mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/...
How do we fix artificers?

Other urls found in this thread:

spheresofpower.wikidot.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey folks, my Wizard's career had an untimely end. What do I roll to round this party up?
Knowledge Cleric, Hunter Ranger(mostly melee), Assassin Rogue and a Champion Fighter.
We're lv6.

crafting rules that make sense for normal campaigns. how do they fare on other systems?

>How do we fix Artificers?
Make them Intelligent half-casters similar to Rangers and Paladins.

What said.

not-wizard aka lore bard.

Another cleric.

what's a good party/equipment to do a rescue hostage mission like a medieval SWAT or Rainbow 6 team?

Nothing but Fighters, Rogues, Barbarians, and Monks. No filthy casters allowed.
an AT or a Shadow Monk are fine but get that EK shit outta here

>what's a good party/equipment to do a rescue hostage mission like a medieval SWAT or Rainbow 6 team?

A different system. Stop using D&D 5e for everything you stupid fuck. If you are trying to play a modern-day game, play a goddamn modern day game. Why the fuck is this such a thing with pathfinder and D&D? Once these autistics learn the system they refuse to learn everything else and try to adapt an RPG meant for low-effort high-fantasy powerwankery, for something requiring actual thought and strategy, and as a result they fuck it up. They also can't get out of their D&D expectations so they constantly screw that up as well.

Use. A. Different. System. There are loads of options for what you want to do:

>GURPS
>Savage Worlds
>MiniSix
>any of the 40k games

A level 5 cleric with Revify spell prepared and a 750gp diamond.

Reposting from the other thread.
Just downloaded the 7 new classes PDF from the ENworld kick starter.

The classes are actually decent and Alchemist is arguably the best alchemist class write up I've seen. I was excited for cardcaster as well and its amazing.

Still going through the 45 subclasses.

So are you going to post it, or not?

Change that bloody level 6 feature and make artificers not so dependent on it.

Make gunsmiths not shite and give them things like loadable grapple hooks, flour, rocket jump style shots or other ideas of which I've forgotten.

Don't give them automatic thieves' tools proficiency. Let rogues get that. Just regular thieves' tools proficiency, maybe give artificer an intellect skill expertise to make up for it.

Replace attunement-related features, make artificers be able to remake their magic items and their magic items not need attunement.

posted on the other thread but no one answered:

I want to try to DM for the first time and introduce some friends to D&D, but i don't think i can get a proper 4-5 players party, at max 3.

i've been reading about the adventurer's league encounters and the first one (defiance at phlan) seems pretty good to introduce players to the game. several one-shots of about an hour, designed to take players from lvl 1 to 2 and highlighting factions and different kinds of gameplay.

how about this idea of running these with 3 players so they can get to lvl 2 and after that get them to play lost mines of phandelver?

>he thinks you can't run a modern game in 5E
I can do this real easy. Check it:
>no magic-casting classes or archetypes
>add future-relevant skills like Computers
wew, really broke the ol' creativity bank on that one
gonna need a nap after that

I think in a few months, I'll finally be able to convince my players to try 4e and escape this shithole of an edition.

I have one single (you) for low quality shitposters

>not playing 54e

>hp bloat
>classes
>no gun mechanics

Yeah you're a fucking retard. 5e doesn't work for modern games. Deal with it. Better yet, read d20 Modern and realize that fact even more.

Did someone make one yet? I've been on and off working on it.

Good luck.

>Change that bloody level 6 feature and make artificers not so dependent on it.
Isn't that just there to give you a robot horse? How is the artificer dependent on it.

>he thinks classes disappeared in the modern era

>try 4e and escape this shithole of an edition.

But D&D 5e and D&D 4e have like 90% overlap. The only difference really is the hit dice. The hp bloat is still there, the pussified math is still there, the retarded once-per-day fighter abilities are still here, the healing surges (sorry, """"hit dice""") are still here, and so is the pussy ass "you can't die until you reach -1xHP because it would make the normies cry" bullshit.

Also make healing draught less of a 'only option' to start with. More concoctions and maybe an extra choice of concoction.

It can be a robot allosaur or whatever that deals a fair bit of damage, runs fast (You can sit on it and go fast) and might knock enemies prone in the process.
More than 50% of your damage will come from it when you first get it.

Meanwhile, while you're sort of a support anyway, the only class you might be able to compare to in damage is the monk.

>He thinks a fighter with 200 hp will be threatened by guys with guns
>he thinks D&D's shitty slog of padded-sumo combat will give the tension of a dangerous gunfight
>he would rather spend hours homebrewing than take 1 hour to learn a new system that works for his idea right out of the box

are you dense or what? i didn't mean exactly to run a modern game

i meant, there's for example a piece of equipment in the PHB, i think that serves like a portable ram for doors. i imagined a fighter or paladin in heavy armor being at the front, with a tower shield. A non/magic user with several items (don't know if there's some item that can serve as a flashbang) and a fighter, wielding light crossbows and a ranger with a heavy crossbow or a longbow sniping from the back.
i even saw a trinket that is a metal box with two contacts that emit some sparks, so i think that could be used like a makeshift taser.

>robot horse
>not giant frog and riding in style in your mount's mouth, completely safe from the outside world.

I really hope you're shitposting, for your sake

I think I'm being b8ed here, but I'll take a shot at a legitimate response. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, please don't abuse my trust!

5e's balance is back to caster superiority. Combat wise, 5e is balanced around martials taking the same actions over and over again, while casters have a wide variety of cantrips (though casters are still largely expected to use the most damaging cantrip over and over and over again). It makes for really boring combat, and caster domination outside of combat. 4e fixes these critical issues for me. The problems you seem to have with both editions are accurate, but they don't concern me. I like those features.

Does /4eg/ have the same 5e shit posters as we have it?

Where the HELL are the general DCs of skill checks?

>a fighter with 200 hp will be threatened by guys with guns
Well, yeah. They're not using muskets.

Kids these days, can't appreciate the more old-fashioned DnD themes.

What's the best way to make a Summoner in 5e?

conjuration wizard

Necromancer
Make an army of zombies+skeletons
Win.

>not being an Artificer / Beastmaster Ranger whose mechanical companion is actually power armor for their animal companion
>riding around on an armored bear with mechanically-assisted strength and an enclosed turret that you've mounted your thundercannon to

Human Moon Druid
Resilient Con, then Warcaster
Build up GBP from levels 1-4 (and potentially levels 5 and 6)
Conjure Animals, shift into a fat ass bear that probably won't fail saves, and hope for Wolves or something for infinite pack tactics, DON'T SPEND ALL YOUR GBP HERE, YOU NEED IT FOR LEVEL 7
At level 7 dump all your GBP into Conjure Woodland Beings for pixies, and cast Polymorph on everyone while making the other pixies fly away invisible for later use.

>getting this upset about people using a system
>not reccomending Cyberpunk 2020 for modern gunplay stuff
>being this much of a plebian

Redo them as a full spellcaster, with more spells like Healing Elixir.

Cleric and refluff Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians and etc.

5e doesn't handle summoners well and everyone at the table will hate you. No one wants to sit through your 9 rounds of stroking yourself off while you command a small army.

If you really want to be a giant faggot then there's a UA Druid specifically designed around summoning. Circle of the Shepard or something.

Reminder that rangers need to be removed from the game

i know is not 5e, but which edition of cyberpunk is the best/easiest to run?

Mystic with the Elemental Masteries.

Summon Elementals and Shadows, Shadows being OP as fuck

>But D&D 5e and D&D 4e have like 90% overlap.

You 4ree cucks do know you're general is that way right? It sucks that your system had such a bad release that no one plays it but that's your problem.

I like both 4e and 5e so I shall stay, but rest assured the so-called "4ree cucks" are obviously just trying to make 4e look worse. For some arbitrary unknown reason

Is there any 5e creatures with multiple types? ie: "Undead Construct", or "Humanoid Abberation"

Fiend shapechanger is a thing.

Don't think so, it's normally easy enough to determine what the right type is. I'd say Undead or Construct would depend on how you feel about the creature being weak to things traditional Undead are weak to, so if you want it turnable or more organic then Undead otherwise Construct.

For Humanoid Aberration it would just be Aberration.

For some men, the editon war never ended. They can't accept a world without banal shitposting, so they become shitposting itself. They don't know how to be happy anymore.

shapechanger isn't really a type, its more of a subtype or something.

I play 5e, but I like 4e better.

Artificers are an inherently bad concept for a class. Alchemists are by their nature men who spend their all their time in a laboratory reading books and doing experiments, not fighting and adventuring. To make them work as a D&D class, they get transformed from {pic related} into a magical grenadier. It's an awkward solution to an unnecessary problem.

As for the gunsmith, the problem is that it's only appropriate in high fantasy, steampunk/clockwork settings. Most people don't play those. Unless you want to play as a magician/gunslinger/inventor and the DM is running Eberron or something similar, it's useless.

This dude has the right idea. Give magic users the option to concoct alchemical acid or craft a Decanter of Endless Water.

Nope.

Look at things like a flesh golem (which'd be most similar to an undead construct), or mind flayers (humanoid aberration), or dracoliches (undead dragon)

In all of these cases, they've only got one type.

I'm puzzling how to write an alternate magic system that works similar to SoP. (Straight conversion isn't feasible) The warlock seems useful as a base due to the similarities.

Would anyone be interested?

You can't command conjurations while in Wild Shape unless they're the same as your wild shape and your dm rules that while you wild shape into a cow you can speak Burgers

What's SoP?

>Magicians are an inherently bad concept for a class. Wizards are by their nature men who spend their all their time in a laboratory reading books and doing experiments, not fighting and adventuring.

That said, I'd kitbash it up under magic rules too, like you 'prepare' a potion of water breathing that only lasts a day instead of the spell water breathing.

what to take for lvl 16 Paladin Oath of Ancient ASI
Stats: 18, 6, 18(20, Belt of Dwarven Kind), 10, 12, 20
Sword and Broad.

The issue is they're not really what Artificers were in older editions, they're some shitty generic steampunk options that don't need to be their own class.

Really it should be either a full or half caster with the infuse magic as their only method of casting. Requiring more planning out of how to use their magic.

Also probably about Cleric levels of melee combat with medium armour and something similar to the Nature Cleric's version of Divine Strike.

Once all that's done I'd say they should have the tool expertise and increased attunement slots. The magic items they craft should be recoverable on a long rest.

Then give them some unique spells. Make a few subclasses focused on using buffs and weapons, one with better casting potential and maybe a pet one.

One of my players is interested in playing something similar to a medium from pathfinder.
For those not familiar, mediums could allow different spirits to possess them in order to pretty radically change their abilities from day-to-day, switching from dpr to tank to mage or whatever.
Is there anything I can do to accommodate them?

So how about that official Kung-Fu Bears ruling?

STR??????

Tell him he's not playing PF? Tell him to read the fucking book and pick his own class?

Order them to accept commands via bear sign language, and grunts. Or just defer them to a different party member. Or just give them a code of conduct like "kill anyone killing us".

Bearly oficial

Natural Weapon attacks aren't considered Unarmed Strikes

Tell him to play a warlock like a normal person

Mystic

PAM, pick up a quarterstaff.
Or sentinel.
Or mobile.
Or shield master.

Spheres of Power, I assume.
You have a number of spheres (natch) like Death, Life, Explosions, etc., which have Talents you can grab more of over time. Your basic 'costless' magic is limited by these talents, but you also have a stack of points you can drop for bigger, more powerful effects (again limited in scope by spheres and talents).
Basically, if you're a fire mage, you don't have to dick around preparing just fire spells, you can light things on fire whenever, shoot mediocre fireballs whenever, and if you grab the stuff later, fly on jets of flame or whatever. When things get rough, you can boost up your abilities with a limited resource, or do harder stuff.

He's already familiar with 5e, but he liked mediums flavorfully and never tried one in his pathfinder days.
Besides it sounds pretty cool to me if I can make it work.

Well no class can really change their powers day-by-day that radically. I guess a Cleric could be refluffed as spiritual stuff and change their spell list?

What are fun feats for a paladin?
I rolled high stats, and so I want to take the luxury of enjoying the game rather than pay my optimization tax

Help me balance this shit Feat.

>Psionic Initiate
>You've got a hueg brain

>You learn one Talent and one Discipline from the Mystic list
>You have ??? psi points you can spend on this ability per long rest

The difficult part being balancing it compared to Magic Initiate, since unlike Magic Initiate it's not a single spell and Disciplines have several effects.

Something along the lines of only giving 2 PSI points seems about right for a level 1 spell.

Should non-Mystics be able to use the Focus of the discipline or nah?

So...more or less exactly how the Mystic works?

Mystic

Give 'em Psi points equal to their Int modifier.

>flavorfully
So, he likes the idea of daily making new pacts with spirits, or is it specifically the changing your class?

That would work if he could switch archetypes and disciplines around maybe.
I've never really considered what the ramifications of letting a player do something like that would be.

Yes, precisely. I want to write a system like that for 5e. There don't seem to be many alternate casting systems. The only one I could find was "raw magic" which just made magic more powerful. I want to limit the utility spells by forcing casters to specialize by theme like "summoning", "destruction" or "healing". Otherwise, making martials more useful a la Tome of Battle, Path of War, or Spheres of Might is also attractive.

More the changing abilities.
Flavorfully really wasn't the right word.

That could work, and it'd limit them to the equivalent of a 3rd level spell.

The idea is for it to be a useful pick for various classes and also be a decent pick for Mystics themselves looking to get a bit more ability, same as a WIZ or EK taking Magic Initiate for more Cantips and an extra level 1 spell slot.

Get your refluff pants on user.

Hello, does anyone have any maps or floor plans etc of insane asylums? I'm thinking Kirkbride style rambling gothic architecture

Mystics get quite a few Disciplines already and can switch out one every level for a new one. Just flavor it so changing disciplines is like a new spirit possessing them.

>Magicians are an inherently bad concept for a class. Wizards are by their nature men who spend their all their time in a laboratory reading books and doing experiments, not fighting and adventuring.

I can think of many fictional wizards who went on adventures and slaying monsters: Merlin, Väinämöinen, Gandalf, etc. I can't think of any alchemists who are famous for doing that sort of thing.

Yeah I guess this'll work. Thanks.

Also I just looked at the actually medium and holy fuck I forgot how much I hated pathfinder.

It seems so. Somewhere between the Mystic and the Warlock?

You can read about Spheres of Power (PF) here: spheresofpower.wikidot.com

There's also Path of War and Spheres of Might for martials.

There's a perfect one straight out of Curse of Strahd

Saint Markovia's Abbey

What spells should I yoink as a WuJen Mystic?

So far I've got
>Dispel Magic
>Shield
>Animate Dead?

Animate Dead could go well with the Mastery of Light and Darkness to make an edgemaster "nothin personell" Mystic.

My players have already played Curse of Strahd and I was hoping for something a bit bigger, but its a good idea nonetheless thank you

Oh duh, how could I forget

>Counterspell

Dispel Magic, Shield, and Counterspell seem like the best overall spells to take considering most other abilities can be emulated by Disciplines.

can you get counterspell?
counterspell is always the correct choice.

>(a) leather armor or (b) studded leather armor
What the fuck.

yeah, right?

They were probably going to put some medium armor there before remembering that not all archetypes get medium armor proficiency.