/stg/ - mtg/ Standard General

Previous Thread: SCG Atlanta Results (4/30/17)

Top 8
1. Mardu Vehicles
2. Mardu Vehicles
3. Mardu Vehicles
4. W/R Humans
5. B/G Delirium
6. Mono-Black Aggro
7. Mardu Vehicles
8. Mardu Vehicles

The Mardu Vehicles lists (seriously, why do we keep calling them that? They have ONE vehicle in most lists.) seem to have some variance, with the first place version only running Cut//Ribbons as a new card from Amonkhet.

I'm working on an R/B aggro-range list right now, trending more towards the aggro/burn side. I initially started by looking at an RDW build, but found that the removal available was simply not enough in the long run.

As of now, I've gotten the decklist down to this: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/may-2017-rb-aggrorange/

I need some help with finalizing the mainboard and adding some stuff to the sideboard. What R/B stuff am I missing that can be sided in to hose certain strategies? Should I run more Alms of the Vein? I opted to go with Flameblade Adept over Dread Wanderer as a one-drop because I figured it would generally be more impactful throughout the game than Dread Wanderer. Was this the right call?

I might consider running some Glorybringers (two main, one side?), but probably not in the initial build.

What are you building right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drakecycle/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ug-eldrazi-control-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/05-05-17-LZk-deck-paste/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-05-17-arW-ug-ramp/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-05-17-zomboni/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rat-deck-supreme/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-black-zombies#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-reservoir-combo-bonesaw-go-home/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This here's my deck. I've been running Fevered Visions since Thermo-Alchemist enabled the entire deck and get good results at my LGS (though our local meta is pretty low-powered with many brews and budget decks).

Glorybringers, Enigma Drakes Sweltering Suns and Magma Spray bring this deck to a really good spot, I think. Enigma Drakes are a straight upgrade over Stormchaser Mages, the fact that they don't have haste is irrelevant as they smash for an inordinate amount of damage in the air every turn they're alive.

Considering slotting in Insult /// Injury, but the card doesn't do anything on it's own so I question how useful it's going to be.

Man I slipped enigma Drake into my kiln fiend deck and never looked back

How many sources of energy do you need to make Glint Sleeve Siphoner good? I'm thinking of just running Aether Hub, Attune and Harnessed.

that depends entirely on the type of deck you're running, if you plan on going fast and consider your glint-sleeve triggers icing rather than core then just hubs will be enough honestly, but if you're crutching on those activations then obviously you want more, attunes would probably do it, harnessed could gain or lose so I would consider those

wouldn't consider those* as in factor in, what you have is probably okay enough

I wanna try my hand at Jund goodstuff, using Glint Sleeve and Tireless Tracker as my card advantage. I guess I could use Sin Prodder instead, but he's way more conditional.

Haven't been keepibg up with this
Is standard still a vancerous cese pool

I'd say try it out, I think attunes + glints are enough and harnessed are fine to include as well

No and yes. The lack of cat let's more decks make it to top 8 as well as a bunch of new decks to rise up to tier 2 and 3. SB for Mardu isn't nowhere near as hard as SB for copy cat and mardu

As we get further away from the cat ban more decks seem to be getting their chance on online tournaments. Paperwise we'll truly find out here in a week.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/drakecycle/

Can I fit gearhulks into this deck?

Maybe lose cathartic reunion and reveler for 2 hulk's and more lands?

My current shit: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ug-eldrazi-control-3/

Been brewing on this thing. Any suggestions on where to take it?

Have considered maybe exchanging some stuff for Wretched Geyffs and Kozilek's Return, to keep the board cleaned up a bit. Don't know what to possibly drop for them yet.

Well here's my list so far.
4x Attune with Aether
4x Bone Picker
2x Cut // Ribbons
2x Dead Weight
4x Fatal Push
4x Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
4x Glorybringer
4x Grim Flayer
4x Harnessed Lightning
4x Scrapheap Scrounger
4x Tireless Tracker
2x Swamp
2x Mountain
4x Forest
4x Canyon Slough
4x Blooming Marsh
4x Aether Hub

*Gryffs

>go to FLGS, owe him money for original F-zero as he sells vidya too
>buy some amonkhet boosters, spendinig so much gets card stamped to eventually get some free store credit, which that was the last one i needed
>at last second, one booster is calling out to me, switch it with another one before opening them
>one i switched to gives me Gideon
>on top of that, local jet's pizza giving out free pizza today and it's actually good

today was a good day

any fun gruul decks running around?

How can I deal with a god that's already on the field when running blue, green, and red?

Blue has control, put that enchantment on it that turns it into a base 0/2 creature. Bouncing it back could work as well, then possibly counter it afterwards cause you know it's coming. Blue is your answer, though.

Ah, thanks! I'm not running very much bounce, but I do have 8 counters at the moment. I'll look into that enchantment.

there is other enchantments as well, but thats the only one I can think off the top of my head, I haven't played in about 6 months

sealed is such a fucking snoozefest to watch

having it in GP richmond was a colossal mistake

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/05-05-17-LZk-deck-paste/

My current standard deck, any suggestions for improvements?

it might be a snoozefest to watch, but it's honestly one of the best formats for poor faggots like me

Same guy here cut the hedrons for 4 ofs of the creature's.

In blue, consider Commit//Memory

what the fuck does the first effect DO

Improvise is convoke for artifacts. It makes Herald cost BB provided you tap 5 artifacts while casting it.

Unless you mean the end step trigger, which is obvious. At the end of your turn, your opponent discards a card.

Hey guys, I pulled 4 kefnets. What can I play with 4 kefnets? I was thinking some sort of jank mono-blue build, or maybe just a tower-less control deck that runs Kefnet instead? Mono-U gearhulks control with Commit to Memory and Engulf the Shore.

U: Commit to Memory, unsubstantiate, engulf the shore.
R: Soul-scar Mage + burn spells / dynavolt tower.
G: ????
UR: Brutal Expulsion

God that art is bad.

>when you realize a vast majority of the reason why this game is so expensive to be competitive in is because there are no limitations in deck building

Mythic rares should be limited to 1, and rares to 2 when deck building. Would cut costs of decks a lot.

Lands should be commons, or uncomons
But if wotc does this they will lose a lot of money, so they won't

I really like it. The only thing bothering me is how boring his weapon looks.

>want to play standard
>key Mythics expensive as all fucking hell
>want to play Modern
>buy-in price for fetchlands expensive enough to buy a new PC from
>want to play Legacy/Vintage
>all of the above and several hundred dollarinos in staples in almost all decks

It really sucks sometimes.

The demon's design is fine. It's that the composition as a whole is weak. Why does his landing in a market prompt such a minimal response from the market-goers? Is this a regular thing in Kaladesh?

The same goes for Demon of Dark Schemes.
Why does the background offer no commentary on the demon filling it?

"Don't mind me, just your average demon inventor, here for the fair. Can't you see I'm just an inventor due to my inconspicuous hammer, for inventing?"

Yeah, I see what you mean.
I always took it as the demon manifesting in just that very moment and people being too surprised to actually react already. At least the dude spilling his coffee makes it seem like he's in a "What the fuck." shock.

coming back from a six year break from mtg, can anyone provide some suggestions on my standard deck?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-05-17-arW-ug-ramp/

it always seemed to me that the coffee dude 100% confirmed that the summoning had just taken place. He dropped the cup but it didn't even have the time to fall. Fits with everyone else being between 'wtf' and 'oh fuck'.

How does the demon have artifact-convoke though, that's the mystery. Is he summoned by artifacts' suffering or what?

It's a wrathful manifestation of the artifacts' machine-spirits.

We Warhammer now.

Is there a point to getting a welcome deck even if it's free? Might as well just buy those planeswalker decks, they have pretty decent cards in 'em.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-05-17-zomboni/

I know it's late in the game for zombie decks right now but I've been working on this for a little bit and my question is, what should I replace with dramas chosen?

*Drana's chosen. Fucking phone

Been screwing around with a combustible gearhulk version of temur tower. It's been testing alright, though I'm all but certain the blue gearhulk version is better.

Being able to randomly brain someone for double-digit numbers is sweet though.

First Deck tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rat-deck-supreme/

How does it look?

That sounds retarded.

LETS
GET
JETS

What's best color combo for Amonkhat? Getting tired of my old B/W Vamp deck but usually hate Blue builds.

Don't. Card is bad. Get some kalitas, or add more cryptbreakers & colossus. You run a lot of noncreature spells for an aggro deck.

Alright thanks

have fun being sweltering sun'd

Demons on Kaladesh are summoned via the dark schematic. It's supposed to represent that.

I think Combustible Gearhulk is criminally underrated. That said he works better in marvel when you can hit them with Ulamog.

Also why no Fumeroles?

Why do you even ask? All this shit was brought on yourselves for your own stupidity standard shitters.
>Waaah thoughtseize too oppresive!!!
>Waaah Mana leak too oppresive!!!
>Waaah wrath of God too oppresive!!!
>Waaah lightning bolt too oppresive!!!

And then you cry because interaction is subpar and you cannot deal with a simple 2 card combo

I feel like it's just straight up inferior to draft unless you only have like 4-5 people

B/W zombies is fun and competitive. B/W aristocrats is janky but has potential.

Is this the thread where I can whine about how I don't like this girl they've got doing coverage. Actually I don't like anyone they've got doing coverage.

I should just mute the stream.

It may be fun and competitive, but it's not fast enough to beat out aggro and it's too vulnerable to sweltering suns, while Mardu Vehicles goes over it.

limited events aren't fun to watch on stream because you can't emulate it and it's not powerful. Playing it of course is different.

>want to play standard
>key mythics are expensive
>probably isn't going to play outside of FNM anyways

magic players are babies, just suck it up play with your budget. Standard isn't even expensive right now but the prices have been steadily inflating because interest is rising back up.

Went to Standard Shoshdown and got bulk trash in my little back. Also got shat on by heavy white+blue control and GB Delirium. Should I have something like Lightning Axe for delirium's beefy creatures? Stupid Grafwidow clogs the board, but luckily Sweltering Suns kills the tokens...I'm running a RU deck with Enigma Drake and lots of counters already.

There is Pummeler, but I wouldn't exactly call that fun.

>Mythic rares should be limited to 1, and rares to 2 when deck building. Would cut costs of decks a lot.
This gets posted on Reddit at least once a week. Wizards will never, ever do this. Ever. It isn't going to happen.

>Is there a point to getting a welcome deck even if it's free?
Basic lands.

>Might as well just buy those planeswalker decks, they have pretty decent cards in 'em.
No. Buy singles. The PW decks are shamelessly awful.

R/B Vampires could be a fun change of pace. Stensia Masquerade is an absolute bomb.

Look at this list. Learn from others.
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-black-zombies#paper

>Actually I don't like anyone they've got doing coverage.
Check out Patrick Sullivan and Cedric Phillips.

Is the extra toughness really what pushes it over Spellheart chimera? Sure, you can bolt the chimera, but it doesn't get chumped by lingering souls for days.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/standard-reservoir-combo-bonesaw-go-home/

The mainboard, minus the fastlands, costs $38. Fastlands are completely not needed. YOU CAN PLAY STORM IN STANDARD FOR $38

AND ITS NOT HALF BAD

also it costs 3.5tix if you play mtgo. You're practically wasting money not playing it.

>This gets posted on Reddit at least once a week. Wizards will never, ever do this. Ever. It isn't going to happen.
Just because it's never going to happen doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.
But it also shouldn't happen because it would completely fuck up limited.
At Mythics:1 and Rares:2 suddenly the powerlevels of mythics and rares are going to shoot up ( fuck, imagine how bullshit Legendaries would be at 1 of. Or fucking planeswalkers ) because now they have design space for them being bombs in constructed not just limited. But not you then that means opening a bomb rare is even more important than the commons, ruining limited as well.
And we all know how much Wizards cares about limited format.

I went 4-0 at fnm with this madness gods list. I love it.

>Mythic rares should be limited to 1, and rares to 2 when deck building. Would cut costs of decks a lot.
Have you played with the Magic Duels series? They do that shit and it's fucking atrocious. Limiting the players options is not the solution. You know what would happen? The only playable rares and mythics would shoot up even more in price.

Did you guys go to standard show down? If so what deck did you take and how did you do? What other decks did you see there?

topped with my B/W brew, saw a lot of mono black zombies - at least four guys on this. two RUG aetherworks and one BUG aetherwork marvels, two guys on mardu vehicles, one guy on B/G aristocrats, one constrictor. one guy was on UR control another on mono U control, a RUG Tower-Drake deck, and two guys with reanimator gearhulk decks. there are more that I didn't catch but I think I heard at least one game went to turns because both people were on aetheflux meme decks

overall not a bad variety to show up

>looking at what people might bring in against zombies because I play R/B zombies so odds are it will affect me in some way
>mfw I see scarab fest

Used a UR deck with lots of counterspells and Enigma Drake. Did terribly even though it worked nicely on FNM. Played heavy UW Control and the run-of-the-mill BG Delirium. Only played 2 rounds cos I left, but saw Gideons and/or Heart of Kiran on every table.

>but saw Gideons and/or Heart of Kiran on every table.
d-diversity will come I s-swear
t. WotC

Besides Mardu there are a bunch of other viable decks now. It's no longer Copycat and Mardu.

People will stick until what they have until at least the PT. It won't come instantly.

That said, there's a chance that Mardu just stomps everything anyways.

Damn dude, glad I saw as many different decks as I did, even if I had to play back to back marvel decks

Has anyone ever tried to run Scour from Existence? Perhaps in some sort of green ramp that wouldn't otherwise have good removal? Even if it's a trash card, the idea of colorless purely unconditional removal amuses me.

I feel like it saw play as a one of in one eldrazi list

In the side that is

Hello everyone, I'm a ygo baby but today I had the opportunity to buy a deck and play some games with it against some other casual players, I ended up buying the Ajani Planeswalker deck because I thought the lion was cool and long story short, I had fun, opened the boosters, traded some cards with other players, added around 10 cards to my original deck and played a bunch of games, lost most but w/e it was worth my time, my question is, where do I go from here? I want to keep playing but this deck is not going to take me anywhere, and I don't want to spend big just yet (ygo+magic = no money) some guy mentioned making a mono green deck with ajani base and cheap critters, but that just flew over my head, don't really know what he meant.

buy singles for deck you want to play or draft to build your collection and learn the fundamentals of magic

I just started back. Sold half my cards after Gatecrash (thanks ex-gf). I ran this from what I scrounged from 2 weeks ago.

I went 3-1 losing only 3 games out of all my sets. Last set drew 3 lands both times. First game I got the guy to two life on my 3 lands. Second game I just couldn't do anything with 4+ costing cards in my hand. The deck definitely is not tuned. The 4 and 5 drops are clunky. The early game is good. Getting Insult is really good. Flame Lash is surprisingly good.

Shivan's are Glorybringer placeholders. One dude called a judge because he thought they weren't in Standard.

Got an Lilly from my 3 packs for winning. Should I keep or sell?

I've literally never read these complaints

which lili? hope or death's majesty?

death's majesty

I could see it going up a bit, but yeah I'd probably go ahead and dump her now if you have no plans on using her

>Pummeler
>not fun

Also, Welcome Decks can be useful for the odd corner-cases of Standard-legal cards almost everyone forgets, like that shit with Soul of the Harvest last year.

Generally it's best to go drafts or hold.tbem with friends. Drafts involve each player opening a pack, picking a card and passing the pack over, all packs rotate in a circle until the last cards.are.chose. you do this with 3 packs and then build a deck with the cards you picked. Prizes include extra packs (if playing with just your friends, prizes can be the rares and mythics). Sealed drafts involve opening six packs yourself and building the best deck you can and playing against everyone else's decks.

After you've drafted for a while you'll have a bunch of cards to build some casual constructed decks with your friends.

Eventia you'll find the playstyle that fits you, will have a bunch of cards to trade or sell and can acquire the singles you need to build whatever net deck you want.

True story. I brewed a deck online when akh spoiled. Went to prerelease (you do a sealed draft at store a week before the cards are officially released) and was able to pick 50+% of my deck there and then with like 40 dollar investment to fill it out..

Have you been playing long? The bitching about Thoughtseize especially was next level, to the point where it has discouraged Wizards from printing other format staples in standards sets (which MaRo promised they would do since Core sets got the axe).

Now all they do is grovel and say "i-its more complicated than we imagined!!! f-feelsbad cards and hate cards that interact with your opponent have no place in our game!"

>Lets make this card game which is already by it's nature heavily reliant on luck even more random! Making it so the first player to draw his mythics/rares is miles ahead of his opponent.

Brilliant user, truly a modern day intellectual. I think the design team working for Hearthstone would like to offer you a job.

How about you remove mythic rares, and reduce pack costs so people might try to open another pack after draft season ends.

Simic Ramp can probably do it. Anything with Tearhulk can too.

>Wizards just standardized super mythic rarity
>Implying they have any intention of axeing their money maker chase mythics.

Rate my super budget drake haven deck. Good enough for casual standard games?

Make it blue red and add cathartic reunion, tormenting voice, fiery temper and lightning axes.

>throwing a robot at your opponents face isn't fun

It was fun, I threw together WB aristocrats the night before. Top 4'd which sucked because the mat is nice, but there are more. I lost to UR emerge, which I beat in my first match or the day. Realistically I kept a shit hand, and all I needed to do was curve out and chump Deep Fried and zombies. I didn't have Stasis Fields in the side, but that's fixed. I also love Anguished for shitting on gods, Gids and whatever else at instant speed. Impressed by pic related too. Getting an amalgam and stopping a stitchwing activation puts them in a desperate position.
I can confirm Oketra sucks, Bontu is fine, and white Parallel Lives is good. I ran a copy of Sacred Cat and Yahenni for spice.
I beat U control, WR (who won) and the RG deck. Arlinn+Glorybringer is scary though.

So tell Veeky Forums I am thinking about buying to Mardu and one of the gearhulk control / combo decks. Not counting Marvel decks. Do you think I should buy my decks now or wait until after the pro tour?

Mardu
Vehicles

I have kicked out Gearframe from my Dynavolt deck for Enigma Drake and he does wonders, best 3 drop i ever played in std.

Name the decks

i would've kicked out the dynavolt towers, personally. Gearhulk a best.