Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Gunslinger edition

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

What's a good archetype for a sneaky gunslinger?

Gulch Gunner, Ironically.

Bolt Ace 5 then Urban Barbarian, in my book.

Guns are loud, crossbows are quiet. Urban Barbarian has controlled rage so you can still sneak while raging.

Based mods

Uh don't have the responses anymore but
first batch of mini reviewanon time.
Keep in mind this is just like, my opinion man.

Emilia
>probably one of my favorite succubus apps due to keeping the lewd subdued and implied
>personality is a bit janky, shy and quiet but carefree and cheery mix weirdly imo but her quirks are interesting
Romulus
>Romulus, Remus and Lupa is a bit on the nose don’t you think?
>A bit of a generic ex-knight but room to grow and good backstory, good connection to Remus for easy plot hooks.
Allanz
>he’s alright/10, nothing really jumped out to me as interesting.
>if he keeps trudging along with perfectionist tendencies in campaign he could make for good conflict.
Lucius
>major complaint here, sister is not mentioned by name until third paragraph. Left me with no clue who Elise was until I reread it.
>he’s a good fit to the campaign in terms of a knight who had his ideals dashed but we have a lot of those
Ecaterina
>probably one of the most detailed apps that still makes for a relatively easy read.
>possibly too detailed? The how it came to this section is particularly long
>one of my favorites though
Cijiska
>I’m biased, her app and mine have a lot in common.
Crytha
>gnoll-mom
>a bit thin background but still a good character in terms of personality, could use some spice in the history

more coming, eating delicious chicken soup

True, though i'm sure there's 'silencers'

If anything, try to use Gunslingers of Porphyra for Jollyslingers.

Were we told why the thread was pruned? I suspect the rolling posts were /qst/ material.

Other guy here. Are Bolt Ace, Gulch Gunner, Musket Master, and Pistolero the only good Gunslinger archetypes?

in 1pp, yes

Mysterious Stranger is ok too

There is oil of silence which makes guns completely silent

Is it possible to build a character specializing in pocket sand?

Is there an item you could buy to use? Like a bag of sand or broken glass or something?

White and based mods

Gun-Tank is really good too.

The only 1P silencer is using oil of silence or the silence spell.

Bolt Ace doesn't need the support of party mages though it never hurts and doesn't need to keep stocked on oils. If your DM allows for Minotuar Double Crossbow cheese it's almost better than normal slinger in every way minus not targeting touch ac. Which, if you are sneaking, flat-footed works fine too.

Keep up the good work user, those of us who don't get picked will at least be able to know someone read what we made and had thoughts on it!

There should be blindpowder as an item, or its named something similar. Alchemists can increase DCs for crafted items, some wizards can, monks are most effective at delivering them though.

minotaur double crossbow cheese is almost always banned

Its called 'Dirty Trick' combat maneuver you spergs. Make a build around that and pocket sand face

It was most likely a backlog of reports from when the thread began that they only just got around to doing. Speaking of which, I think I have one last game in me for the night before I need to go to bed, anyone that wants to play roll me up a d13 if you would be so kind.

>Gnoll-mom
>a bit thin background

Agreed. Really honest, a Level 1 start REALLY constrains backstory options, and I think I was already stretching it with having her being the daughter of a shamaness, but it's too late for that now! I'm gonna wait for Sleep to make picks!

I know. Still, even with a light crossbow vs a musket The Bolt Ace doesn't suffer much. Lower die damage and one less crit multiplier but higher crit range, easier to find ammo source and mostly silent.

>Romulus, Remus and Lupa is a bit on the nose don’t you think?
Truth be told, I'm a sucker for Greek and Roman mythology and I thought Romulus fit a man who wouldn't take bullshit. Plus, it wouldn't feel right to have Romulus without Remus or the wolf.

I agree, if it makes you feel any better I ran into the opposite problem.

If you want advice, a paragraph about someone gnoll-mom was close to in her tribe would be what I would suggest.
I'm mostly poking fun.
I usually swap names around or go for similar sounding names. Like Luca instead of Lupa.

Does a backline caster have any use for a masterwork weapon? Would it just be a waste of gold?

Oh I thought you were doing all of them but you've already skipped a bunch

This looks fun. You're cool. Keep at it. I can't wait to see if you declare which is best C@

What is the one feature you want out of Starfinder, to make your wildest concept come true!

past level 1-5 you should have at least a magic weapon. If you get caught with no spells (it can happen, through spells that remove prepared spells, antimagic locations, running out) you will have no defense. If your friends are caught in spiderwebs, you can cut them out. If something is immune to magic you will want it. If someone EATS magic you will want one.

Even if you don't use your +1 staff for much, its aweful cheap for a useful item.

It's all good, amigo.
I oughta do that the next time I blatantly reference mythological figures.

Me not being a GM
PoW Errata

May as well ask again.
Have you ever attempted to stat a deity?
How did it go for you?
I was inspired by 3.5 Deities and Demigods to give it a shot and now I'm pulling my hair out.

Depends how much cash you have honestly
Having a keen spellstoring longsword of speed +5 strapped to you is just style points even if you won't use it

I just want to play a glamrock space captain with a keytar, or space dandy. Jedis are cool too.

Deity powerlevels are really dumb high so it's more a matter of how much you want to wank them

which deity. You can likely have a lot of stats already done because of the currently statted gods. Odin, thor, zeus, poseidon. All of those were statted in 3.5, both the avatar and the actual gods.

What deity are you working on, user?

to keep it simple I'm skipping over ones without availability and ones I'm less familiar with

I'll be coming back to the available ones who I haven't covered yet and I'll do others based on requests in case anyone wants my opinion.

I wanted to keep the backstory short, but if I could go back and add anything- that would probably be it. The close person would likely have been her mate that she was obligated to take because she's a shamaness, but as I said, too late to add that in now. Maybe I'll make a note of it if I get picked

This. You can also get a defending weapon, or a spellstoring weapon, or a deflecting weapon. Tons of useful stuff.

Originally, I was going to do Vritra, but quickly gave up on that.
I figured I would try something a little more ambiguous with a lot of wiggle room. So now I'm trying to do Pathfinder's The Lantern King.

You do understand how divinity stated out works, right? Essentially the only thing you can actually defeat of a proper god is their avatars

I haven't actually played high level casters. I know that martials will want to stack bonuses on weapons and armor. What do casters go for, aside from the mental headbands? Are the various scrolls and wands and material components somewhat equal in spending to a martial upgrading his magical weapons?

Don't even start on indian shit

Metamagic rods are a good cash sink, There's a 30k Ioun stone that increases CL by +1

Numerous deities are stated. However these are mostly demigods.

The four horseman, the archfiends, some arisen, some demon lords, and more.

For actual true deities it varies hugely. Some are much more powerful than others. The Starstone gods would be weaker than gods who participated and survived the conflict with The Rough Beast, and they in turn weaker than gods who participated in The War In Heaven.

Four Horsemen aren't legit gods
They're just really fucking strong immortals

Do barbarians wear armour? If not, should they have shields?

They're demigods, they can power clerics. They're on the same level as the Archfiends and most demon lords.

>Do barbarians wear armour?

Most of them do, they get Medium Armor Proficiency.

Do you guys ever name villain builds? I do for most of the villains when I GM. I use the name naming scheme as Jojo often by using song names.

What do you use?

I was doing it just for the hell of it. Now I'm doing it because I'm in too deep.

If you aren't gonna do a Come and Get Me build? Pick up a Breastplate, you aren't gonna need the DEX. If you ARE? Pick something lighter so you can benefit from your DEX to AC

Honestly, casters get some of the cooler stuff. You can get robes, headbands, hats, boots, along with wands and scrolls. Pearls of power, metamagic rods, and you can also get actual staves that do cool stuff, and allow you to save your combat spell slots to use for cool stuff. You don't have to upgrade your weapons too much, but you can spend that cash on more wondrous items to be wizardly.

>not showing off your scars by going into battle naked

You can usually get medium armor with no penalties besides speed, but thats offset by your higher base speed. You can also do come and get me builds which are pretty much the superior way to play barbarian. Also increase your magic defense with the superstition tree, ending in spellsunder, and the invulnerable rager archetype is generally considered the best barbarian archetype and thematically the coolest. Your muscles are so big you block damage.

This is at 1st level. I just can't imagine ever being in a position where I'd want to hit something with my masterwork 1d6 walking stick and my 0 STR modifier. I feel like I'd probably be dead at that point one way or another.

I have about ~600gp to work with.

You're probably not going to have enough Dex to actually worry about exceeding the cap of a Breastplate by the time your main build starts to finish out, even if you ARE going for the C&GM build.

Oh. Don't bother with masterwork weapons. Get masterwork skill tools. If I recall there are masterwork knowledge items that are useful. Otherwise deck out your spellbook and familiar.

>the four horsemen
I've never seen their stats. What are they in?

I just want a goofy, fairly light-hearted setting with strong elements of transhumanist horror and biotechnology gone nightmarishly wrong.

Okay, thanks guys.

>masterwork skill tools
I already have those for any skills I'd need them for. That's what I spent my first 300gp on.

you want rocket raccoon enmass

consider using the improved spellbook rules, or crafting yourself scrolls of useful spells you don't want to prepare, or spoil your familiar.

Is there a weakness to Holy Gun?

Smiting at touch AC seems kind of nasty.

The weakness is guns, and to become good at guns you will have to multiclass as gunslinger. Thus losing some paladin powers.

Smiting shot is far, far worse than normal Smite Evil.

There's a lot of things I want but hopefully cyborg animal companions for the ranger standin.

Then again I think I want to make my own setting rather then use the default one

There are levels of helplessness early on. Essentially, having everything you need to deal with every situation is what a party wants. Overly simplified, hitting with a stick doesn't do anything. However, you probably threaten squares now that you are holding a simple weapon instead of being bare handed. The chances of an enemy running past squishy are low.

I played a monk, and used fury of blows on an enemy that dealt acidic damage to the touch. I realized carrying a weapon might be nice.

Try getting bags of marbles, caltrops, and even a bear trap. Stopping an enemy from charging you at level 1 is probably more useful than getting into melee. Just think things through so you don't end up smashing a jar of oil and tripping up your martials.

A very cheap form of defense is to take a bag and smash up some glass to fine shards, then toss it into an opponent's eyes for a non magical, no save blind.

Tell me about your setting

Holy Gun's biggest weakness is that Smiting Shot is ONE standard-action attack, whereas a normal Paladin's smite is 'as long as you need it'

Yes, you can RECOVER grit, but basically that's it. It's not so bad at lower levels, since you also get your cha to damage for it, but... yes.

Also, until level 11 when you get Holy Grit, your amount of grit is still based off WISDOM, the typical DUMP for Paladins.

It has... flaws.

>spoiler
Does this actually work?

The enemies get a reflex save against being blinded though.

It's fucking PFS legal.

And any cheese you can pull off with it doesn't even quite manage to reach "uh, I took a longbow. and uh, manyshot. and my strength was more than five."

How viable is it for me to play a Questioner Investigator on their spells and ignore their martial aspect?

I'm aiming for low t3 minimum.

Next batch, way it's shaping up it's going to be about 3-4 posts overall including the last two.

Konja
>ah yes, the succubed.
>the comfiest character by default
>honestly would not mind her getting in, she has a fun goal.
>doesn't match well with other cooky characters, but would match with an ambitious ruler type.
>jesus why does the succubed get five lines what am i doing with my life
Fahd
>I REALLY like the idea of an ex-familiar, it gives great plot hooks.
>Sadly, personality is bare bones and motivation is self-admittidly lacking
Gogo!!!-SuperRobot-SHININGJUSTICE-Azalea-Scrapheap, Champion of the Universe!
>No availability but good concept
>one I'm totally stealing from for my groups next silly game, sorry
Olivia
>great connection to the previous empire
>did I detect a subtle final fantasy tactics reference in there?
>good app, would be surprised if she didn't get in.
>personality is a little short but you get some of it in her background
Kenna
>On one hand, I'm scared. multiple personalities, especially more than two are difficult to pull off.
>On the other hand, if any good is making it into the campaign it's going to be chaotic
>Very detailed, maybe too much so. Could cut down on some fluff.
Aeshma
>amnesia is cliche, but at least the journal is a nice touch
>crouching healer, hidden sloot
>not bad, definetly villanous and lewd
Calesedria
>the thoughts on lewd section made me laugh audibly
>scary tree lady is bare in personality but brimming with flavor
Alkurith
>oh, his background changed since I last read it?
>I'll get back to you

I have a weapon, I'm just on the fence about whether or not it's worth the gold to make it masterwork.

>marbles, caltrops, bear trap
Done.

I could also buy a masterwork crossbow or something so that I have something to shoot with from far away when I run out of spells. I don't know.

I just have all this gold and I feel weird saving it.

Can you play a cleric as a savvy iconoclast revolutionary?

yes, and there's literally a god for that

Which one?

How good is spellslinger?

You can play a cleric as literally anything you want.

Depends on your GM

It's not.

Looking at the Solarian kind of reminded me of an idea I had for a setting where darkness and light were big themes.

Basically humanity has expanded out into the solar system. Most of the main planets are in the "Luminous Zone" where the three major worlds are and most exploration takes place in the Umbral Expanse. There is actually a major religion where all the planets are dieties and I wanted to come up with my own custom races for this setting ( for example, a race of subterranian beast people who have flexible horn like protrusions where their eyes would be and can extend them the way Gore Magala extends it's feelers when in rage mode).

2. Another idea was the PCs are part of various machine like races trying to build a civilization after their colony ship crash landed on a planet. All of the humans have died but they didn't know that their new found awareness was because the humans have essentially downloaded their soul data into them. One race is like the Androids from nier and another more machine like who think the android people killed the humans on purpose and hate them for it (not all of them but their religion henges on worshipping humans)

I had another idea where Dragons were essentially Space Deep Ones and were waring with the humans who were the children of Giants in a massive galatic war of rulership of the heavens (the dragons want to breed and turn all races into dragon blooded and claim all souls for themselves.)

Craft scrolls and other items. You will get more use at level 1.

Milani

one one hand its a wizard

on the other its a worse wizard

How far should I take the hatred between kingdoms?

At level 1, have some money to spend on doing stuff during your adventure. Gold to pay for a stay at an inn, or bribe a guard to get city entrance? Early on, buying wands, scrolls, and potions can be a long term investment. Of course I have a scroll of discern language and arcane sight, let me just read that tome of forbidden knowledge the DM made sure was a language none of the PCs could read

Get water proof shit. Water proof scroll cases. Water proof bag to keep your bag in. Water proof case to keep your spell book in. In theory a single push into the ocean could severely fuck a lot of your investments.

As a dirty trick, yes. Not the without save part, I'm just being a memey fuck.

Solarian is essentially void and star as light and dark. They are going to be jedis essentially. Otherwise that setting is not bad. I am looking for a GM that would let me play as this robot ascetic monk I had an idea to do for a long time though, so robots are always cool.

AAALL THE FUCKING WAY.

Once per month, they exchange one citizen to be executed.

>character is too bland, write more
>do that
>too much fluff, too long now

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That shit got fucking brutal in the 16th century, man. Though if you want to see *real* hatred, try converting to a slightly different version of your current religion.

Especially if they are European. There's literally a German word that describes hatred of other nations passed from generation to generation: Erbfeindschaft

Since we're on the subject what particulars about the character? I know Pathfinder itself has options to custom build races and there are some pre-built races already available like the androids from the main game but what are you looking for in particular?

Yea sounds about right. Not gonna lie, but trying to describe personality makes me fire more blanks than everyone at a civil war reenactment combined. I may also have the character in the wrong campaign altogether, but HAHA REUSED THIS CONCEPT TOO MANY TIMES ALREADY.

What's the ideal equipment for a cleric?

How should a cleric that follows Milani dress/equip him/herself?