Symbaroum

Tell to me about this game, Veeky Forums.

I wanna hear what it does well, what it does badly, and if it's worth my time and money.

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/84yokg.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well OP from the lack of responses, I guess it's not even worth Veeky Forums's time.

Clearly

Faggots here just play D&D and derivatives, ameritrash fantasy fuck yeah, I guess

From what I've heard and seem it's pretty much STALKER meets DnD.

Seems cool

This. Veeky Forums refuses to touch anything that isn't d20 or GURPS without working themselves into an autistic frenzy, denouncing any other systems despite never having played them.

I love Veeky Forums, but sadly I have to got to fucking Reddit to talk about any other rpgs.

OP here.

I've tried out a lot of games, and I'm willing to try pretty much anything for at least a few sessions.

But if the ones I've actually played, most of them I've tossed in the "nope, I never want to play this again" either because I hated it, or because it delivered an inferior experience to another game that just does it much better.

I'm mostly down to the only games I've played that is go out of my way to play again, being dnd, GURPS, Unisystem, and Shadowrun 4/5.

For instance: I've yet to find a super hero system that I still enjoyed after having played it for any period of time though. MnM is bland, SW I hate in general, and the new marvel system I've not had a chance to try yet - supers campaigns are not that common for me though.

Hey OP.
As the only guy on Veeky Forums who's actually played this, I can tell you the following:

>What it does well:
Setting, tone, character creation, magic, combat, and overall customizability. It's super easy to learn and easier to run.

>What it does badly:
There are no hard and fast rules on roleplaying. There's no skill list and most interactions have to be roleplayed, with individual abilities occasionally coming into play. I don't think that's a bad thing, but some might.

>Is it worth your money?
Yes

What's the actual setting and such, for an uninitiated man?
If it's anything like Unknown Armies or Noumonon, I'm a sucker for those things.

Not really like either of those settings actually. The setting is the kingdom of Ambria, which was founded about twenty years ago by refugees fleeing their magically ravaged homeland, and bordering a titanic mega-forest populated by barbarian clans, angry fair folk elves, and monster plagued ruins.

This sounds really basic, but the book's prose makes it really come to life. The atmosphere is oppressive, foreboding, but also hopeful.

Got an example? Is it a little something like a fantasy, non victorian Echo Bazaar/Sunless Sea?

I'm posting from my phone, so unfortunately not. You can go to drivethrurpg and look at the free preview if you want.

I am running it and I have to say yes. Creating combat encounters is easy and can be done by using your gut feel if you ever played D&D 5th. Symbarorum is pretty much 5th Edition - some rules and reverse rolling from Unearthed Arcana. If you don't mind that it's an edited D&D 5th it is amazing, you can even add rules from 5th and still make the system amazing.

Wait. Symbaroum is based on 5e? I thought it was its own thing.

So, what are the major changes mechanically?

Symbaorum is based on Rune Quest and not on that pile of dogshit DnD is.

>I've yet to find a super hero system that I still enjoyed after having played it for any period of time though.
Marvel Superheroes

Yeah, Its on the list of ones to try for next time. It and HERO.

Funny you should say that.

After 2 years of Runequest, I concluded that both Unisystem and GURPS do everything I liked about RQ better than RQ does.

D&D & Pathfinder, on the other hand, I've yet to try out a replacement for the genre that I like better. I haven't found a supers system I like, and that's what I'd need to replace the high powered magic shenanigans I actually use PF for, and 5e is my go to for newbies or for when I want to use a published adventure due to limited preparation time, or want to run something in one of the d&d settings.

How can it be both Runequest based and 5e based?

Are you both taking about different games?

Im rolling a char now, just skimmed thru some setting shit and saw the map and now im ready

Goddamn there is no rolling in this game? That's hillarious, it all seems limited to those forests too

>Occupation:
Self-Taught Mystic
>Attributes:
Vigilant 15,
Resolute 15,
Persuasive 15,
Cunning 15,
Quick 5,
Strong 5
Accurate 5,
Discreet 5
>Secondary Attributes
Toughness 10
Pain Threshold 3
Corruption Threshold 8
Defense 5-Armor
>Traits
Short-Lived, Pariah, Survival Instinct

Give it a read if you want files.catbox.moe/84yokg.zip
I like it from the sound of it, but have not yet had a chance to play.

Yeah, the Davokar Forest seems to be the focus of the setting. You go relic hunting there and shit. That's why STALKER is often associated with this game.

I don't understand the character generation. Im following the guide, and the order is fucking weird. Moreover, when you come to Goblin's, they say you can choose Survival Instinct as a trait, but it costs an Abiltiy. Yet there is nowhere in the character generation written how to "pay" for an ability or trait, how the hell do you purchase shit and with what?

>Race
Goblin
>Mystical Power
Shapeshift

From Page 77:
>Abilities (page 112)
>Abilities cover the talents and special skills which
>give the character more alternatives in combat or
>when solving a problem. The Abilities are divided
>into three levels of expertise, from Novice through
>Adept to Master. A new character most often starts
>with two abilities or powers at Novice level and one
>at Adept level, but you may instead choose to start
>with five abilities at Novice level and none at Adept
>level. Gaming groups that would rather have more
>experienced characters right from the start can of
>course decide on another starting level.

So you get either 2 Novice and 1 Advanced Ability or 5 Novice at Chargen

>Symbaorum is based on Rune Quest and not on that pile of dogshit DnD is.
justify that claim

Nice, thanks. What is this shit here though?
>Example: Mira has decided that her character should only partially rely on her mystical powers and does not want the ogre to belong to any tradition. She therefore disregards the traditions and keeps the creation points that she already has placed in Natural Warrior. That way her ogre becomes more diverse rather than a purebred Mystic.
What are the creation points ? I don't get how many spells you can have

Spells are just abilities. So you aquire them with those same points. As are the Mystical Traditions iirc. So they just seem to be a bit inconsitent in the terminoligy.
Creation Points seem to be Ability Points.

Do I need to choose Sorceror or Mystical Power in the ability section to be able to cast a spell?

Sorcery is a Mystical Tradition, you don't need one of those. And Mystical Power is just a substitute. You buy Mystical Power at Novice/Adept/Master level, and then go to the Mystical Power section and choose which one you actually learned.
But if you learn a Mystical Power without having learned it's Tradition, you get one permanent point of corruption.

Ok I think I got it. So I'm going for a druid shapeshift kind of build

>Name:
Gobbs
>Race:
Goblin
>Archetype:
Self-taught Mystic

>Primary Attributes:
Vigilant 15,
Resolute 15,
Persuasive 15,
Cunning 15,
Quick 5,
Strong 5
Accurate 5,
Discreet 5

>Secondary Attributes:
Toughness 10
Pain Threshold 3
Corruption Threshold 8
Defense 5-Armor

>Traits:
Short-Lived
Pariah
Survival Instinct (Novice)
Natural Warrior (Novice)

>Mystical Powers:
Shapeshift (Adept)

Looks OK?

On Page 75 the Attributes section says
>Only one attribute value may be as high as 15 and none can be higher than 15 or lower than 5.
So you have 3 Attributes too much at 15
Rest looks fine to me

Damn, you don't change your attributes when you shapeshift that sucks.. Hm.. Taking Sixth Sense only allows to change the attribute use for ranged weapons too.

which means this character is gimp as shit

Max HP is 17
Players roll to dodge, attack and "armor". You see the DM never rolls, players rolling defense and armor is just them rolling for hit on the monster side and damage on the monster side. It lacks classes and uses Abilities ( Feats ) to progress charachters, you buy them with XP. In combat you can get a free strike if you have a long weapon. You gain corruption when you cast spells and you have corruption. Rest of the mechanical feel is very close to 5th. Even the death saves.