Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

No Anime Allowed

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Pathfinder, the game that succeeded because 4e was bad, but is dying because 5e is good...

Sigh.

What are your evil queens like?

Thank god.

As bad as bounded accuracy is, 5e is a better, cleaner game.

I try again.

What kind of monster or non-human/non-PC creature would be the thematic opposit of a Dragon?

A kirin?

Hellenic Greek vampire oracles or clerics of primordial gods.

She might be a Battle Templar or something. I can't get the schedule to work at my LGS.

>As bad as bounded accuracy is

But bounded accuracy is part of why 5e is good. Suppressing power inflation to bring the game back to a more grounded feel was part of the point.

A tiger!

Tarrasque

>back to a more grounded feel
>back to
>back
No previous edition of D&D felt 'grounded'.
The biggest reason I detest 5e, besides being oversimplified, is that your character doesn't feel like a hero. If I wanted to play a gritty 'realistic' power game I'd use another system, 5e feels lame instead of heroic. Now Pathfinder's rocket tag bullshit isn't good either mind you, but low powerlevel isn't good because a level 20 getting mobbed by as many goblins just makes you feel lame.

>Bounded accuracy is good!

Tell me why a Balor should be able to die just from hiring a bunch of archers then sempai

Why are we letting a page 2 new thread slide as if it was nothing?

Because underhanded tricks are a sword and sorcery staple. It also means that more monsters become more useful to actually utilize in a normal campaign

You're trapped in the wake of big numbers and big power = HERO. I'm not really sure how to convince you that it doesn't need to be that way. Great things can be done from humble means.

Plus, characters in 5e still see continual gains in their strength and abilities as they progress. They can tackle ever-increasing challenges. The difference is that they don't fly into other leagues of ability entirely.

It also means that 5e enforced health bloat as its means of making high CR monsters a threat. Which is bad.

>They can tackle ever-increasing challenges
Which can be accomplished simply by hurling a hundred peasants at the problem. I'm not trapped in the wake of big numbers and big power = hero, I'm saying I want to play a heroic epic and not a gritty hero. I don't want to play as the guy from Saving Private Ryan, not in D&D at least, no I want to play Conan and King Solomon.

So let me get this straight. I'm a 20 Dex, level 6 dervish dance magus with a keen scimitar+1 and i just got Empowered Magic as a feat. I have a 15-20 crit range, effectively making 25% of my attacks possible crits (which are almost always confirmed since i have +10 on attacks) in which I can cast Shocking Grasp with my 6+d6 scimitar for an effective 12d6+12 damage on a critical strike, which can be empowered once a day for 2d6+12+(10d6)*1.5, and all i need is to prepare ONE (1) shocking grasp since I can recast it 6 more times a day thanks to spell recall.

Is this correct?
Have I created a monster?

If you need to be set above others to such a degree that they cannot hope to contribute to your heroism, then that's big numbers and big power. That's superheroism. Pathfinder is about magical superheroes. It is the game you want to play and the hero you want to be.

That sounds correct by RAW yeah

Does the Stamina system for Starfinder sound fun to you?

Yes, it is, and that's why I'm not playnig 5e right now. Again if I wanted to play a game about everyday heroes then I wouldn't be playing Dungeons and Dragons. I started with AD&D, which had broken shit too, and moved onto other systems along with 3.5e and PF, 4e and stuff too, but you'll realize that all of these were literally about superheroes. An AD&D character, despite being squishy, ended things entire armies couldn't dream of opposing. I don't want to play as what amounts to a fireman when I'm level 10 and I don't want to be worth only 20 other people at level 20. That's dumb and 5e doesn't even model realism or low power well. Even 4e was better, not only because its powerlevel wasn't quite so low, but because it was so different that it was barely even D&D and tried to do what it did well - and it still does so better than 5e, which is oversimplified trite that feels like it's just 3.5e with a damper.
5e did feats right though, I'll give you that, Cook is a fucking retard

You have the standard Magus Build, assuming you have both of the typical metamagic traits. Welcome to Magi, where the only build is the one that triggers paizo autists because "OMFG IT CAN DO BIG NUMBERS A FEW TIMES A DAY!!!!"

>only need to prepare ONE shocking grasp
Buy a bunch of first level boro beads to save spell recall points.

Aren't Boro Beads for extracts only?

It works until you have to do a sewer dungeon and have to fight a Gelatinous Cube, or a swamp exploration and have to fight a Shocker Lizard.

JB and MM. If you're reading this, I'm sorry, but I bend the random encounter tables for no one.

I might recommend switching out Empowered Spell for Intensify Spell, but that's just me.

Depends on whether you feel better about rolling a few dice and multiplying, or rolling lots of dice.

>Say Boro Beads
>I meant Pearls of Power

I play too many fucking alchemists/investigators, christ.

Intensify only really becomes worth it (if you have both metamagic traits at least) after about 8th~ I'd imagine. 1.5*5d6 would usually beat out 6-7d6

>fight a Gelatinous Cube
>how are gelatinous cubes nigga just walk away hahahaha

seriously though, there's always shit like frost touch that i have available if shocking grasp doesn't work, and even then i still have a flat 12+2d6 scimitar on crits which is pretty decent on its own

i'll take intensify spell later, since i don't get the most out of it until i get more levels - taking it last level would've meant i could've increased it by just 1d6 for a level 2 spell slot

i'll take it in account, thanks for pointing that out

you can't crit oozes nigga

>touch an ooze
>be right next to an ooze
>it swallows you

>when you specialize in Dark sphere but nobody else in the team has Darkvision

w-wew, no problem guys, I'll send you the bill for that wand

You can't walk away if your paralyzed, you have to make the knowledge (dungeoneering) check to figure out what works on them, and you can't make critical hits on oozes.

I was also using the Critical Fumble deck.

alright maybe that is an issue
my main concern with this dude is that he's pretty much a one-trick pony, frost touch is pretty much all the versatility he has

what would you recommend to make the dude more useful in terms of combat or avoiding it

You're a magus

>a Magus
>being a one-trick pony
>hoping for versatility

You're in the wrong class entirely for that sort of thing, senpai. You're in the class with the worst parts of being a 3/4th BAB martial and the worst parts of being a vancian 6th caster, with barely any of the benefits of either.

Live long enough to get more spells.

You're a martial, so there's no avoiding combat.

The examples I gave earlier might be outliers in your campaign. Have someone else in your party have a backup plan.

How long have you been playing the character?

Reminder that sleep was planning on running a party of six, not four. Odds are good a couple people from the waiting list could get thrown in after the players and sleep have a better idea who would well fit.

What if you're not on the waiting list?

Just play an Occultist fampai

Then you're boned I guess.

Maybe get someone to gm a party for the leftovers.

That's what Clearsight and Mass Meld are for.

Knowing Sleep, you'd get pushed up to a new waiting list if you're still available.
He's a softie.

>kawase still shitting up the discord

>faggots still bringing shitcord drama from the shitposting channel into the thread

I put a lot of thought into my character and am disappointed I couldn't play them. At this point I'll just

Pm someone who did get in

:V

Literally
Nobody
Cares

Well, I was pretty sure from the start she'd never make it in.

But she's immortalized now, forever a meme. Hopefully a cameo too.

So what happens to us now, in this world without memes?

Succubed needs to be a recurring NPC or riot

A new meme will rise. Greater and more terrible than before.

Well that's 2 talents which is kind of a huge investment when a wand is only 750g

I want to spend a night sleeping in the comfy bed ooze, letting my worries and stress of being an overlord melt away

Honestly, I bet a lot of the players wouldn't mind it if their apps got cameo appearances, especially in a kingdom-building game

Can Psychic's do anything interesting?
What are the pros and cons from some actual play?

What classes from Pathfinder or 3pp would you try to import into starfinder?

Why is necromancy such a strong school? Is it supposed to be balanced around the fact that most of the spells are evil?

inb4 she's a generic enemy

I just hope Sleep PMs me first. I've got a few ideas in mind for how my character would interact with others.

Nonsexually of course.

I worry that may not be a future we wish to see, for a meme without sires is an abomination in the eyes of gods and men.

None, honestly. I feel the selection they have now is not only sufficient, it's downright rich.

I haven't been this excited for a Paizo release since Inner Sea Races.

Understood, I'm just imagining the possibilities with various sci-fantasy settings that can be used as inspriation with starfinder. While I hope the options are a bit more tempered then they were in pathfinder (i.e. avoiding a shit load of bloat) I just want enough to have decent level of diversity. Besides, where else am I going to play a K-pop assassin that can summon sparkly wolves to kill my enemies (and then space tweet the kills to all my fans)

Is there a way to make the animal companion I get from the from the Green Magic discipline dumber?

>e Green Magic discipline
I meant Green Magic Hedgewitch Tradition. Is there a way to permanently lower it's Int score?

Why would you want that?

I don't like the idea of Sapient animals. I'm going for more of a "wild beast tamer" feel and having my animal be almost as smart as a dumb person doesn't sit right with the flavor I want.

maybe consider that you didn't get in because of who you are, which is obvious from the way you post by the way

Occultist honestly

Feeblemind is the spell you need, I think. Then you can cast Awaken and get a book thrown at you

I've considered that, and honestly I don't blame him. That would have turned the salt meter up to eleven.

We are going to have to start to have separate Starfinder threads...

Well I'm gonna be a hedge-witch so I don't want to assume Vanician spell-casting service is available.

I mean, it still can't speak. It's still classified as an animal. Mechanically it is only advantageous to let it have access to more feats than normal and nothing is stopping you from telling your DM it's going to act like a normal animal. Your dumb animal just so happens to be the top 1% of its species in terms of intelligence.

Tien-Min Expert (they're the assassin class) in commissioned armor with drones outfitted with holograms, with a communications device on her hip!

Are we? I thought the idea was not to seperate Starfinder and Pathfinder general? Perhaps this should become a topic point unless it was already decided.

>is stopping you from telling your DM it's going to act like a normal animal.
Is that up for the player to decide though?

It's your animal companion, so I would assume so unless the DM is going to insist on fucking around with it? If it bothers you that much just ask. Worst case the DM sees you straight up asking to nerf your animal companion and okays it.

Is there a weapon enhancement that lets you deal sonic damage on hit in the same way that Flaming deals fire damage?

I am thinking likely samurai or monks. Maybe wizards because I have no sense of right or wrong.

It was discussed a few times. Mostly decided that if there were two path-star threads then both would end up dead because of splitting the base that uses them, and they were similar enough that they could be placed in the same thread.

Does everything go to shit if you just let classes trade spell lists? Or even let them switch to psionics with appropriate progression and use a particular class's power list?

The main reason there is not, is because out of all the monsters that are resistant to fire or ice or electricity (about 380 each with 280 for lightning) only about 60 monsters are resistant to sonic. Your best bet are the sonic damage to crit weapons and getting a katana or rapier with 15-20 crut.

Generally yes. That is why multiclassing exists, and why Mystic theurge if done right is a very powerful single caster.

Psychic mainly have already existing spells under a different name with slightly different effects and some psychic specific occult related spells which vary in usefulness depending on how much effort the GM has put into thinking about the occult classes. Their main pro and con is the fact that they are unique spellcasters, meaning psychic is a type of casting on it's own and has a set of items specifically tailored to psychics. This of course means that items that cater to divine and arcane casters are going to be useless and probably more common. Their classes however have interesting mechanics, such as the implements of the occultist and the pseudo summoner, spiritualist. Their only 9th level caster is however weaker than any other.

Can I cast raise dead on my enemies to kill them again and get their XP?

How important is 20 starting str for a martials like paladins, bloodragers and warders?

Is it considered to be a waste of a +2 str race if I take a sub 20 starting str?

>I am thinking likely samurai or monks.

>mfw Street Samurai in Starfinder

Resurrection is consensual, they can refuse specially when its the guy that just killed them.

Even if you manage to trick them into accepting, it can be considered a 0 exp event when the odds are massively pitched against them.

20 starting STR is not important at all. I think you can start with 16 and be fine.

If you're rocking a Str build, 18 is probably your best starting point. You get that extra point of damage on a two-handed attack, you have great carry capacity, and you can basically not have to worry about increasing it if you've got any other stats that need a boost.

No. Technically if you don't control them, they might be considered enemies, but no DM would let you do that. It would be similar to lighting a forest on fire and expecting the animal's XP.

Not too important for paladins. Heck, for a paladin you can easily get away with 16 str as long as the rest goes into your charisma. (Because high charisma is good)

Yes. Or monasteries of ancient styles that survived by moving to another planet, or in a shitty dojo in the hongkong style citystation.
(Or samurai jack back from the past)

>Their only 9th level caster is however weaker than any other.
The physic class is specifically what I am talking about. I've already tired a handful of the others.
IYO physic is not worth so much?

How about 3/4 BAB classes? I heard that the BAB difference is sometimes so bad that they can't afford to use power attack.

>Not donning your family power armor passed down from your grandfather
>Not tending to the family sword after receiving the implants needed to channel your ki into it's high tech blade
>Not riding into battle on a vat grown warhorse with augmented limbs and built in armor

Shamful dispray!

It really is not that bad. if you are worried about hitting, just wait until about 5th level when the difference is neglegable

I hope youre right.

if you got in please throw me a line.

I want to be a fat, jovial Android Cook, traveling the cosmos in the search of that greatest of worlds.

Flavortown.

True that is cool and would be awesome. Though honestly I like the feeling of a lowtech samurai or monk still keeping up with a high tech era simply through skill or ki trickery

Depends on the party. They are still 9th level casters with some unique spells and slightly more limited spell selection than wizards.

In other words: they are worth it unless your party already has two wizards, a druid and all of them have cleric cohorts.

It can be, it can be. But if you're stacking up enough bonuses apart from just your BAB, you're good.

And it's not even when power attacking, it's mostly just when two-handing. Power attacking *while* two-handing should be something you do when you're sure you can hit, and if it doesn't work just drop the power attack for a few rounds.

In base PF, I would say that the sorcerer/wizard list is the main one that is actually held to be more powerful, by intended design. You can tell that most other classes are given weightier class features besides their spells - even Witch.

It seems vaguely possible that Cleric list is considered weaker too even relative to Druid/Shaman. Both Cleric and Oracle are meant to supplement their list with domains/mysteries and get a bunch of good features from their domain/mystery.

user isn't talking about combined lists, just substituted ones.

Having a monomolecular vibro-blade doesn't mean you can skimp on the sword lessons, and mag-sealed body armor composed out of a mithral/adamantine alloy is still going to be as mobile as your old suit of lacquered armor.

Bushido and the Way of the Samurai are timeless - the coat and the engine might change, but the spirit remains.