ITT: Your favorite p&p you never got to play

I'm sure everyone got this one book in the shelf you were never able to play with your group, but you would absolutely love to do so. May it be due to innate bias towards the system (lol DW), a lack of time or other fickle reasons.
In my case, this would be Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok (FotN:R).
The system is somewhat interesting and serves its purpose (end time mythical viking stuff - decently good researched), the artwork is beautiful (you either love or hate it, I think) but it is mostly due to the combat and task resolving system why it’s so interesting for me.
Instead of throwing die around, you’ll draw runes out of a pouch which you must assign on a special sheet.
So, there is a little less randomness involved, and more resource management. The system requires a hex map and figures to be played as intended and is therefore bretty gamistic.
I fear that it could turn out to be too clunky for my taste, but then again - I didn’t get the opportunity to test it.
Aight, whats your untested gem of a game, user?

I've been interested in this for a while as well.

To answer your question, there are just too many dream games I doubt I'll ever get a good shot at.

I wanna give Cryptomancer a shot.

It's just so delightfully different from what I usually play.

FoTN is one of mine, there's also Legends of the Wulin. It's the only rules-heavy narrativist game I've found, and it has great combat once you understand it. The problem is that because the book is such a mess, and it requires a fair bit of player involvement, it's impossible to get my group interested.

>May it be due to innate bias towards the system (lol DW)
I don't think you can call being informed of a system's shortcoming beforehand a bias.

for me its Eclipse Phase. i LOVE that setting but i dont even know where to start.

>in fact i've only played one session of PF IRL and one of 5e on roll20, that's my only experience in RPG's. where do i live there isn't any interested, and the PF group lives too far so i couldn't continue with them

Someday I want to play Continuum.

I want to play FATAL.

BattleTech, actually.

> i dont even know where to start
care to elaborate?
I also own EP, run a few sessions and it's ok-ish. The system is a bit unwieldy, but the setting is great - if u can manage to get your group invested into the fluff. Otherwise, just run it as lmaoDeusEx with a bit of GitS sprinkled on top to ease ya group into it.

If I have to pick one, probably Dogs in the Vineyard. Just seems like a nice change of pace compared to a typical fantasy game. Alternatively, I'd like to actually get to play one of FFGs WH40k games. I've gotten to the point of creating a DH character multiple times, but they all fell apart before the first session.

well, basically, in D&D i know i can start with something like Lost mines of Phandelver or some lvl 1-4 expedition of adventurer's league, because these are easy to DM and play. but don't know if there's something like that for EP.

I would also love to run shadowrun but just read the 5th edition quickstart and almost got a headache. But the setting is amazing

Everything World Of Darkness.

I really want to try either The One Ring or Strike!

Same. I've brought it up to my group people though they've never taken the bait on it. I even went to MeetUp to find people after switching states and almost found a Changeling group that stalled out before the first session.

I'll never risk an online WoD group though since I've heard everyone is generally awful there.

Patrician taste OP.

My list of games I'll never get to play is stupid long and includes:
>Pretty much every single thing Modiphius has put out
>Fading Suns
>the Dragon Age rpg
>Remnants
>Mutants and Masterminds
>Anything not D&D

I really want to play Fate. I feel like I want an RPG that is playable almost like a car game. Something you can use to tell stories with your friends with on a whim, but also has enough gamey-ness to impart some sort of material proof of the qualities of the character and how those qualities have changed during their journey. Hopefully you can just remember the character sheet, or easily keep it in a wallet.

Ive always wanted to play GDW's Dark Conspiracy.
So much flavor, always looked fun

Aces and eights. That hardbackbook is gorgeous.

Mutant City Blues. Basically superhero cops in the GUMSHOE system.

Can confirm, it's lots of fun.

Engine Heart, but I might actually get to run it this summer.

Dogs is a ton of fun. I love running games in that more than I do playing.

I really want to give Annalise a shot, my group aren't really fans of horror stuff though so I'll probably never run it.

I really love Fate as a system but you really need a GM with either enough RPG experience that they can realize what it's meant to do or a GM with so little RPG experience that they don't have ingrained behaviors from D&D.

I should clarify that I don't have any problems with D&D, but I have been in two Fate games where a GM tried to run it like D&D that were absolutely miserable.

>ded gameline
>practically ded rules system
>practically ded company

It hurts.

Call of Cthulhu because nobody wanted to play the quickstart adventure, and even if they did both books are 80 dollars in my local shops.

>go to buy AFMBE in nearby shops
>they only have 239052351094214 expansions
>one core rulebook at the other location
>lel someone bought it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cyberpunk 2020, I'm about to finally run a game on it this week after having the book for years. The players are all very excited for it too... Well, aside from the guy who made Alex Jones, but I'm sure he won't last long given his normal character behavior.

I had to order all my stuff through Amazon. The only copy of an AFMBE I saw in a brick-and-mortar store was a copy of Dungeons & Zombies a "half-price" used bookstore was trying to sell for $100.

ORE in general
LOTFP

The archetypal "best game you'll never play."

Truth. I enjoyed the hell out of reading those while at the same time going 'I will never run this ever'

Torchbearer, its little cousin

I backed the Fate of the Norns kickstarter based on the novelty of the rune system and I liked the art. Played it with the creator at a con with some friends and we really liked it. It is very gamey in how it plays but we like that. After the con I started running a game of it my only complaint is not enough example pre-built monsters / encounters with a run down of tactics for the monsters. That has meant alot of trial and error in how I build the NPCs and try to make interesting fights with them.

One of the few benefits of living in Canada is that I got to meet the FoTN creator at my tiny town's table top con and play with him. I loved the system and setting and I've run exactly one game. I feel like it could actually use a few tweaks with some house rules but over all I love it dearly.

unknown armies, the setting is so cool, but ill never get to play in it.

I'm currently running a campaign of this, it's going really well

I ran a Mutant City Blues game, it was pretty solid.

>Mechanical Dream is a world unlike anything you’ve ever experienced. On a huge planet, Naakinis, 10 races vie for survival under conditions no humans could ever hope to survive in one immense continent, encircled by impassable darkness: Kainas.

>On Kainas, reality bends and weaves, dreams and nightmares come true at night, ecosystems collide, and magic faces off with technology. From this chaos, Echoes are born, from any of the 10 races. Beings of supreme power, Echoes get to shape and understand reality for their kind. YOU are one of them.

>It is up to you to realize your potential and become one with the two worlds, to awaken the Dreamer.

>10 races
I'm getting a bad feeling about this product.

As opposed to the gorillion and one races that are in D&D?

years since i played it. wouldnt mind another campaign.

OH MAN! I ran some Continuum games years ago. It's crazy and I wish someone would let me play it for once.

Shadowrun. Turns out all my normal pen and paper groups all hate the genre. So now it sits on a shelf. Forever unplayed.

Paranoia

I would love to... Still it's kinda hard to find another 4 people in taste for such humour.

Emovan: Aquatic craftsmen with a strongly collectivist society.
Frilin: An intellectual plant-based race who do not require orpee* to survive.
Gnath: A highly rational people who are the driving force behind modernization.
Inaïs: The only race able to harvest orpee*, who live as passionate ascetics.
Nayan: A deeply passionate and charismatic race driven by a powerful martyrdom complex.
Odwoane: A diminutive race of mimicking laborers who instinctively gather and act in groups.
Solek: A race that emerged from the Sofe**, characterized by their silence and efficiency
Volkoï: A race bred for war and physically dependent on a constant flow of adrenaline.
Yaki: A collection of tightly-knit nomadic tribes with a strong understanding of the Dream.
Zïn: Extremely rare, solitary beings who carry within them a volatile Aran entity.

*Orpee & Eflow
The vast majority of the setting's population depends on the weekly consumption of the orpee fruit to survive. Without orpee, a rapid and excruciating death is guaranteed. Orpee naturally concentrates a life-force called "eflow" that fuels life. The politics and economics of Kaïnas are primarily driven by the collection and distribution of orpee, as it is an absolute requirement for life.

**Characters reside in... a 30,000 mile disk lit by a sun-like orb called the Pendulum. This disk is surrounded by the Sofe, a 40-mile-tall wall of black ether that few, if any, have ever returned from. The Pendulum spends roughly ten of each day's thirty hours beyond the Sofe, creating night-like darkness. During this time, a phenomenon called "The Dream" manifests, becoming stronger as less and less light permeates Kaïnas. The Dream is a fabulous and dangerous world that overlaps with reality. It is initially hazy and hallucinatory, becoming as solid as reality during the darkest parts of the night. Areas where the Pendulum does not shine are affected by permanent manifestations of the Dream.

Too many, but if I had to pick one, I'd like to see how Burning Wheel rolls.

as someone who's run a one-shot of it and is currently running a campaign: it works great

I want to play Don't Rest Your Head very badly.

Would you mind telling me a bit more about that, like where the rules heaviness is in the system and how it is also narrativist?

Also I am running an L5R 4th ed. game, and that system seems like you can be quite narrativist with it (I am running my game like that) by doing certain things advised by the book once or twice that aren't mandatory or rammed down your throat. For example there is a little section in it somewhere where it suggests that the GM could give free raises (basically giving the player a greater degree of success on a check if they succeed) if they describe their actions in a way that is entertaining for the table.

>Would you mind telling me a bit more about that, like where the rules heaviness is in the system and how it is also narrativist?
Not him but have also played LotW. Basically a large part of the games combat system is the variety of modifiers which characters have to deal with, you have the strengths and weaknesses of your style as well as any conditions on you, but none of these modifiers are for certain actions (in fact the book advises against giving conditions which affect certain actions) rather they affect certain kinds of actions in broad ways. For example the condition 'damaged leg' might impose a penalty if the character tries to be 'highly mobile', so if the character tries to attack by doing a bunch of flips and sweeping kicks they take a penalty, if they attack by grappling and brawling they don't, mechanically speaking those are both the same action, a basic attack, but you're encouraged to fluff the action in a certain way. Since characters have a certain set of advantages and disadvantages for their style, and new ones are added throughout a fight through conditions the kinds of action you want to be making are constantly changing, this means that even though LotW has relatively few combat actions for character to take fights are still varied as the descriptive fluff on those actions matters a great deal. It's rules heavy because combat does wind up being rather complex but it's narrative because all that complexity goes into making sure the descriptions of actions are interesting and creative.

I never got to play this. I want a hard copy of the book but they are like 1000 dollars now because limited print run and I can't stand using PDFs. That said I have this autistic thing about swearing IRL and also my group cannot be mature about sex so I would probably have to run it through text online or something.

I mean, we tried.

But I've never even met anyone who anonymously internet-claims to have run a game of this successfully.

I remember loving this book and wanting to run a game, but had trouble wrapping my head around both the mechanics and how I'd get the players invested in such a different world.

>Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok
Do you have a pdf for this?

>tfw I will never find a group that will even let me GM this without re-flavoring the entire thing into some totally different setting, and loresheets are so fucking time consuming to write up
>Tfw I will never find another person who will actually GM this.

Ghostbusters. My only tabletop friends don't care for ghostbusters :(

Yeah, I'm not sold on the mechanics. If nothing else, the attributes seem a bit ridiculous, with a mental version of all the physical stuff that I can't see getting used very often. If I got the opportunity to run it, I'd probably just use some other system to power it, like Savage Worlds or something.

I never got around to playing it, but Earthdawn really seemed like a refreshing fantasy setting.

These feels are my feels too.

Though I feel Loresheets, KungFu & Secret Arts are actually quite easy to reflavor.
I've considered running Dragon Ball (maybe even Z), SaGa Frontier and even Final Fantasy with it. I wouldn't mind running it vanilla but I'm not an expert on the setting- but I am good at bullshitting.

For now take this and do with it what you will.
Perhaps one day a game can be made.

I've always wanted to play a campaign in Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition or something.

I've always been a fan of versatile systems that let you make all sorts of characters and settings. My ideal setting would sort of be a kitchen sink setting with all sorts of canon and OC stuff thrown in from various sources, anime/comics/movies/books/dreams/childhood sketches from notebooks etc etc. Just kinda have fun with that sort of flexibility and tell fun, dramatic, romantic, action packed, insane stories.

I got so much shit I want to play but never will. Probably doesn't help that I'm a lazy asshat who can't get off his ass and put a game together.

>GURPS
Everybody in my usual groups has swallowed the internet KoolAid and won't touch it. Hopefully I can get them to give the DFRPG a go when it comes out, or I'm going to have to find a group through Roll20/GameFinder who will.

I actually know a couple guys who want to play the Infinity RPG and Anima - Beyond Fantasy, so I can't honestly say those.

I don't think I'd be able to pull off UA3, but I know a guy who might be interested if I tried.

I can't honestly say World of Synnibarr 2e is anything like a 'favourite' system, though I do want to give it a try. I've got the books, might as well see how bad it is in practice.

I could probably convince people to give most of the rest of my physical games (CTrav, HtR, Trinity, L5R, Paranoia, D&D 5e, CP2020, CyberGeneration, Paranoia, HKAT!, Corporation, Savage Worlds, and Star Frontiers), but some of them might be a bit harder (T2K, Underground, TBZ, Secret of Zir'An, and SLA Industries).

Probably the only one that truly fits the bill in SenZar, because I really like the fluff and the system's a lot more solid than a heartbreaker really should be, but people have either never heard of it or think it's some sort of trash. The shadow of the UseNet marketing is still cast.

Same here. I've played it once at a convention, bought it, never managed to play it. It doesn't help that there are a lot of puns, my copy is in english but it's not my group's native language, so I wouldn't even know how to do it.

Its true every character has multiple layers that make up the whole, but most of the complexity in the game comes from the formatting; learning how to do things without help might take you a few reads and re-reads as every important rule bit is spread out in entirely different areas.
I've personally learned how to play by googling through archives and finding a character creation tutorial thread, a blog dedicated to reading through the game, and a thread where the Author of the game gives an example of combat between two NPCs. So having the PDF is a long road, finding someone who can walk you through it might be best.

Character Creation & Combat are both quite fluid, and character creation is pretty easy to grasp outside of Chi Cultivation.
The idea is that for every point of Destiny(exp) you spend on certain character traits also earns you a second experience pool called Cultivation, which is specifically for buying more Chi points.
You also start with 10 bonus Chi because via character creation you've already cultivated 10 chi by just having an Internal KungFu.
One of the oddities that's intended but isn't conveyed very well.

The beauty of the system is that through Martial Prowess just about anything is a viable character, and every character is also a fighter on top of whatever nonsense they wanted to be. Those try-hard "i'm not a mary sue" basket weavers are now also competent fighters whose basket weaving is a life lesson on family, friendship and KungFu kicks.

Dogs in the Vineyard.

Seems like a great concept, simple and elegant.

Unknown Armies and Bliss Stage. Life shall be suffering as long as I may know it.

Lot of them.
But I'm just happy I got a group for The One Ring. Two of them, even. It's game I wanted to try for long time and my personal favourite, but still there's so much more I'd like to try out
>The Sprawl
>Apocalypse World
>Trail of Cthulhu
>Fiasco
>Heroquest: Glorantha
>Hillfolk

>10 bonus chi

I meant +10 cultivation as the character creation includes you spending 10 destiny on an internal style.

A lot of White Wolf for me. I just don't have anyone local to play with, and all of my friends are more interested in Savage Worlds than any sort of vampire or garou shit.