/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------
How it all began, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – UPDATED (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

(new)
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-04-27 - Still getting worked on & now has 11483 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-03-26!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Our /btg/ Merc Unit! 2017-05-01
pastebin.com/3ffaLH9C

How do we Make Battletech Great Again?

It'll never happen so long as it remains an IP divided.

But how much would it cost to collect all the aspects of it, and who had that kind of money, leading to how could someone with that type of investment make a profit?
My only guess is for someone with a long term plan to make lots of vidya along the lines of a mech version of Cowwa Dooty while maintaining the rest of the franchise.

What about a Battletech GSG?

Honestly, I think the series needs a reboot and new rules. Not Alpha Strike generic wargame stuff, but starting afresh.

You drink the whisky drink, you drink the vodka drink, you drink the lager drink, you drink the cider drink
You read books that remind you of the good times, you read the books that remind you of the better times

Like somebody else said, might as well just make a new franchise at that point.

Personally, I'm for the DA-style time jump with a new tier of tech that makes old tech look like primitive tech in comparison.

That way you can do new rules for new weapons, equipment and movement, what have you. Change the dice, sky's the limit. You can update whatever designs you want to modern aesthetics for their new tech redesign without retroactively fucking stuff up, the same way primitives were redesigned into modern mechs. You're far enough into the future that new people can get attached to a new group of people but the old guard can still have something new to read and recognize old names and places still playing key parts the same way they have for almost a thousand years in setting.

This obsession with wanting to do shit like the Fourth Succession War or the Clan Invasion over and over again just makes me sick. It was loads of fun the first time around, now try something new, like the Jihad. That was fun. Or even the late Dark Age between Scorpion Jar and Bonfire. Pretty good stuff there.

Reboots and halfass retcons are garbage ideas, always. They're just a crutch for someone who's run out of good ideas so they're reaching back for their greatest hits instead.

In game terms, single heat sinks made things more interesting and gave ballistics more of a niche. But more tech and modes balanced around introtech has limited what the game can do and makes things perhaps unnecessarily complex

Honestly, that's FASA's fault with throwing Clantech right to the far end of the curve tech wise. We went from Full Introtech in 85 to Lostech info in 88 and Clan in 90. Nothing really got purely better after that, just waffled around what was already there.

CGL and FASA's need to keep adding new stuff but not fooling with actually making a new tier for everyone fucked them up. That's why you have the complexity, 27 years of dicking around without making things purely better.

Hell, all you need to bring the curves back down are better armor, internals, ECM, and weapons to make up for the difference. If a Gauss Rifle is now the equivalent of an AC5, but the new Super PPC puts out 50 heat, then you start to get the balance back.

Honestly I would love to see how clantech would be balance-wise in a world without DHS

Welcome to all gauss all 24/7, buddy

The ability of the Regulans to get away with that bullshit, even when it killed coalition regiments, will always make me wonder what Regulan was giving Herb a handy under the table.

Have you ever read Stone's secret documents that Levin was going through after he became Exarch in the novels? Stone was full "Murder every last Blakist, no matter the cost." He was secretly patting Titus on the back for taking all the blame for something he considered necessary.

This was all written years before Final Reckoning as well so it's not justification after the fact.

Still doesn't explain why, for example, the Lyrans never did anything about the Regulans nuking the 4th Alliance Guards and 1.3 billion Lyran citizens.

What are the Lyrans going to do? Just waltz through Tamarind Abbey or Marik Stewart who hate them more than anyone on their merry way to Regulus? I think not.

Besides, Poulsbo was under different flags for twelve years prior to that.

To follow this up, compare it to what the Taurians did on places like Brockway and Midale. Not only did they get away with it and the entire Vengeance campaign, but kept those worlds even after the end of the war even into the Dark Age.

The only blowback they had was from mercs going all Death Wish on them, not the Fedsuns government itself.

Feddies invaded the living fuck out of the Taurians, user. Operation Matador and during the late stages of the Jihad.

The Roughriders single-handedly fucking the Concordat up is a meme.

Reading JHS 3076 and JHS Terra sure felt like the Roughriders were the only ones doing shit, especially with the Taurians running around basically unopposed in the Capellan March.

As far as I can tell though, at the peak of the Taurian invasion, they had eleven worlds conquered, if you count the Pleades as one world anyhow even though it's a lot more. The Fedsuns took three of those back and then eight Taurian worlds.

So they kept most of their gains but lost true blue Taurian worlds to balance it out. Really bizarre that the Fedsuns didn't try to take back their actual worlds.

>fire CERPPC.
>warning buzzers by the hundreds start chirping.
>enemy isn't dead yet, so fire another one.
>mech starts shutting down.
>override.
>desperately fire cersmall laser, hoping enemy mech will fall over out of pity.
>it doesn't.
>mech temp gauge pegged.
>mech is glowing like the sun.
>enemy mech hasn't fired any shots, but is overheating nonetheless.
>he tries to eject but is instantly vaporized by the heat from my mech
>my cooling vest gives out as the inside of my cockpit catches flame

And thus a new binary star system was born.

>fire Heavy Large Laser
>Supernova

How many minis do you own or want to own?

> give it to me straight my brother
>is BMM (or whatever we're calling the battlemech manual) the reason we cant freaking get TW right now?

No, not that I'm aware of. But I haven't heard of anyone having any troubles finding TW: the box set and TechManual, sure, but TW I thought was readily available still.

Good point: thanks for the fresh eyes on this.

Pic related is old (and from a phase when I hated finishing basing because invariably people would knock off the basing after three games because they were hamfisted), but I've added another uh... 90, maybe 100, figures to that shot's 240 or so.

Lyrans don't care about people, user.

Herb was giving himself the handy, he just has this enormous fetish for utterly pointless warcrimes that nobody punishes, and the jihad and DA are his magical realm

Thank fuck he's gone.

>I get knocked down, and I take pilot damage and I can't ever get back up again

>Lierans
>people

This makes me curious how many I have... a lot of mine are Introbox minis. Through some trading I have nearly 3 sets worth. Bunch of other assorted stuff too. I'd guess well over 100 at least. I've never actually counted.

I only bought the 25th anny. starter box, then quickly found out I was the only one in my city that wanted to play.

Yeah, because the post-Herb era where literally nothing happens is so much better

the fact that the rest of the CGL staff are somewhere on a spectrum that runs from lazy to corrupt, does not mean that an era where the game is active but being shat upon was really better.

I'm really at the point where all I have left is this messainic hope for the game where someone in the future will buy out CGL and decide not only to hire competant staff but also pay them well and actually review material through playtesting before its released. Now I don't even think diversification of the IP into other side or sub-games like Alpha Strike is a bad thing as it acts as a steeping stone for newcommers into the game to get their feet wet in the universe and mechs before looking into something more complex. Those people who decide to stay with Alpha Strike wouldn't want to play classic anyway so at least it acts as source of income and miniatures.

Really, I think the best thing that could happen is that someone starts a new game, in a new world, that plays similarly but carries none of the baggage or IP woes that Battletech has. Someone unrelated to the clowns currently mis-managing battletech.

That or Topps takes a more active hand in the IP and reaves the current staff for failing to advance the game in the last five years and gives us a clean start.

>0
I just want for decoration a lance of each class for IS and Clan.
I don't play, megamek with friends is hoenstly good enough for me.

>game being shat upon
Nah, only the turbo nerds got mad at their fictional faction stop existing in the fictional universe

a Battletech grand strat would literally destroy my life, especially if it was some super autistic CKII+HoI 3 combo type game. I thought about making a mod for one of the parajew games but i cant decide which one would be best, Stellaris might work but id also love some of the more family oriented shit in CKII, And thats not to mention the autism in the average HoI 3 game.

>Playing Battletech
>pretending you're not a TurboNerd

I've got about 50 or so, mostly unpainted and about half are plastics. Probably gonna buy a few more though, because I'm a collector and can't help it.

Got about 375 mechs in normal scale plus a handful of tanks, infantry and aero. Got about a fifteen hundred minis in other scales. My goal was to have one of every metal mini+variant including resculpts and con-exclusive stuff plus multiples of the super common stuff like bugs but I haven't bought anything new in a couple years. I got so much unpainted that I'm not in a real rush. I've still literally got a crate of blue, yellow and orange blisters.

We're having a devil of a time getting TW through the usual distributors.

Marik will rise again!

Maybe 100-150ish. Never got around to counting.

Never bought omnimechs from ironwind before. Is there a way to get all of the extras so I don't have to just build them in prime config? Also are sculpts for the celestials any good or should I 3d print?

You can buy any of the main variant configs for the omnis, or just the variant parts to make your own in the scrapyard section of their site. If you ever have a question on sculpts, then look at camospecs to see what the minis look like.

In my opinion, the Celestials look good. True to the TRO. You can get the Celestials in dominus, infernus etc.

For the record the FWL used WMDs against the Lyran people first, started the Succession Wars on our border, and declined our Archon's offer for peace.

It's the plague pigeons of the League that aren't human and can't be trusted.

>The Lyran merchants and Regulan merchants still haven't realized their biggest threat is Clan Space Jew

As expected of spheroids, quiaff?

neg

Can I join the /btg/ merc unit?

>tfw you realize the Regulans have been Lyran infiltrators the whole time

Besides Bugs or Archers what would be the most common mechs in the Lyran Commonwealth around 3025-3050?

Griffins, commandos, pixies and maybe thuds

Which faction runs the most highlanders? I must know for science,.

They make all those, right? I actually can't remember where Phoenix Hawks were being manufactured in 3025.

You think a Pixie would make a good lance leader for three Commandos?

House Steiner.

Known factories producing the Pixie in 3025:
Coventry Metal Works - Coventry (LC)
Earthwerks Incorporated - Keystone (FWL)
Achernar BattleMechs - New Avalon (FS)
Gorton, Kingsley, and Thorpe Enterprises - New Oslo (DC)

A Pixie would be a good recon lance leader for a batch of Commandos.

>You think a Pixie would make a good lance leader for three Commandos?
Yeah, it'd be good. Maybe even a captured -K, because the lack of JJs isn't as big a deal when commandos can't jump anyways

I second this, not only will it not matter to lose the JJs it's the command ride and heavy hitter so the extra armor is a plus, and yanking MG ammo is always good pre case.

So how do I get my Grand Titan vengeance to launch nukes in megamek?

You don't.

Scum.

You don't. There was a very small period of time when you could load tacnuke warheads into any artillery and not just Long Toms. TPTB made that illegal literally days after the Regulan Titan came out.

I remember the author of that design being crushed.

>calling me scum for wanting to nuke some blakists

It was only in the fluff, there were never rules. Cray was hoping he'd be allowed to write rules, but Herb said no.

Is Cray still around? I always liked his autistic math stuff. Helped the universe feel more real when it made its way into sourcebooks.

submit a feature request for a non-canon "alternate ammunition in Artillery Cannons" option.

Yes, and patron author of the Belters, a faction that *strangely enough* has tech far in advance of the Star League and Clans combined.

Ah yes, the random """"""hard sci-fi"""""" motherfuckers randomly dropped in the middle of battletech and """ surprisingly """ never mentioned again

>a faction that *strangely enough* has tech far in advance of the Star League and Clans combined.
Is very simple my friend, they infiltrated Pryde Rock Industries and stole the Anti-FASA-nomics forcefield

>How many minis do you own or want to own?
I've got somewhere between two and three hundred 'Mechs. I lost count a while back when I started casting my own stuff, although I do know I have a little over 150 painted models ready to go. I also have about 50 Robotech Tactics models of assorted types, most unassembled while I work out my magnetized dual 30mm hex/ 40mm round bases. Proof of concept is finished but until I get my FPAs and MPAs sculpted (or released) there's really no point to getting the RRPGT basing right.

On the infantry side, I've got roughly 60 usable 10mm PA models of varying types, three Points of 6mm Ellies, three Points of Protomechs, and a few hundred infantry (many of those are moderns, though, so it's kinda cheating), and a couple Squads of motorized/mechanized infantry. I want to expand the MechInf with GHQ Hiluxes and throw in some proper Dino Cavalry, but they're lower on my priority list than the airbase and my Blakie Level III for the upcoming campaign.

I have about thirty civvie vees, including hovers and cargo trucks. I'm getting a few packs of resin/plastic cars out of China to expand and convert for terrain purposes, and sculpting some Zeon hoverbikes to go with the Gundam models.
On top of that is another 25 Scorpions, two Lances of artillery, fifteen emplacement weapons (that's my current area of focus, so it's going to get a lot bigger very shortly), some twenty Dougram vees, and a couple companies of modern armor (mostly 1980s American, with a little modern Korean/Chinese mixed in). I'm really weak on hovers and have far more armored cars than is entirely sane.

My aerospace wing is weak as Hell - I focus my space efforts on toher games. Just a quad-pack of fleet-scale Leopards, a couple Vigilants I got for free, and a sorta Destroyer/Light Cruiser I bashed out of Stalker parts (I need to take finished pics of it later, it's actually kinda cool-looking). In 'Mech-scale I've got like four fighters and a couple VTOLs.

>I haven't heard of anyone having any troubles finding TW
Went and checked with my LGS today. According to them their distributor has three copies left in the warehouses and lists it as OoP. The store itself has two, both older printings.

the Celestials look good but they're half again the size of pretty much anything else IWM makes; the assault ones are easily as wide as the fucking Ares tripods.

I have somewhere around 500ish mechs, if you count tanks/inf it has to be getting close to 1000. Ive rarely added to my collection for past 10 years, I tend to only get some of new stuff I like. Been trying to paint alot of my unpainted stuff.

Yes, and?

Are you me?

I guess that's the fate i am bound to suffer being a yuropoor.

looking at the map the closest player is more than 1000km awaylife is suffering ;_;

I feel like I'm doing pretty good for only playing for little over a year.

I love mixed unit lances and want to try alpha strike but my local group has interest in neither.

>That or Topps takes a more active hand in the IP and reaves the current staff for failing to advance the game in the last five years and gives us a clean start.

>Implying Topps not giving a fuck isn't the root problem

If Topps did give a shit about anything they'd probably kill the classic game in favour of Alpha Strike though.

Them not giving a shit because the license fees are free money is all that keeps the current version of the game alive.

I got a mess of old Ral Partha minis I want to sell because finances and reasons. The problem is getting to them as they are in storage and if I can't do it on a certain day, they'll be a subject on Pawn Stars or some crap.

Good to know, thanks. I have no word on a new printing, but they often like to make sure that secondary channels are clear a bit before moving on to a new printing. Some areas my still have good amounts (I haven't heard of any price rises on the book, so I suspect there's still lots of copies floating around).

I'd be pretty happy to see a new printing, since there's a decent amount of errata to fold in for it.

This photograph is causing my brain to have a day

>clans are autists

I DEMAND A TRIAL OF GRIEVANCE FOR THIS INSULT

1V1 ME IN MWO YOU PUNY FREEBIRTH SCUM

That's odd as hell. Our local store has been unable to order them for months. We've been doing a lot of book sharing.

I was moving and needed pictures of my miniatures before I packed them away. And because my bedroom was a 15x20 space, I had my gaming table in there. I just had a cat tree blocking a good angle for the shot.

I miss that place so much, because I could leave a long running game set up in one room, and play others in my bedroom.

That's why you have the internet and MegaMek.

live thread

>NEVER OBSOLETE

gets me every god damn time

>Good luck hitting me, I'm behind 9001 spoofs.

What would be better, a gauss rifle or a HPPC with a capacitor for the Hunchie?

Gauss is more fitting but boring. I like the idea of a capped HPPC hunchie, it's very thematically drac, and I don't think I've seen it before

I'd fucking kill for the Lyran gauss hunchback to be a mass produced mech.

You'll have your over-skined piece of shit with a standard A/C-20 and one ton of ammo, and you'll like it.

I think a Thunderbolt-20 Hunchback could be pretty cool

You'll get this and like it.

Because pic related is TOO GOOD for you.

Fund it.
IE: someone make it since I'm on my phone.

It's not that useful, since you get 12 shots to a GRs 16.

Thanks, and it's not about being good, it's about a hunchie throwing a mini tomahawk cruise missile at you. Flavorful, like a good cocktail.

What about 11 heat neutral MLs?