Use X statistic in place of Y statistic for Z purpose

>use X statistic in place of Y statistic for Z purpose

>drawbacks that give you extra points/resources up-front

>extra actions, possibly from summons or minions

>multiattacks

>supremacy of going first and alpha striking enemies as the ultimate combat tactic

What game mechanics are almost always broken or overpowered in the RPGs they appear in?

Anyone?

Exactly how many RPGs you played other than D&D?

Not OP but I've had #3 be absolutely broken in a Savage Worlds supers game where one player is literally the backbone of the party's power. Savage Worlds is also inherently guilty of #2, as is almost every generic system I've seen. Fuck shit that lets you take RP-related drawbacks for hard-core number bonuses.

>use X statistic in place of Y statistic for Z purpose

You mean like D&D 5e letting you use Dex for anything light melee? I love playing dex-based melee fighters but for fucks sake getting it to damage by default? At least put *that* behind a feat wall. Dex to attack with light weapons is fine I guess. That's really what it should be anyway.

>Fuck shit that lets you take RP-related drawbacks for hard-core number bonuses.

This is only a problem if your GM doesn't make those RP-related drawbacks appropriately relevant.

No, this is not a "a good GM makes up for a shit system" excuse. This is just pointing out that RP-related drawbacks aren't a drawback if your GM can't be arsed to work them into the campaign at key moments.

>Fuck shit that lets you take RP-related drawbacks for hard-core number bonuses.
Why do no GMs actually enforce disadvantages? The player gave you free license to fuck with them, and most people skip right over it. If someone takes a group as enemies, and also a vow to someone, and a personality flaw where they're overly generous, then you can put them into so many situations that would fuck them over.

>At least put *that* behind a feat wall
Go fuck yourself.

>He's never heard of Ball of Arms Man

The only game I've ever seen extra actions be even slightly balanced in is Shadowrun.

But that's because anybody could just carry around a few huffers of Jazz or Cram to get a sudden burst of energy in a gunfight.

>Go fuck yourself.

No. A 1st level kobold retard should not be adding Dex to damage. That requires actual fucking training. Dex then becomes pretty much a god stat especially since AC is actually relevant in 5e.

>Why do no GMs actually enforce disadvantages?

Because most players take shitty retarded ones and try to foist their backstory into the campaign and don't collaborate with other players on them. Also, if you have to """enforce""" drawbacks then the player is just powergaming anyway, he didn't want to choose it for a good reason. Drawbacks for extra CP are like GMing for money, it makes the motivation for doing impure and everything fucks up from there.

>This is just pointing out that RP-related drawbacks aren't a drawback if your GM can't be arsed to work them into the campaign at key moments.

Except usually they either don't come up or the GM is trying to actually run a competent campaign and can't be arsed to include them, yes.

It is the PLAYER'S responsibility to roleplay his character AND be honest about disadvantages and actually play them because he wants to enjoy RPing them. If not, he shouldn't take them: thus, there really shouldn't be disadvantages that don't give a mechanical drawback, like blind or one-handed or child or whatevr the fuck.

>or the GM is trying to actually run a competent campaign and can't be arsed to include them
So you admit it's the fault of the GM for not enforcing the disadvantage, okay.

>the GM is trying to actually run a competent campaign and can't be arsed to include them
>competent campaign
>can't be arsed to include them
>competent
Maybe look over your players' sheets before accepting them, and actually discuss the expectations inherent in the campaign next time, you sub-mediocre fuck.

>Build your own class/weapon/vehicle/spell/etc rules

>Any system with sufficiently numerous options BECOMES a system with broken option, because although they were not before, the power to perfectly tailor enough things is more important than the power to blast things with big numbers

>Magical alternatives to mundane items and tasks

>Escalating PCs and enemies so far beyond the realm of standard humans, by level, power, wealth, or any other measure, that the common man ceases to have any significance

Are you -really- saying the DM should allow bullshit like the archetypical "nemesis" quality which focuses the spotlight on one player?

But dex has a lower ac cap AND lower damage weapons than strength.

A guy who maxed out at 20 dex is still worse off than the guy with 15 str and full plate.

>Build your own class/weapon/vehicle/spell/etc rules

Isn't this required for mecha games?

>oh nooooooooooooooooo
>players' backstories matter
>someone interacts with plot and doesn't follow my railroad
>this is horrible

>I love playing dex-based melee fighters but for fucks sake getting it to damage by default? At least put *that* behind a feat wall. Dex to attack with light weapons is fine I guess. That's really what it should be anyway.
NO FAGGOT FUCK YOU

MIGHT AS WELL DELETE ROGUES BARDS AND RANGERS AT THAT POINT SINCE FEATS ARE FUCKING OPTIONAL IN 5E

Let's get to the heart of the core here

This is about D&D post 2e

and there's one system that breaks the game outright in 3.x and 5e to an extent. In a world of might and magic, it sure as shit ain't might.

It can get pretty minimalistic, look at the BGC RPG which is pretty much Mekton stripped down of nearly everything to fit a specific purpose.

>broken
>supers game
Son, you are literally playing as superhero and complaining about being superhero. Everyone healthy back home?

All of the things in the OP are broken even out of D&D.

No. Dex to damage with ranged and finesse weapons as a native options is broken. STR is essentially a universally sub-par option UNLESS you have feats (polearm master, others). Otherwise everything except for the barbarian is strictly worse off using str instead of dexterity due to better saves, easier acess to ac, and the fact that the GODDAMN RAPIER IS A 1d8. For most classes, it's not even a choice (rogue and whatnot are obvious, but it's fucking hard to pull off a STR based skald bard or gish).

I changed my games somewhat. Ranged weapons and finesse weapons don't deal dex-to-damage, and bows/thrown use STR bonus to damage, as god intended. As a tradeoff, there are WAAAAAY more options for finesse based weapons (even some two-handed ones), but heavier finesse weapons have a STR rating that must be met first, ala Souls. Every time I play regular 5e it's rapierfest '17. Every time I run this ruleset I get people who make actually interesting combatants with unique fighting styles and distinct balances of attributes.