Magic vs. Yugioh

Redpill me on the pros vs. cons of each card game, Veeky Forums. I'm choosing which to play and not partial to either right now.

Magic is objectively a better run game
You will enjoy YuGiOh more if you are a weeb

They're both shit.

>Magic is objectively a better run game

Okay but WHY

WHY? What alternatives do you prefer, if any?

>Redpill me
kill you're self

yugioh is unbalanced as all fuck. there are like 12 different ways to ohko someone its ridiculous and only has ournament rules and no bans

magic has a lot of formats and a variety of different ways to play but keeping up with the standard format can get expensive.

Not him, but all card games comes with inherent problems, like balance and affordability on the more "aged" formats, what are you looking for?

Hold out for the new edition of L5R, get in while it's fresh and not a watered down mess of standards and rotating bans like YGO and Magic both are.

Yugioh lets you go crazy with combos which might be to your speed.

you have no idea what you are talking about with yugioh, except for the amount of wombo combos. It was better back in the day when it was a little slower to build up. But

> its ridiculous and only has ournament rules and no bans

is wrong

Both are shit, but this comes from a person who doesn't like card games in general. Because as time goes on, newer cards come out and after awhile any sense of balance gets broken. So, in both you'll find either a lot of imbalanced shit which you will need a lot of money/luck to compete with, or you find a lot of rules lawyering on what cards/decks can or cannot be used.

It's just a mess and costs a lot of money. If that's your thing go for it, but I prefer a hobby that isn't quite so fickle and constantly shifting around and fucking me over unless I can pay enough to keep up. It just isn't worth it.

Pokemon is cheaper than both and fun if you enjoy powerful drawing/searching effects.

yugioh is unbalanced as fuck and the newest deck is always the strongest. on the bright side its cheap to play

magic is too expensive to get into for 90% of the population but if you enjoy paying over a grand for a deck its the game for you

also on a side note pokemon is cheap af and you can play it online in your underwear at 3am for next to no money (redeemable codes cost like a dollar)

In Yu-Gi-Oh, your starting hand either makes or breaks you. Hope you like what you got because there's no mulligan. Players get up to three turns each game and by that point, someone has gone off hard. However, Konami actually manages to reprint expensive things every here and there. Whether it's a tin or a structure deck, you'll get what you're looking for and then some for $30.

Games of Magic can end because you got no land or too much land. Sure, you build your deck to reduce that chance and shuffle properly to reduce it further, but sometimes it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. The secondary market has picked up a nasty case of Zionism over the last five or six years, so getting into the game is horrendous.
Oh, but don't mention that anywhere but Veeky Forums because people will actually defend the prices and the way they keep climbing. Oh, and don't get your hopes up for Wizards putting more of these cards out there, their reprint policy is something like:
>okay, every year, let's make a set that's purely reprints, but we'll only put up to ten cards that are in dire need of a price reduction, we'll give the set a limited print run, and we'll charge more than usual for the packs
Being able to mulligan at the start of a game means you don't have to just accept losing because the top seven cards of your deck were all lands. There's even strategy to mulliganning, which makes it a very interesting concept. How quickly games end is dependent on the decks involved and there's much more removal to be found in Magic so that you can stop your opponent from winning on turn two. You also have a greater selection of formats with different rulesets so you can find something you like.

magic is way too expensive to get into. unless you have been playing for at least 10 year already (realistically its more like 15) you will never be able to afford to play 90% of the formats. standard (the rotating "most popular" format) has also been utter garbage for like 3 years now and shows no signs of improving. i dont know anything about yugioh but magic is fair to expensive to get into unless you are a retard who likes paying $900 at MINIMUM for a deck that will probably be banned at some point in the future because WotC thinks no one plays their shitty game because its stale meta instead of the retarded cost of entry

>Oh, but don't mention that anywhere but Veeky Forums because people will actually defend the prices and the way they keep climbing.
a lot of people on Veeky Forums defend it too

If you're looking for a game you can play casually with some mates and have a good time, I'd say Magic. Specifically the Commander format. It's a super casual format that allows almost any card, can be played with up to like five people, and is a lot of fun in my experience.

>implying casual yugioh isn't the epitome of fun

Okay so from this thread I got that:

Magic
>Way too expensive and therefore extremely unfriendly for newbies
>Standard is awful and has been for a while
>Slower, more control oriented game

Yugioh
>Cheaper than Magic
>Meta is fucking awful too and decks are constantly banned in favor of the newest thing
>Really fast, comb-oriented game where you can easily lose in one turn

I'll add some, too:

>Way too many fucking thieves at Yugioh events
>Awful community for Yugioh in general
>Magic has awful photo-realistic art for some cards and Yugioh has awful waifushit for some cards

Duelmasters was always the better game

Light civ represent

>tfw I played that game as a kid right as it came out
>that feeling when I pulled a Bolsahck Dragon from a pack

>Meta is fucking awful too and decks are constantly banned in favor of the newest thing

Zoo gets Drident and Barrage banned, Rat limited so that people BUY LINKS, still manages to top events. True Draco, True King Dinosaurs and Zoodiac aren't the newest decks. Links are, and no one is using them.

>Bolsahck Dragon

A ballsack dragon?

>armored dragon memes

Guardians were the true kings. Ladin bale 2good.

>Players get up to three turns each game and by that point, someone has gone off hard.

Which is why Sphinx decks are so fucking fun. Nothing beats constantly bouncing some asshole trying to get off his combo and there's enough similar cards you can reliably draw one with the effect you need. You can turn a five minute game into a half hour one without much effort and whittle your opponent away with a couple of attacks here and there. Toss in a couple of jars, some trap cards to deny magic and trap effects, and some rock field cards and the whole thing is a great, cheap, troll deck. Your opponent can't get off their bullshit combo if they literally can't have more than one card on the field at a time.

MTG is only pricey if your an obsessive prick who thinks he needs the best cards at all times.
Find some friends you can play, explore playstyles, and try out different formats with in a casual environment, and just build budget decks until you save up and want to build a more competitive deck.

Yu-gi-oh isn't pricey, but most decks end up winning through brute strength (usually your decks best creature, The "insert adjective here" Dragon) MTG's got some weird win conditions by comparison, but you could still use dragons if you want.

Wow. There's a lot of things wrong with your post
>Sphinx
The only sphinxes you're thinking of completely fucking suck. Unless you mean Triamid, which still fucking suck.
>asshole trying to combo off
Every top deck has access to handtraps. Shit, Maxx C, Ghost Ogre and a good chunk of Psy-Frame will stop pretty much everything. The best deck right now is one that relies entirely on backrow and hand traps to get anywhere.
>toss in a couple of jars
You haven't played in a long long time. All the good jars are banned.
>some traps to deny magic and trap
Good luck stopping Strikes and Barriers from preventing your plays. Or getting Ghost Ogre'd. Shit man, read Twin Twister.

The best cheap troll deck is a Barrier Statue deck or Chain Burn

It's been a while, but it worked in every game I played. It's a cheap gag deck you play in casual, not against top tier guys tournament ready. I've literally never run into Twin Twister in my whole life. It's a deck for making your dumbass friend who thinks he's hot shit mad, not winning top matches.

Which is the point. Barrier Statues will stop special summons. Sphinxes will stop anything on the field one at a time. The look on your opponents face when they keep throwing away their own cards while you fill your side of the field is better trolling than having an effect that's more efficient.

I'd just like to mention the glorious fun of Obama decks, you need yugioh to do that. Or cyber dragons decks, back in the day I used one and could normally get an 8000 Atk monster out in one turn. However that means nothing in the game with tribute to the doomed as a card along with cards that can be activated in the grave.

Most magic decks cost more than a down payment on a car, you would have to be an idiot to buy into that.

>yugioh is unbalanced as fuck and the newest deck is always the strongest.
Good meme. How long were Burning Abyss in the top tier, even after other busted archetypes came out?

I don't really agree that the meta is awful all the time. Zoodiacs were overtly powerful but before they hit the TCG there was a good spread of decks to choose from.

I think for the more flavor oriented people here are some more magic/yugioh notes:
Magic
>Actually has a consistent world where the backstory takes place, though the Jacetice league may make this a downside right now
>New art is generally consistent with the worlds they exist in, old art can vary from RKF to Foglio
>Flavor text on all kinds of cards
>Actually has artist credit right on the card
>Legendary cards, if you care about something like that

Yugioh
>No consistent world, some cards have flavor interactions with other cards but it's generally anything goes and varies from archetype to archetype. Not necessarily a bad thing, it means they can do whatever they want.
>Artstyle can turn on a dime to fit what they're trying to do, so there's a pretty good variety of kinds of art to look at
>Artist credit is nonexistent
>Flavor text on vanillas only, which are printed much less often than others
>Other than stars/stats/powerful effects, nothing like Legendary to make your cards truly special snowflake

As for lore, what about all the different Duel Terminal storylines?
Everything from the different clans fighting off the Worms to the rise of the Qliphorts and Infernoids is connected.
Sure the DT archetypes are only a small fraction of the whole, but they're there.

So here's a basic thing to know about the difference between Magic the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh.

In Magic almost all cards have a cost associated with playing them, you have to pay some amount of mana to play each card. The mana comes from land cards, which usually cost no mana, and can produce 1 each turn.

Yu-Gi-Oh essentially has no inherent cost mechanic like that so every card defaults to having no cost. This means that in order for a card to cost something different from another card they essentially have to come up with some cost for the card. It's often that in order to get big, powerful monsters you have to sacrifice other monsters, perhaps some specific ones to get your big dude.

While I don't know exactly how Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh has developed, I haven't played either in years, I feel as though Yu-Gi-Oh is just inherently more wonky because it doesn't have a core price mechanic. This is also what has often lead to these "one turn win" decks, the fact that there's very little limit on the number of cards you can play in one turn while in magic you tend to just not have much mana turn one.

>Magic is expensive.
Its really not.

if you want Veeky Forums's opinion its generally:
>Magic is good because its Magic
>yugioh is bad because its not magic.

i'm primarily a yugioh player but i've played a good deal of magic with friends. The best way i can describe a difference between yugioh and magic is that Magic is definitely more about building resources, strategizing for whats going to happen several turns from now, and more careful plays. In magic you definitely feel more like a general of an army than a combatant.
This is opposed to yugioh, where the furthest a player plans is 2 turns in the future, duels can turn on a dime, the right card could destroy everything your opponent has done, and the right card could bring you from nothing to victory. The cards feel more like an extension of the player rather than units they're controlling. in this way yugioh is more like a direct combat between 2 people.
I feel like a fag saying it like that, but its the best way i can describe it.
>tldr; Magic is 2 generals in battle. Yugioh is 2 fighters duking it out.

The DT is the largest, sure, and I thought that Konami would attempt to integrate everything into DT as they continued, but the True Draco thing seems to show that they're willing to do a completely different kind of story intermittently. We didn't get many DT cards during the True Draco stuff at all, and the Draco stuff was its own storyline completely.

So while DT is the largest and will probably continue to be, I can't say that it is the "main" backstory to YGO.

DT is so gosh darn cool, I love every moment of it.

YGO doesn't have resources built in on the cards like Magic does, but that makes the cards rely more heavily on other "resources" like the hand, grave, or even deck.

While Magic has reliance on those things as well (After all, it doesn't matter how much mana you have if you have no hand) YGO's lack of limitations at the base level shifts the focus to the other "resources." That's why drawing cards (especially in a generic card that can be put in any deck) in YGO is so heavily regulated: it's much like fast mana in Magic.

If you want a good example of "resources" in YGO, look up Infernoid decks. They have focus on the graveyard as a resource primarily: They can't be summoned normally and have to eat each other in the grave. This makes the graveyard a HUGE resource to the deck, and most of the good Infernoid decks focus on filling up the grave as fast as possible (Like Lawn Mowing or whatever the name was localized to).

Same, user.
Sad it'll probably end soon, considering the introduction of Zefratorah Grammaton/Zefraath and the fact that True Kings/Dracos are more dominant.
I'm really tired of Mustard Peas, though.

Here.

>Current Yugioh meta decks range from $300 to $700
>Current Magic meta decks range from $1000 to $2500

Wow... that's a serious turn off for Magic. Too bad Yugioh is infested with a shitty paper community.

>>Current Yugioh meta decks range from $300 to $700
>>Current Magic meta decks range from $1000 to $2500

???

Yugioh only has one format, magic has three main competitive ones and several others prices aren't fixed like that

Just play them on simulators.

Or try them out in simulators to test for which one is more fun, then buy them if you really wanna play physical TCGs.

Magic+Yugioh= Force of Will

FoW is what you are searching for

Listen to this man. As someone who has played both games he is spot on and everyone else in this thread is just shit flinging like they would at a LGS

>>Current Magic meta decks range from $1000 to $2500
If you play legacy, yeah.

>Magic is so expensive

Only if you're playing competitive. You do realize that not everybody needs a top-tier deck, right?

OP, if you're not playing tournaments, MtG seems to actually be the (slightly) cheaper option. If you buy cards individually, prices can be mixed, but they're usually not indecently expensive (provided they're not Reserved and aren't TOP-TIER competitive) and prices on the newest cards drop off for a while when they fall off standard two years down the line. But this is more or less true for YGO as well.

If you buy boosters, though, Wizards is giving you a much better deal: 15 for $5, as opposed to YGO's 9 for $5.

In addition, MtG has more variety with its many formats of play.

Honestly, at non-competitive play, price isn't that much of an issue, so go with the game that has the playstyle that suits you. YGO is more random and chaotic, Magic is more strategic and planned.

Having been a player of both for a long time I can say that in my state the communities are equally horrible. If you want a nice community you will have to play something relatively unknown to the masses.

Casual play of both games are fun though, if you can find a like minded group who doesn't have to have max copies of the best cards in every deck.

I sold all my magic cards a few years back to get into tabletop so I don't plan on returning. The game got stale for me, I made a lot of money off the ones I casually collected from booster packs, but it hurts to see the prices rise like crazy for some things in cold snap I had tons of copies of. It turned into a game of value cards where people spent more time trying to figure out what silly card would be worth shitloads in the future. I regret selling my goyfs for only $40 each...

Yugioh I just play for shits and giggles now. A decent amount of fun for a children's card game. When I was a teen I was embarrassed to be seen playing it and hated the first gens art and horrible translation. Now approaching 30 I find those faults to be an endearing aspect and enjoy the silly combos.

Both are shit, waste your money on something else.

>no bans

Are you literally retarded. Yugioh has had a banlist for over ten years now.

Yugioh is far more sillier and enjoyable because of this.

you can get a ygo troll deck from scratch for like $30 that will top in most tournaments

As for OPs question:
former YGO player here, I just completely gave up on the game because the gotta go fast methodology Konami has been applying just doesn't appeal to me. I enjoy games that last more turns with a slower build up and a bigger pay-off. To me it's more satisfying to prepare a big monster summon than to cycle through your whole deck on the first 2 turns.

Early YGO is like what I described, modern YGO (2008-09 and further) is a lot faster paced. You can still manage to get slower matches but only if you purposely nerf both decks.
Personally I just play a non-official format where you just grab 40 cards from an assorted tin full of cards and play from there. That's the only way you can have unique duels every time anyway.

this