Why is immortality a curse? Wouldn't you want to see everything that will happen in the current universe?

Why is immortality a curse? Wouldn't you want to see everything that will happen in the current universe?

People get up their own ass about it. Pay them no mind.

Sour grapes.

Something about never being able to spend your golden years with loved ones, but I would assume someone trying to obtain immortality isn't one for such Earthly pleasures.

Because those authors just like the rest of us experience existential dread when they think about their own mortality. But instead of accepting how much it sucks that they are mortal, they try to argue that not dying is actually a bad thing as a way to appease their own thoughts and put that dread at bay.

It's bullshit. People may not want to live "forever" but they probably do want to live indefinitely. When the majority of these people are 65 they're going to want to live to be 66. When they're 66 they'll want to be 67, etc.

Because the chances of dementia increase with age. The deal was you live forever. Nothing about that means "you're sane forever".

A) Even "lifelong" relationships are doomed to be short to you and B) the heat-death of the universe is a thing.

>Be able to fuck girls that are more than probable related to you
Man, if I were immortal I would be Genghis 2.0

everyone is already immortal though, we wipe memories upon physical death and reincarnate.

Well it sucks watching your friends and family pass away while you remain, but on the other hand you'll have more friends and family than anyone else.

>Why is immortality a curse?
People sour grapes, consolling themselves for their own mortality.

>muh everyone will leave me
So...? You will lose a lot of loved ones in your life. Nothing stops you from meeting more people.

>I would get bored
There is literally infinite content in the world. And more content is done everyday. You would only get bored if you wanted.

It's only bad depending on the type of immortality, as in 'lol you are immortal but you age'.

Shit gets boring after a while, and you eventually end up with no friends you can really relate to. Plus, you keep having to meet with the devil at this one shitty pub every century and he always makes you pay for the bill.

thank you, no one gets how weird it would be to float from the metal hearts of dead suns for eternity. Time spent in the current universe would seem like a minute in comparison.

>Why is immortality a curse?
Because immortality usually only extends to yourself, not those you care about. Because sometimes you can still be ripped apart and just have to live on as a cripple, forever. Because eventually the world might be destroyed and you will be stuck in the void forever. Hell.

>Wouldn't you want to see everything that will happen in the current universe?
No that sounds boring as fuck. I'd rather shoot myself in the head right now if I had to pick between the two.

I HATE YOU CHUCK

I HATE YOU AND YOUR STUPID FUCKING MADE UP BULLSHIT ILLNESS

JIMMY SHOULD HAVE YOU FUCKING COMMITTED YOU FREAK

AND THEY SHOULD FUCKING LOCK YOU IN A ROOM MADE OF FLUORESCENT BULBS

>live too long
>can't maintain all your memories
>have to pick and choose what memories you want to keep, write them down and repeat them to have any remembrance of your past

>Because immortality usually only extends to yourself, not those you care about.
You will outlive your parents. Sorry user.

>No that sounds boring as fuck.
Because you lack imagination. I could spend my entire life watching movies and I'm sure I could never finish watching half of the worthwhile ones.

Soothe your boobs. You know Jimmy wins in the end. He's practicing law in BB, so Chuck's disbarment scheme obviously doesn't work out. And there's no trace of Chuck in BB, so that means he's either dead, committed, or just disowned from Jimmy and slowly withering away in his home, all alone.

Because our generation is incredibly cynical

/thread

Human psychology is built on novelty.
Take away novelty and you lose your reason to live.

You know how people complain about being bored even when there is a shit load of things they could be doing? They are the ones who bitch about immortallity as a curse

No one would, to be frank.

Why live a life that exists only to exist? If you're temporally bound, you at least have your legacy to work towards. When your lifespan is literally infinite, you're stuck in an infinite regression where there are simply a finite number of experiences, and after you've had experiences beyond human conception, for all intents and purposes you cease being human. You're a victim of profound entropy, and you'll live long enough to watch everything you've ever cared about die 10,000 times over.

>Why live a life that exists only to exist
Ego

Isn't this pretty much the opposite of true? The human mind is exellent at handling routine. Even if this was't the case noone is taking away novelty?

This is the fallacy, because after an eternity you're destined to grow and have a deeper, more profound understanding of the aeons, which would lead to a humble approach to solving problems. Really, only a megalomaniac sociopath could possibly enjoy any aspect of immortality after they've experienced their third, fourth, tenth cycle of human life.

You will outlive everyone you know and love.
You will outlive humanity.
You will outlive the earth.
You will outlive the sun.
You will outlive this galaxy.
You will outlive the entire known universe.
You will outlive existence itself.

On the one hand there's barely living a century, on the other hand there's spending an amount of time comparable to earth's age in pain and agony, floating through the empty vacuum of space where you can't even scream to relieve yourself.

Immortality is a curse I wouldn't even wish upon my worst enemies, it's a torture far crueler than mankind. The only 'good' kind of immortality is the Tolkien elf kind where you can't die of old age but everything else can still kill you.

Yeah I don't know how anybody can be bored in this day and age.

I think the only curse of immortality would be if all things ceased to be and you were just floating around aimlessly in the void of space, but you'd hope with all that time you could work out a solution to that.

>Why live a life that exists only to exist?
Why do you climb a mountain? Because it exists.
Existing is enough of a reason.

that's nonsense

Sheer probability says by the time you hit 200 you will have seen every possible human experience you could possibly have. Shit, people stop having sex in their 40s because it's boring

in the worst case scenario your brain would probably just shut down after some time

You are an idiot. Comparing 'you might lose most of the people you know before you die' to 'you will outlive everyone. Forever' is simply stupid. You will never meet a person who will live even a fragment of what you will live.

You're weird if you could enjoy yourself watching movies every day for more than a week. There's something wrong with your brain.

Wrong. You don't climb a mountain simply because it exists, you climb a mountain for the experience of climbing a mountain, for the thrill of reaching a peak, for the legacy of accomplishing something. Once you've climbed the greatest mountain, all others pale in comparison and ring hollow. Once you've climbed every mountain, even if a new mountain burst forth from the ocean, you'd feel apathetic towards it unless there's some intrinsic newness you want to experience in a philosophical sense. Existing is reason enough to exist for the being that is not aware of its being, but for the being that has ascended to eternity, after the thrill of corporeality has worn off, you're left empty and devoid of purpose when you need it the most. What gives you the will to exist beyond simply existing when there is no danger in sustaining your existence? If the answer is nothing, or that existence is self sustaining, you'll simply sit in once spot and watch the universe die, which sounds more like a punishment than a gift.

Is this opposite day or are you pulling my leg? "every possible human experience" in 200 years? Are you saying that 25% percent of all people live identical lives? also old people have TONS of sex, nursery homes are like a high school without social anxiety.

I'd like to see myself as a living archive within 100,000's of years

How would the government react noticing you being alive that long

im autistic and I think of these scenarios when im in the shower

Look, everyone you know will die some day. Some of them you'll manage to outlive, others not. Outliving some doesn't stop you from enjoying your life, so neither would outliving everyone.

Not true. I have eaten a great meal, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying other meals even if they're not as good.

Eternal youth and immunity to disease would be great
Being completely invincible would not not be great at all, you'd inevitably end up stuck on your own forever somehow

Exactly, because you're limited temporally in what you can enjoy. If you had every great meal throughout human history, you'd stop enjoying "normal" meals, and kitche value wears off pretty quickly. You'd only continue to enjoy meals if you had some sort of meaning associated with eating them, like sampling a chef's particular art, or the nuances associated with that meal. Eternity is a long time, and matter only has a finite number of arrangements. It's reasonable to assume that in 100 Billion years you've eaten every combination of matter possible, and in doing so, you reduce the experience of "eating" to a mechanical action of nostalgia.

Depends on setting.
If an afterlife exists then you're bottling yourself out of infinite pleasure.
If no afterlife exists you are probably not really immortal as you crumble apart with the rest of baryonic matter a few quintillion years down the road.
If you are still immortal to the point of outlasting the decay of baryonic matter, then you're going to be alone for a very, very long time until a new universe is generated around you if spontaneous matter generation is a thing.

>You are an idiot. Comparing 'you might lose most of the people you know before you die' to 'you will outlive everyone.
What's the difference? You can still outlive everyone you know. You could go with them for a trip, an accident happens and all your friends and family die except yourself. Too bad, time to kill yourself I guess?

>You will never meet a person who will live even a fragment of what you will live.
Yeah, people totally think 'I will probably outlive this person' before deciding to make a friend.

>You're weird if you could enjoy yourself watching movies every day for more than a week.
Yeah, because if I gave you an example it means only doing that example. The point is that there are like unlimited activities in the whole world for you to do. It's only limited by your imagination.

Immortality means watching everything you ever loved die around you. Not just everyone, everything.

Two hundred years from now you'll wake up and realize you're living in a completely different country with values and politics completely unlike yours, in a society that bears no resemblance to the one you grew up in. All your favorite childhood activities will be forgotten. All your favorite places to see and visit will be gone.

In two thousand years, human society will be entirely incomprehensible compared to what you were raised with. You won't even speak the same language or eat the same food. In all likelihood, none of the skills you grew up with will matter anymore. In twenty thousand years, it'll be so different it'll be like dwelling among aliens. In two hundred thousand years, you might not recognize the human species. Two million, and you won't recognize almost any animals. Twenty million, and you won't recognize the kinds of animals that exist. Two hundred million, and you won't even recognize the world.

Now think about how upset the average fa/tg/uy gets when someone messes with Warhammer 40K lore.

This.

Everyone wants to be immortal, people just come up with shitty excuses on how that would be bad with stuff like "muh see everyone die" and "muh time perception" to try to convince themselves.

Because you won't go see the universe.

What are you doing right now, OP? You're posting on a board about random hypothetical Why aren't you seeing the world, OP? Because it's expensive. Because it'd be a lot of work. Because you're planning to do it tomorrow.

How often do you sit around bored, OP? Why not go learn a new skill? See someplace new? Meet strangers?

Because it's easier to be bored and do nothing. Gaining immortality doesn't make all these things less true. Infact, with an infinite lifespan you're likely to get worse. "Visit Antartica? Sounds neat. I'll get to it next century."

Being immortal just means being bored and lazy for eternity.

>why is existance a curse?

Fuck, it's summer already?

No food tastes good. Hence I want to eat it. If I'm around for eternity I'm going to forget the details of the different high quality foods I've eaten and have the sensation rush back then next time I eat it. Or be disappointment cause I remember it tasting better. Such is life. Regardless I'm going to enjoy sitting around eating a hot bowl of minute noodles on a rainy day.

I am seeing the world though. I also have bills to pay so I can't go on vacation every second of my life

But you'll change too, along with the world

+1 this.
You can imagine scenarios where you would WANT to die, but you probably hope you don't die today, so the real curse is having no choice in the matter.

Anything taken to an extreme becomes a curse. Life is no exception.

"Immortality wouldn't be all that" has been a moral since AT LEAST since humanity developed writing, what with it being the final message OF LITERALLY THE OLDEST TEXT EVER FOUND, the Epic of Gilgamesh.

This is so fucking true. I mean, I'm troubled trying to remember two years of events and people, and I've barely lived ten times that long.

Gilgamesh wasn't against living forever, he was against being the lover of the Ishtar because she was an arbitrary bitch who would make his life suffering the moment he fell out of her favor

I always figured the message of TEoG as being pragmatic than anything. "Immortality would be great, but consider that if it takes a lifetime to search for you just might end up wasting your whole life for it when you could instead invest in the people around you and creating a legacy that will outlive you anyway."

In the end of the story he accepts that the snake got away with immortality instead of him and, upon gazing on the walls of Uruk, realizes that eternal glory will be all the immortality he needs (and lo and behold, some 7000 years later we still think of him as a hero).

Rejection of immortality is the ultimate sour grape. No one has it, no one can have it and no one will ever have it, so people come up with lots of reasons and justifications why they wouldn't want it anyway. But they all secretly covet it, even in denial. Because what is the affirmation of immortality other than the affirmation of life itself?

Sour grapes. You ever notice how the only people who call immortality a curse aren't immortal? Makes you think, doesn't it?

Thats Gilgamesh accepting mortality and making the best of it, not stating that immortality is a curse. Which is admirable and sensible moral given the inevitability of death for everyone at the time but immortality would still be awesome.

Living beyond your loved once will be hell the first extra 50 years over 85, when you see your great grandchildren die.
But eventually you'll have no real connection to anyone for the long term.
You'll become a god quite obviously eventually.
Form your own living religion, end all wars eventually.
Thousands of years later humanity will explore other galaxies, thanks to you.

I love how it's the people who get most fiery about how, if they were immortal, they'd live a life of "eternal journeying, eternal discovery, eternal growth!" and all that rhetoric almost always tend to be the people who've thus far spent the vast majority of their lives sitting in front of a computer doing nothing of importance and would likely continue to do so indefinitely if given the choice.

Newsflash: you don't need to be immortal for all of those things. Or at least, you don't HAVE to be. You can have plenty of discovery, journeying and growth right now, right the way you are. Join Doctors Without Borders, go volunteer somewhere, join the army, join a monastery, start a band, learn an art, learn to cook, open a business, buy a one way plane ticket to Nepal, start walking South and don't stop until you reach Mexico, build a boat and sail it, start reading philosophy, start writing poetry, adopt a kid, leave your fucking apartment.

But you'd much rather keep watching anime and pretending immortality's what stopping you.

Theres something really satisfying about the fact that the oldest story to survive through the ages is the one that ends with "my story is my immortality"

>Everlasting life
>Regular human memory

You can hardly remember details from a decade ago. Being immortal without any other guarantees basically just makes you a homunculus

You being immortal would be noticed you know.
>Hey this guy still look like 25
If you don't reveal yourself to the public, you will get locked up and tested on in secret.

The idea is generally that, given an infinite amount of time, they'll be able to *eventually* get around to doing all those amazing things.

Anons being what they are though it's far more likely it'll just place them in a loop of infinite procrastination and they'd spend eternity doing nothing.

Yeah, let's live past the lifespan of our earth, the solar system and eventually the universe. What happens to you in a trillion, trillion years?

Or you know, they have done some of those things, enjoy doing them, want to do them forever without the constraint of physical harm stopping them from doing the really crazy stuff or from the financial burden of living comfortably when you eventually do have to return home getting in the way. Immortality removes plenty of constraints from the dream of adventure.

There's a joke saying among students in my country (it also sounds funny in my native language) that translates to something like "give a student two weeks for a project, you've given them 13 days to procrastinate. Give a student two months for a project, you've given them 59 days to procrastinate."

Dream.

Yea but come on.
Dude's got some kick ass stories, and being able to say 'go home Satan, you're drunk', is worth picking up the tab.

I still remember stuff from my early childhood.
Doesn't matter if I don't remember the details.
I was on a boat, I was off the boat, we walked on ice.
This other time around 5 years old I threw a snowball in my sisters face, my father laughed about it, sister cried.
I have many memories like this they're all visual and mute. But I constantly remind myself of these random memories, I even have memories of me remembering them.

The world will change way faster than you.

Did you read the last sentence of my post? People don't adapt to change very well. Seriously, think about any time someone's changed a favorite piece of pop culture - one single piece of one tiny fraction of the human experience. Yet so many people freak out about it.

The future is Age of Sigmar. Forever.

I don't mind changes to stuff, don't even understand why people get so angry about them. The original still exist doesn't it?

It comes from a Christian mentality, to live forever means you can never live with God. It carried over but the reasoning was forgotten.

And then what? Forever is a very long time. Even if you didn't go nuts from floating in a void for eternity you'd get really, really bored. The only hope you'd have is if your mind shuts down or you know how to enter your own dreams and stay there.

>people who have to toil 8 hrs/day + sleep 8 hrs/day (for health) + spend 2 hrs/day getting to and from work don't use the remaining 6 hrs a day for ebin adventures

Who'd a thought?

And while the Army is pretty rad, just plain being a hobo sounds gay as hell.

>You will outlive existence itself.
If you haven't figured out how to become God and create a new reality at your whim by that point in time. Then you're really shit.

I'm honestly just using an example I think most people here can relate to. If that doesn't make your skin crawl, and there's no other media examples which would bother you, then imagine whichever one you hate more between /pol/ or tumblr winning the culture war and eventually society shifting so that their most extreme fringe is considered moderate.

>existence will end meme

Sounds pretty neato.

Presumably, somewhere in that time frame will be every permutation of D&D, 40k, et cetera that will ever be. Playable Alchemical Patropoli may even become a thing. There may even be a new edition of Dark Sun and Spelljammer. etc.

But what if i want to be immortal just so i can keep doing nothing forever?

>existence
Nothing can't be.
or
Something has to be.
"Nothingness" is the only thing that is truly impossible.
A void is still something.

Well if it's perfect there's no problem aside from what you leave behind. But even a perfect eternal body might have a fallible mind, even if the physical aspect of the brain is fine it won't necessarily protect you from madness and ennui.

See, that's the thing you don't get. You only live longer. You don't get any smarter. That requires hard work and effort and all the reasons why you're not out there making something out of yourself and instead sitting on Veeky Forums complaining about age. You're probably going to get some kicks but in the end you're going to realize that after humanity has kicked the bucket there won't be any internet to masturbate to. Being immortal will give you time but more likely than not you'll waste it doing the same old shit as before. Go out there and figure it out now instead of hoping humanity will do the work for you.

Got to agree there bud. People lost those closest all the time. I have personally and i can say that you get over it. If you don't its probably something on your end.

You can do that right now, yet odds are (statistically speaking, being on Veeky Forums) you are currently bitter and angry at the directions politics, society and your hobby of choice are going. It's easier to talk about being infinitely adeptable than it is to actually accept change.

>heat death of the Universe
Entropy must always increase, but the maximum entropy that can fit inside a given volume depends on its size, and the Universe is expanding. While adaptations will be necessary, it now seems likely it's always possible for life and civilization to exist by extracting energy from that expansion.

"Heat death" was based on naive understanding of physics.

Are there any books or movies about someone with immortality?
As in protagonist has some form of immortality?

Basically. Immortality might be awesome in the hands of a decent human being. Give it to the average neckbeard and he'll just spend every day for the rest of eternity going "meh, I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel like going on an adventure, for today I'll sleep and masturbate"

Boredom
Your hobbies will get stale after a few hundred years, then you'll have to move onto the next one. Eventually you'll run out of things to do, and then what? Depression and boredom for all eternity.

I've played CS for 3000 hours.
Still find it fun.
Boredom is a lie, just like you never get bored of sex.
Sure you might do things less.
Unless writer imbues you with bullshit to fit his narrative, like brain getting numb. What kind of immortality is that, where your brain can get dazed?
True immortality should make it easier for you to forever enjoy stuff, cause you can't get addicted. If you know anything about addiction you'd see what I mean.

Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne is pretty dope.

It'll take me AT LEAST 2000 years to get through my backlog.
And that's just the stuff I have now. Who knows what shit will come out later.

>just like you never get bored of sex.

I see someone's never had any.
Sex gets old fast, especially with the same chick

sex as in getting orgasm
Getting old affects it, if you didn't get old, your libido would forever be at your prime.
You see what I mean?
Immortality includes all aspects of your biology.
Brain will always respond to stuff like the first time you experienced it.

There's a difference between able to not die and being unable to die.
People are thinking about the latter when they say immortality is a curse, and they're right.

The difference is that you're taking a chance vs knowing that no matter what, you will never meet somebody that you wont see wither away. They get old. You stay young. How are you going to remember them? When you have met a million people, how can you tell the ones in your memories apart? The people you love will lose their importance, you wont be able to love anybody the same way anymore. Unless you get some kind of magical memory enhancement with immortality. But then you might as well have an ability that says "you will always have fun".

You're probably not gonna enjoy every single thing you can do unless you're completely retarded. Then we're left with activities that are normally enjoyed by humans. Are you truly gonna have fun with all of these? I know that there's several sports, genres of movies etc. that I do not enjoy, and most people have these kind of preferences.

>You will watch your loved ones pass away
this is a fucking given but its important to note
>As you get older so does how fast you perceive time passing. Centuries would pass like minutes for you after a certain point rendering you unable to have even something resembling a normal relationship with someone
>There is a VERY VERY REAL CHANCE you will get stuck some where, like a building will fall on you or you get trapped in a sink hole. unable to die you'll just sit there for god knows how long, possibly never escaping.
>if that doesn't happen you will live to see the death of mankind anyways, leaving you alone on a lifeless planet
>when the universe eventually collapses in on itself you would be unable to truly perceive anything with your human brain. your entire existence would devolve into an existential nightmare.

Forever is a long fucking time m8, try to keep that in mind

>only 12 day worth of playtime
Are you sure you wouldn't start to get bored after the first couple years of consistent play.
besides, I'm sure after the first thousand years, videogames as a concept would start to lose their luster.