/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-cursed-necropolis-rio/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/mayday-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
What do the antagonists in your games tend to be like (dependent on the splat you play) and which one of them was the absolute best? Please go into as much detail as possible.

>Get of Fenris
>Not manhating femcunts or racial chauvinists, are civilized without getting in danger of getting used by the Weaver, don't treat their metis like garbage, best Wyrm ass, do their duty in great style

How can other doggo tribes compete?

By focusing on other areas of drama and exploring the interesting side of their shortcomings.

>How can other doggo tribes compete?

Not much really, at their best the Get of Fenrir is one of the best tribes. However that is at their best, at their worst they are hypocrites, who would either enable shitty leadership just for glory or take power themselves just measuring fighting strength and declaring everything else as "weak".

So at their worst they are the Fianna. And nobody likes the Fianna.

>Bullshit. If you actually roleplay your character as a person instead of just a bunch of traits and allegiances on a piece of paper then you should easily be able to emphasize with people who decided to join the Seers.
>"Level of disconnection" my fucking ass.

Dont be mad your antagonist are shitty compared to the glorious Technocracy user.

Remember, it took a few editions for the technocrats to be fleshed out as anything other than evil MIB + Dr. Mengala's.

Give the Seers some time to flesh themselves out more.

The difference is NOT superficial.

Yes, all three represent the stereotype of lordly vampires but each are different.

>Ventrue are your vanilla noble vampires
>Lasombra are edgy social darwinist noble vampires
>Tzimisce are creepy alien noble vampires

>can make reality your bitch
>can easily blend into human society
>no noticeable downsides
>are still human
MAGE SUPREMACY is not a meme it's real fucking life. How can the other splats hope to compete?

they had their own book ffs, how much more fleshed out do you want them?

>Give the Seers some time to flesh themselves out more.

That is not how it went, originally they were meant to be kept as 1 dimensional bad guys like the Seers but WW incompetence made them relatable and reluctantly went with it because people like the complex technocracy way more.

However Dave have stated he wont commit the same mistake the previous devs so the seers will remain as they are.

>oh now our shitty black and white universe is starting to get some depth but nope writing a grey universe is too hard.

I kind of want a Requiem game on PC.

What would it be about? How would it start? Would you play as a newly made vampire? Would your sire get executed for making a childe without permission? Is that even a thing, asking permission for Embracing? Would your Clan be predetermined in character creation or would it be influenced by some kind of tutorial section that tests you for what you'd be suited best?

The one thing I do know about Requiem is that it has Blood Potency, which is something acquired either through diablerie, passing of years or probably some weird, barely known blood magic ritual, and without a higher BP you'd probably be ill equipped to fight anyone that's got more than 1 BP.

I don't know user, Paradox is still a pretty noticeable downside.
I mean, Mages still reign supreme, but their throne has some spots you just can't polish out.

>>oh now our shitty black and white universe is starting to get some depth but nope writing a grey universe is too hard.

It was more

>>Ah now we wrote a perfect technocracy handbook that must be taken as propaganda for the technocracy because nobody could ever take them as good guys and we put the stat "brainwashed" so that means this is all to be taken as propaganda.
>>What!? People actually like the technocracy as complicated bad guys? Some people even agree with them? WHY!? HOW!? WW knows all gamers to be antifascist of any kind or form and they are a bunch of nonconformist who only eat in "small or organic" business! THEY ARE WRECKING OUR CREATIVE VISION!!!
>>*gasp* we just remembered we need more money all that organic coke we consume! I guess we can capitalize into our own incompetence and maybe learn that our public doesn't subscribe to our political ideas as much as we think we do and maybe grow up and become a better company.......or we can just put things in place so noone can misread our intent and we can write our shitty factions as much as we can and no amount of luck will save us.

Looks the Seers DO do something good stuff.
They hold back nasty Spirits, they smack down powerful Mages who'd want to fuck with the status quo.
Most of them would rather hoard knowledge for their own use, rather than destroy it as Banishers would.
And they'll still fight just as hard against Scelstus and the Abyss as Mages. More perhaps, as their bosses will have their very soul if they fail.

Well intentioned Seers don't last long, but even someone with bad intentions can save the world. And saving the world is EXACTLY what their Masters want them to do. Well, perhaps not save, but maintain only a certain level of shittiness.

>Dont be mad your antagonist are shitty compared to the glorious Technocracy user.

But..., the Technocracy are the real *heroes* of the WOD.

>Don't believe Reality Deviant propaganda

These are good questions.

>What would it be about? How would it start?
Open ended RPG would be cool. Maybe add some God-Machine stuff as the ultimate antagonist.
>Would you play as a newly made vampire?
Sure, a good way to make a pc at your choice.
>Would your sire get executed for making a childe without permission? Is that even a thing, asking permission for Embracing?

That'd be too rehashy of the old game. I haven't seen anything to suggest that's a thing in the CoD. Please correct me if I'm wrong however.

>Would your Clan be predetermined in character creation or would it be influenced by some kind of tutorial section that tests you for what you'd be suited best?

I like pre-determined in character creation, your sire has slightly different looks depending on the clan.

During "Act 1" would be a good place to choose a bloodline, however.

>Open ended RPG would be cool.

What does this mean? What the hell is the hook that's supposed to pull in people to play the game, other than the fact that it's a vampire game and there hasn't been a good one made since 2004?

It means there's more than one ending depending on your choices.

It's also too hard to actually read about something before you shit on it, apparently.

Okay, but let's forget about the ending for a bit. Tell me about the beginning. Or do you think just the prospect of having multiple endings is enough to pull in new people to play the game?

Look, in Bloodlines, you had an easy start to things. LaCroix puts you out there to do shit for him and he notifies you of what via emails. But you had more than just that going on. You had the whole of Santa Monica to play around in, meet new interesting NPCs, explore the Vampire part of WoD for newbies.

What do you propose there be in the beginning of the game for Requiem to pull in people, to make them want to play more of the game?

My proposition would be a big city as well. You can do quests for your clan and interact with other clans as well. You don't necessarily have to meet with the big players instantly and already be in the eyes of the local bigshot or anything. Hell, I would say your embrace was pretty average, unlike VTM, where you were "special". It's what you do with your unlife.

You can start building a little herd too.

As for enemies, Belial's Brood would be a good foe, besides dumb humans.

As the story progresses, we can move beyond vampires and even have to fight/befriend other monsters in the setting.

What about covenants? Requiem seems to be pretty big on those. What would you make available for the players? Carthians? Lancea? Invictus? Those three seem like the safest options.

Oh yeah good catch, you can dance around the covenants before you have to make a choice. This will inevitably cause some power shifts in the city during the story which you can ultimately push, kind of like you can do with Lacroix if you didn't like him.

Personally, I can't help but think a game set in Ancient Rome would be great. Basically Fall of the Camarilla.

A Vampire game, be oWoD or nWoD, would probably be a lot more enjoyable in some historic periods, like Dark Ages, because you wouldn't have to worry about masquerade breaches.

It can't be any worse that the weird SJW one they made, the one that was sort of a half-assed gamebook. Or the Mage one about the Syrian refugee crisis.

Those were just retarded.

Ah, those, I only saw some brief mention of them. Someone described them as interactive fiction, rather than video games. More mobile shit, than anything else.

You're telling me you didn't like the transgendered vegan thinblood that only feed on vegans and also murder republicans?

They were mobile, but they were mostly shit.

Oh shit, did a book trigger you honey?

Do you need your safe space?

What are you talking about? Sure you didn't misquote?

Tell me about your C20 characters.

You have one, right?

My bad, that comment was meant for

Im working on a cowboy Eshu who has a Chimerical hat and cloak that act like Endure Elements from D&D, and a chimerical dog thats like Dogmeat but better. Hes also a knight of House Liam.

Grand theft blood, huge open city, theres "missions" you can do with various factions/covenants, but otherwise you do wtf you want. Insert the main plot that bumps into you and voila, perfect game!

>You can do quests for your clan and interact with other clans as well.

user, clan is meaningless in requiem

To wat degree does the sight of fire pushes the vampire to Rothschreck in oWoD?
Is a blind vampire less influenced by fire since he cannot see it?
I'm talking about only seeing a fire, not actually touching it

Nice digits.

It depends on the vampire- a particularly cowardly one might enter it if he sees so much as a campfire, but regarding Rotschreck it's usually an all-or-nothing reaction.

Regarding the blind vampire I would say that even if he couldn't see it he could probably still feel the warmth and smell stuff burning which would doubtlessly panic him

Would a vampire be able to use a flaming sword?
I'm coming up with the idea to make the Sheriff in my oWoD campaign a blind Toreador who uses a sword and has some lore of fire thaumathurgy to play with

I think its more surprised by fire, controlled fire is ok in dark ages, as thats the only light source, its when it surprises them or is out of control, or used aggresively at em, seeing somebody light a cig across a roon isnt going to make them freak the fuck out and run for the hills

Vampires are okay with fire if they're in control of it, or its otherwise not an immediate threat. Being near a campfire won't cause Rotschreck unless they actually think they might fall/get pushed in. Holding a flaming sword is perfectly fine, but if it's being used against you that'll cause Rotschreck.

Blind people can still feel heat from fires and hear them burning. Significantly large and hot fires will probably freak out said vampire.

Yeah that's what I said

not seeing the fire is probably scarier than seeing it, so it might cause rotcheck more often in blind vampires ;)

> Body of the Sun: Transform your body into blazing indestructible fire

I know it's a 10-dot power, but holy fuck.

And speaking of which, who the hell even has 10 dot abilities to begin with, other than Antediluvians, Caine and the like?

Just them, and I think there's a thaumatargical ritual that allows you to temporarily use a power outside your dot limit so a 4th as well

So what's the cutoff for an 11th/10th generation vampire in terms of how powerful they can get, i.e. how many dots of some Discipline they can use?

10th generation vampires can only reach 5 dots in a discipline as absolute max.

But they can push past the limit if they manage to lower their generation

Is 10th generation too powerful for PCs or is that acceptable?

Am I the only one who actually thinks the Seers can work as a relatable antagonist if you cast them as the strongest and most reliable force keeping out the abyss?

what's the key difference between WoD and CoD for someone who's only really familiar with CoD?

10th generation is basically the first of the basic generations. From 13th to 10th they all follow the same rules and limitations both in disciplines, blood pools and expendable blood points each turns.

It's not too powerful at all, it still is in the "generally acceptable generations" of most ST.

it's from 9th generation that shit hits the fan

>WoD
The world is on the verge of doom. The apocalypse is closing in, and these are the final days, the end is nigh!

>CoD
We're supernaturals but we don't know shit about ourselves or other supernaturals. Let's try and find our place in the world in this shitfest of supernatural creatures

CoD is better than WoD, thats the key difference, there are loads of other differences but that one is key

Oh alright then. Just reading through VtM stuff, been wondering what'd be acceptable for a newbie to play and what not.

When it comes to Dark Ages: Vampire, is 10th still the norm or is it 9th then?

>local pleb makes his state of being clear

given what you're describing it does sound like you can do a lot more with CoD

NNNNNnnnnnnno. A few of the CoD games are nice, but "is objectively better", absolutely not.

What would you say are the "nice" ones?

Additionally, classic has a more "punk" aesthetic.

System is better, all the love for oWoD comes from #nostalgiafags who are clinging on to the metaplot likes its some fucking twilight novel.

Dark Ages is set more in the past so a few lower generations are more acceptable.
i'm not failiar with the system, but a good guess would be from 10th to 8th generation.

everything lower than that is generally a no zone

Depends on what is your gig.

One is not better than the other, all depends on the feel you want to give to your game and how inventive you are, since the game itself states that it is a game and it's up to the ST to come up with the story, blatantly ignoring part or all the established lore if he wants to

Being older, my guess is that WoD has more stuff and more splats, but quality goes from very good (Werewolf the Apocalypse, Hunter the Reckoning) to absolute shit (Kindred of the East)

CoD is younger and has more space to grow, but i don't know about the quality of single splats since i don't really play it

Depends owod system has highs and downs. Nwod doesnt have neither is just a constant stream of mediocrity.

Wrong.
nWoD ups: Mage, Changeling, Demon
nWoD downs: Geist, Beast

>CoD is younger and has more space to grow, but i don't know about the quality of single splats since i don't really play it

Good: requiem, changeling (1st), vigil

Divisive: awakening, Changeling (2nd)

Who the fuck plays this?: mummy, demon, deviant, promethean

Shit: beast, geist

Can you really blame people for falling in love with the oWoD story? It was fucking unique.

I meant the general system. Lines aside the basic system is mediocre.

Is 2nd changeling even out yet? Also am I the only one who likes D:tD?

I'm not familiar with oWoD so I can't compare easily but what are the big system differences?

How can I get my D&D players to try VTM? I really want to run this but my players are lazy fuckers.

In Demon: The Fallen what's the difference between a Demonic Relic and an Earthbound? Is it just a matter of time before a Demonic Relic becomes an Earthbound?

>Reading Clanbook Gangrel; Revised
>Get to this part

wew lad

I don't get it. What, more desperate people leaving the cities or something?

owod has fixed dicepools with target numbers from 6-10, different health system, makes you roll to soak damage, botches (many versions) are aids and in earlier versions you had the same chance to botch as to succeed no matter dice pools. CoD is a tighter, better sysyem in both incarnations, 2e is even better, though im unsure about beats and hate the word experiences..but figure once i use it i'll get used to it

Well, they're not. Quiescence and Paradox empower the Abyss, and the Seers protect both.

Ideally one with less in the way of shitty railroading than the Fall of the Camarilla gamebook.

Mainly that the thought of the stock market bubble popping was treated so lightly 7 years before the great recession happened.

Puts things into perspective; what else that we're joking about now will be true in a decade or less?

So is WoD not a thing anymore and only CoD is? Or is there some new WoD that is different enough from WoD? Please excuse my idiocy, I only played Mage (nWoD) like twice and that was my only WoD experience.

Wrong in nwod botches were impossible unless the dm put you in a no win scenario or houserule that once you see the dicepool there is no take backs.

To get a dramatic failure you need to get your dicepool reduce to 0 or less, then choose to roll any way. Then you roll a 1d10. 10 is a success and there is no rerolls. 1 is a dramatic failure.

2nd edition is the same only that you can choose to transform a failure into a dramatic failure for a beat (a form of xp). Is basically a fix to the "never happen" of dramatic failures and is just patching the fact that 2nd edition was built on a poor foundation (1st).

WoD and CoD are now two completely different things

Wod is the "Old world of Darkness", who was discontinued in 2004 to make place for the "New World of Darkness"
This until roughly 2010-2011, when nWod became Chronicles of darkness and went its marry way, and the oWoD resurfaced with the 20th anniversay editions of manuals and new and improved splatbooks and sources

So basically now both lines exist and coexist, but they don't have almost anything to do with each other, but there were provided some translations tables to adapt books and sources from a line to the other, in order to give Storytellers more way to make up their own stories

And in addition to all that, there's now a new edition of World of Darkness being made, which some call "One World of Darkness" (seriously,this is the best they could come up with?), which will focus more on rewritting oWoD stuff and adding new things, while nWoD/CofD keep up with whatever they're doing.

i was talking about earlier versions of owod you fucking numnut, where any 1 canceled a success

Ok that makes sense.

So does nWoD/CoD have its own metaplot, continuation of (o)WoD, or does away with metaplot?

nwod/CoD has no metaplot, good or bad as that might be

Nah, nWoD/CofD has no metaplot.

It's more of a personal experience, more focused on you as a player, as an individual, rather than as a part of a whole, if I'm making any sense.

Stargazers are better

Looks like if I were to play one again I'd want nWoD/CoD then. Thanks.

Play 2e mage awakening, then you can shit all over everybody

Is all the Gehenna stuff in Beckett's Jyhad Diary part of this whole rewriting thing?

>i was talking about earlier versions of owod you fucking numnut, where any 1 canceled a success

And i was pointing out how your precious CofD isnt as perfect as you make it out to be, fanboy.

Beckett's Jyhad Diary is done by OPP, if I'm not mistaken. You can consider that as part of the 20th Anniversary pack, rather than anything that's going to be used by White Wolf when their stuff starts coming out.

Did i say it was perfect, i said it was better, argue how it isnt or fuck off.

No, bye bye then

very low often no chance of critical fails is a bad thing?

No because my DM already has a Changelling group with 5-6 people and there's no hope to play anything serious in the near future.

You can still make a character and wank over its character sheet like everybody else..

Dunno if it's a taumaturgy ritual or only dur-an-ki, but in our Assamite game our sorcerer makes flaming swords for me (the warrior) and the vizier constantly.

Actually in my experience it's CoD that is not a thing anymore. Maybe it's because I'm not american but my only contact with CoD has been masqueradefags complaining about Requiem. On the other hand WoD has had some ups and downs but VtM and (to a lesser degree) WtA are there to stay forever in some form or other in the playing community, kinda like D&D or Cthulhu.