. He then told me he was writing a book about the campaign.

>they tainted it and now I can't ever like it again
Yo Barneyfag calm the fuck down. Talk to her in private and tell her this is a serious campaign.

Happened to me too. Minus the "le book" red flag

>game introduction begins
>get control over our characters after half an hour of airport shenanigans that the PCs aren't even part off
>oops something happened
>"you go to sleep and-"
>another half an hour later we can finally play
>"you get interested in [thing character wouldn't care about] and go ask the man in the booth questions about it"
>No, I don't
>this great transgression puts my character on hold until the last three minutes of the game

Fuck you, i kek'd

Checked and
>instructors
oohrah

But user, maybe you're the one holding the hot dog the wrong way.

See I am glad that I left that game

I had a GM pull this shit on my group for a 3 hour long dramatic bbeg fight. Litreally rolling the dice and telling us what happens.
Afterwards, we pulled him aside and told him that if he ever pulled this shit again, he'll never GM again. We termed it a cutscene fight. He eventually got his shit straight and is one of our regulars in the GM rotation.

>What made you walk out on a campaign?

First time was during a new WoD mortals game. The GM decided to have me take no-save automatic damage when I was low on health. Four times in a row. When I just sighed "well, I'm dead" he was shocked, because he wasn't paying attention to how injured I was. I made a new character, but then I realized that the game was nothing but random events that seem important, but really aren't, made up an excuse and then left.

Second time, it was a sci-fi game about travelling space and for some bastard reason they were playing D&D murderhobos stranded in a planet with futuristic swords. Also, two players were playing two characters that were the most bullshit and offensive gay flamer stereotypes that could make even the most hardcore /pol/tard cringe. The were generally a load of fucking cringe; using the word "fuck" like a punctuation mark, talking in length about another game that I didn't know or cared about, having the sense of humor of 16 year olds at age 25-28 and regularly insulted me for trying to roleplay a criminal underling instead of gearing up for non-stop war.

>She wanted to play a hamster.
And... what's the problem?

Give her stats of a hamster. If she roleplays well then it's all good.

Is a meatball sub a sandwich? What about a philly cheesesteak or Italian beef?

I had something kind of similar happen within my group. The usual GM wanted a break, so I decided to run a fairly serious archaeology dungeon crawl type of game, where the party would help some old dude track down clues to a missing artifact that was stolen before he could properly examine it, ultimately resulting in the party saving the world and shit. How they got to that point was up to them.

Then the old GM rolls a bard, and proceeds to just do silly things out of context. Throughout the entire time we're playing, I'm trying to set the mood that it can be kind of gritty, and serious, and the whole time he's walking around chanting random junk, partially breaking the fourth wall when talking to people, and "being totally metal *demonhorns*" and all that. Thank FUCK the game ended when, to prove a point that we shouldn't give the servant all of the party money to go do the shopping because he could get robbed, he decides to rob him.

The game ended with the party basically about to square off. I mean, I can understand that he probably just wanted to cut loose because he finally got the chance to play as a player for once, but when he's clearly disrupting it for everyone else, it just makes you wonder why you'd want to continue it. I mentioned once or twice that we should kind of cut it out, but I don't think he really understood why, or maybe I didn't explain it well enough. It doesn't matter though, we never picked it back up after that session, and it was never brought up again, and everyone moved on.

>"I'd asked them repeatedly what kind of a game they wanted and got no answets at all"
>running a game anyway
I'm sorry OP, but if you do this you deserve whatever happens to you.

Next time use the Same Page Tool or whatever so whenever one of your players wants to play a monocle hamster you can point to the part of the game contract that says "no joke characters" and shut her up, instead of having a mental breakdown.

>for a 3 hour long dramatic bbeg fight.
>Litreally rolling the dice and telling us what happens.
>3 hours

And you didn't feed him his own dice? You're fucking saints.

The real question is:
>Three of us went nope nope nope
That implies not 'all of us' just 'three of us.'
At least one party member liked where it was going.

This. If OP had had any balls, he would have just said 'no'. Instead; he had a tantrum, took his toys, and went home to pout.

Though the more I read this, the more I think the whole thing is fabricated.

We started doing other shit, browsing internet and then started playing castle crashers I think it was.

Yeah, that reason being obsessing over a film for children that copies samurai films like it was some kind of serious, gritty world.
It's kind of like WH40K which started as a joke setting, but autists don't understand irony.

Forgot to add that people hate Jar Jar Binks because it makes them aware of how retarded they're being over a meme setting like SW.

Fuck em then

You see the only issue I had with this is that it was a group of mostly military guys playing. He tried to play the "I have more rank than you" game to get out of that. It was more than blatantly clear it was time to go.

The only real reason he wanted me there is that the LGS, which was helping us get game together, told him that I owned the vast majority of the books for the system (3.5). It only became apparent when two of the other guys involved with the game started calling me asking for books.

>didn't just say no
>stopped the whole campaign because of one person

Bitch
Nigga

You have the autisms OP. You can't just cancel a game because a girl didn't behave like you wanted to.

It's 2017, let her be.

>who can't talk,
That must have been hell

Brofist OP. I feel ya.

Just kill yourself you idiot. The other players tried to kill themselves in the session they played. Read the fucking thread.

ONE player supposedly tried to kill their character after this guy was too much of a bitch nigga to say no to hamster characters and allowed it to play out

The group could have been 3 people for all we know, that would be 50% of the non-shit players.

>One character tried to shoot himself to get out of the shitshow.

Sounds like suicide dude didn't want to deal with that campaign now that it had a quirky hamster, which OP decided to allow in his serious campaign. So yeah, still placing blame squarely on OP for not saying no immediately

You can do that all you want but you know deepd down that your original post was retarded because you didn't read the thread. My purpose was for you to waste your time reading a shit thread.

You did, so in a way, I still win. Bye faggot, stay mad.

>allowing players "any character they want" without any consideration about the setting, campaign tone and rest of the current party
Srsly, are you still doing this?

>this is a victory
Wow, not a lot going on in your life, huh

>relocate, have to find a new gaming group
>meet some cool people at a LGS
>join an ongoing campaign
>Pathfinder, meh okay
>dungeon master is some 1e oldfag
>brace for Gygax-tier shenanigans, make switch-hitter ranger
>proceed to chunk his encounters over several sessions
>dm gets tired of it
>queue orc surprise encounter
>party is surrounded
>my ranger focus fires the leader
>dm summons quantum ogres
>drops my ranger to 0 hp
>dm rules my character as unconscious
>forced to idly watch the TPK unfold over the next two hours
>pack up my shit and walk out without saying a word

He later messaged me and said that he was sorry for neglecting me, but is unwilling to guarantee there won't be a repeat experience in the future.
The other players are begging me to come back.
Should I just scalp the best players and run my own campaign?

>The other players are begging me to come back.
>Should I just scalp the best players and run my own campaign?

yes

>the more I think the whole thing is fabricated.
Of course it is.

My GM finds crit fails to be hilarious, so whenever one happens, it's inevitably "lolrandumb shenanigans" no matter the context, though the entire world is really an excuse to pop out references to media that he likes (the king of our kingdom is Conan the Barbarian, and there's the land of Equestria up north, as an example), so I don't really find it that surprising really.

One time he took control of my character and had him assault a random passerby, who then happened to be a well-connected and respected member of the local community, and I had to bullshit my way out of getting thrown in jail.

This happened because I rolled a Nat 1 on trying to find someone to give a haircut to keep up my skills as a barber, or possibly buy a bust I could practice on.

Ive walked out precisely once on a campaign.

>be new to city
>4e recently released
>found group with openings happening
>meet with DM at local flgs
>old man of 60, scraggly beard, slightly odd in an indefinable way but you just know.
>turns out we're all going to his house to play
>first red flag I missed
>carpeted but shitty basement lined with terrible old school minifigures with shitty paint jobs, all kinds of old D&D books dating back to the beginning of the game.
>Before first session, discussion of rules
>He pulls out his giant ass binder of houserules for 4e which only recently released like 6 months ago
>second red flag
>new to the game, some of the rule seems alright at first skim, but I was going to go over most of them at home
>forget
>First session is spent on introductions of characters and spending the night at an "inn"
>its a fucking brothel
>apparently he has rules for getting bonuses the next day for fucking over night
>these were not in his handout of houserules he gave us
>my chaste paladin character aint partaking in this shit

>second session
>story gets introduced
>finally some combat so I don't have to listen to literal autistic man blather on about meaningless shit involving his busty elf maiden
>try to do cool 4e paladin shit
>nope
>new houserules
>My paladin has been nerfed into uselessness since he dislikes the way they now play
>Literally useless for 4 fucking hours, barely contributing to combat
>get a look at the rest of the houserules for 4e at the end of the game while they talk about other shit
>Oh Jesus, i'm at a literal fucking grognards house
>its a clusterfuck of badly implemented and in some cases downright nonsensical shit
>Never go back

Goddamn grognards.

Have you met op?

There's nothing more pathetic than a white knight debasing himself for pussy that he couldn't get if it was three inches from his face.